Jacob Knuth Commits!

He seems all in and you never know with some of these young QB's what their potential against tougher competition will be after a few years .

Seems like he's really passionate about the program and PJ, which is great.

The only concern for me is the TD-Int stat line:

1614478915906.png

Was it a first to commit situation between Knuth and Evers? .

Yes! Row that boat, baby!

And Jacob, welcome to Minnesota!

Always nice to see guys that are all in and 100% want to be here.

I'll take a high 3 star who wants to be a gopher any day of the week. I have a feeling he'll be bumped up to a 4 star in the fall.
In addition to his ability. I like that he wants to help to recruit other players. If we regard Kalkimanis and Ortiz as potential leaders of the 2021 recruits, maybe Knuth can be one of the leaders for the 2022 class.

Very nice pick up. Especially nice pickup considering immediate playing time isn’t on the table. One of the best QBs in the Midwest.

One of the best Midwest QBs who has thrown for almost half as many INTs as he has TDs in his high school career? I appreciate the love for the program this guy has, but I keep looking back at his stats. Is there something I’m missing here? Didn’t Leidner not have great stats in high school too? Could he be Leidner 2.0?

One of the best Midwest QBs who has thrown for almost half as many INTs as he has TDs in his high school career? I appreciate the love for the program this guy has, but I keep looking back at his stats. Is there something I’m missing here? Didn’t Leidner not have great stats in high school too? Could he be Leidner 2.0?

It is hard to judge him based on HS competition. I have to trust the Gophers Coaching Staff.

What is the difference between a "Pro" versus "Dual" QB? Jacob Clark and Jacob Knuth are listed as "pro Style QBs. Athan Kaliakmanis is listed as a Dual Threat QB.

Last edited:

QB is the toughest position to evaluate. The 5 star kids in high school don't hit as often as you'd think they should. Then the guys that do perform in college don't necessarily perform in the pros. I think there is some stat like the only Super Bowl winner among QB's drafted #1 overall since 2000 is Eli Manning. Even at Minnesota this has been true, look at the career of Moses Alipate as a big time QB recruit who never saw the field for us. If it was as easy as looking at stats (or even stats plus attributes) there would be far fewer mistakes in QB evaluation.

How long til that one poster tells us we should have taken the 250lb QB that is going to St. Thomas?

Seems like he's really passionate about the program and PJ, which is great.

The only concern for me is the TD-Int stat line:

View attachment 11853
Again, you like to worry a lot.

That actually looks a lot like a Brett Favre stat line. He turned out ok.

Could he be Mitch Leidner 2.0? Probably not; unfortunately, the odds are against him achieving that level.

You say you're into stats; here's Mitch Leidner's Gopher bio:

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) • rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) • passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) • ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) • only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns • ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.

Obvious answer to the part in bold is YES there is a lot you are missing here if you are just looking at his high school stat line.

He is picking up power 5 offers (including Iowa) so clearly coaches are seeing something they really like in his makeup. And no I don't believe this is Leidner 2.0 in any way shape or form. But I am not surprised that you would be searching for a negative angle on what looks like a really nice addition to the 2022 class.

Could he be Mitch Leidner 2.0? Probably not; unfortunately, the odds are against him achieving that level.

You say you're into stats; here's Mitch Leidner's Gopher bio:

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) • rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) • passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) • ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) • only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns • ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.

Leidner’s stats against B1G/Power 5 were terrible. Dude moved like molasses - ran a 4.93 40. His stats are so prolific because Kill/Claeys completely bungled QB recruiting and we had nobody else for 4 years. They also ran him constantly for little success. Wobble duck thrower.

I hope Knuth can perform at a much higher level, because if he only makes it to Leidner level, he should not see the field.

I am excited by this commitment.Its clear he has potential and will be joining a strong QB room.

Top Bottom