Jamison Battle to enter the Transfer Portal

After a bad year, a horrible year- a little turnover of the old guard isn't bad. It wasn't working. I have said that Battle is a good player who will fit as a complementary guy.

Do you think for one moment he was going to change and become a complimentary player here? No chance. It often takes a change of scenery to do that. I think Battle will do more in 25 minutes somewhere else, playing within himself than playing 37 minutes here and chucking any shot he pleased (and yes Ben should have sat him on occasion for that).

No...like I said he was not a great player. I am not crying he left, but I am not going to pretend that his leaving is a good thing either. The crap roster Ben put together is part of the reason Battle stunk and denying that is just ludicrous. He built a team that required Battle to play out of position and way too may minutes and Battle/the team suffered for it. If he goes to a team that has any depth whatsoever he will make us look like fools.

This is the same problem Pitino had. He never built his team to be anything beyond the first few names on the bench. Gabe as a 4th or 5th option is awesome. The more minutes he has to play and the more you rely on him to be your big point getter the more likely he falters. Battle is similar. If he came back he would stink again because Ben would rely on him to be one of the top offensive options...which he is just not supposed to be.

The team as built is a friggin disaster, and while we can all cross our fingers and pray that some amazing transfers are going to come in and save the day you and I both know the smart money says we get a bunch of role players and the team struggles all over the place. Battle's play was a symptom of a much bigger problem and we aren't really going to be able to solve that in one year.

Lol!

Comparing Cooper to Carr is an insult to Carr. Cooper can’t drive like Carr or shoot like Carr.

Comparing Battle to Gabe is an insult to Gabe. Gabe just made the Big12 all defensive team, Battle couldn’t make the Gopher all defensive team.

I wasn't trying to compare any of them 1:1 as players. They are all different players. But they were all major contributors to the few amount of wins we had while they were here.

The negative comments and relative happiness related to Carr and Gabe leaving is similar to the comments we see now with Battle and Cooper. We keep losing these players and our program is just getting worse and worse, while they go to better programs and win.

The only way we were ever going to be successful is to keep these players around and add better players to play with them. Instead people continue to kick them on the way out and the forthcoming results are easily predictable.

No...like I said he was not a great player. I am not crying he left, but I am not going to pretend that his leaving is a good thing either. The crap roster Ben put together is part of the reason Battle stunk and denying that is just ludicrous. He built a team that required Battle to play out of position and way too may minutes and Battle/the team suffered for it. If he goes to a team that has any depth whatsoever he will make us look like fools.
It all depends what Ben replaces him with. Should we be confident? Of course not. Hopeful? Why not?
This is the same problem Pitino had. He never built his team to be anything beyond the first few names on the bench. Gabe as a 4th or 5th option is awesome. The more minutes he has to play and the more you rely on him to be your big point getter the more likely he falters. Battle is similar. If he came back he would stink again because Ben would rely on him to be one of the top offensive options...which he is just not supposed to be.
He would stink again at the 3. I would not get rid of Garcia at the 4- would you? I don't think that Battle has any plan to play a complementary role and he may be in for a surprise if he expects on at a big time school. Yes we had a crap roster and we need a better one next year.
The team as built is a friggin disaster, and while we can all cross our fingers and pray that some amazing transfers are going to come in and save the day you and I both know the smart money says we get a bunch of role players and the team struggles all over the place. Battle's play was a symptom of a much bigger problem and we aren't really going to be able to solve that in one year.
The team as built is not the team that will play next year. It will be much better!

I think he'd be a great 6th man coming off the bench, for some quick offense or some kinda role like that. After watching all the games this weekend there's a lot of players that are so much more complete than he is. He's a nice addition to a team, but probably not the guy you want to carry your team. I could be wrong but that's what I see.
This is correct. 8-12 minutes and 6-8 points off the bench on a sweet 16 team? I think he could do that.
35 minutes? That’s a 14th place Team

What it should tell you is other high level programs saw how Ben doesn’t know how to coach and run an offense. Coaches with actual head coaching experience recognize that. Unless he makes progress in offensive and defensive schemes will be a bottom dweller until a new coach is hired
I think you are on to something!

There is no contest between Battle and Carr. Battle is just a far better player. Both hogged the ball.

Stat lines for their final Gopher year

Carr
19pts/4rebs/5assists/1.3 steals/38%FG shooting/80%FT/31.7% 3 pt shooting

Carr scored 1.24 pts per shot - got himself to the FT line

Battle
12pts/ 4rebs/1.7assists/.6steals/37%FG shooting/78%FT/31.1% 3 point shooting
Battle scored just under 1 point per shot- rarely got to the line

Battle also was injured to start the year which was likely one of the reasons he struggled, in addition to a lack of guards, and playing out of position.

