Is This the End of College Football?

If you don't see that successful risk taking is a developmental process, and that learning to take small risks for small rewards is preparatory to taking large risks for incalculable rewards then you are not a strategic thinker. Think harder.

Stop trying to be so profound, you hard-thinking, strategic thinker. You're actually a junior high kid throwing a hissy fit over and over. But keep throwing in terms like "incalculable rewards" if it makes you feel better. If you don't see the banality of comparing the sacrifices made to end the evils of Nazism versus having a football season, I can't help you. Then again, I see where you got your idea--from that noted historian, Lou Holtz.

If you want to make WWII comparisons, maybe contrast how the nation was unified in 1941, facing that crises versus today where everyone seems to be going every which way based mainly on whether they are in a red or a blue region. You've got 30% to 35% of the people taking their cues from a guy who has told us the virus will disappear; to injest poisons; paying attention to someone who has a theory about "demon semen"; and who, just yesterday babbled on about WWII ending the Great Pandemic of 1917 because all the soldiers got sick. No wonder the country's leading pandemic doctor needs security because of threats and we've got 250,000 bad-ass wannabes partying in South Dakota going home in several days to possibly spread this thing further.

We are so screwed if we don't get it together and what's happening in college football just mirrors the rest of the turmoil in this country. BTW, I think the BIG did pull the plug too early; but I also happen to think some university or universities will pay a price when one of their athletes has serious complications from the virus.

Stop trying to be so profound, you hard-thinking, strategic thinker. You're actually a junior high kid throwing a hissy fit over and over. But keep throwing in terms like "incalculable rewards" if it makes you feel better. If you don't see the banality of comparing the sacrifices made to end the evils of Nazism versus having a football season, I can't help you. Then again, I see where you got your idea--from that noted historian, Lou Holtz.

If you want to make WWII comparisons, maybe contrast how the nation was unified in 1941, facing that crises versus today where everyone seems to be going every which way based mainly on whether they are in a red or a blue region. You've got 30% to 35% of the people taking their cues from a guy who has told us the virus will disappear; to injest poisons; paying attention to someone who has a theory about "demon semen"; and who, just yesterday babbled on about WWII ending the Great Pandemic of 1917 because all the soldiers got sick. No wonder the country's leading pandemic doctor needs security because of threats and we've got 250,000 bad-ass wannabes partying in South Dakota going home in several days to possibly spread this thing further.

We are so screwed if we don't get it together and what's happening in college football just mirrors the rest of the turmoil in this country. BTW, I think the BIG did pull the plug too early; but I also happen to think some university or universities will pay a price when one of their athletes has serious complications from the virus.

College football is a risk worth taking, SARSCOV is less risky than the flu, driving, and football itself for our young athletes.

Young men need to break free from the chains of mommyitis, and you do too @Mulligan.

I give this one week before this cancellation becomes bigger than COVID-19. And the Big Ten will soon find itself in a logic trap.

There are an army of CTE experts that have been clamoring for an end to college football. This will prove to be just too perfect an opportunity for them to make their advance.

If college football had to be cancelled for the safety of the players, you certainly cannot argue that the risk of death and CTE is acceptable. These presidents will certainly have no choice but to join the CTE experts, who will soon be calling for a ban on football due to its violent contact, particularly school-sanctioned football.

Last edited:

Unless football programs start folding up due to this pandemic, I don't see the XFL being used as a development league for the NFL which it likely would have to subsidize to some extent.

from the Lizard King:

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend
The end of our elaborate plans
The end of ev'rything that stands
The end
I believe this was the first R-rated movie I attended. Bro took me to it right after it was released. The intro absolutely cemented The Doors as my favorite band.

I'll never look into your eyes...again...

I give this one week before this cancellation becomes bigger than COVID-19. And the Big Ten will soon find itself in a logic trap.

There are an army of CTE experts that have been clamoring for an end to college football. This will prove to be just too perfect an opportunity for them to make their advance.

If college football had to be cancelled for the safety of the players, you certainly cannot argue that the risk of death and CTE is acceptable. These presidents will certainly have no choice but to join the CTE experts, who will soon be calling for a ban on football due to its violent contact, particularly school-sanctioned football.

That’s all possible, and there have been rare voices calling for a ban of football because of very rare CTE in amateur athletes, despite the numerous intangible and less measurable social, psychological beneficial side effects. That’s a different argument for another day.

