It's Time: 7th Annual GopherHole Survey

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 30
Minnesota Native: Yes
Hometown: Richfield, MN
Current Residence: Tarrant county, TX
Post Secondary Degree(s): Bach of Electrical Engineering
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Yes
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: no

What do you like about GopherHole? Interviews, chats, rumors, recruiting info, dl's jerry kill interview recaps....and drum roll....picture countdown until KO of the opener!
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Becky and hogeye trolls
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Nothing I can think of right now.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? na
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Twitter only
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Good

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Gophers 59-56 over purdue....or 2003 @ penn state, winning 20-14.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Gophers vs. Oklahoma under holtz
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Mn march!
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Star wars theme

Go gophers!

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 50+
Minnesota Native?: Yes
Hometown: Far northern Mn
Current Residence: Central Mn
Post Secondary Degree(s)?: U of Mn, 68
Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: split BB & FB

What do you like about GopherHole? A community that often has decent discussions although one with too many village idiots that ruin them. The recruiting news and the regular contributors like Bleed, Gopher Lady, SS, DL, etc.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? Posters who see things only in terms of black and white and then have an agenda from that. Also, belittling of athletes.

What improvements or changes would you like implemented? It's a forum and you want the traffic but maybe a little more attention to cleaning up the garbage. too many threads become unreadable.

If you donated to GopherHole this year, what compelled you to do so? Enjoy the site so I think I should support it.

Do you follow the social media: Facebook and/or twitter? What's that?
If so, would you like to see us post more on twitter? What's that?

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Overall fine. However, when the wife hogs the new laptop, things don't work as well on the relic Mac.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? The Ohio State brawl game in (72?)

What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? 1997 basketball team and 1967 football team.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Minnesota March

Which rock song do you want to hear the Minnesota Marching Band play? As long as I don't have to sit through another "Sesame Street" medley, it's all good.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 15
Minnesota Native?: Yes
Hometown: Hibbing
Current Residence: Hibbing
Post Secondary Degree(s)?: B.A. - UMD
Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Neither

What do you like about GopherHole? Links from Bleed, weekly updates from DL, contributions by others, and the general community.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? Arbitrary policing of threads by one particular jackass, people who incessantly point out spelling/grammatical errors when the person is asking a legitimate question and isn't obviously trolling (we get the point), and the general lack of civility some can show to the general community. One bad apple ruins the bunch.

Do you follow the social media: Facebook and/or twitter? Nope

If so, would you like to see us post more on twitter? No interest

GopherHole website upgrades? Like it. Well done.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Miami (OH) last year.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser

Which rock song do you want to hear the Minnesota Marching Band play? Evenflow by Pearl Jam would be cool. More contemporary rock medleys.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 30+
Hometown: Crystal
Current Residence: Plymouth
Post Secondary Degree(s): The U, Econ
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Both

What do you like about GopherHole? Love the info, that I often get it days before the papers. I love the personalities. I love the tid-bits. I love the passion.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? I hate when Badger trolls post here.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Love the site, all of it.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Already donate, well worth it, best run message board I go on and I go on a lot of them.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Yes.
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Great site, wouldn't change a thing.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Gophers punt blocked vs. UW to lose. Horrible gut punch, even for us and we have high gut punch standards.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? 1997 Gopher Hoops.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Should Have Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith.

Minnesota Native: thankfully yes
Hometown: duluth
Current Residence: hamel
Post Secondary Degree(s): b.s. business admin
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: yes
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: football

What do you like about GopherHole? everything. i post on a lot of sites and this has the best moderation, set up and users. great community.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? can't think of anything.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? great site, can't think of anything.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? proud donor.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? no, not sure about those sites.
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? fantastic.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? michigan debacle.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? tc was the best tackler i've ever seen.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? rouser
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? i want to rock with you by mj