On a slightly better team last year he put up:
17.5pts/ 6rebs/45%FG shooting/76%FT/37% 3 point shooting

That was very similar to what he put up his previous season at GW. Only Carr and Oturu have put up better scoring numbers since Vincent Grier played here nearly 20 years ago.

But let's just forget about all that. This offensively challenged team doesn't need to try and get that type of production out of him again. Our 2 win team will totally be better off without him!

There is no contest between Battle and Carr. Battle is just a far better player. Both hogged the ball.

Stat lines for their final Gopher year

Carr
19pts/4rebs/5assists/1.3 steals/38%FG shooting/80%FT/31.7% 3 pt shooting

Carr scored 1.24 pts per shot - got himself to the FT line

Battle
12pts/ 4rebs/1.7assists/.6steals/37%FG shooting/78%FT/31.1% 3 point shooting
Battle scored just under 1 point per shot- rarely got to the line

Both were minus defenders for their positions.

Gabe- while his stats were not great on offense -was a really good defender- which obviously Cooper, other than shot blocking, was not.
If you look at the Big 12 website stats for conference only you can see why he was all conference 2nd team and all defense team. He had a really good conference season.

Battle also was injured to start the year which was likely one of the reasons he struggled, in addition to a lack of guards, and playing out of position.

On a slightly better team last year he put up:
17.5pts/ 6rebs/45%FG shooting/76%FT/37% 3 point shooting

That was very similar to what he put up his previous season at GW. Only Carr and Oturu have put up better scoring numbers since Vincent Grier played here nearly 20 years ago.

But let's just forget about all that. This offensively challenged team doesn't need to try and get that type of production out of him again. Our 2 win team will totally be better off without him!
2 wins! Let's have the same roster and the same shot chucker that had the worst efficiency on the team do it again!

No thanks. And by the way- he doesn't want to be part of fixing it. I like the growth I saw from Payne, JOJ, Carrington and Garcia ( who was better later than earlier in my view). I am going to put my hope in the guys that want to stay and get better, not a guy who wanted to chuck up shots from the stands.

I’m a Battle guy and hope he finds his landing spot. He deserves success as he played hard and was a good Gopher rep. I looked for him to post up but playing with his back to basket
didn’t seem to fit. Finding someone that shoots 31% from 3 will be no problem. Finding someone to average 12ppg is more if a challenge.

2 wins! Let's have the same roster and the same shot chucker that had the worst efficiency on the team do it again!

No thanks. And by the way- he doesn't want to be part of fixing it. I like the growth I saw from Payne, JOJ, Carrington and Garcia ( who was better later than earlier in my view). I am going to put my hope in the guys that want to stay and get better, not a guy who wanted to chuck up shots from the stands.
He did take some ridiculous shots

He wanted no part in fixing it? He was literally Ben's first recruit here and did nothing but promote returning home and playing for the Gophers and rebuilding the program under Ben.

After 2 last place finishes, he couldn't leave fast enough. That tells you all you need to know about Ben and this roster. He'll go play for a more competent coach and a better team next season. He knows this team has no shot of winning next year, but keep up the delusional hope.

He wanted no part in fixing it? He was literally Ben's first recruit here and did nothing but promote returning home and playing for the Gophers and rebuilding the program under Ben.

After 2 last place finishes, he couldn't leave fast enough. That tells you all you need to know about Ben and this roster. He'll go play for a more competent coach and a better team next season. He knows this team has no shot of winning next year, but keep up the delusional hope.
Lol at no chance of winning next year. All Ben’s fault and Battle played like an all American this year.

Last edited:

Here's the thing GWG- I am a Gopher fan, I know you are too. I was critical of the coach all year. I didn't want them to hire him because I thought he had no experience and this is a very, very tough job. At the end of the year, I saw improvement and I faced the facts that there is no easy way out. They weren't going to fire him. So I could whine about it all summer or root for him to get some good players to go with a roster that I think has potential. I think Ben has potential. I am going to hope for the best for the coming year and pull for him to get it done. The guys that leave, okay, that's fine, but I am a Gopher fan, not a Battle fan. All the best to him, but I think he can be replaced, especially considering his performance of last year.

