Jamison Battle to enter the Transfer Portal

Ben may not be a bad coach, he may just actually be a bad recruiter and roster constructor.
I am afraid everything adds up to the simple fact that Ben isn’t a competitor. From Game day to ‘ they remain close’. He doesn’t have ‘it’. Pitino let him walk as a recruiter because he was recommending Taurus Samuels like talent.

I am afraid everything adds up to the simple fact that Ben isn’t a competitor. From Game day to ‘ they remain close’. He doesn’t have ‘it’. Pitino let him walk as a recruiter because he was recommending Taurus Samuels like talent.
Let's be fair. It also might be that he's emotionally intelligent. The expression about not burning bridges applies in all kinds of relationships. You never know!

There was no speculation in what I posted, it was a complete recounting of what happened. Battle was preseason all B1G, he was on the preseason watchlist for national best small forward.

Do you think Battle actually got less skilled from last year to this year? That his offseason practice actually made him worse? Whose job is it to get the team to jell, its the coaches' job. Did Battle jell with the team in year 1, he most certainly did, so it's not that Battle is a person who can't get along. Battle played worse because of the roster construction and playing him out of position, those are all coaches' decisions.

I guarantee Battle will go to a different program and have much more success because the coach will know how to put his players in a position to succeed, so the variable will not be Battle. He knows it as well, that's why his position is anywhere but here.

You are the one creating conjecture ("Maybe the other guys on the team didn't like him.") and making up reasons to support your desired outcome, I guess you will accept any reason accept coaching.
Thank You

He was our best player on a better team last season
He was our best player on a better team last season
No, Willis was slightly more valuable overall. Battle was very good last year. He was not this year. We can speculate on why. You say the coach used him wrong. I say he had both physical pain and mental issues relating to his deteriorating pro prospects.

Missing shots led to forcing shots and missing more shots. He might have been stressed to realize Garcia was a better player at the 4 and that he would need to adjust.

The coach played his best player at his best position. That was correct. It was not Ben who made Battle force up bad 25-footers. It was not Ben who told him never to post his man up and to shoot a handful of free throws all year.

If he doesn't go pro, I hope he has success at his next stop. He seems to be a good guy and an exemplary student athlete and is deserving of a chance to compete in the postseason. Wherever he goes, I expect him to make some big shots.
You don't go pro because you want to. You go pro when someone offers you a real contract from a real professional team. He played himself out of that opportunity and hopes to regain the chance with a final good college season.

He can't do that at Minnesota playing in a mental funk because Garcia is manning the role he wants.

The team was better with Battle and lower level guards than it was with Battle, Garcia and Cooper, who were 'better' than the low level transfers they brought in last season, plus 'talented freshman'. Maybe Battle isn't the issue, as some continue to make it out to be.
Willis and Loewe were "lower level" guards? I see why you are having so much trouble with this.

So explain to me how Ben's plan was to now recruit over his best player on a last place team, to make them even worse because they couldn't play together? Even you tried to make Battle a SG prior to the season when I said this team had no guards, and defend how they were going to be better because of it.

Battle was one of Ben's first and best recruits here, told everyone how great it was to be playing back at home, and now he's bailing on Ben with eligibility remaining. The people that are now ok with Battle leaving, are generally the same that continue to defend the disaster that is Ben.
The team was better with Battle and lower level guards than it was with Battle, Garcia and Cooper, who were 'better' than the low level transfers they brought in last season, plus 'talented freshman'. Maybe Battle isn't the issue, as some continue to make it out to be.
1679233794648.jpeg

Willis scored 16 points per game on 47% FG shooting and almost 43% 3 point shooting and had 5 rebounds and 4 assists per game. Lower level indeed.....:rolleyes:

And he did that on a last place B1G team. Which high level teams recruited him?

The coach played his best player at his best position. That was correct. It was not Ben who made Battle force up bad 25-footers. It was not Ben who told him never to post his man up and to shoot a handful of free throws all year.

Sounds like 'there's nothing Ben could do'. What's a coaches job again?

No, Willis was slightly more valuable overall. Battle was very good last year. He was not this year. We can speculate on why. You say the coach used him wrong. I say he had both physical pain and mental issues relating to his deteriorating pro prospects.

Missing shots led to forcing shots and missing more shots. He might have been stressed to realize Garcia was a better player at the 4 and that he would need to adjust.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned since trying to avoid the resident dipshit I've skipped a lot of pages. But it really struck me that after Battle hit his game winner, he looked like it he was more angry than happy. It seemed to be a FU look when he looked around. Probably trying to read the tea leaves too much.

Most of us who said it was because he played out of position called it before the season started. If he plays SF, he will struggle.

Sounds like 'there's nothing Ben could do'. What's a coaches job again?
Coach can't shoot for his players. Coach can't work to get open. He can't post up a smaller guy. The only fouls a coach can draw are Ts.

Battle played poorly for reasons none of us knows.

Coach can't shoot for his players. Coach can't work to get open. He can't post up a smaller guy. The only fouls a coach can draw are Ts.

Battle played poorly for reasons none of us knows.

Yup, the coach is not responsible to put players in the best positions to be open and have success. It's totally on the players to figure it out for themselves.

Most of us who said it was because he played out of position called it before the season started. If he plays SF, he will struggle.
Then you would have had him on the bench, filling in for Garcia five minutes a game.

Yup, the coach is not responsible to put players in the best positions to be open and have success. It's totally on the players to figure it out for themselves.
You act as though players sit on chairs with rollers and the coach pushes the chairs around to "put players in positions to be open and have success".

That is actually hilarious.

You act as though players sit on chairs with rollers and the coach pushes the chairs around to "put players in positions to be open and have success".

That is actually hilarious.

What does a coach do then? Basically you're telling me Jamison just did whatever he wanted to.

Then you would have had him on the bench, filling in for Garcia five minutes a game.
No we wouldn't.

First, a horrible version of Battle was still a better alternative than we had at SF. However, playing him out of position definitely made him a worse player.

Second, I think your math is off even if you only wanted him to play the 4.

5 - Payne (25 minutes) / Garcia (15 minutes)
4 - Garcia (20 minutes) / Battle (20 minutes)

Top Bottom