Jalen Glaze no longer on roster

I'm thinking Dylan may go as well. Seems to not be pleased with his opportunities and convinced of his skill (probably rightly so). Like The Fleck says, there has to be a fit and if he's not feelin' it.... Hope he stays tho.
I would prefer he stays, but if he wants to go, so be it. He has been incredibly frustrating and inconsistent. There are definitely flashes where he looks amazing, but they are too rare.

I'm thinking Dylan may go as well. Seems to not be pleased with his opportunities and convinced of his skill (probably rightly so). Like The Fleck says, there has to be a fit and if he's not feelin' it.... Hope he stays tho.
I've seen nothing but good body language and celebrating with his teammates. Plus the fact that PJ and the team were part of his 'family' during the tragedy last year, it may be bigger than football.

Plus AK likes to throw it up to him!

He used his free transfer. I think he sticks around. Really anyonef could go though for any reason. I feel a bit better once they’ve used the free transfer though.

I've seen nothing but good body language and celebrating with his teammates. Plus the fact that PJ and the team were part of his 'family' during the tragedy last year, it may be bigger than football.

He has gotten into the game more too.

I thought maybe he was a guy to move on from but now I’m hopeful/ seen good signs.

He used his free transfer. I think he sticks around. Really anyonef could go though for any reason. I feel a bit better once they’ve used the free transfer though.

Pretty sure Wright could be close to graduating though. I think this is year 4? If so, grad transfer overrides free transfer exemption

Always expected Glaze to be in the mix. He just never seemed to be able to break into the top tier of DBs. His stats coming out of HS were outstanding. Sad to see him go.

💯

He has gotten into the game more too.

I thought maybe he was a guy to move on from but now I’m hopeful/ seen good signs.
Wisconsin game was the first game it seemed he was on the field more than MBS. It seems that the shift in game plan to pass more correlated with also playing Wright over MBS. Would have assumed Wright would be a better blocker, but maybe he’s not been great in that department? Can’t say I’ve noticed either as exceptional or as lacking.

Ortiz seemed to be in the safety group this year, but will be interesting to see if they try him at nickel or if he can beat Bishop or Stapp out for the other corner spot. Definitely like to see him get on the field. Crazy to realize he will only be a redshirt sophomore.
Stats show he only played in one game: W. Illini

BB had 12 receptions for 116 yards and 1 TD this year. FYI
Yeah, I did look look that up before posting. Looked like he was also low on the depth chart. May have gotten more playing time in Minnesota this year, but may also have decided he wanted to go to a place where there were more targets. Maybe he wanted to get back to Texas (but Lubbock?). Purely speculation on my part, but for a true freshman, he looked like he had real potential.

Yep, he just hasn't been able to get past the starters.

Walley was an incredible find and get.

Would assume this will be a huge spring for Ortiz to try to get the other starting corner spot
Will Ortiz develop enough by the end of next Spring ball to crack the starting lineup? The defensive secondary has improved under Rossi and is very competitive. A four-star rating out of high school does not necessarily mean it is automatic that you are going to be a starter. Some are exceptionally good. Others need to develop like Bye Mafe did. It is all about hard work and attitude.

Mcirving?
For a moment I thought it was a reference to this guy:

Lawerence McKenzie aka Mac Irv

LawrenceMcKenziex600.jpg

I would assume it's this.

We got very nice efforts out of Dixon, with up to two more years left, and redshirt fresh #12 Darius Green, with up to three more years left. I would expect those will be the starting safeties next year, with Howden graduated and Nubin off to the League.
My guess is Green & Coleman start at Safety, and Dixon stays at his hybrid/monster position.

Any chance this means Nubin is coming back for a another year?
Doubt it, but we have Green, Dixon, Ortiz, plus guys like Bryson, Watson and Kelly Redshirting. Would suck to lose him, but we have depth at DB

Is Ortiz still on the roster ? Tons of praise for him coming out of high school.

Yes, Ortiz is on the roster. He's (from memory) a just a red-shirt Freshman, in a developmental program, playing behind very good, and experienced players. On paper, he should be in the 2 deeps next season.

Ortiz seemed to be in the safety group this year, but will be interesting to see if they try him at nickel or if he can beat Bishop or Stapp out for the other corner spot. Definitely like to see him get on the field. Crazy to realize he will only be a redshirt sophomore.

Ortiz is a safety. Doubtful he'll end up at corner, or nickel, which in this defense is really a hybrid linebacker. I'd bet money Michael Dixon plays that 'nickel', 'hybrid', 'monster' position again next year. It's a spot they like to have stout run defenders, which is not a perfect fit for Ortiz's body type.

Rossi really seemed to like the nickel being a larger guy. We saw Dixon get a lot of run there this year and Williamson was a pretty stout CB. I think it's a brilliant move if the guy can cover.

And Cedric Thompson before them. It's really become a smallish-linebacker/hybrid. You want a guy who's big enough to play at the LOS in run support, but can cover in space. It's often a Strong Safety, or large CB. If he were playing today Joey Browner would be perfect for this position.

He's obviously not going to get drafted at this point, and I think another transfer, and starting over again would be shooting himself in the foot.

His best chance to be an impact player next season (and get to the league) is right here. Mo's gone, & Athan's the QB, so we'll passing more. He played well in he win at Wisconsin, not just catching passes, but also showing some effort in blocking. If I were PJ/Simon/Athan, I'd be sure to get him involved early in the bowl game & show him what next season could look like.

Ortiz is a safety. Doubtful he'll end up at corner, or nickel, which in this defense is really a hybrid linebacker. I'd bet money Michael Dixon plays that 'nickel', 'hybrid', 'monster' position again next year. It's a spot they like to have stout run defenders, which is not a perfect fit for Ortiz's body type.
Wasn't Ortiz recruited as a corner? Maybe I'm completely wrong. Just seems like he has a better chance to see the field sooner at corner than safety.

He's obviously not going to get drafted at this point, and I think another transfer, and starting over again would be shooting himself in the foot.

His best chance to be an impact player next season (and get to the league) is right here. Mo's gone, & Athan's the QB, so we'll passing more. He played well in he win at Wisconsin, not just catching passes, but also showing some effort in blocking. If I were PJ/Simon/Athan, I'd be sure to get him involved early in the bowl game & show him what next season could look like.
Had some amazing catches against Ohio St (2021) too. Then no one ever saw him again.

What am I missing here ????

Top Bottom