"It's very important that I have my boys with me."

Makes me sick.

It's not like the other kid is a stiff. There isn't a program in the country that wouldn't offer 3* kid to get the #1 recruit in the country. It's just too bad that this story went public.

Let's see - on one hand you have your principles and other the other there's a prestigious recruit.
Which do you value more?

The Answer Is?

Let's see - on one hand you have your principles and other the other there's a prestigious recruit.
Which do you value more?

I m not telling but we will find out maybe first:

(A.) If the recruit is bluffing
And maybe second
(B.) What Clemson's principles are if any.

Can somebody set up so we can vote on this?

Right now this kid's holding all the cards so you offer his buddy a schollie even though he's not deserving of one. Once you've got his signature then you're holding the cards & you lay down the law. No brainer, imo.

I don't understand how anyone could ever be upset about this. He's fully within his rights to ask for whatever he wants (within the rules) and they are fully within their rights to comply and/or watch him leave to go elsewhere. There are no victims in this situation. The average player has almost no leverage, so it's good to see someone taking advantage of what little power they do have.

I'd gladly give his teammate a scholarship if we could land him...

No issue with it at all. The kid wants to play with his buddy in college and has the leverage to (possibly) make that happen. Clemson or any other program can say no. When a school offers a scholarship with conditions (ex: you can have a scholarship if you greyshirt or you can have a scholarship if you agree to switch from QB to S) nobody has an issue. This kid is simply flipping that script and offering his services with conditions. At the time of Brandon Green's commitment to Minnesota it was alleged that Minnesota taking Johnny Johnson played a significant role in that commitment.

Right now this kid's holding all the cards so you offer his buddy a schollie even though he's not deserving of one. Once you've got his signature then you're holding the cards & you lay down the law. No brainer, imo.

I guess I wouldn't say he's not deserving of a scholarship. The guy has offers from several other D1 schools. It's not like it's some guy who only has an offer from UMD.

I don't have a problem with this because as others have mentioned, Clemson can say no. Let him go to Ole Miss and play in the Egg Bowl every year and a mediocre bowl game. Or if the guy is adequate, sign him and see what happens. Maybe it turns out to be the best player they sign.

The situation reminds me of Minnesota signing CDH's QB and Michael Floyd's girlfriend in an attempt to get Floyd to sign here.

When a school offers a scholarship with conditions (ex: you can have a scholarship if you greyshirt or you can have a scholarship if you agree to switch from QB to S) nobody has an issue. This kid is simply flipping that script and offering his services with conditions.
Exactly.

I don't understand how anyone could ever be upset about this. He's fully within his rights to ask for whatever he wants (within the rules) and they are fully within their rights to comply and/or watch him leave to go elsewhere. There are no victims in this situation. The average player has almost no leverage, so it's good to see someone taking advantage of what little power they do have.
+1.

I forgot to see the part where Clemson will share the millions of dollars they take in from its football program where Nkemdiche will most certainly star. Oh, that's right. Nevermind.

I guess I wouldn't say he's not deserving of a scholarship. The guy has offers from several other D1 schools. It's not like it's some guy who only has an offer from UMD.

I don't have a problem with this because as others have mentioned, Clemson can say no. Let him go to Ole Miss and play in the Egg Bowl every year and a mediocre bowl game. Or if the guy is adequate, sign him and see what happens. Maybe it turns out to be the best player they sign.

The situation reminds me of Minnesota signing CDH's QB and Michael Floyd's girlfriend in an attempt to get Floyd to sign here.

Georgia State, Tulane, Arkansas State and Southern Miss aren't in the same league as Clemson. Just saying he's not worthy of a scholarship on his own merit.

I'd be happy to give his buddy a schollie to land him. I was happy to give Johnny Johnson a schollie to get Brandon Green & I was happy to give JD Pride a schollie to try & lure Seantrell Henderson. I also don't begrudge the kid making demands now while he has a window of power or begrudge the team for sucking every drop they can get out of him once they've got his signature.

dinkything said:
heck, didn't jp parise's kid and bob suter's kid just orchestrate a similar arrangement?:clap:

Not sure what you are referring to? Does this relate to the niche sport of hockey?

As CRG mentioned, we did the same thing with J. Johnson and JD Pride. We were also Da'Jon McKnight's only BCS offer (his only other offer was LaTech) in order to encourage Cooper, Reeves and Stoudermire to head north. This happens all the time.

As CRG mentioned, we did the same thing with J. Johnson and JD Pride. We were also Da'Jon McKnight's only BCS offer (his only other offer was LaTech) in order to encourage Cooper, Reeves and Stoudermire to head north. This happens all the time.

My feelings were that Brewster did this with Nance in hopes of getting Floyd, too.

I agree that the kid is within his rights to ask for such a thing. He does have a lot of leverage being the No. 1 recruit. But, if coaches were to cave and give him what he wants, they lose a lot of authority. He comes into practice thinking he can do whatever he wants. If the coaches don't comply, he will leave. Kind of a fine line there.

In my opinion, the only thing wrong that this kid did was get the press involved because it does put the coaching staff in an awkward position. This probably happens every year on some level, but it is all discussed behind closed doors. I think its almost admirable what he's doing for his friend, but he shouldn't have gone public with it.

Seems likely that Clemson said no to his private request so he escalated it to a demand by publicizing it. The other examples of schools offering accommodating scholarships to buddies of the star sound like polite requests for favors. This sounds like an ultimatum. By accepting it, Clemson would be at risk that he'd continue such brinkmanship and that teammates would resent the star status accorded him.

Georgia State, Tulane, Arkansas State and Southern Miss aren't in the same league as Clemson. Just saying he's not worthy of a scholarship on his own merit.

I'd be happy to give his buddy a schollie to land him. I was happy to give Johnny Johnson a schollie to get Brandon Green & I was happy to give JD Pride a schollie to try & lure Seantrell Henderson. I also don't begrudge the kid making demands now while he has a window of power or begrudge the team for sucking every drop they can get out of him once they've got his signature.

And don't forget Eric Jacques to get Michael Carter. This happens all the time. Can't believe this is even an issue. Sure the kid is just so full of himself, but isn't that the way of the world today? I'm not condoning his stint as Captain Flapjaw, but as it has been pointed out, Clemson can just say no.

Top Bottom