Jaylen Waters Hit

Looking around the national and B1G social media sites, most people around the country and conference didn't think
it was dirty at all and applaud him for laying out the fat headhunter. Hope Claeys doesn't suspend him, because
I guarantee you Tracy sat him down pre game and gave him the specific job to key on #99 and pop him a few times.

I still haven't seen a view where we can tell when the play was really over and the whistle blew. Some people are saying it was just after the play was over and the whistle blew, others are saying it was 3 seconds after.

If you are one of the 11 on the field then expect to get hit. Don't think the hit merited being disqualified.

I still haven't seen a view where we can tell when the play was really over and the whistle blew. Some people are saying it was just after the play was over and the whistle blew, others are saying it was 3 seconds after.

Big ten network just tweeted video and it's 3 seconds after play. Long enough after play that 100,000 people had given up on kick and saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a fan video. Pretty clear he initiated the hit about 1 second after the whistle.

http://youtu.be/_GciZQAtVYc

So, yeah late hit. Not three seconds, or eight seconds. But definitely a bit late and callable but still not to the level of ejection IMO. How many times have we seen defenseless QBs, running backs (usually)thrown violently to the ground, oftentimes backwards in a scrum of defenders, well after the whistle blows? Dangerous to knees, ligaments, brains yet I can only recall seeing that called once and that happened to be on Epping during the 2012 bowl game.

Big ten network just tweeted video and it's 3 seconds after play. Long enough after play that 100,000 people had given up on kick and saw it.

This is the only thing I see that the posted. You can't tell exactly when he hits him and when the touchback occurs.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here is a fan video. Pretty clear he initiated the hit about 1 second after the whistle.

So, yeah late hit. Not three seconds, or eight seconds. But definitely a bit late and callable but still not to the level of ejection IMO. How many times have we seen defenseless QBs, running backs (usually)thrown violently to the ground, oftentimes backwards in a scrum of defenders, well after the whistle blows? Dangerous to knees, ligaments, brains yet I can only recall seeing that called once and that happened to be on Epping during the 2012 bowl game.

Thanks. That helps some. You can see one of our players on the left of the screen attempting to block one of their guys 1 second before the hit on the kicker. Yeah no way it was 3 seconds.

If it were any other kicker w/o his history, and if it weren't Penn State and their classy fans I might feel differently. Strong dislike is probably shading my opinion. Funny how that works.

Thanks for finding this. Every player for the Gophers lets up on the whistle except Waters. He gathers himself and charges all after the whistle. This is a penalty and potentially an ejection at every level of football in 2016.

It's amazing they were able to see this "catastrophic" hit from behind the play but later in the game unable to see the lineman playing flag football with Huff's jersey right in front of him as he closed in for the sack.

I think we've hit an impasse. My definition of malicious and catastrophic is clearly different from yours. There was no spearing, cutting, cleating, groin strike, or other potentially catastrophic activity on that play. Uncalled for and late, sure.

Screw that, this is football. 11 vs 11. nothing is dirty or unnecessary on this play as long as the hit is inside the rules. There are no "too far away from the action" rules. Guy is still running down the field, neither player hears a whistle (both still actively engaged), nor does the PSU player in the background. Now if there was a whistle that Waters should have heard.... then ok, then we get into dirty territory. However, the dirty is only due to timing.

Honest question, is there that rule in college football? MSHSL incorporated that rule of last year. If the player isn't going to impact the play basically you can't light them up. Rule if geared to stop peel back blocks on long touchdowns

It's amazing they were able to see this "catastrophic" hit from behind the play but later in the game unable to see the lineman playing flag football with Huff's jersey right in front of him as he closed in for the sack.

I think we've hit an impasse. My definition of malicious and catastrophic is clearly different from yours. There was no spearing, cutting, cleating, groin strike, or other potentially catastrophic activity on that play. Uncalled for and late, sure.

The dive/flop/playing dead is really what sold the refs and perhaps what took it from a late hit to an ejection. If this was hockey the kicker would get 2 minutes for embellishing. In the NBA he would receive a technical foul and possibly be fined.

The dive/flop/playing dead is really what sold the refs and perhaps what took it from a late hit to an ejection. If this was hockey the kicker would get 2 minutes for embellishing. In the NBA he would receive a technical foul and possibly be fined.

It was totally flopping and I hope Claeys doesn't feel the need to discipline Waters more. I look forward to the big guy getting lit-up more this season.

Honest question, is there that rule in college football? MSHSL incorporated that rule of last year. If the player isn't going to impact the play basically you can't light them up. Rule if geared to stop peel back blocks on long touchdowns

It's at every level of football and been that way for a few years. It was trickle down from Warren Sapp lighting up a Packer a number of years ago.

