Jamison Battle to enter the Transfer Portal

Bolded is correct. And what is being said is that the department doesn't want to feel forced or coerced into bending its minimum requirements to get someone in (our of a likely large pool of applicants) just because they're "special" as an athlete.

Likely not the only department at the U that has rigorous minimum requirements and an actual application process to be admitted into the program (beyond just being admitted to the University).

Good post. Also remember that "minimum" standards are not the same thing as the actual standards. If you fail to meet the minimum, you're excluded from consideration but not necessarily admitted.

The business college at Indiana has a very good reputation. I'd be surprised if admission to their program was easy. Most Big Ten business colleges are well regarded.

Remember a couple of things:

1) Graduate business programs are relatively small compared to the undergraduate programs; and

2) Minimum standards are not particularly indicative of the actual admission standards for a particular group. Depends upon the number and quality of applications.

Let's suppose a graduate business program will admit 50 students and announces a minimum GPA of 3.0 and possibly a certain minimum GMAT score (if applicable, not all programs require them anymore). That 3.0 minimum threshold simply excludes you from consideration of you're below that. Exceeding that threshold doesn't guarantee you admission.

If there are 150 applicants who apply and 75 of them have a GPA of 3.5 or better, there's a good chance you're not getting in if your GPA stands at 3.25.
If you look at the criteria for both programs I think you’ll find it looks correct. Forget easy vs not easy; think more about market (this is a message board, my original answer is tailored to purpose).

Indiana is serving and attracting accross the state. They have Notre dame, Purdue, Indiana, st, and some smaller satellites.

We have UMN - serving the highest concentration of high level business outside of NY (or it at least, was in the last decade). Thus our market and that specific program is tailored to our local business community demand.

That is likely to get better over time just like Carlson doubled in size, as a school like Madison was becoming more selective. It’s relatively new program here, and is likely being built out.

Additionally, it consistant with Ben and Dave T to have considered Battle’s ultimate intrests. I knew those guys a long time ago; I can attest that they are not small men. They would absolutely not hesitate to tell Battle not to hold himself back for a year of basketball vs something that would serve him for a lifetime.

He likely knows he has limited future in basektball. There will be other work to do. He got two degrees already. If its true we didn’t have his degree from GW, and he’s in the analytics program I wouldn’t put it past them to have encouraged him to see his options, while simultaneously inviting him back. All of this is speculation, but it all also does fit the reality.

If you look at the criteria for both programs I think you’ll find it looks correct. Forget easy vs not easy; think more about market (this is a message board, my original answer is tailored to purpose).

Indiana is serving and attracting accross the state. They have Notre dame, Purdue, Indiana, st, and some smaller satellites.

We have UMN - serving the highest concentration of high level business outside of NY (or it at least, was in the last decade). Thus our market and that specific program is tailored to our local business community demand.

That is likely to get better over time just like Carlson doubled in size, as a school like Madison was becoming more selective. It’s relatively new program here, and is likely being built out.

Additionally, it consistant with Ben and Dave T to have considered Battle’s ultimate intrests. I knew those guys a long time ago; I can attest that they are not small men. They would absolutely not hesitate to tell Battle not to hold himself back for a year of basketball vs something that would serve him for a lifetime.

He likely knows he has limited future in basektball. There will be other work to do. He got two degrees already. If its true we didn’t have his degree from GW, and he’s in the analytics program I wouldn’t put it past them to have encouraged him to see his options, while simultaneously inviting him back. All of this is speculation, but it all also does fit the reality.

Good post. That is true. Indiana has more regional competition. I will say that Indiana graduates are hardly limited to working in Indiana metros. They are closer to multiple metro markets than we are here. I met a fair number of them when working in the Chicago area.

lol.....you and GWG are digging way too deep into this comparison. I have no interest in trying to rank coaches across sports against each other. But sure to this point in his run Johnson has been even worse than Brewster.

First time head coaches, in over their heads, viewed as a disaster by the fan base, (and assuming things don't get better under Johnson) fired after just a couple of seasons.......no need to dig deeper into it than that.
You are all right and wrong.

The comparison between the two is obvious. They were both assistants who were/are in over their heads.

The comparison starts to fade when it comes to success. Brewster saw some. Ben has not sniffed any success at all.

The comparison between the two is obvious. They were both assistants who were/are in over their heads.

The comparison starts to fade when it comes to success. Brewster saw some. Ben has not sniffed any success at all.
Brewster's level of success got him fired part way through his 4th season.

We can split hairs about total wins and what not but that isn't the point. Brewster is regarded as one of the worst football coaches ever at the U of M. If things continue on their current trajectory Johnson will end up going down as possibly the worst coach in the history of Gopher Basketball.

Yes, Johnson would be worse overall......but does that really matter when discussing coaches that were viewed as trainwrecks?

Isn't that what he said here:

"But sure to this point in his run Johnson has been even worse than Brewster."

Yes, Johnson would be worse overall......but does that really matter when discussing coaches that were viewed as trainwrecks?

Not so much unless you're invested in the view that Ben Johnson is the absolute nadir of athletic coaches and inhabits a netherworld where normal failures could never descend.

Not so much unless you're invested in the view that Ben Johnson is the absolute nadir of athletic coaches and inhabits a netherworld where normal failures could never descend.
It has honestly been so odd seeing people defend Brewster from this comparison. Brew has been destroyed on this board for years but apparently comparing him to Johnson is a bridge too far for some.

It has honestly been so odd seeing people defend Brewster from this comparison. Brew has been destroyed on this board for years but apparently comparing him to Johnson is a bridge too far for some.

Yes, one could call it an online lynch mob mentality. Of course, Brewster has been gone a long time so the anger over his tenure mostly has subsided.