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 40 Minnesota Native: Yes
Hometown: North St. Paul
Current Residence: St. Anthony
Post Secondary Degree(s): BS Chemical Engineering, MS Environmental Engineering
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Yes (FB)
Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Yes - Football (also Hockey) IF yes (optional), what section are your seats and how many season tickets do you hold? 4 in Section 114

What do you like about GopherHole? Good articles, links, interviews, good discussions.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Hijacking of threads, personal attacks and "whizzing" contests among some posters.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Quicker action to end certain "debates" if possible.
If you donated to GopherHole this year, what compelled you to do so? I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into this site.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? No
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Excellent!
What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Air Force in the stadium opener. Was getting pretty nervous until the fumble recovery for a TD.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Football: Sadly I can't think of one that I can call the best.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Minnesota Rouser
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Rock and Roll Part 2

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 35+ years
Hometown: Mpls
Current Residence: N. Mpls
Post Secondary Degree(s): Masters
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Football

What do you like about GopherHole? It's my internet home-flaws and all.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? It's my internet home-flaws and all.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Wish it was faster loading.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Donate every year.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? No. Both are evil.
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Sweet.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? The first Iowa football victory at the Bank. For some reason it meant everything at the moment.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Tubby's 2nd season.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser of course.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? All You Need Is Love-Beatles. The horn section could go crazy with that song.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): about 20 for real, although exposed to gopher nation since birth
Minnesota Native: Yes (thought moved to Cali in 3rd grade and returned in 1998
Hometown: Stockton, CA
Current Residence: Saint Paul
Post Secondary Degree(s): Yes (BA Uc Davis, MBA Carlson School of Management)
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Yes, both

What do you like about GopherHole? Contributions from a wide range of folks, great links by bleed, analysis from SS, etc. Also, I've made a couple good friends over the years.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? the haters that come out after a loss.. some people are just negative
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Get rid of trolls and haters
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? n/a
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? FB and Twitter a little
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Great!

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Cincy game in 1998 (think thats year) or Wisky game (final minutes of regulation) last week.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Mason had a great defense the sun bowl year against Oregon. Also, Clem's final four team could defend when needed. Also, the Gophers in San Juan were amazing, especially with a healthy nolen
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? All
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Smells Like Teen Spirit

Number of years as a Gopher fan: 40
Minnesota native: No, but may as well might be. All my relatives are from the Cities, spent half my time there as a child.
Hometown: Milbank, South Dakota
Current residence: Camden, Maine
Post secondary degree: Not quite yet, though currently working on a BA in Education. I'm working on the 20 year education plan here. ;)
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Unfortunately no, as I very rarely get back to Minnesota anymore.
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Nope

