I've Changed My Opinion of Gophers Coaching

MillionMoves

Reaction score
After watching Devoe Joseph, Royce White and Justin Cobbs star for OTHER college teams this year, I now feel it is time for an immediate change of coach at the University of Minnesota. Will any star player come to Minnesota and waste their time after seeing what these three players did after LEAVING Minnesota?

It's hard to throw Royce White into that conversation since he never actually played at the U. For all we know, he would have been just as good playing for the Gophers.

Cobbs is the obvious surprise of the group. I don't think very many people, if anyone, thought he would be doing as well as he is.

Andre Hollins looks to have the potential to be a "star player" and he committed to the Gophers after all three guys left.

Well, I've Changed My Opinion of Gophers Recruiting

They've brought in a heap of really good players. Just a matter of keeping them and developing them. If they can't do either, then yes, you might be onto something.

Bad Gopher said:
They've brought in a heap of really good players. Just a matter of keeping them and developing them. If they can't do either, then yes, you might be onto something.
Smart observation! Agree.

That's been my opinion as well. I don't think we've had a shortage of talent being brought into the program.

I've said it before, hopefully next year we don't have any significant transfers/injuries, and see if Tubby is the right guy or not.

That's been my opinion as well. I don't think we've had a shortage of talent being brought into the program.

I've said it before, hopefully next year we don't have any significant transfers/injuries, and see if Tubby is the right guy or not.

For conversation sake, had we been able to keep all the recruits, we would have been able to put one five-star recruit, three four-star recruits and one three-star recruit on the floor at the same time this season. That does speak to effective recruiting, something Smith has been criticized for, probably unfairly.

Bad Gopher said:
For conversation sake, had we been able to keep all the recruits, we would have been able to put one five-star recruit, three four-star recruits and one three-star recruit on the floor at the same time this season. That does speak to effective recruiting, something Smith has been criticized for, probably unfairly.
I believe we would be in the NCAA tourney if Mbakwe did not get injured. He added so much with rebounding and his inside game. Tubby recruited well - but I guess it's all the coaches fault as usual.

Royce never played a game here, Cobbs was a frosh and was behind Devoe and Nolan, and I'm speculating here, but I believe he would be a very good PG for us as he would've been thrown into the fire last year with Nolan injury, plus no one complained when he left, Cobbs was Mav before Mav, alot of people thought Allan was better anyways. Devoe showed flashes i.e the Big Ten tourney of stardom, but he didn't want to face the concequences for whatever he did and flaked on his team. Personally, if I'm anyone in that lockeroom, Devoe can go to the hell for leaving his brothers high and dry mid season. The irony is he would've gotten what he wanted a week later

After watching Devoe Joseph, Royce White and Justin Cobbs star for OTHER college teams this year, I now feel it is time for an immediate change of coach at the University of Minnesota. Will any star player come to Minnesota and waste their time after seeing what these three players did after LEAVING Minnesota?

Yes they will. I would be amazed if any star player has heard of any of them. Last mock draft I saw had White end of second round? I sure wouldn't consider them to be the Fab Three or anything.

Yes they will. I would be amazed if any star player has heard of any of them. Last mock draft I saw had White end of second round? I sure wouldn't consider them to be the Fab Three or anything.
It is really hard for me to watch White play basketball and not say "this guy is going places in the NBA"

Mock drafts had Rodney as the #1 overall pick at one point...if Royce stays another year or two and keeps his head on straight he should be a lottery pick.

Mock drafts had Rodney as the #1 overall pick at one point...if Royce stays another year or two and keeps his head on straight he should be a lottery pick.

That's the real issue here. For all the critique on the coaching staff, it was Royce's really bad decisions about who to hang out with and a history of volatility that led to his departure from the U. By most accounts, even Royce's, this was not a simple case of immaturity, but more serious factors. I wish the kid well and believe that his success is due in part because he left and got out of the posse he was with. That's not the coaching staff's fault.

Not all personnel issues are in a vacuum. Cobbs was a good player while here, but he is also succeeding in a run and gun no defense league. That does not automatically translate into B1G success.

Joseph had discipline issues that got him suspended multiple times. While no one knows for sure what they were, no one gets suspended for seven games for a trivial matter, either. There was a problem. Hopefully, the change of scenery corrected the problem and didn't just move it to the coast.

...if Royce stays another year or two and keeps his head on straight he should be a lottery pick.

He has been out of HS for three years now and is still not projected a top 60 pick. His chances of becoming a lottery pick are less then never making the roster of an NBA team.

He has been out of HS for three years now and is still not projected a top 60 pick. His chances of becoming a lottery pick are less then never making the roster of an NBA team.
If you watch Royce White play basketball and don't think he can play in the NBA, you can take basketball scout off of your possible career chocies.