Isn't that what he said here:

"But sure to this point in his run Johnson has been even worse than Brewster."
He's had about sixty responses. It is hard to keep track.

Why are people arguing with you? Eye test and stats say Garcia was vastly superior on both sides of the ball.

Battle looked like a stater or a mid-tier mid-major team. He has huge limitations, and offers nothing if he isn't scoring.
The team was way worse this year than last year on both sides of the ball. Individual stats, schmindividual stats. Eye test? Eye roll. Useless. Give me data every time and the only thing that matters is how the team did.

Who is defending him? Stop. Saying "he won some games" is not a defense that is stating a fact. Ben has won a few games too that isn't a defense of him.

We aren't even complimenting Brewster (which some around here still do) we are saying, there are games he coached that the team won, and that is more impressive than the amount of times Ben has done that. We have also said he should have been fired, were glad he was fired and he should have never been coach. If that is defending a coach then this board is the happiest place on Earth. :oops::ROFLMAO:

I think you need to go back and re-read what was said and what it was in response to.

Yes, one could call it an online lynch mob mentality. Of course, Brewster has been gone a long time so the anger over his tenure mostly has subsided.

Oh my god, either you havent actually read what was posted or you are flat out just trolling. Your logic is so flawed it is kind of astounding.

No one has defended Brewster, everyone still despises his run as coach. Saying Ben Johnson is worse is not some pat on the back for Brew. If I hate Mussolini but hate Hitler more that doesn't mean Mussolini is a great guy.

My lord...online lynch mob too friggin funny.

Oh my god, either you havent actually read what was posted or you are flat out just trolling. Your logic is so flawed it is kind of astounding.

No one has defended Brewster, everyone still despises his run as coach. Saying Ben Johnson is worse is not some pat on the back for Brew. If I hate Mussolini but hate Hitler more that doesn't mean Mussolini is a great guy.

Relax! I wasn't talking about you. You seem to be fair and choose your words fairly carefully.

Who is defending him? Stop. Saying "he won some games" is not a defense that is stating a fact. Ben has won a few games too that isn't a defense of him.

We aren't even complimenting Brewster (which some around here still do) we are saying, there are games he coached that the team won, and that is more impressive than the amount of times Ben has done that. We have also said he should have been fired, were glad he was fired and he should have never been coach. If that is defending a coach then this board is the happiest place on Earth. :oops::ROFLMAO:

I think you need to go back and re-read what was said and what it was in response to.
lol...this whole thing has gotten pretty stupid. It was a throw away comparison meant to be taken at a very basic level.

No prior head coaching experience, in over their head, fired or potentially fired early........regarded as a horrible hire.

On the subject of defending though I was accused of defending Johnson at all costs after lumping him in with Brewster....not sure how that works. :)

For me, it's a bridge too far because it drastically undersells how bad our basketball program is right now.

The team was way worse this year than last year on both sides of the ball. Individual stats, schmindividual stats. Eye test? Eye roll. Useless. Give me data every time and the only thing that matters is how the team did.
We didn't have Willis or anyone like him. Loewe, Stephens and Sutherlin combined with Willis to give us pretty decent guard play. We had poor guard play this past year- you understand that.

For me, it's a bridge too far because it drastically undersells how bad our basketball program is right now.
Ok.....I figured it out.....

Ben compares to Brewster in terms of experience and he compares to Wacker in terms of results :)

Ok.....I figured it out.....

Ben compares to Brewster in terms of experience and he compares to Wacker in terms of results :)
Yeah, Wacker's last few years.

In Wacker's first two seasons, he had 5 Big 10 wins out 16 games. In Ben's two first two seasons, he has had 6 Big 10 wins out of 39 games.

So not to be nitpicky, but even the Wacker comp undersells it after year 2.

Mussolini was bald. Hitler wasn't = Hitler was worse than Brewster and Ben is better than Mussolini.

Mussolini was bald. Hitler wasn't = Hitler was worse than Brewster and Ben is better than Mussolini.

No, Hitler was worse than Mussolini - by a lot. The tougher comparison is between Hitler and Stalin.

The point MNVCGUY was making is that once you descend to a certain level of failure, there isn't a big qualitative difference - certainly not enough to demand a clear cut king of the losers.

No, Hitler was worse than Mussolini - by a lot. The tougher comparison is between Hitler and Stalin.

The point MNVCGUY was making is that once you descend to a certain level of failure, there isn't a big qualitative difference - certainly not enough to demand a clear cut king of the losers.
Lol. This is why this whole thing is silly. I didn't make a claim that Mussolini was worse than Hitler.

Yet you continue to defend Mussolini.

Yeah, Wacker's last few years.

In Wacker's first two seasons, he had 5 Big 10 wins out 16 games. In Ben's two first two seasons, he has had 6 Big 10 wins out of 39 games.

So not to be nitpicky, but even the Wacker comp undersells it after year 2.
Ok....I think I got it this time....here goes.

Ben Johnson is just like Brewster 2007 but not Brewster 2008 or 2009.....
Ben's record is comparable to Wacker's 1994, 1995, and 1996 seasons but should not be compared to Wacker's 1993 and 1994 season's because those were better.....whew.....

Did I do it right? :)

Ben's record is comparable to Wacker's 1994, 1995, and 1996 seasons but should not be compared to Wacker's 1993 and 1994 season's because those were better.....whew.....

Nooooooooooo
It was Colonel Mustard in the library with a pipe 🔧

Sort of, it's probably best to just say that Ben Johnson is uniquely horrible. We've never had someone, in my lifetime, as bad as him in their first two years.

If you felt obligated to Frankenstein together seasons to make someone similar, this works :).

Top Bottom