What do you like about GopherHole?: I think it's a great informational resource, especially being so far geographically removed. It's nice to connect with fellow fans like that, get that constant reminder of home, and get the news along with fellow fans opinion and impression. Plus, some of the personalities (and accompanying conflicts) around here are quite entertaining.
What do you dislike about GopherHole?: Nothing, really. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't bother to come. And RE: aforementioned personality conflicts, of which there are a few on this board as on any, my opinion on that is hey, it takes all kinds to make this world, and for every character like Wren, there's an informational resource like Bob Loblaw, and I appreciate the all of them for being who they are and if not providing information, then at least providing humor or whatever it might is they bring.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented?: None really I can think of.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Well I never have donated, but then again, I have never been asked to do so. I wasn't aware that financial donations were sought after or needed, but I'd be happy to donate to ensure this resource remained available.
Do you follow the social media: Not at all. Just not my bag of meat...
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades?: I was impressed. Really like the new look.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person?: #2 Oklahoma vs. Minnesota in 1985. Just an epic football game in every possible sense of that word.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person?: Probably that '85 squad under Lou Holtz. Just two years after giving up 83 points to Nebraska at the Dome, we held Oklahoma (the eventual national champ that season) to 13 points, and not only that, our defense beat the ever-loving crap out of them. Not only did the Gopher defense knock Troy Aikman out of the game, but also Spencer Tillman and Keith Jackson, three of their All-Americans. Never seen a more fierce or hard-hitting iteration of a Gopher D, and they continued that on against #3 Ohio State just six weeks later, physically dominating them and knocking them around in a heart-breaking 23-19 loss, and then the Holtz difference became apparent, when Holtz's departure to Notre Dame became apparent and the Gophers consequently proceeded to give up by surrendering 48 points to #8 Michigan and 31 points to #3 Iowa in two extremely disheartening losses to end the regular season, and such was that.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection?: Love the Rouser. That to me speaks of everything that is great and everything I love about college football.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose?: Tough question, as there are so many great songs. Maybe in honor of our coach, The Future Starts Slow [video]http://www.last.fm/music/The+Kills/_/Future+Starts+Slow[/video] (a title and song I would consider particularly appropriate to our situation) by the Kills, or DNA [video]http://www.last.fm/music/The+Kills/_/DNA[/video] by the same band, as I'd love to see the Gophers marching bands interpretation upon garage rock, or beyond that hear their metal take upon The Four Horsemen or Seek and Destroy by Metallica off the album Kill 'Em All, or Don't Stop Believin' by Journey as previously mentioned, that's always good, especially in an orchestral or marching band version. Mostly, I'd love to see them get creative and do something unexpected and outside the box, so I'd say either those two songs by the Kills.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 45
Minnesota Native: yes
Hometown: Arlington
Current Residence: Shakopee
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA, BS, M.ed.
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: at least one going back to Joe Salem
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: yes

What do you like about GopherHole? some intelligent conversation/information
What do you dislike about GopherHole? mindless cheerleading/hating rivals
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? it would be nice to find posts by favorites easily and skip the trash
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future?
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? no
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? good improvements

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? to many to pick one
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Clem's final four squad, football has had decent, but not good D
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Minnesota Hail to thee
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? couldn't pick just one, i'd like to hear a variety

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): no idea when I actually became a fan...lets say 20 years
Hometown: Albert Lea, MN
Current Residence: Roseville
Post Secondary Degree(s): BS Kinesiology, PharmD Pharmacy in progress (both U of M)
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Football student and season ticket holder

What do you like about GopherHole? Insights into the team your don't get from the media. Bleed's links.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? The same ole bickering over nothing....40 times for example. Just agree to disagree
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? No idea
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Have donated just not recently.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? FB
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Awesome...love the mulimedia

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? '03 football victory over Becky.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Defense hasn't been a strong point while I've been a fan....at least that I can remember.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Sadly, the one before the "...kill, rape, pillage, burn..."
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? No idea....so many.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 55
Hometown: Spring Valley, MN
Current Residence: Winona, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA Degree
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Of course!
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Football Season Ticket holder for many decades.

What do you like about GopherHole? The forum that it creates for people to state their thoughts, memories, reactions, beliefs and impressions about Gopher Basketball and Football. In order for this site to be revelevent and to be real, people need to be able to express their ideas, opinions and impressions. IF everyone speaks their mind, there will be a chance for all to share in the range of opinions this forum displays. There usually is no "correct" opinion just as most often, there is no "incorrect" opinion. There are merely many diverse and often times conflicting opinions. At it's very best, GOPHERHOLE allows all opinions to be expressed, debated and discussed. The individual can choose whether to read the entire debate or not. This site creates a place to bring one's opinion...state that opinion, and let the chips fall where the chips may fall. No one wins. No one loses. Our GOPHERHOLE becomes the place where the diverse and often times conflicting points of view co-mingle and co-exist and HAVE AT IT. GOPHERHOLE is what you are...is what I am...is what all of us collectively will be when we log in on this site and interact and react to all things Golden Gopher Football/Hoops and sometimes other sports or subjects. The administrators...the sports writers and personalities...the coaches...te players...the outcome of the games ...the events of the day...all become the focus of debate that energizes and drives GOPHERHOLE purpose and course of direction...

