Jacob Knuth Commits!

Well, basically the next long-term starter after Leidner is beating the numbers.

Leidner 24-17 (.585)
Morgan 18-8 (.692)
I think it's pretty clear Morgan is a better passer than Leidner. He's also on better overall teams with much more talent on offense though. I always wonder what Weber could have done on a team like the 2019 Gophers.

So you hate this kid. You’ve made yourself clear. You can stop embarrassing yourself now.

I'm saying that I don't see where the hype over this recruit is. I hope he becomes the next Drew Brees, Steve Young, etc. and I like that this guy dreamed of being on the Gophers for years, is a big fan of PJ and his style, etc. and is getting his dream come true.

However, on the field, nothing pops out about him. Lets be real, even the top South Dakota High School Football Class (which I don't even know if he played in or not), isn't exactly the best in the country. Even if he plays the highest class in South Dakota, his numbers aren't jumping off the page. I know it's a team game and line, wide receivers, etc. make a difference, but he doesn't jump off the page from what I can see.

I'm obviously not a recruiter, not an expert, but based on what I do see about him (besides attitude, etc.), I'm just not impressed. I hope he turns out great and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong (especially if it means a Minnesota team wins). For right now though, I'm not impressed by his on the field work.

I think it's pretty clear Morgan is a better passer than Leidner. He's also on better overall teams with much more talent on offense though. I always wonder what Weber could have done on a team like the 2019 Gophers.

I seem to remember the fans bitching about Weber constantly. Am I correct about that? I honestly don't remember all that well, and could be mistaken.

I seem to remember the fans bitching about Weber constantly. Am I correct about that? I honestly don't remember all that well, and could be mistaken.
People were even complaining about 2020 Morgan. I think a lot of college fans forget that it's college football and they shouldn't be expecting NFL-type stats and accuracy.

They were not always bitching, but quite often. He had great skills as a dual threat, but he had like five offensive coordinators in five years on campus with different approaches from each it seemed. He had two or three seasons in the NFL as a backup/practice squad guy.

Weber had one pretty awesome receiver that I recall. Guy name of Decker, I think.

Weber was constantly under fire

Lose games 44-37, Weber's fault

Let's chill out. Jacob Knuth hasn't played a practice down, and yet some folks are already whining. He is a young kid that will spend some time developing in the program. We've got a pretty decent QB Room. I trust the Gophers Coaching Staff.

We were disappointed that Maxx Dugan changed his mind and decided to opt for TCU. Does Maxx wish he hadn't? Who knows. Tanner Morgan wasn't as heralded coming in as a PJ Fleck recruit to WMU who followed him here. Look at what he did in 2019. We got Vic Viramontes who was supposed to be a highly regarded QB. He didn't last a pre-season. We were disappointed that Hank Bachmeier opted for Boise State. He was injured and missed a good part of one season. We would never know the trajectory of what could have been.

Relax. Give the kid a chance. He will be fine in the Gophers system IMHO.

Stats from HS are overrated, coaches recruit on potential

I'm saying that I don't see where the hype over this recruit is. I hope he becomes the next Drew Brees, Steve Young, etc. and I like that this guy dreamed of being on the Gophers for years, is a big fan of PJ and his style, etc. and is getting his dream come true.

However, on the field, nothing pops out about him. Lets be real, even the top South Dakota High School Football Class (which I don't even know if he played in or not), isn't exactly the best in the country. Even if he plays the highest class in South Dakota, his numbers aren't jumping off the page. I know it's a team game and line, wide receivers, etc. make a difference, but he doesn't jump off the page from what I can see.

I'm obviously not a recruiter, not an expert, but based on what I do see about him (besides attitude, etc.), I'm just not impressed. I hope he turns out great and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong (especially if it means a Minnesota team wins). For right now though, I'm not impressed by his on the field work.
To me Knuth checks a lot of boxes.

Size: check
Athleticism: check
Production: check
Physicality: check

I do have some questions about his arm talent, specifically, I’d like to see him get more velocity and distance for the amount of effort he puts into his throws but overall, there is a lot to like. I like him better now than when Kramer, Morgan or Annexstad committed and about equally to Clark when he committed.

Last edited:

Let's chill out. Jacob Knuth hasn't played a practice down, and yet some folks are already whining. He is a young kid that will spend some time developing in the program. We've got a pretty decent QB Room. I trust the Gophers Coaching Staff.

We were disappointed that Maxx Dugan changed his mind and decided to opt for TCU. Does Maxx wish he hadn't? Who knows. Tanner Morgan wasn't as heralded coming in as a PJ Fleck recruit to WMU who followed him here. Look at what he did in 2019. We got Vic Viramontes who was supposed to be a highly regarded QB. He didn't last a pre-season. We were disappointed that Hank Bachmeier opted for Boise State. He was injured and missed a good part of one season. We would never know the trajectory of what could have been.

Relax. Give the kid a chance. He will be fine in the Gophers system IMHO.
Thank you for that blast from the past. Vic Viramontes, we hardly knew ye!

