Is it time to pull a shirt and start developing a QB for the future?

This season? If you think he's been below average in a couple of the other games this season then maybe your expectations are too high. He had been solid up to this point. Not great, but certainly not below average.

Mitch has been mostly terrible his entire career....A strong leader steps up and makes plays today....Mitch has never been a strong leader.....Play for the future even if Claeys has none.

Good point. We were stuck between a rock and hard place. Claeys was the safe choice and likely kept a good recruiting class together. Which keeping him did do. But risking more years on someone who had never been a HC isn't fiscally sound either. So you can argue that we've forced Claeys hand.

No argument at all really. Mitch is head and shoulders the best QB we have right now. The fact that Claeys is on a one year contract just reinforces how much of a no-brainer starting Mitch all season is. I understand people are frustrated, I'm frustrated too. I've been labelled a Mich-hater on this site now for over two years, so I'm not being a homer. The idea of throwing in the towel on our season & inserting a vastly inferior QB is just frustration speaking.

ive been on record saying i think either croft or green will be a better fit for jays offense and will have a better career when its all said and done

Hope you are right. Clearly they don't feel either of them is a better fit at the moment though as they would have zero reason not to play them if they felt they could run the offense better than Mitch. They have no reason to save a redshirt season for a QB they won't be coaching anyway when that last year comes around if they don't start winning games this year.

Hope you are right. Clearly they don't feel either of them is a better fit at the moment though as they would have zero reason not to play them if they felt they could run the offense better than Mitch. They have no reason to save a redshirt season for a QB they won't be coaching anyway when that last year comes around if they don't start winning games this year.

yea not ideal

No argument at all really. Mitch is head and shoulders the best QB we have right now. The fact that Claeys is on a one year contract just reinforces how much of a no-brainer starting Mitch all season is. I understand people are frustrated, I'm frustrated too. I've been labelled a Mich-hater on this site now for over two years, so I'm not being a homer. The idea of throwing in the towel on our season & inserting a vastly inferior QB is just frustration speaking.

Costa...The idea here is you let the vastly inferior QB get experience in a lost year. That way he has a chance of being somewhat competent next year. Although I'd argue plenty of freshmen QBs play D1 football and do just fine. All that said, I agree, we're stuck with Mitch until the end.

nope QB play is the main reason this team can't get to the next level ive seen enough of mitch

This is a different argument. Leidner had been playing well up to this point THIS SEASON. You responded saying he had been sub-par in multiple games. Overall, yes. This season, no.

Jay Johnson will not have the opportunity to coach up a new QB... Only way he will get that chance is if we keep Claeys and his staff here beyond this year, but that's depressing because then we will all know that Coyle doesn't care much about the Football program.

Mitch has been mostly terrible his entire career....A strong leader steps up and makes plays today....Mitch has never been a strong leader.....Play for the future even if Claeys has none.

Again, I was just responding to him because he stated Leidner had been sub par in many games THIS SEASON.

Mitch was off all game. Twice he didn't get all 11 players set and proceeded to get a penalty. Secondly, his timing was way off. And lastly when coming off the field in the second half with the 3 and outs he slumped his shoulders and shook his head and was looking on the ground when the defense was in. I think you teammates notice that.

This is a different argument. Leidner had been playing well up to this point THIS SEASON. You responded saying he had been sub-par in multiple games. Overall, yes. This season, no.

sorry mitch is not very good i disagree with you. for a senior QB he has not refined his technique, showed better consistency on throws, or fixed bad habits. thats on coaching (which was fired last year) for not developing him but that doesnt change the fact that he still isnt good.

without better QB play this team has a ceiling you need a better signal caller to have a respectable offense that can give our defense a break and its clear we dont have that

Exactly - They are going to play the guy they feel gives them the best shot of winning and clearly they still think that guy is Mitch as they aren't giving any of the other guys snaps in games.

Mitch hasn't been the problem in the other games this year but he had a terrible day today. I would fully expect to see Mitch under center next week and every week until the time comes when the coaches feel one of the backups is a better option. The real question is whether or not that day will come at some point this season.

Agree with all of that but not redshirting Croft is still worth consideration. Leidner should at least feel a little heat.

Costa...The idea here is you let the vastly inferior QB get experience <b>in a lost year. </b>That way he has a chance of being somewhat competent next year. Although I'd argue plenty of freshmen QBs play D1 football and do just fine. All that said, I agree, we're stuck with Mitch until the end.

However, the coaches and players and most fans wouldn't consider 3-2 a lost season. It may get there, but it isn't there yet. Hey, I'm on board for starting Croft to see if the different style sparks something - but because what I saw today was atrocious not because I'm convinced we can't win another game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, the coaches and players and most fans wouldn't consider 3-2 a lost season. It may get there, but it isn't there yet. Hey, I'm on board for starting Croft to see if the different style sparks something - but because what I saw today was atrocious not because I'm convinced we can't win another game.

They may win another game or two, but does it really matter?....This year they were supposed to compete for the West title and that will not happen now....Play a youngster.

Croft had no business being on the field last year.

Mitch is one of our best players.

But if this continues, I can see the coaches giving another QB a shot--simply as CYA.

If Croft or Green are really considerably worse than Leidner, it would interfere in the development of the rest of our team. We should play the best team that we can play.

Additionally, if we are making a change, wouldn't we want 3 years of Croft and 4 years of Williams/Green in the new system. Why waste that now?

We do not pull a redshirt on a lost season.

Despite the awful performance today, Leidner still gives you the best chance to win. Keep playing him.

Play Rhoda for a break, if needed. I agree that we need to develop the players around the QB to help the QB next season. Don't play any of the three young QB's.

The entire offense played clueless today. Blocking was mostly bad. Receivers weren't getting open. Brooks and Smith kept the offense from looking completely inept. Replacing Mitch doesn't fix weak play at other positions.

Costa...The idea here is you let the vastly inferior QB get experience in a lost year. That way he has a chance of being somewhat competent next year. Although I'd argue plenty of freshmen QBs play D1 football and do just fine. All that said, I agree, we're stuck with Mitch until the end.

Gear down big shifter! We're 3-2.

Top Bottom