What do you dislike about GopherHole? Absolutely nothing. I especially appreciate the monikers who try to have my moniker banned from this site. I laugh at their often times very humerous/sometimes very pathetic attempts to get that job done. But, more than anything, I love to see and participate in heated, passionate and spirited discussions of the major Gopher Revenue Sports taking place on this site. There are many pssionate and loyal Golden Gopher Football and Basketball Fans who participate in which ever ways they choose to participate in this remarkable forum. Diversity of opinion is a GREAT thing on a forum such as GOPHERHOLE. Contrasts and counter-contrasts provide more honesty on this site than all the "company-line conformity" in the world could ever create. This site needs to have a little bit of the "wild, wacky, willful..." tension allowing it to take on a life of it's own. On GOPHERHOLE, discussion just HAPPENS! That's a good thing!

What improvements or changes would you like implemented? I'm sure the moderators will always "do the right thing..." So, I won't worry about what GOPHERHOLE should do...or should be. It will be what it is!

If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? I have even donated to GOPHERHOLE when I was foolishly not officially allowed to participate in discussions. I will always donate to GOPHERHOLE. I believe in the concept of GOPHERHOLE. GOPHERHOLE needs my support and GOPHERHOLE will have my support...and my contributions!

Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? No, I have no need for social media, facebook OR twitter....especially twitter. It may be fine for others...I have no need for it... ; 0 )

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? I think the upgrades were great~

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Too many to single out. My favorites that I saw in person were the win over Ohio State in Columbus in 2000 and the win over Michigan at the Big House in 2005...the win over iowa in 1999...All the Big Ten wins have been GREAT going all the way back to the 10-0 win over iowa in 1967 at Kinnick Stadium in my FIRSTBig Ten road game.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? The 1960 Golden Gopher Football Team had the BEST defense that I ever witnessed in person. In Hoops, the most incredible transformation of Gopher Basketball happened when Johnny Kundla brought Hudson, Yates and Clark to the University of Minnesota. I had NEVER seen anything like some of the fast breaks those guys ran on the floor of the BARN!

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? When the Marching Band plays Hail Minnesota with their hats turned backward after a University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Football victory and they SING that beautiful Song in four part harmony!
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose?

Sorry, no rock song could EVER compare to hearing the ROUSER echoing across the East Bank Campus on Game Day Saturday! Now THAT will get the crowd ready for some BIG TEN FOOTBALL! But, then, I'm nothing but just another old timer who has started on his second half century of going to Golden Gopher Football Games...I sure hope this next fifty years is as much fun as some of the things I have had a chance to see during that first half century...

; 0 )

Hometown: East Chain, MN
Current Residence: Olivia, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA in Biology & Life Science Education @ University of St. Thomas
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Try to
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: No

What do you like about GopherHole? Good source of information on Gopher sports
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Thread hijacking and petty arguments between posters
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? nixing petty arguments between posters that don't relate to the topic
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Depends on my financial stability
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Facebook
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? They're good

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? MN beating Indiana in Joel Przybilla's last game as a Gopher.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Minnesota and Defense?
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? The Rouser
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Enter Sandman

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): about 40
Hometown: Minneapolis
Current Residence: Golden Valley, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA, Carleton College
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Football & Share Hockey

What do you like about GopherHole? The aggregation of Gopher news by many diligent GHers. I get my fix, find stuff that I wouldn't otherwise and save time. The great original content and insight from GopherLady, SelectionSunday, Chris and many others. Insight into recruits and recruiting
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Trolls and personal attacks...though that can't be helped on a public Internet forum.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? No suggestions
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Good question...not sure right now.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Yes, both
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Love the new, modern look. Definitely feels more professional.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? WAY too many of them have been suspenseful to pick one. Many were much more suspenseful than they should have been...
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Drawing a blank...
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Children of Sanchez
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Don't really follow rock music that much. Make sure it takes advantage of the unique properties of a marching band (brass & drum line) and plays well in an outdoor stadium. Some music is better for indoor concerts.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): Nine
Minnesota Native: Nope
Hometown: Superior, WI
Current Residence: Wisconsin Rapids, WI (just moved from Colorado a month ago)
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA, University of Minnesota
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Nope
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Nope