Lol at no chance of winning next year. All Ben’s fault and Battle played like an all American this year.
It is all Ben's fault, he is the coach, but I think they have a shot next year. We just need like 3 good guards.

Battle didn't play like an All American, he was a less than average Big 10 player, however a less than average Big 10 player is much better than most of the players on our teams.

But I think this is where people disagree with you. As bad as Battle might have been he was probably still better than JOJ and Carrington last year. JOJ is close but most metrics would probably favor Battle. JOJ was more efficient and a slightly better rebounder and Battle didn't have 4 turnovers for every 1 assist like JOJ.

So, we're excited about JOJ but Battle is just a chucker.

For me, I think Battle is still one of the most talented players on the team. I'm not surprised at his interest in the portal. I've seen him be a really good Big 10 player and I don't see any reason why wit minor adjustments he couldn't be back there.

I'll move on and root for the team regardless, but for me, it was a loss. I just don't see how replacing him with a year of Jackson Purcell on scholly helps the program.

It is all Ben's fault, he is the coach, but I think they have a shot next year. We just need like 3 good guards.

Battle didn't play like an All American, he was a less than average Big 10 player, however a less than average Big 10 player is much better than most of the players on our teams.
I’m pretty sure the post you are responding to is sarcasm. But my meter might be off kilter.

But I think this is where people disagree with you. As bad as Battle might have been he was probably still better than JOJ and Carrington last year. JOJ is close but most metrics would probably favor Battle. JOJ was more efficient and a slightly better rebounder and Battle didn't have 4 turnovers for every 1 assist like JOJ.

So, we're excited about JOJ but Battle is just a chucker.

For me, I think Battle is still one of the most talented players on the team. I'm not surprised at his interest in the portal. I've seen him be a really good Big 10 player and I don't see any reason why wit minor adjustments he couldn't be back there.

I'll move on and root for the team regardless, but for me, it was a loss. I just don't see how replacing him with a year of Jackson Purcell on scholly helps the program.
Battle is in his 4th year and JOJ in his 1st- so yeah I like JOJ's potential better and no he didn't get the minutes nor did he chuck up shots like Battle but he was FAR more efficient than Battle- for every shot JOJ scored 1.3 pts- Battle about .98 pts/shot.

Battle is not the most talented player that WAS on the team, he was the best pure shooter. I am pretty certain that if the play HORSE in a gym- he wins. But he is not quick, he plays marginal defense, he rarely went to the foul line and he shot a low percentage because of poor shot selection. He's gone, he's not a Gopher, so good luck to him. I am rooting for the Gophers.

Injuries seem more like bad luck to start of the tenure but would agree that we need two guards that can break the press but Christie is going to be a stud. Hopefully Carrington continues to improve.

Battle is better off being the 3rd or 4th option. Defense needs to improve a lot. Wish him well.

It all depends what Ben replaces him with. Should we be confident? Of course not. Hopeful? Why not?

He would stink again at the 3. I would not get rid of Garcia at the 4- would you? I don't think that Battle has any plan to play a complementary role and he may be in for a surprise if he expects on at a big time school. Yes we had a crap roster and we need a better one next year.

The team as built is not the team that will play next year. It will be much better!
Trust me, I hope you are right...hell I will do a happy dance to eat crow! I just dont see it.

Injuries seem more like bad luck to start of the tenure but would agree that we need two guards that can break the press but Christie is going to be a stud. Hopefully Carrington continues to improve.

Battle is better off being the 3rd or 4th option. Defense needs to improve a lot. Wish him well.
It's sports, people get injured. I don't think we were exceptionally injury prone. In fact, most the injuries occurred at positions of strength. I am not sure where Fox and Ihnen would have even played last year

Battle was a really good #2 option in 2021. I think it's just about playing him at his natural position.

Battle is in his 4th year and JOJ in his 1st- so yeah I like JOJ's potential better and no he didn't get the minutes nor did he chuck up shots like Battle but he was FAR more efficient than Battle- for every shot JOJ scored 1.3 pts- Battle about .98 pts/shot.

Battle is not the most talented player that WAS on the team, he was the best pure shooter. I am pretty certain that if the play HORSE in a gym- he wins. But he is not quick, he plays marginal defense, he rarely went to the foul line and he shot a low percentage because of poor shot selection. He's gone, he's not a Gopher, so good luck to him. I am rooting for the Gophers.
He is a more efficient scorer. He isn't a more efficient offensive player. JOJ had 4 turnovers for every assist. Battle was about 1:1.

