Jameson Geers Commits to Gophers!

I believe Witham is the best athlete in the TE room. Certainly the fastest. Goods hands. Probably not the top blocker (Kieft and Paulson). If we decide to include TEs in the passing game, I think Witham might see the field ... unless he moves on or is “moved on.” It will be his 6th year!
You can't really "move out" a kid like that. Nor would you want to, in my opinion. Would look/smell very poorly. He's here for the rest of his football career, for better or worse. All his friends are here, probably working on a graduate degree for next season if not already.

dpodoll is both correct and arguing a stupid technicality.

Yes, Burns was wrong and likely knew it because his business does better when he hypes up the current Gophers product. He is like a real estate agent engaging in puffery.

Let's put it to rest and get back to Jameson Geers. I am thrilled we got him, and I am curious to see how we start to use the TE differently this year. It sounds like his mom has confidence that we will -- which means we must have promised her things will change post-Ciarocca. Do we think that Brevyn Spann-Ford's role increases this year? Jake Paulsen and Bryce Witham are blocking TE's that we can very occasionally surprise a defense with by throwing a little pop pass to.
Excellent post.

However, with the very limited scope of TEs in the offense previously ... for all we know, Paulsen could have the most pass catching potential of any of them?? Truly, how would we know?

He seems to have caught a fair number of passes in high school.

Hope he and BSF get plenty of targets next season!

Excellent post.

However, with the very limited scope of TEs in the offense previously ... for all we know, Paulsen could have the most pass catching potential of any of them?? Truly, how would we know?

He seems to have caught a fair number of passes in high school.

Hope he and BSF get plenty of targets next season!

Fleck has often, during camps, talked about Paulson as a good receiver with good hands. Probably true. Witham is faster, maybe a little better at YAC. But, like you say, at our TE utilization rate, who among us actually knows? I am only speculating in my comments on TEs.

Also, Witham himself was a very good high school player in Grand Rapids, MI. He was all-state first team DL for Div 5-6, GR newspaper player of the year, and he caught 16 TD passes and 800 yds as a senior.

Obviously had the game of his life against Auburn. Let's give him more targets, too!

How are you still allowed to post on this--or any other--message board? My sign-up was "pending" for like a week - I assumed that process was to weed out posters like you.
You can easily weed them out yourself. There's only a few of them. Click on their names and select "ignore" then they're gone from your threads. All the noise is instantly disappears.

I agree to disagree. Most college pass receiving TE's, might eventually get up to 250lbs but that's if the stay through their senior years. We haven't had one of those quicker 230-240lb guys that can expose the seam. That's what I was getting at. If you want a 4th TE who is over 250/260lbs and only a blocker that is your choice.

Noah Fant 6-5 240
Hockenson 6-5 243

They are going to put 30 lbs on him. . . absolutely.

He is not fast enough to play WR. Even pass catching TEs (Freiermuth) need to be around 250-260. I think that is where we will see him end up.

Frankly, if you sign a 6'5" 225 lbs 16 year old, you should graduate a pretty large human being.

It of course depends how tall we're talking about here. If a guy is legit 6-6 or 6-7, 250 can still be pretty fast and agile route runner and pass catcher.

You can't really "move out" a kid like that. Nor would you want to, in my opinion. Would look/smell very poorly. He's here for the rest of his football career, for better or worse. All his friends are here, probably working on a graduate degree for next season if not already.

I don't like telling a kid to leave either.

I also think it is responsible and in the interest of both parties to be honest -- if there is a player in your program that will never see the field, let them know that and if they choose to transfer out after 1-3 years, they can do that. Scholarships should be a 4 year promise.

However I don't think that a team is obligated to offer a scholarship to a kid for 6 years. If it is clear they can't contribute, I think a 4 year commitment is all that is needed. If they want to continue their football career somewhere else they can always grad transfer to a lower level.

That said, I hope Bryce Witham is a contributor on our squad this fall. He showed at the bowl game that he can be!

Also, Witham himself was a very good high school player in Grand Rapids, MI. He was all-state first team DL for Div 5-6, GR newspaper player of the year, and he caught 16 TD passes and 800 yds as a senior.

Obviously had the game of his life against Auburn. Let's give him more targets, too!
His parents told me a couple years ago he was having trouble putting on and keeping on weight. Wish I had that problem!

His parents told me a couple years ago he was having trouble putting on and keeping on weight. Wish I had that problem!

He’s listed at 6-4, 265, so he must not be having that problem anymore! He’s played in most games for the past 4 seasons, except for when he was injured. I can see him having a decent Senior year and finding himself in an NFL training camp with his size and speed.

Was Mitch Leidner recruited as a TE

Nope, he just happened to be in the same class as Philip Nelson, a guy who many had anointed as the greatest QB in the history of Minnesota football before he even set foot on campus. The assumption was that Mitch would switch to TE because Nelson would be just that great.

Nope, he just happened to be in the same class as Philip Nelson, a guy who many had anointed as the greatest QB in the history of Minnesota football before he even set foot on campus. The assumption was that Mitch would switch to TE because Nelson would be just that great.

Mitch was a pretty good athlete. It might not have been the worst thing for his career.

Top Bottom