What do you like about GopherHole? If there's news regarding the Gophers, Gopherhole is always my first stop.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? The infighting. It never stops, but seeing as we're faceless opinion-givers no one needs to take responsibility for their thoughts. Biggest reason I don't post as much as I did.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented?
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? If I had more straight cash homey I would.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Facebook mostly.
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Website gets better and better every year.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Minnesota hockey versus Wisconsin, the Gophers won the game on a penalty shot. Loudest I've ever heard Mariucci and was special to be a part of that game.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Unfortunately I went to school when Mason and Monson were coaches so defense didn't go hand in hand with the Gopher teams.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Haven't seen them in years since I've lived out of state.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? So many options can't choose just one!

Hometown: Barnesville, MN
Current Residence: Barnesville, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA & MEd
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Former

What do you like about GopherHole? Discussion with people who have a similar passion for Gophers athletics. New topics and discussions everyday.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Q&A articles look like they are never proofread before posting--spelling and grammatical errors all over the place.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? More stories on current players and recruits.
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Haven't noticed much difference.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Lots of hoops games, but maybe vs. MSU in 1999--Mateen Cleaves game winner
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Football team plays defense???
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser of course
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Sweet Child

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 14
Minnesota Native: N
Hometown: Aberdeen, SD
Current Residence: Lino Lakes, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): 2 BAs, University of Minnesota
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Of course
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Football only

What do you like about GopherHole?
The opportunity to discuss and foster our common love for Gopher sports with like-minded individuals. Finding someone with the requisite Gopher passion is tough to do in the real world since there are so few of us, so this is a great outlet for feeding and growing the obsession.
What do you dislike about GopherHole?
Feeble-minded posters who think they are knowledgeable but are generally clueless. Cowardly posters who run their mouths and run away when they are called to the carpet. Agenda-driven posters who focus on the negative and don't deal in facts to spew their hatred. Terrible posters who use the annual survey as a forum to passively-aggressively voice their angst and despair over the fact that another poster is much, much better at this than they are - without having the balls to call out the poster by name, of course.
A poster rating system that would automatically institute the permanent banhammer when a certain negative point total is reached. Quick banning of obvious non-Gopher fans who are being disrespectful to the community and don't deal in facts.
A greater amount of income and/or a lower amount of expenses.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter?
Yes to both
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades?
They are mostly superficial, but the redesign looks good.
What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person?
The 2003 Rhys Lloyd Axe game
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person?
The 1999 Gopher football team, which featured 7 future NFL players on defense - Wyrick, T. Carter, Schlecht, Middlebrooks, Riley, Brewer, and Lehan.
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection?
Minnesota March. The Rouser is awesome, but the March should be the school song.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose?
During the game, they should feel free to play whatever they choose. During halftime, the selection should be something wherein the original was something produced in the last ~5 years.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 30+
Minnesota Native: Y
Hometown: Deephaven, MN
Current Residence: Rogers, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA History U of MN - Twin Cities
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Football Only
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: No, attend 1-2 football games a year.

What do you like about GopherHole? Keeping current on the current Gophers news, recruiting, fellowship with fellow Gophs fans, Sid & Dave recaps by DL65, tikited drink recipes.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? Self righteous posters like dpodoll (see above post immediately preceeding mine, gag me) who think they are somehow better than other fans for some unknown reason, ones who bash High School football players and feel better about themselves for it for some reason, ballsy enough for you dpodoll? While I do acknowledge you do offer some valuable and enlightening posts, you need to get over yourself and make the world a better place by not degrading fellow Gopher fans, we're all in this together, unless you're a Badger/Hawkeye troller, then have at it.