What is possible is this event, COVID-19 could snowball into a discussion on impending NLI legislation, a push for player unionization, paying players, social justice issues. I’m not saying it will, but the headaches and distractions and the prospect of running a sports business employing professional athletes, all these issues confluencing with perhaps many regents/presidents not being active athletics supporters to begin with (nevemind public statements) coupled with the impending school financial shortfalls relating to COVID-19 could very well push many schools to divorce themselves from scholarship athletics altogether. For many the associated costs exacerbated by the pandemic, and the massive tilt towards even less of a level playing field with NLI etc could be a watershed moment.

Be careful what you wish for, guys (and gals). You could very well end up with nothing or something very different than you imagined..

Well, if it all ends, at least we were unbeaten in 2020 with a nice win.

:rolleyes:

That’s all possible, and there have been rare voices calling for a ban of football because of very rare CTE in amateur athletes, despite the numerous intangible and less measurable social, psychological beneficial side effects. That’s a different argument for another day.

What is possible is this event, COVID-19 could snowball into a discussion on impending NLI legislation, a push for player unionization, paying players, social justice issues. I’m not saying it will, but the headaches and distractions and the prospect of running a sports business employing professional athletes, all these issues confluencing with perhaps many regents/presidents not being active athletics supporters to begin with (nevemind public statements) coupled with the impending school financial shortfalls relating to COVID-19 could very well push many schools to divorce themselves from scholarship athletics altogether. For many the associated costs exacerbated by the pandemic, and the massive tilt towards even less of a level playing field with NLI etc could be a watershed moment.

Be careful what you wish for, guys (and gals). You could very well end up with nothing or something very different than you imagined..

To not play games in the name of "player safety" is not any more significant of a contributor than playing the games "without the concern for player safety". There are arguments on both sides that can push the momentum forward if that is the direction it is going.

Danny Kannell said something interesting on Twitter when comparing Minor League sports (he played Minor League Baseball) and D1 Football (FSU QB). I don't remember the exact wording he used, but basically there is no comparison. At FSU he had the best of the best at the time when it comes to facilities, training, rehab, great meals throughout the week, great hotels, etc. While playing Minor League Baseball he was on charter buses, eating fast food, staying at cheaper hotels.

The XFL could steal some guys, but why would you pass up being treated like a king at some of these schools vs. what you have in the XFL?

This is the thing very few people want to acknowledge. It's all about the opressed athletes getting screwed for their free labor. I notice it a lot more with college basketball players rushing to go play in the G League or in Europe where, yes, they get paid, but the experience is nowhere near similar.

Way to do your homework....lol

a prime example of "you can't fix stupid"

@alchemy2u, have you done yours? Why do you think @SARSCOV2 is so dangerous? Because your your politician, cable channel and social media provider says so? Our authorities have exaggerated the danger of this disease from the very beginning. The countries and states that have done the best are the ones that didn't lock down, we now can enjoy SEC, ACC and BIG12 football because they had less restrictions from than the Northern states, and they now are close to herd immunity. Would that Minnesota had the enlightened public health leadership of Sweden, South Dakota, Georgia, Florida, Texas. Look at their curves man!

Instead, we are like New Zealand, radical lockdown because of their neurotic germaphobe prime minister, now they have an outbreak and have to lock down harder.

You stupid rube, let the virus run it's course, a vaccine is too far out. Don't destroy the country in a vain attempt to control a highly contagious virus that mainly impacts the sickest part of the population. Protect the week!, don't enslave the strong!

Here is a reading assignment Mr. Conformist: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/08/11/1006366/immunity-slowing-down-coronavirus-parts-us/

I scratched my head when the Rock bought the XFL after it failed once again. However, now would be the time to capitalize on a cancelled college football season to start up a private (bubble?) league of college athletes willing to give up their eligibility in order to showcase their talents for the NFL.

This would be the start of the NFL version of the G league. Here you don't have to 'play school' and can get paid to play the game you love. If you're a JR or SR in college, our just out of college trying to make the NFL this year, why not sign a contract to play if you want to play. The demand to play would be as large as the ratings they would get without a college football season.
If the Power5 cannot coordinate, then yes, maybe college football is at the beginning of the end. There needs to be coordination.