He is a more efficient scorer. He isn't a more efficient offensive player. JOJ had 4 turnovers for every assist. Battle was about 1:1.
I am excited about JOJ's future and the growth he showed. I don't think he had a single assist the first 13 games, 1 in his first 16 games. Then he averaged close to 1 per game the rest of the way. He needs to become a better passer - and he will. I think next year he will be one of the top 7/8 guys and be a real nice fit alongside Garcia and Payne and give us another guy that can slash to the basket and provide athleticism that we sorely need. JOJ's ceiling is higher than Battle's

I'm going to try to explain my "hope like hell" position. I'm not delusional. This past season was a suckfest wrapped in a shitshow and served on a bed of steaming crap.

Barring some significant change in the current situation, Johnson will be the only horse we have for coaching the 2023-24 season. Therefore, I've got two choices: 1. Saddle up or 2. Quit riding until we hire a new coach. I have zero ability to change out the horse. We're stuck with the horse we got for at least another 12 months. I can pound my fists, throw tantrums and scream until I'm purple in the face. It won't change a goddamn thing. That is the brutal truth.

So, I figure, what the hell. I don't want to quit riding, so I may as well saddle up, hope for the best and hope Johnson gets it figured out. I personally have my doubts, but I've been wrong before. If it amounts to another flaming bag of turds next season, then this experiment most likely will come to a merciful end. I have an unwavering belief we will prevail - eventually. Timing TBD, but hopefully before I croak. When that happens, we can all come together, get totally shitfaced and reminisce about "remember when we sucked really bad?" while our team prepares for their Sweet 16 matchup. :)

I am excited about JOJ's future and the growth he showed. I don't think he had a single assist the first 13 games, 1 in his first 16 games. Then he averaged close to 1 per game the rest of the way. He needs to become a better passer - and he will. I think next year he will be one of the top 7/8 guys and be a real nice fit alongside Garcia and Payne and give us another guy that can slash to the basket and provide athleticism that we sorely need. JOJ's ceiling is higher than Battle's
I’m not ripping on JOJ, it’s not really an either/or thing. I just think odds are that Battle will be better than JOJ next season and IMO there is probably a better than 50% chance JOJ never has a season as good as Battle’s 2021.

It’s not saying it’s the end of the world but I don’t think we get better faster with decent players leaving. Even if they are only decent because of the alternatives. I feel the same way with cooper.

Now if we use up our scholarships with players with tons of potential or better than battle and cooper, I’ll gladly be wrong.

The Henley loss hurt. Cooper and Battle while 2 of our best 4 players this year, were not fits at their positions in the Big Ten. That was obvious. I wish we would have keep them as rotation players but it is understandable that they wouldn't want that. Hoping to keep all 5 off of a 2 win team is also puzzling. The challenge is for Ben to replace them with better fits and upgrade the speed of this team. If he can't he's toast.

I have no doubt about this- the team of Payne, Garcia, JOJ, Carrington and Christie with Fox, Ihnen and Betts with a year of development is better than the team we started this year with. That's a 5-6 win team. There is a glaring need for a couple of guards that can handle and shoot in order to get to 8 plus wins.
I ageee with this. Payne, JOJ really improved and will continue to grow next year as will Carrington. Payne will be a star in two years

The team was better with Battle and lower level guards than it was with Battle, Garcia and Cooper, who were 'better' than the low level transfers they brought in last season, plus 'talented freshman'. Maybe Battle isn't the issue, as some continue to make it out
The team was better with Battle and lower level guards than it was with Battle, Garcia and Cooper, who were 'better' than the low level transfers they brought in last season, plus 'talented freshman'. Maybe Battle isn't the issue, as some continue to make it out to be.
This is false, the team in 21-22 had considerably better guard play with Payton Willis, Loewe and Stephens. That helped Battle at the four. Then Garcia came in who is a better player and Battle struggled with his new role and lesser guard support.
t

Thinking JOJ's potential is better than Battle's is absurd. He's a smaller version of Battle with less of an outside shot. He was our 6'5" starting center for half of this season, which was just another one of Ben's absurdities in handling the starting lineup this year.

JOJ can provide offense off the bench, but he doesn't have a position defensively. You keep thinking he can be a 3 and but he doesn't have anywhere close to the skillset to be a 3. Battle is more of a 3 than JOJ and he's not a 3 either.

Of any of the freshman left, he's the least likely to see playing time if the team improves. If Fox can play this year, he will eat up a lot of JOJ's playing time. He will never average nearly 18 PPG in the B1G.

Last edited:

Top Bottom