What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Get rid of the feminine hygiene ads, I mean am I really going to buy tampons? Honey, I got you this great Valentines' Day present. I mean come on, probably 90% of the people who view this site are men, don't understand that ad being on here.

If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Donated this year for the first time, I figure I get enough enjoyment out of this site that I can chip in my $20 or so. Thanks to all Gopherhole staff, I really enjoy your site and now find myself checking it daily.

Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Facebook, waiting for the I-phone 5 and will probably join Twitter at that time. Somewhat confused by this question, I follow the Gopher Facebook page, does Gopherhole have Facebook and Twitter pages, guess I've never checked.

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Nice, but don't enjoy the extra ads, except the Asian dateline looks intriguing if I were in the market.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? To be honest, after several years away I have re-discovered the joy of being a Gopher football fan, we have lost the last 3 games I've been to since I graduated college in the early 90's, NIU last year, New Mexico and Wisconsin this year, all brutal losses but I guess the New Mexico game was the most suspensful, both due to the close game and to Kill's seizure episode. Prior to that it would have to be the lost season basketball games under Clem Haskins on the march to the Final Four.

What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? None, see above. Hoping to get much better in the future with more time under Coach Kill.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser, will probably be Hail Minnesota when we finally win a game I go to.

If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Freebird, of course.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 16
Hometown: Osakis, MN
Current Residence: Minneapolis, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): B.A., Journalism & History, 2004
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Yes

What do you like about GopherHole? I enjoy the all around information one can receive, as well as the variety of insights that people can give about Gopher sports...sometimes in ways I don't usually look at them.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? The bickering...It's to the point where I don't post all that often anymore...I just read and only chime in from time-to-time.

What improvements or changes would you like implemented? I think the website upgrade was great, and the continual additions of content are always good things...I don't know how much you can change to improve it at this point.

If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? More money in my own pocket.

Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? Yes

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Solid upgrade...it's more professional now than it used to be, for sure.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Though it was a loss, the 2003 Minnesota-Michigan game was probably the most nerve-wracking game I've ever been a part of.

What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? As I recall, the 2000 Gopher football defense was pretty good for part of the season, beating Illinois, Penn State and Ohio State in back-to-back-to-back weeks. Then, the bottom fell out with a loss to Indiana, and we haven't had a defensive team since.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? The Minnesota March

If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine.

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): Very many
Hometown: Alexandria, MN
Current Residence: Alexandria, MN
Post Secondary Degree(s): BA Business & Marketing MSU Moorhead
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Try to
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Formerly BB

What do you like about GopherHole? Pretty much everything

What do you dislike about GopherHole? BS like this: Who does this jerk think he is.

What do you dislike about GopherHole?
Feeble-minded posters who think they are knowledgeable but are generally clueless. Cowardly posters who run their mouths and run away when they are called to the carpet. Agenda-driven posters who focus on the negative and don't deal in facts to spew their hatred. Terrible posters who use the annual survey as a forum to passively-aggressively voice their angst and despair over the fact that another poster is much, much better at this than they are - without having the balls to call out the poster by name, of course.

Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter?

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person?
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person?

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): and hockey 41
Hometown: Edina
Current Residence: Washington
Post Secondary Degree(s): UM 86, U Puget Sound Law 90
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: No

What do you like about GopherHole? Info about recruiting and informed discussion talk about the games.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Tangents, posters who cannot or will not read.
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? No

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? A Cal Stoll lead team beating Michigan at Memorial, a Holtz lead team losing to Oklahoma at the dome.

