Is it time to pull a shirt and start developing a QB for the future?

Tlsbhansen

Reaction score
In watching this game it is evident there is no future with Leidner at the helm. He looks totally lost and incapable . Locks on one of two receivers and has no touch or accuracy.

You are gonna get flamed in 3....2....1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And we wonder why no one comes to watch Gopher football...

I agree. Start the backup (is it Croft at this point)? The whole, "easy schedule=lots of wins," is out the door. Just do something for the future instead of the now. Please.

Somebody has given up on this year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep. And start looking for a new head coach. Be mad at me all you want, I have only ever said that once and that was about Jim Whacker. This team has no fire, leadership, or discipline.

Claeys isn't going to look towards the future when he's coaching for his job this year.

Yes but it won't happen, coaching staff isn't smart enough or brave enough to do it.

the coaches are playing for their lives i trust jay to know when it is time to play another QB even though he might be blinded by the relationship he has with mitch i want them to have more years to develop a qb i think seth or demry will be better but if not they're gone

Is croft good enough? That's the wild card we'd only know if we watched practice.

So people expect a coaching staff who is coaching for their jobs to give up on the season and start looking ahead at the future?

Looks like we'll go into next season with a total rookie, since Leidner is getting every play. Leidner has been running hot and cold all his career. Today cold. But offense was dull all afternoon - no screen passes I can remember, endless runs between the tackles, no misdirection, nothing interesting and not much hustle or spirit. We need a new OC as badly as a new HC.

So people expect a coaching staff who is coaching for their jobs to give up on the season and start looking ahead at the future?

Exactly - They are going to play the guy they feel gives them the best shot of winning and clearly they still think that guy is Mitch as they aren't giving any of the other guys snaps in games.

Mitch hasn't been the problem in the other games this year but he had a terrible day today. I would fully expect to see Mitch under center next week and every week until the time comes when the coaches feel one of the backups is a better option. The real question is whether or not that day will come at some point this season.

i agree with you claeys might have assurances from coyle that he's good for at least a minute to do this or he just sucks i hope its the former.

Exactly - They are going to play the guy they feel gives them the best shot of winning and clearly they still think that guy is Mitch as they aren't giving any of the other guys snaps in games.

Mitch hasn't been the problem in the other games
this year but he had a terrible day today. I would fully expect to see Mitch under center next week and every week until the time comes when the coaches feel one of the backups is a better option. The real question is whether or not that day will come at some point this season.

mitch absolutely has been sub-par in plenty of other games and his lack of coordination and skill set hampers this offensive scheme immensely

Anyone still believe if we bench Mitch that Rhoda will play? I don't see his name mentioned here but I was educated in reading a depth chart earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In watching this game it is evident there is no future with Leidner at the helm. He looks totally lost and incapable . Locks on one of two receivers and has no touch or accuracy.

I asked that last week and was vilified. I'm all for benching Leidner, we'll likely win only one more game with him at the helm, so why not give the experience to someone who can do something with it.

Mitch has played some great games. Mitch has played some terrible games. Today's game was one of the terrible games... I think we are out of contention already, so I am on the side that thinks we should see if any of the other QB's have potential and or get them ready for next year. There is no way we can catch Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Will the coaches make a switch? Hell no... they will be set on trying to save their behinds. They could care less about the future of Gophers football. Their best chance to win in their minds will be with Mitch.

mitch absolutely has been sub-par in plenty of other games and his lack of coordination and skill set hampers this offensive scheme immensely

And yet the coaches run him out there play after play because clearly they have no faith in any of the other options on the roster to do any better than Mitch. I absolutely agree that Mitch leaves a ton to be desired as a QB but nobody on the roster seems to be able to beat him out for the starting QB job so until that time comes we are stuck with Mitch and just have to hope the good version of him shows up and not the one that took the field today.

Mitch has played some great games. Mitch has played some terrible games. Today's game was one of the terrible games... I think we are out of contention already, so I am on the side that thinks we should see if any of the other QB's have potential and or get them ready for next year. There is no way we can catch Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Will the coaches make a switch? Hell no... they will be set on trying to save their behinds. They could care less about the future of Gophers football. Their best chance to win in their minds will be with Mitch.

Agreed, which is why they won't be around any longer than Mitch either. Long Term planning says play the backup. Win now mentality says play Mitch and hope you can get to Detroit again.

What future, Claeys is on a one year contract. He is obviously not to going to bench our 5th year starter. He'll ride or die with Mitch.

Agreed, which is why they won't be around any longer than Mitch either. Long Term planning says play the backup. Win now mentality says play Mitch and hope you can get to Detroit again.

The don't give a guy a one year contract, duh.

And yet the coaches run him out there play after play because clearly they have no faith in any of the other options on the roster to do any better than Mitch. I absolutely agree that Mitch leaves a ton to be desired as a QB but nobody on the roster seems to be able to beat him out for the starting QB job so until that time comes we are stuck with Mitch and just have to hope the good version of him shows up and not the one that took the field today.

A very similarly stubborn coaching staff benched the previous QB, who was > Leidner, in favor of Leidner; and after that QB left the program, they then wouldn't let the backup throw a pass...

I wonder how either of those two guys are doing these days.

ive been on record saying i think either croft or green will be a better fit for jays offense and will have a better career when its all said and done

The don't give a guy a one year contract, duh.

Good point. We were stuck between a rock and hard place. Claeys was the safe choice and likely kept a good recruiting class together. Which keeping him did do. But risking more years on someone who had never been a HC isn't fiscally sound either. So you can argue that we've forced Claeys hand.

This season? If you think he's been below average in a couple of the other games this season then maybe your expectations are too high. He had been solid up to this point. Not great, but certainly not below average.

This season? If you think he's been below average in a couple of the other games this season then maybe your expectations are too high. He had been solid up to this point. Not great, but certainly not below average.

nope QB play is the main reason this team can't get to the next level ive seen enough of mitch

Top Bottom