It's at every level of football and been that way for a few years. It was trickle down from Warren Sapp lighting up a Packer a number of years ago.

Thanks. It is hard to keep the three levels of football straight!

It was totally flopping and I hope Claeys doesn't feel the need to discipline Waters more. I look forward to the big guy getting lit-up more this season.

Waters doesn't deserve any additional punishment but people need to stop acting like he wasn't headhunting. What Waters did was a cheap shot, the kick was a no doubt touchback, the kicker was well behind the play and slowing down when Waters takes a run at him. Not only that, if he was blocking on a normal return you would want to engage the player in order to wall him off from where your return man is going not go for a killshot.

It was a dirty/stupid play, deserved a penalty, probably didn't deserve an ejection, doesn't deserve any additional punishment.

He hit him with his hands, it was not a targeting call. Personal foul call maybe because the hit was late but not targeting.
That J-ckoff Kool-Aide man kicker was looking to make a name for himself all game cheap shotting #35 and hitting him all game and Gopher players.
I'm not afraid to think even if it was a late hit that coach didn't mind Watters hitting the Kool-Aide man kicker to shut his butt up.
If your going to act like a real player and run down trying to hit people than you need to behave like a real football player and not flop like Kool-Aide man Julius kicker did. It was not as dirty a hit as the flopper made it out to be.

Waters doesn't deserve any additional punishment but people need to stop acting like he wasn't headhunting. What Waters did was a cheap shot, the kick was a no doubt touchback, the kicker was well behind the play and slowing down when Waters takes a run at him. Not only that, if he was blocking on a normal return you would want to engage the player in order to wall him off from where your return man is going not go for a killshot.

It was a dirty/stupid play, deserved a penalty, probably didn't deserve an ejection, doesn't deserve any additional punishment.

I don't think we watched the same play. And we definitely did not have the same football coach. Your coach taught you to "dance" with the person you were blocking, my coach would have had me running sprints if I did what you are saying. Although I agree it was an unnecessary hit, waters didn't take a run at him and blow him up. He basically stood his ground, gave him a push and the kicker embellished it like a true soccer player. Waters didn't lower his helmet and pop him, he just pushed him and the kicker jumped up and flipped over and played dead for a few seconds.

Danny Kannel has been getting into Twitter arguments with Penn St fans this morning not so much defending Waters, but saying Julius deserved to get blasted. Looks like they'll do a little segment on it at 3:15 Est on ESPN News. Their show, Russillo and Kannel, is pretty good radio...lots of College football content

Rusillo and Kanell did talk about it today on their show and they both really ripped into the kicker for him faking the injury.

Rusillo and Kanell did talk about it today on their show and they both really ripped into the kicker for him faking the injury.

Not only that, but half of PSU's team and coaches ran out onto the field. They should have been flagged. Can't do that.

I thought it was one of the most blatant flops I've ever seen. Can't believe it held up on replay and they ejected the player. Flag for late hit is fine if it was late. Ejection was ridiculous.

Not only that, but half of PSU's team and coaches ran out onto the field. They should have been flagged. Can't do that.

Players came on the field during a change of possession and nothing happened, everyone kept their cool. What are you going to call? By the film our players went on the field as well. Nothing to call in that situation other than the penalty that was called against Waters and get players back to their bench.

Players came on the field during a change of possession and nothing happened, everyone kept their cool. What are you going to call? By the film our players went on the field as well. Nothing to call in that situation other than the penalty that was called against Waters and get players back to their bench.

That's not the rule. The rule is you can't be on the field unless you're coming in or out of the game. PSU had 20 guys out there and the video Franklin is seen hurriedly grabbing several players and getting them off the field. Straight from the NCAA:

During the game, coaches, substitutes and authorized attendants in
the team area shall not be on the field of play or outside the 25-yard
lines without permission from the referee unless legally entering or
leaving the field.

That's not the rule. The rule is you can't be on the field unless you're coming in or out of the game. PSU had 20 guys out there and the video Franklin is seen hurriedly grabbing several players and getting them off the field. Straight from the NCAA:

leaving the field.

10 could have already been on the field and the other 10 could have been coming onto the field for all anyone knows, it is not like the benches cleared. As for Franklin he could have been going out to check on his injured player laying motionless on the turf trying to draw the red card.

The only real dispute on that play is whether or not Waters deserved an ejection (I don't think he did). Nothing Penn State did on that play deserved a flag.

leaving the field.

Ok, so it's a sideline warning with no penalty enforcement on both teams.

I don't know how you define "killshot", but my definition would not include a shoulder to shoulder hit.

Top Bottom