Here's my survey (didn't complete one on time):

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 20
Hometown: Preston
Current Residence: Kansas City, MO
Post Secondary Degree(s): Bach. in Sociology (Criminal Justice)
Attend at least one football and/or basketball game per year: Yes (at least the last couple of years)

What do you like about GopherHole? I need my GopherHole fix everyday. With me being so far from Minnesota it is hard to keep up to date on MN sports. Gopherhole allows me to stay in touch with the sporting world.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? People trying to point out spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. People come here to talk sports and not get an English lesson. I also am turned away by hijacked threads that go off topic for two or three pages of irrelevant conversation not related to the topic.

What improvements or changes would you like implemented? Perhaps a way to flag a poster who is either overly aggressive or continuously hijacks threads.

If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Make it easier to donate. Don't just have a donation drive once a year.

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? I like the new page.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? Minnesota/Wisconsin game at the dome in the early 2000s. Close game which we should've won but there was some poor officiating that cost us the game at the end. Almost observed us with that axe!

What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? NA... I've been to some poorly played games.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Don't really have one.

If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Metallica - King Nothing

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 23
Hometown: Mantorville
Current Residence: San Diego, CA
Post Secondary Degree(s): MBA in Healthcare Management
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Yes for Football
What do you like about GopherHole? I need my GopherHole fix everyday. With me being so far from Minnesota it is hard to keep up to date on MN sports. Gopherhole allows me to stay in touch with the sporting world.

What do you dislike about GopherHole? Highjacked threads and people making big deals out of grammar.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? A way for people to like or dislike someone's post then next to their name there could be a % Like or % Dislike. Kind of like ebay does.
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Make donating available year round.

What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? I like the new page especially the history part.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? I attended every football, basketball and hockey game from 1999 to 2003. I saw too many to remember.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? NA... I've been to some poorly played games.

What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Rouser or Minnesota March.

If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Jump on it

# of years as a Gopher fan (football and/or basketball): 10-12, can't remember for sure
Hometown: Lakeville, MN
Current Residence: Lakeville
Post Secondary Degree(s): BS Mechanical Engineering, 2007. Currently getting MBA at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (distance program)
FB Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball: Season ticket holder

What do you like about GopherHole? Best spot for links to articles you won't find easily on your own, insights to the coaches/systems/history, and great discussions about all things U of M and how sports can impact the U and the area.
What do you dislike about GopherHole? Arrogance of posters.
What improvements or changes would you like implemented? I love the way the forum is set up
If you decided not to donate, what would make you donate in the future? Not sure...
Do you follow the social media – facebook and/or twitter? On Facebook but follow Twitter all the time. Game/score updates by GopherHole are better than any sports app (looking at YOU, ESPN)
What are your thoughts on the recent GopherHole website upgrades? Great. I love coming here.

What was the most suspenseful game that you witnessed in person? 2003 victory over Wisconsin in football... tons of people in the house, great setup with the game winning kick, the run for the axe. My freshman year in the band. Great. Epic.
What Gopher football and/or basketball team had the best defense that you witnessed in person? Defense???
What is your favorite Minnesota Marching Band musical selection? Minnesota March followed VERY closely by the Rouser. No other school has that combination of unique and fun songs.
If you could select one rock song as a selection played during a game by the Minnesota Marching Band, what would you choose? Winona's Big Brown Beaver. Ok not that... I really don't know.

Gopherhole survey

58 yo
Male
43 y fan
MN native
Hometown: Wendell, MN
Current: St James, MN
Degrees: Waldorf College, AA; IL College of Optometry, BSVS, OD
FB (Sec 111) & BK (Sec 120) Season tix - 2 tix each
Enjoy articles and posts from Nadine & Selection Sunday
Dislike bickering & negativity
Improvements: Additional interviews
Did not donate this yr; donate to a lot of local causes
Do not do much social media
Enjoy new website layout
Most suspenseful game attended: 97 basketball NCAA semifinal vs Clemson (2OT) win in San Antonio (supposedly never happened)
Best defense: During the Clem era we beat Indiana by about 50 in a "vacated" game
Favorite Marching band selection: Minnesota Rouser
Rock song: Crazy Train

Top Bottom