@alchemy2u, have you done yours? Why do you think @SARSCOV2 is so dangerous? Because your your politician, cable channel and social media provider says so? Our authorities have exaggerated the danger of this disease from the very beginning. The countries and states that have done the best are the ones that didn't lock down, we now can enjoy SEC, ACC and BIG12 football because they had less restrictions from than the Northern states, and they now are close to herd immunity. Would that Minnesota had the enlightened public health leadership of Sweden, South Dakota, Georgia, Florida, Texas. Look at their curves man!

Instead, we are like New Zealand, radical lockdown because of their neurotic germaphobe prime minister, now they have an outbreak and have to lock down harder.

You stupid rube, let the virus run it's course, a vaccine is too far out. Don't destroy the country in a vain attempt to control a highly contagious virus that mainly impacts the sickest part of the population. Protect the week!, don't enslave the strong!

Here is a reading assignment Mr. Conformist: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/08/11/1006366/immunity-slowing-down-coronavirus-parts-us/
An outbreak? Really? Man, I wish the US was in a position where 10 new cases could be considered an outbreak.

Yikes! I guess we've been wrong along. I'll just go tell my 92 year old mother there's no use in social distancing or mask wearing anymore because the only thing to fear is your death. "Me Strong, You Weak". Love ya Mom, but I can't be enslaved anymore.

An outbreak? Really? Man, I wish the US was in a position where 10 new cases could be considered an outbreak.
Yeah...but 10 cases in New Zealand is the equivalent of 675 in the US! I wonder if we'd be worried about playing sports if we only had 700 cases/day instead of 55,000?

this is the correct question.
So many things are going to change. We will look back in 20 years and point out this time as an inflection on how things work - including higher education. Sadly, the college football experience may be part of that. I hope Im wrong. Regardless, I will be a fan until my last breath.

Still waiting for an answer to this question —. How can a University offer a safe haven for 10,000 or more students yet can’t offer a safe place for 150 football players?

The USFL and the XFL both have better players than college football.

they both fail to make money and fold

it’s almost like the institutions themselves drive some of, if not most of, the popularity of college football

The USFL and the XFL both have better players than college football.

they both fail to make money and fold

it’s almost like the institutions themselves drive some of, if not most of, the popularity of college football
That is a really good point. I have favorite players on the Gophers, but I don't tune in specifically to watch Rashad Bateman or Tanner Morgran (although while watching them makes my experience better), but I do tune in to watch the Gophers. I've been a fan longer than any current player has been alive and will continue to be a fan long after they are done playing.

Still waiting for an answer to this question —. How can a University offer a safe haven for 10,000 or more students yet can’t offer a safe place for 150 football players?
Are the 10,000 students blocking and tackling each other?

Any other apples to watermelons questions?

Answer: they can't offer one to students, they just say they are. They can't afford to go fully online due to potential lawsuits about tuition prices and can't reasonably afford to lower costs at all in a fully online situation, so they are putting something in place where students are on campus but only with the bare minimum in person instruction to justify it. The University of Washington had an outbreak among greek life due to a single party. Anyone who doesn't think it'll spread on campus is kidding themselves.

The CTE argument is dumb. You dont have to play football! All sorts of physical & mental damage can be caused by playing football. You get covid from being near people, we have to avoid being near people until we have a vaccine. Herd immunity is not reasonable because millions of people will die in the process. But I suppose some people are so callous and selfish that they dont mind killing the "weak" in order to watch OSU and not wear a mask inside a store.

What a dumb answer, apples to watermelon. Last time I checked the Big 12 players were wearing mask and/or shields. Everything was copacetic. But then the Big 12 has a leader worth his weight in salt. And the B1G has Warren.

saw this quote on Twitter:

Dr. Carlos Del Rio, a chief medical advisor for the NCAA and Emory University professor, likened the possibility of playing football this fall to being on the Titanic. “We have a serious problem. I feel like the Titanic: we have hit the iceberg and we’re trying to make decision on when the band should play,’ Del Rio said during a briefing with the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

The CTE argument is dumb. You dont have to play football! All sorts of physical & mental damage can be caused by playing football. You get covid from being near people, we have to avoid being near people until we have a vaccine. Herd immunity is not reasonable because millions of people will die in the process. But I suppose some people are so callous and selfish that they dont mind killing the "weak" in order to watch OSU and not wear a mask inside a store.

Herd immunity has already happened in Sweden, we should send the boys over there to play football.

Yes a few thousand people died due to inadequate nursing home protections. A tiny number of young people died.

Check your facts, don't follow the herd. They are ignorant, gullible and cowardly.

Top Bottom