Is This the End of College Football?

saw this quote on Twitter:

Dr. Carlos Del Rio, a chief medical advisor for the NCAA and Emory University professor, likened the possibility of playing football this fall to being on the Titanic. “We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic: we have hit the iceberg and we’re trying to make decision on when the band should play,’ Del Rio said during a briefing with the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
And you've got a lot of posters on here who are like the stupid rich people on the ship. "Tell the servants to turn the heaters on in the rooms. It's quite chilly out here."

Herd immunity has already happened in Sweden, we should send the boys over there to play football.

Yes a few thousand people died due to inadequate nursing home protections. A tiny number of young people died.

Check your facts, don't follow the herd. They are ignorant, gullible and cowardly.
There is no official study or accredited scientific body claiming Sweden has herd immunity as far as I am aware. If you can provide one please do, and I will take back this statement.

saw this quote on Twitter:

Dr. Carlos Del Rio, a chief medical advisor for the NCAA and Emory University professor, likened the possibility of playing football this fall to being on the Titanic. “We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic: we have hit the iceberg and we’re trying to make decision on when the band should play,’ Del Rio said during a briefing with the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
The full article references their recommendations with myocarditis, says they recommend no high strain physical activity for 3 months! Man, that would suck for the athlete cause that's your whole season regardless of if the initial symptoms from covid are over...Can you imagine trevor lawrence being anything but unhappy if he caught covid and then happened to be one of those who got myocarditis?

There is no official study or accredited scientific body claiming Sweden has herd immunity as far as I am aware. If you can provide one please do, and I will take back this statement.
Agree, and there is more evidence that it has not happened, like this journal published article.

Then how do you explain this, when they haven't put any more restrictions in place?

1597346499021.png

1597346476691.png

Then how do you explain this, when they haven't put any more restrictions in place?

View attachment 9104

View attachment 9103
To be honest, I can't. What I was saying is that nothing definitively proves Sweden has reached herd immunity. 1. Because we don't know what percentage is required to achieve herd immunity for Covid, as that varies from illness to illness depending on how contagious it is, and 2. I don't think there has been a study in Sweden to estimate what level of the population has Covid antibodies.

Just because I, a random citizen with no medical experience, cannot come up with a different explanation does not mean that the claim of herd immunity is correct. However, maybe an epidemiologist would have another explanation, I don't know. That's why I asked for either a scientific study or accredited scientific institution that backs the Sweden herd immunity claim.

That is a really good point. I have favorite players on the Gophers, but I don't tune in specifically to watch Rashad Bateman or Tanner Morgran (although while watching them makes my experience better), but I do tune in to watch the Gophers. I've been a fan longer than any current player has been alive and will continue to be a fan long after they are done playing.
I mean if the level of football shrank to that of the MiAC of course some fans would be lost. But fans are lost when the team is 5-7 instead of 9-4

I agree with everything you said here.
If there was a way to pay players and make money....someone would’ve come up with it already and taken a cut.

View attachment 9104

View attachment 9103

A plausible explanation is that the populace became more cautious and are following the social distancing and masking measures in affect more and some are probably going beyond the measures mandated. Until we know what level of the population needs immunity for covid herd immunity, you cannot for sure say that is what it is. The numbers alone are not enough information one way or the other and I'm trusting the medical professionals on this one who say sweden hasn't hit herd immunity.

Yikes! I guess we've been wrong along. I'll just go tell my 92 year old mother there's no use in social distancing or mask wearing anymore because the only thing to fear is your death. "Me Strong, You Weak". Love ya Mom, but I can't be enslaved anymore.

As I understood the article, its gist was that herd immunity was building faster than many/most realize. Nowhere did it suggest vulnerable people such as your elderly mother should come out to play.

A plausible explanation is that the populace became more cautious and are following the social distancing and masking measures in affect more and some are probably going beyond the measures mandated. Until we know what level of the population needs immunity for covid herd immunity, you cannot for sure say that is what it is. The numbers alone are not enough information one way or the other and I'm trusting the medical professionals on this one who say sweden hasn't hit herd immunity.

Sweden does have some social distancing rules in place, but they are the same as they always have been, and are significantly less than many areas of the US. They do not wear masks.

A virus disappears when it runs out of people to infect, that's epidemiology 101.

I'll agree that there are many questions surrounding what herd immunity means for this disease. It's still possible immunity is only short term. But as of now, Sweden has only a few restrictions in place, has never closed schools, and the virus is currently only infecting a few people with very few of them dying.

Just curious. Does the NCCA have a stand on all this?
As I understood the article, its gist was that herd immunity was building faster than many/most realize. Nowhere did it suggest vulnerable people such as your elderly mother should come out to play.
Sorry to confuse you but my reaction was to his comments not the article.

Last edited:

@Taji34, you'll be the last to know, but our official and accredited scientific bodies are politicized and corrupt. You'll have to read the graph for yourself, and note that the vast majority of people who have caught COVID are not going to catch it again and pass it to others.

1597376890146.png

@Taji34, you'll be the last to know, but our official and accredited scientific bodies are politicized and corrupt. You'll have to read the graph for yourself, and note that the vast majority of people who have caught COVID are not going to catch it again and pass it to others.