He's currently building a track record, he's currently listed by nbadraft.net to go #37 in the 2013 draft. It's not preposterous after another year or two of improvement and no off the court issues that he is a lotto pick. In fact if I could be guaranteed the off the court portion I'd bet heavily.

Agreed

Royce is an short power forward with some passing skills. He is probably 6'7". He could turn himself into a very good bench player in the pro's. Very few undersized post guys thrive in the nba probably like 20%. Everyone can mention Barkley and Larry Johnson, but they are the exception not the norm and both were phenomenal leapers. For every one of those there are countless: Byron Houston's, C. smith's, Weatherspoon, Corliss williamson's.

Royce is an short power forward with some passing skills. He is probably 6'7". He could turn himself into a very good bench player in the pro's. Very few undersized post guys thrive in the nba probably like 20%. Everyone can mention Barkley and Larry Johnson, but they are the exception not the norm and both were phenomenal leapers. For every one of those there are countless: Byron Houston's, C. smith's, Weatherspoon, Corliss williamson's.
You can't look at Royce as a normal Power Forward. He is a Point Forward, and a very good one at that.

Not all personnel issues are in a vacuum. Cobbs was a good player while here, but he is also succeeding in a run and gun no defense league. That does not automatically translate into B1G success.

Having had a chance to watch Cobbs once or twice, he's turned into a good player that could play in any league. What struck me was how confidently he operated and how well he knew what he was doing out there. Certainly part of that is the natural process of growing and maturing. I can't help but wonder, though, how much of it is coaching and whether he would have made the same strides here.

If Royce developed a shot could he have a similar game (do not read career) to a 'melon or Josh Smith? Iso post/perimeter player? Could be a matchup issue if he plays the 3? I know the big if is developing a consistent jump shot first.

"I've Changed My Opinion of Gophers Coaching "

OP Title: The hell you have. you/m2s/whatever name you go by, have consistently bashed Tubby. Some, or a lot of us, understand your agenda, and you piss us off. You know nothing.

Having had a chance to watch Cobbs once or twice, he's turned into a good player that could play in any league. What struck me was how confidently he operated and how well he knew what he was doing out there. Certainly part of that is the natural process of growing and maturing. I can't help but wonder, though, how much of it is coaching and whether he would have made the same strides here.

I thought Cobbs was coming along nicely under Tubby. He showed some of the "swagger" you see today. I thought that by the time he was a junior, he could be a starting PG. Don't forget, he sat out last year, so is 2 years older, with lots of practice under his belt. Tubby could have gotten him to the same place.

He's currently building a track record, he's currently listed by nbadraft.net to go #37 in the 2013 draft. It's not preposterous after another year or two of improvement and no off the court issues that he is a lotto pick. In fact if I could be guaranteed the off the court portion I'd bet heavily.

I'd bet anyone $100 he is not a loto pick in 2013.

Royce never played a game here, Cobbs was a frosh and was behind Devoe and Nolan, and I'm speculating here, but I believe he would be a very good PG for us as he would've been thrown into the fire last year with Nolan injury, plus no one complained when he left, Cobbs was Mav before Mav, alot of people thought Allan was better anyways. Devoe showed flashes i.e the Big Ten tourney of stardom, but he didn't want to face the concequences for whatever he did and flaked on his team. Personally, if I'm anyone in that lockeroom, Devoe can go to the hell for leaving his brothers high and dry mid season. The irony is he would've gotten what he wanted a week later

Great post. I was thinking the same thing about the Cobbs/Mav comparison. People wish we had Cobbs now, but when he was here it was identical to the stuff people say about Mav. People were happy when he left.

OP Title: The hell you have. you/m2s/whatever name you go by, have consistently bashed Tubby. Some, or a lot of us, understand your agenda, and you piss us off. You know nothing.

Another classic Tubby rant. Where doe this anger come from?

"couple years" does not equal one year.

In quotes? Goldengopher said- After another year or two... Who said a couple years and when did I disagree with that? I would bet anyone 100 dollars he is not a lotto pick next year.

Nadine plus various undisclosed shadow moderators: Dr. Don needs to be banned; I'll offset the donation that he gave this year (X2). He does not come on here to offer opinions or views on the Gophers; he only comes on to bash other posters. He could do the same thing on the Yahoo Hermaphrodite or Breastfeeding boards; he just happened to choose this board. Please do the right thing. Plus, he is a "Creeper" in the words of Nadine

I rather enjoy Dr. Don, but that's me. He does the "Predict the Score" thing before every game.

Top Bottom