Jacob Knuth Commits!

How long til that one poster tells us we should have taken the 250lb QB that is going to St. Thomas?
And of course it is a miss that every other P5 program missed on.... maybe for reasons.

Leidner’s stats against B1G/Power 5 were terrible. Dude moved like molasses - ran a 4.93 40. His stats are so prolific because Kill/Claeys completely bungled QB recruiting and we had nobody else for 4 years. They also ran him constantly for little success. Wobble duck thrower.

I hope Knuth can perform at a much higher level, because if he only makes it to Leidner level, he should not see the field.

I am excited by this commitment.Its clear he has potential and will be joining a strong QB room.

Wow. What a post! There is a lot to unpack.

His stats were "prolific", yet despite "constantly" running, he produced "little success". That's a fascinating dichotomy.

He "moved like molasses", yet he ran for more yards than all but two QBs in school history.

I love the "wobble duck" reference, though... spiral talk is always a lively topic on this board.

I’m assuming he’s gotta be a pretty good athlete if Air Force and Army offered him.

Wow. What a post! There is a lot to unpack.

His stats were "prolific", yet despite "constantly" running, he produced "little success". That's a fascinating dichotomy.

He "moved like molasses", yet he ran for more yards than all but two QBs in school history.

I love the "wobble duck" reference, though... spiral talk is always a lively topic on this board.

Unclear what is unpacked here. Leidner does have a lot of stats. He played forever due to a weak room. He is slow and his running produced poor results. Running for more yards than other QBs would be impressive if his YPC were greater. He was a poor passer.

There was nothing about Leidner’s game that was impressive. He passed the stats test but failed the eye and measurables tests 🤷🏼‍♂️. I welcome Jacob aboard and think he has the potential to be a much better player!

for those worried about his stats (TD_INT)

there are too many 4 stars and some 5 stars who simple don't pan out.

I'm sure the coaches spent a lot of time looking at this tape.

what we forget when looking at QB stats is that its a team game. It could be very simple from his O-Line is not that great and some throws were under extreme pressure to his receiver not being very good and they might have lost battles or ran bad routes that the opposing Defense intercepted.

I trust PJ here.

Unclear what is unpacked here. Leidner does have a lot of stats. He played forever due to a weak room. He is slow and his running produced poor results. Running for more yards than other QBs would be impressive if his YPC were greater. He was a poor passer.

There was nothing about Leidner’s game that was impressive. He passed the stats test but failed the eye and measurables tests 🤷🏼‍♂️. I welcome Jacob aboard and think he has the potential to be a much better player!

A better player than Leidner? Hmmmm...

"Better" would be measured how, exactly: by your "eye test", or by stats?

How about wins and losses as a starter? Would that be a good metric?

It will be interesting to see if Jacob surpasses the "unimpressive" Mitch in any objective categories.

A better player than Leidner? Hmmmm...

"Better" would be measured how, exactly: by your "eye test", or by stats?

How about wins and losses as a starter? Would that be a good metric?

It will be interesting to see if Jacob surpasses the "unimpressive" Mitch in any objective categories.

I think he can be better, but if he’s not, he shouldn’t play. Mitch should not have been playing either.

Again - welcome aboard Jacob! Think you will be a great addition to the squad!

It is hard to judge him based on HS competition. I have to trust the Gophers Coaching Staff.

What is the difference between a "Pro" versus "Dual" QB? Jacob Clark and Jacob Knuth are listed as "pro Style QBs. Athan Kaliakmanis is listed as a Dual Threat QB.

As I Understand It:

A pro-style QB is a drop-back QB who is mainly a thrower. Only runs to avoid a sack. example - Tanner Morgan.

A dual-threat QB will do more designed runs and can be one of the top ground-gainers on the team. example - Justin Fields at OSU or Adrian Martinez at Nebraska.

I don't wan to open up a whole can of whop. My lips are sealed RE OT dialogue. 🤐

Let's enjoy the moment and celebrate the commitment of a small town boy whose dreams and aspirations go thru TCF Bank. Five years will go pretty fast.

QBs are probably the toughest position in terms of knowing or projecting how they will perform based on HS rankings. Trust the Gopher Coaching Staff. They are privy to minute details and are excited about this kid.

And yet... let's see who can beat his numbers.

If they start for the same period of time, that’s absolutely fair. But they won’t because our current QB room is strong. You’re too focused on career stats including non-P5 programs. Taken in context, the numbers you are championing are not impressive.

Again - welcome aboard Jacob!

If they start for the same period of time, that’s absolutely fair. But they won’t because our current QB room is strong. You’re too focused on career stats including non-P5 programs. Taken in context, the numbers you are championing are not impressive.

Again - welcome aboard Jacob!

"Not impressive" makes another appearance.

You say I'm too focused on certain stats. I say you're too focused on your highly subjective "eye test"... and spirals, and 40-times.

I like results, more than I like stopwatches and aesthetics.

Me, I happen to love two main stats for a QB: Total TDs, and Career wins. I find those pretty important. We all like wins and touchdowns, right?

I'll keep track of those numbers, and see how future Gopher QBs stack up against the "unimpressive" Leidner... who threw wobbly passes, and was 'slow' of foot.

