It's official, March Madness is cancelled

We are shutting down the country over 38 deaths. Hell, this country should never be open again because car accidents, the regular flu, and chocking have taken more lives than the coronavirus flu has in this same amount of time. I understand taking precautions, but cancelling the entire tournament seems over the top. They could have played the games without fans present. But, the hysteria train is in full throttle.

OK, Donald.

Some relevant quotes: Nancy P. "This is the end of civilization as we know it" Bernie S "This is the equivalent of a MAJOR war" Governor of Oregon "Never in history have we ever seen any thing like this" I guess that last on is the nearest to the truth. Never have so many ever been so panicked over so little.

You can inoculate yourself, I suppose, and see if your immune system blows up. This dude in Georgia didn't think it was too much fun.

2 world wars? Are you Sid Hartman?
Even Sid wasn't alive during World War I. I suppose it's possible that there's a 101+ year old with 863 posts on GopherHole, but I very much doubt it.

Pelosi's quote was "civilization as we know it is at stake" and was referring to the 2020 election. I don't agree with that statement, but at least use the quote correctly. Italy is literally having a response at a similar level as it did in WWII, so Bernie isn't exactly wrong there.
Your quote is an old one > I was referring to one she made today.

Selfish and stupid also - it’s not hysteria , it’s smart actions taken to get the spreading virus to wash over America at a slower rate so our medical facilities aren’t overwhelmed - read some news out of Italy of triage decisions and they have to choose who gets the dwindling ventilators or care. Cases are much higher than reported and without increased testing there’s a lot of people walking around with it. The administrations decision to close borders is like locking the door after the murderers already in your house.
I think that having the tournaments without crowds present would not lead to a massive out break throughout the country.

By the way poor Penn State, they finally make it and.....

Even Sid wasn't alive during World War I. I suppose it's possible that there's a 101+ year old with 863 posts on GopherHole, but I very much doubt it.

Nah, I'm 37. It was a play on the Pepsi commercial from the 80s after Coke changed to New Coke. And after actually looking up the commercial I wasn't close to replicating it...

I think that having the tournaments without crowds present would not lead to a massive out break throughout the country.

Probably not but if one player gets sick the whole tournament collapses because of subsequent quarantine. Simply no other option.

Selfish and stupid also - it’s not hysteria , it’s smart actions taken to get the spreading virus to wash over America at a slower rate so our medical facilities aren’t overwhelmed - read some news out of Italy of triage decisions and they have to choose who gets the dwindling ventilators or care. Cases are much higher than reported and without increased testing there’s a lot of people walking around with it. The administrations decision to close borders is like locking the door after the murderers already in your house.

My problem with the way the corona virus is being reported is that it is purely political.

During the H1N1 pandemic starting in 2009 through 2010, there were 60.8 million cases, 274,000 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths. Yet, there was no call to cancel sporting events, shut down businesses, do self-quarantine, despite it infecting over 60 million people.

Why wasn't there the same media hysteria we are experiencing today? Who was President? Oh, that's right, a democrat. President Obama.

So 60 million Americans get infected with H1N1 and over 12,000 people die and the media yawns. Now that we have a Republican in office, it only takes 1,300 infections and 39 deaths to shut down this country. Ah, the unbiased mainstream media. Gotta love em.

These stats are from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

During the pandemic, CDC provided estimates of the numbers of 2009 H1N1 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on seven different occasions. Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. These final estimates are available at: Estimating the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States (April 2009-April 2010)External Web Site Icon, Shrestha SS, et al., Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S75-82.

go4inlalaland you're making it political with statements just like that!

So 60 million Americans get infected with H1N1 and over 12,000 people die and the media yawns. Now that we have a Republican in office, it only takes 1,300 infections and 39 deaths to shut down this country. Ah, the unbiased mainstream media. Gotta love em.

If only 12,000 Americans die from COVID-19 it will be a miracle.

This was political long before my post.