View attachment 9108

You know, you might have some ground to stand on if it was just the US or a few countries saying one thing when everyone else was saying something else...it's another thing when literally the whole world is in some state of lock down...the whole world isn't putting on some sort of show to make a US political party look bad...

You know, you might have some ground to stand on if it was just the US or a few countries saying one thing when everyone else was saying something else...it's another thing when literally the whole world is in some state of lock down...the whole world isn't putting on some sort of show to make a US political party look bad...
I'm in Iowa no lockdown here. Masks are not required except by Wal-Mart and Menards. Target might I haven't shopped there in years.

I had an antibody test so no need for me to wear a mask.

Scientific dogma turns in small increments rather than 180 degree snaps, for sometimes vain reasons. The amount we don’t know is greater than the amount we know, perhaps. We have inserted peripheral antibody titers as a surrogate for immunity even as we don’t have the foggiest idea if that’s actually the case with COVID-19. Maybe, maybe not? Could it be we don’t fully understand the immune system?

Sweden’s population is around 10.2M people.

Worldometer shows around 84k total cases. Even if it were actually 10x more, that’s still only 840k cases, which is about 8.2% of their population.

Zero chance they’ve reached herd immunity. Lots and lots of food for the virus to feed on, in Sweden.

Sweden’s population is around 10.2M people.

Worldometer shows around 84k total cases. Even if it were actually 10x more, that’s still only 840k cases, which is about 8.2% of their population.

Zero chance they’ve reached herd immunity. Lots and lots of food for the virus to feed on, in Sweden.

Case in point

It’s not the end of college football, just a change at the FBS level. You now have the . . .

G4 SBC, MWC, MAC, CUSA
P4 SEC, ACC, B12, AAC
S2 B10, P12 (Sanctimonious two)

We are going to see very soon...there's an election coming up. It sure looks like Biden will win. If this does happen will the drama level of news coverage about Covid tone down? I am not saying - but I am watching with interest.

View attachment 9108
I never said the source had to be in the US. I would accept a foreign study or accredited scientific body claiming Sweden has heard immunity.

Unless, *gasps*, it's the whole world trying to pull the wool over our eyes and you are one of the few who sees through it! Oh the humanity!

An issue with the XFL and AAF was the QB's don't have time to get comfortable with an offense.
It's all thrown together with random coaches and QB's and only given a couple weeks to prepare with no pre-season.

The product would probably improve a lot if they simply got to a second season in some cases.

I think the only way a real NFL competitor happens is if they form a league and have each team issue an IPO so it's a publicly traded company that fans can buy into. I'd be far more likely to watch a team if I had an invested interest.
Could the CFL expand to the U.S.? (yes, I know about the current COVID border restrictions). I kind of like their rules. Add a few U.S. cities to the league and you'd get some interest from the U.S. fans. Not saying this will happen, but it'd be a way of a league with seasoned teams becoming more of a competitor to the NFL.

Could the CFL expand to the U.S.? (yes, I know about the current COVID border restrictions). I kind of like their rules. Add a few U.S. cities to the league and you'd get some interest from the U.S. fans. Not saying this will happen, but it'd be a way of a league with seasoned teams becoming more of a competitor to the NFL.

We would have to move the goalposts.

We would have to move the goalposts.
Moving the goalposts is done all the time in politics... But yes, good point about CFL. The fields in the U.S. are shorter, and the endzones not as deep. If there really was an expansion to have teams in the U.S. (again, I'm not predicting this will happen), they could figure a way to make an existing field work.

View attachment 9104

View attachment 9103
They've taken the "the less you test, the less cases there are" approach. Kinda joking but they don't test as many people as some other countries have.

Sweden has many advantages compared to many other countries (especially the US) that makes it much easier to get this under control. Their population is significantly healthier, their population is much more spread out, and over 50% of their households are made up of one person.

Less than 10% of their tests have come back positive. I would think it would be much higher if herd immunity was achieved?

Case in point

I don’t think you can say that with 100% certainty. There is a THEORY (key word here) that herd immunity may be lower. The TLDR version is that immunity from previous infection/illness (likely other similar viruses) is effective for some in fending off COVID-19.

I don’t think you can say that with 100% certainty. There is a THEORY (key word here) that herd immunity may be lower. The TLDR version is that immunity from previous infection/illness (likely other similar viruses) is effective for some in fending off COVID-19.

The hypothesis for that theory is that it could be as low as 20% (rather than the normal 60-70%). Let's math that out.

As was stated earlier, Sweden's population is 10.23 million, and they only have 84,294 positive tests. Which means,even if all of those people lived, they are only at 0.82% of their total population having antibodies and immunity. However, they've had 5,783 deaths, so that brings them down 0.76% of their population having immunity.

So even with the theoretical lower herd immunity statistic of 20% with antibodies, for them to reach that metric is means they about 25x additional people with antibodies, about 1,962,775. Now I don't know what their testing metrics are, but I find it hard to believe there are that many people in Sweden who had covid who haven't gotten tested.

The math just does not support the herd immunity argument in Sweden, regardless of that theory.

Based on the graphs, it might be the case that — at this moment — there is relatively little active sars2 virus in Sweden, per population or however you want to normalize it.

But to pretend that it’s over and done, defeated and gone forever there, is a laughable farce and frankly a hyper-partisan lie. It only takes the wrong person, unknowingly super-spreading, and it could start right back up again. Sweden is nowhere near herd immune.

Top Bottom