As with most programs, if there's younger QBs on the team that see no chance at starting... they will leave. At least one of the current QBs on the roster will likely transfer out by this time next year.

This will all sort out at some point.

Attitude: Check
Gopher Homer:
Check (Harrisburg SD is Gopher Country)

I do have some questions about his arm talent, specifically, I’d like to see him get more velocity and distance for the amount of effort he puts into his throws but overall, there is a lot to like. I like him better now than when Kramer, Morgan or Annexstad committed and about equally to Clark when he committed.

FIFY

I would add, for Fleck, "Psychological/Emotional Stability"--a box I bet Knuth checks as well.

Fair enough. But people who's jobs depend on finding players to lead their teams see something they like in this kid. K-State, Iowa, and Minnesota all offered already and according to one of the recruiting sites a number of other power 5 schools like Notre Dame for example were on the verge of offering when he committed to us.

Clearly the Gopher coaches and other coaches see something in this kid. That is good enough for me to be happy about the commitment in spite of him not having eye popping high school stats.

I get it, as fans all we have to go off of are highlight videos and stat lines. But unless you have actually watched a kid play it is pretty foolish to just look at the numbers and make judgements on a guy and his ability. More so than sports like baseball and basketball, football stats can be very misleading due to all the other factors at play in a typical game and season.

What type of offense does a team run, do they have a decent o-line, do they have any solid receivers, were they blowing teams out and therefore not being as aggressive.....? There are so many factors that might lead to a talented player not having eye popping stats.

Yup can’t teach 6’4”. Completion percentage of 65% is solid. Nice speed and athleticism. Seems to throw well on the run and evades pocket pressure. Not a cannon for an arm, but seems plenty strong enough. Seems like plenty for the coaches to work with to me.

I seem to remember the fans bitching about Weber constantly. Am I correct about that?
You are correct... it's pretty much a given that people will bitch about the QB play. Granted, for one magical season in 2019, we didn't have to listen to a chorus of catcalls regarding Gopher QBs... but was that an aberration? I will be most interested to see if the knives come out for Tanner if he doesn't come out slingin' against tOSU.

Be it Billy Cockerham, Asad Awful-Khaliq, Brian Cupito or MarQueis Gray... There has always been plenty of bitching. The last QB that I can remember without a bunch of negativity was when Tim Schade was chuckin' the ball all over the field for his uncle Jim Wacker. Then again, did anyone have enough left in 'em to bother complaining during the Wacker-time?

Leidner was so fucking bad
Yup, he is probably the only QB in Gopher history to help the team go to four bowl games in a row.
Win 8 games twice and 9 games once.
Be bowl game MVP in his other season.
Happens all the time.
Especially, with bad QB’s.

You are correct... it's pretty much a given that people will bitch about the QB play. Granted, for one magical season in 2019, we didn't have to listen to a chorus of catcalls regarding Gopher QBs... but was that an aberration? I will be most interested to see if the knives come out for Tanner if he doesn't come out slingin' against tOSU.

Be it Billy Cockerham, Asad Awful-Khaliq, Brian Cupito or MarQueis Gray... There has always been plenty of bitching. The last QB that I can remember without a bunch of negativity was when Tim Schade was chuckin' the ball all over the field for his uncle Jim Wacker. Then again, did anyone have enough left in 'em to bother complaining during the Wacker-time?
You forgot or didn’t know Scott Eckers was a far superior QB to Schade. He couldn’t get an opportunity with the nephew anointed by Uncle Jim.

You forgot or didn’t know Scott Eckers was a far superior QB to Schade. He couldn’t get an opportunity with the nephew anointed by Uncle Jim.
I stand corrected... There apparently was enough angst during the Wacker-time to bitch about the QB situation. 🤣

Great add! Excited to see us continue adding high end talent to our QB room!

I'm kinda amused at the more critical analysis, it wasn't long ago we celebrated any QB croot that had an offer or two from a good FCS school...

But now we're all QB scouts and can read this guy like a book via the internet ;)

As with most programs, if there's younger QBs on the team that see no chance at starting... they will leave. At least one of the current QBs on the roster will likely transfer out by this time next year.
I'm willing to bet that at least one quarterback transfers out in two months at the conclusion of spring practice.

A better player than Leidner? Hmmmm...

"Better" would be measured how, exactly: by your "eye test", or by stats?

How about wins and losses as a starter? Would that be a good metric?

It will be interesting to see if Jacob surpasses the "unimpressive" Mitch in any objective categories.

How about pigs, axes, and ceramic jugs?

How about pigs, axes, and ceramic jugs?

I just wish we would have had these Leidner debates at some point in the past, not sure why it has taken so long for them to come up. :)

Leidner gets way more crap than he deserves but Remember Murray is trying really hard to make him look like something he wasn't as well. Touting his career numbers at a school that hasn't exactly been a QB hotbed isn't as impressive as he thinks it is. Especially when the areas where Leidner stands out are in terms of QB rushing which isn't exactly the metric most non-wishbone schools would want their QB to excel in.

Top Bottom