Listen to the Michael Osterholm interview to get a valid description of the virus, he is an expert and is estimating before all is said and done their will be about 1/2 million deaths from this disease in the US, he was saying it will go on for many months and expects the numbers to spike back up in China when they resume normal activities.

They should have done a tourney with a very limited number of teams, maybe 8 or so. It'd be easy to ensure that all the players are virus free and to "quarantine" them during the games.

Listen to the Michael Osterholm interview to get a valid description of the virus, he is an expert and is estimating before all is said and done their will be about 1/2 million deaths from this disease in the US, he was saying it will go on for many months and expects the numbers to spike back up in China when they resume normal activities.

I've heard the podcast. I expect it to go on for months, but his 1/2 million number is pure speculation. Again, we are at 39 deaths, we have a ways to go to get to 1/2 million, much less 12,000. Considering the actions being taken, I will be very shocked if we get anywhere near close to 1/2 million.

Play it without fans, that's one of the sports that's absolute safest to keep going
True, and one where the fans don't really play the same role as they do in other sports. The players can enjoy the silence.

I've heard the podcast. I expect it to go on for months, but his 1/2 million number is pure speculation. Again, we are at 39 deaths, we have a ways to go to get to 1/2 million, much less 12,000. Considering the actions being taken, I will be very shocked if we get anywhere near close to 1/2 million.
Probably not, but as you said, considering the actions being taken. If life went on as usual there would be no reason the virus would not spread to the majority.

Well said

The whole point of not letting people gather in large groups is to prevent against the spread of the virus - so that the US does not have as many fatalities.

The catch-22 is that it's almost impossible to prove that it was effective, because you're trying to prevent something from happening.

if you go the other way - life goes on as normal - and there is a major outbreak, then you're screwed.
So I really don't see any other way to go.

And as noted, if you hold the NCAA tournament and players, coaches or fans start getting sick, then you've got a real mess on your hands, and the lawyers start lining up around the block to sue the NCAA. Most big organizations are risk-averse.

Probably not, but as you said, considering the actions being taken. If life went on as usual there would be no reason the virus would not spread to the majority.
I don't think anyone is saying not to take any action, but I think there has been an overreaction when considering the number of deaths in this instance and the H1N1 pandemic. H1N1 also spread through the air, yet we did not have this all out action to cancel all sporting events, etc. As a result, over 12,000 Americans died and there was no outrage from anyone. Here, we have 39 deaths and you would think that we are on the verge of the apocalypse.

I don't think anyone is saying not to take any action, but I think there has been an overreaction when considering the number of deaths in this instance and the H1N1 pandemic. H1N1 also spread through the air, yet we did not have this all out action to cancel all sporting events, etc. As a result, over 12,000 Americans died and there was no outrage from anyone. Here, we have 39 deaths and you would think that we are on the verge of the apocalypse.

I get what you're saying, but I think the difference lies in the mortality rate between H1N1 and COVID-19, as this coronavirus is by any and every measure FAR more lethal than H1N1 was. I don't believe that's a political issue at all.

Pelosi's quote was "civilization as we know it is at stake" and was referring to the 2020 election. I don't agree with that statement, but at least use the quote correctly. Italy is literally having a response at a similar level as it did in WWII, so Bernie isn't exactly wrong there.
Are you kidding about Italy, or are you really that ignorant? 457,000 people died there during WW2. Bernie is completely out to lunch.

I get what you're saying, but I think the difference lies in the mortality rate between H1N1 and COVID-19, as this coronavirus is by any and every measure FAR more lethal than H1N1 was. I don't believe that's a political issue at all.
Is it though? In one year there were OVER 12,000 deaths from H1N1, which comes to 1,000 deaths per month. Since the beginning of this year, there have been 39 deaths due to the corona virus, that amounts to under 18 deaths a month. It appears H1N1 was much more lethal.

Maybe we should have “over-reacted” when H1N1 broke out.
Yes they should have if 39 deaths is enough to cancel any and everything today. Why didn't they over-react during the days of the H1N1 and destroy the economy when the body count was totaling 1,000 a month? I'll give you one guess.

Top Bottom