"Not impressive" makes another appearance.

You say I'm too focused on certain stats. I say you're too focused on your highly subjective "eye test"... and spirals, and 40-times.

I like results, more than I like stopwatches and aesthetics.

Me, I happen to love two main stats for a QB: Total TDs, and Career wins. I find those pretty important. We all like wins and touchdowns, right?

I'll keep track of those numbers, and see how future Gopher QBs stack up against the "unimpressive" Leidner... who threw wobbly passes, and was 'slow' of foot.

Those stats are tied to directly to how many starts a QB receives. I don’t think they are the best stats by which to judge performance because someone like Mitch, who played forever, will likely have great numbers relative to those who played less. Even if they were not a good player.

However, I think this thread should focus on the addition of a very capable and exciting new addition, so welcome aboard Jacob!

Those stats are tied to directly to how many starts a QB receives. I don’t think they are the best stats by which to judge performance because someone like Mitch, who played forever, will likely have great numbers relative to those who played less. Even if they were not a good player.

However, I think this thread should focus on the addition of a very capable and exciting new addition, so welcome aboard Jacob!
Mitch did one thing at an elite level, he threw end over enders that made punters jealous.

One of the best Midwest QBs who has thrown for almost half as many INTs as he has TDs in his high school career? I appreciate the love for the program this guy has, but I keep looking back at his stats. Is there something I’m missing here? Didn’t Leidner not have great stats in high school too? Could he be Leidner 2.0?
According to the recruiting websites he is like the number five or six guy in the midwest. Not sure what other QBs stats are. Obviously you’d like to see less INTs, but I don’t think it’s impossible to improve upon it.

According to the recruiting websites he is like the number five or six guy in the midwest. Not sure what other QBs stats are. Obviously you’d like to see less INTs, but I don’t think it’s impossible to improve upon it.
If he can recognize situations, he can be coached to throw fewer interceptions. If he just slings it to the first guy he thinks is open, then he better be damned good at it.

Overall, Knuth’s stats are pretty solid/good.

In 11 games, passed for 2403 yards, 64%, 8.4 yards per attempt, 28 TD’s, 12 INT’s, and rushed for 463 yards and 4 TD’s, 6.5 yards per rush.

That’s better than a lot of jr year QB’s we’ve gone after.

Spiral talk!!!!!

You know Leidner wasn't a great QB. 36 TD passes as a 4 year starter who missed very little time is not impressive at all. He was a mediocre at best passer, solid runner, and solid leader. He gets more crap than he deserves because his limitations were not his fault. But if you are legitimately looking for the next Mitch Leidner you are setting your sights way too low.

Getting back to the topic at hand, this looks like a really good addition to the class. Important to bring in a talented QB with each class and nice to have our 2022 QB recruit locked up early. Especially because it looks like his recruiting was about to breakout in a big way.

You know Leidner wasn't a great QB. 36 TD passes as a 4 year starter who missed very little time is not impressive at all. He was a mediocre at best passer, solid runner, and solid leader. He gets more crap than he deserves because his limitations were not his fault. But if you are legitimately looking for the next Mitch Leidner you are setting your sights way too low.

Getting back to the topic at hand, this looks like a really good addition to the class. Important to bring in a talented QB with each class and nice to have our 2022 QB recruit locked up early. Especially because it looks like his recruiting was about to breakout in a big way.

I never said Mitch was a great QB. My only point is pretty basic: if any future QB comes in here and beats, say, Leidner's total TDs number, and/or his rushing TDs number, and/or his total offense number, and/or his win total as a starter, I'll be thrilled, as a Gopher fan.

Tanner Morgan is clearly a better passer and all-around QB than Mitch was, and because of that I am ecstatic that Tanner Morgan will be the Gopher QB for at least one more season. Morgan very easily could pass Leidner's win total this season.

Last edited:

I still believe that Leidner was one of the toughest Gophers in program history. Not an elite QB but damn tough.

Can we take a minute to discuss the importance of practicing with tennis balls?

One of the best Midwest QBs who has thrown for almost half as many INTs as he has TDs in his high school career? I appreciate the love for the program this guy has, but I keep looking back at his stats. Is there something I’m missing here? Didn’t Leidner not have great stats in high school too? Could he be Leidner 2.0?
So you hate this kid. You’ve made yourself clear. You can stop embarrassing yourself now.

Ugh, so bad.
Would Morgan have looked good in Kill's offense with that crew of receivers? I doubt it. You have to keep in mind Leidner was playing in a system that wasn't QB friendly and with probably the worst crew of receivers the Gophers have had in my lifetime.
Mitch made the most of the situation given to him and put up some pretty impressive numbers. He also played a season or two with a badly injured foot.
Really don't get why people have so much fun bashing him. So bizarre.

But back on topic...excited to see what Knuth can do here! He looks like he has all the physical tools to be a good Big Ten QB.

So you hate this kid. You’ve made yourself clear. You can stop embarrassing yourself now.
At least he makes a stand on it. I like Knuth, but I give this guy props for stating his opinion. I hate when people trash a recruiting class, but never say which players they don’t like.

Top Bottom