Jamison Battle heading to Ohio State?

I think he will be really good for a team where he is the 6th-8th best player instead of the top 3.
Could be 4-5th best on an okay team.
I personally think he can be a starter on a top-flight team if he can regain his form. I don't know what was wrong this past year, so I don't know what needs to happen for him to get back on track, but if someone like Greenlee can be a 5th or 6th man on a Final Four team, Battle sure as shit can.

Interesting choice. Gophers own Ohio State. 1-0, and that was on the road. So that's like 2 wins.

OSU rebuild includes mining a last place team. It’s not Thad Matta doing the recruiting anymore.

Interesting choice. Gophers own Ohio State. 1-0, and that was on the road. So that's like 2 wins.
You should let Ben know. He won 50% more games this year than he thought...

Grow up? Showing people who don’t believe in you, that they are wrong is what some of the most successful people do.
Uh huh...its also what most children do when people tell them what they don't want to hear.

Look I doubt Battle thinks anyone disrespected him or the fans spat in his face...but if he did and he chose to go to Ohio State to prove some point no one is going to care and he won't be any more successful because of it. This isn't Michael Jordan being cut from his high school team...this is a decent player (who played badly) from a terrible team going to a team that was not all that much better. Yeah truly a Cinderella story...

No but he was a Gopher and played hard for the fans and his team. Were you cheering for him or for you?
Lets assume you had two boys who were good at hoops. One decided to go to a rival school. So screw him, right??

Fans generally could care less about a player once he or she leaves.
Hah, are you trying to be obtuse? I was cheering for the Gophers. You can stop with these weird child references.

The fans turned on him? Make more shots and play better and Minnesota fans will cheer. Battle sucks. He was terrible this year. good riddens brick it up elsewhere.

He was disappointing this year. Towards the end, his shooting improved but other parts of the game were lacking. Best of luck to him.

Punk move. Guy didnt know he could play at the Big Ten level till the U took a chance on him. Leaves for another team in the League. Bush league, slap in the face to his former coach and institution.

Feel free to reply with, "hes just a kid" yeah right.

Punk move. Guy didnt know he could play at the Big Ten level till the U took a chance on him. Leaves for another team in the League. Bush league, slap in the face to his former coach and institution.

Why do players keep leaving Ben’s teams? We cannot get better if everyone keeps leaving.

Financial consideration take's precedence. If he was offered the kind of money mentioned then you have to lookout for yourself, no one else is going to, loyalty be damned. That is the real world, welcome to it.

Battle was not our best shooter. He was our most “willing” shooter (kindest way to phrase it that I could come up with). Jamison is a gunner, but he’s not efficient enough, even in catch and shoot situations. When he has to put the ball on the floor to create his own shot he’s even worse.

Battle was not our best shooter. He was our most “willing” shooter (kindest way to phrase it that I could come up with). Jamison is a gunner, but he’s not efficient enough, even in catch and shoot situations. When he has to put the ball on the floor to create his own shot he’s even worse.
Willing is a good way to describe his shooting from last year. He took the most shots on the team but in terms of FG percentage he finished behind Garcia, Cooper, Payne, JOJ, and Henley

Also took the most 3s by a wide margin but in terms of percentage made finished behind Garcia, Cooper, JOJ, Carrington and Henley.

Samuels was the only regular who shot worse than Battle overall. So a case could certainly be made that the team would have been better off last year with more shots going to the other guys.

Perhaps the most shocking stat from last year though is that Battle took the most shots on the team yet got to the line fewer times than Garcia, Cooper, Payne, JOJ, Carrington, and Henley. Which means he was rarely getting fouled on any of his shots.

Edit - looked at 21-22 stats. He only finished behind Willis and Southerlin in terms of FG percentage, behind Willis and Stepens in terms of 3pt pecentage, and was 1 free throw attempt behind Willis for the team lead in that category.

Battle generally received the focus of apposing teams defenses, With him gone defenses are going to concentrate on other guys, Garcia is going to get the bulk of that. His job is going to be much more difficult next year.

Battle generally received the focus of apposing teams defenses, With him gone defenses are going to concentrate on other guys, Garcia is going to get the bulk of that. His job is going to be much more difficult next year.
If teams were focusing more on Battle than Garcia last year that would have been a massive mistake on their part.

For most of the year Garcia was clearly our best player and I would be shocked to find out he wasn't the main concern teams had when getting ready to play us.

Payne's emergence potentially makes things easier for Garcia next year, especially if we can add some outside shooters that actually hit their 3s.

The Minnesota fans spat in his face first. I was really surprised at the number of fans that turned on him this year. What happened to him was not his fault it was coaching and if I was him, between the fans turning on him and the coaches setting him up to fail, I would love to drop a 20 pt game or two on the U, just to say hey it wasn’t me.
I don’t think the fans spat in his face. He just didn’t play that well. He isn’t good enough to be the number one option on any team. He will probably do ok at OSU being the third or fourth option.

Whatever. I'll predict without hesitation that we will be better next year than we were in either of Battle's two years.

If teams were focusing more on Battle than Garcia last year that would have been a massive mistake on their part.

For most of the year Garcia was clearly our best player and I would be shocked to find out he wasn't the main concern teams had when getting ready to play us.

Payne's emergence potentially makes things easier for Garcia next year, especially if we can add some outside shooters that actually hit their 3s.
If Ben continues to get shooters in the portal, we need to work inside out through Payne next year as much as possible. Garcia will be focused on, but if we move the ball and utilize the skills we may have inside, it should create opportunities for everyone involved.

I don’t think the fans spat in his face. He just didn’t play that well. He isn’t good enough to be the number one option on any team. He will probably do ok at OSU being the third or fourth option.
Agree but I wonder if he will be willing to be a 3rd or 4th option as he has been a volume shooter his entire career. Will be interesting to see how it goes for him at OSU. In the right role he can be very effective, but he is coming off a rough year where he was not anywhere close to the player he was the previous season.

If Ben continues to get shooters in the portal, we need to work inside out through Payne next year as much as possible. Garcia will be focused on, but if we move the ball and utilize the skills we may have inside, it should create opportunities for everyone involved.
Carrington was 9-18 (50%) from 3 over the final 5 games of the season and seemed to be starting to figure some things out. So while I agree we can use all the shooters we can get from the portal we also may have a good one on the roster already who is ready to take a step up next season.

Carrington was 9-18 (50%) from 3 over the final 5 games of the season and seemed to be starting to figure some things out. So while I agree we can use all the shooters we can get from the portal we also may have a good one on the roster already who is ready to take a step up next season.
Maybe I'm greedy and want 4 guys who can shoot instead of 1 : )

I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't have a good year next year. He'll be put into a much better position to succeed.
So, unlike Johnson, Ohio State will rearrange their lineup to put better players in a worse position to succeed all so Battle can get good stats?

You seldom find your third or fourth best option on the bench.

Top Bottom