Is It Realistic to Move On From Johnson This Year?

I understand dumping a guy after 2 years is ridiculous and extremely rare, but you think this thing is trending in the right direction?
Right now no but nobody thought year three of Pitino was trending in the right direction either.

The biggest thing Johnson has going for him is the 4 freshman. My god Battle, Cooper, and Garcia have been terrible today. If he can keep the 4 fresh here, and that’s a big if, he’s got a chance to get things turned around.
If our current players are 1-16, I don't know how comforted by the thought of "most of them will be back next year."

Right now no but nobody thought year three of Pitino was trending in the right direction either.
Vastly difference circumstances. Pitino had 25 wins in his first year and 18 in his 2nd. We came in ranked Top 20 I believe in his 3rd year, then scandal and injury ruined that.

We don't have that type of situation here.

Pitino would have been fired after that season if we'd had an AD in place and Coyle all but said so when he was hired. Granted that was bad both on and off court. That team also was generally far more competitive than this one is prior to the suspensions though.

They weren't ranked in the top 20 that year. That was year 5.
Was year 5 when Reggie Lynch happened? I remember we had a big game against Miami where both teams were top 15 I believe.

Was year 5 when Reggie Lynch happened? I remember we had a big game against Miami where both teams were top 15 I believe.
Reggie Lynch had multiple things, but yes that was year 5.

Ridiculous. He's not getting 4 much less 5 if next year is anything like this.
I hear what you and most everyone is saying. I get your reasoning. But I believe CBJ will get treated a lot like Whalen. Otherwise, there will be a political and optics nightmare, and I believe that issue will take priority.

You or someone like u said I was ridiculous a month ago when I suggested Christie might want out of his LOI. Lo and behold it was Evans, not Christie. Sometimes the ridiculous happens.

I understand dumping a guy after 2 years is ridiculous and extremely rare, but you think this thing is trending in the right direction?

I think that if there isn't a mass exodus after the season....the team will be improved next year. Not sure how else to answer that question.

I think that if there isn't a mass exodus after the season....the team will be improved next year. Not sure how else to answer that question.
The other answer would that they don't improve which I think is how others feel. Or improvement means 3-4 Big 10 wins. That's not enough in Year 3 with guys getting free transfers nowadays.

And Pitino ended up being an abject failure who was fires several years later. I don't know that a comparison to Pitino is a good argument in Johnson's favor.
Pitinos turnaround was ultimately not sustainable but my point still stands that nobody expected the big improvement the next season. It can be done but Ben has to get it right in the portal this year.

Pitinos turnaround was ultimately not sustainable but my point still stands that nobody expected the big improvement the next season. It can be done but Ben has to get it right in the portal this year.
Fair enough - I do think he'll get year 3 and the portal is huge for him. Think that is the general agreement.

They will be improved. That's nearly guaranteed. The question is what level do they need to reach to get year 4 and do you realistically think they can get there?

I'd say NIT level (8-10 B1G wins). And no, I don't think they can get there.

The other answer would that they don't improve which I think is how others feel. Or improvement means 3-4 Big 10 wins. That's not enough in Year 3 with guys getting free transfers nowadays.

You asked if they were trending in the right direction. Since I'm not clairvoyant....I can't see what next year's team looks like. Keep the core and bring in a guy like Payton Willis.....and I think the team looks significantly better.

They will be improved. That's nearly guaranteed. The question is what level do they need to reach to get year 4 and do you realistically think they can get there?

No idea. If it's anywhere near as bad next year....I'd probably agree that it's time to start over.

You asked if they were trending in the right direction. Since I'm not clairvoyant....I can't see what next year's team looks like. Keep the core and bring in a guy like Payton Willis.....and I think the team looks significantly better.

No idea. If it's anywhere near as bad next year....I'd probably agree that it's time to start over.
The bar has been just been lowered so much, it's wild.

The only way I see Ben being replaced is if there is a mass exodus after this season ends in a couple of weeks.

Coyle should be held accountable. He did well with PJ and Motzko, but Whalen and Ben are questionable hires.

No I do not believe it is realistic for me as a fan to believe the admin will move on

Yes it is realistic to move on as a boss.
In fact, once you know it can’t be successful you have the responsibility to move on. And I can tell you right now there is a 0% chance of success.
Not firing the coach at the end of this year is an indictment of the administration.

The biggest thing Johnson has going for him is the 4 freshman. My god Battle, Cooper, and Garcia have been terrible today. If he can keep the 4 fresh here, and that’s a big if, he’s got a chance to get things turned around.
The veteran leadership on this team should be the coaches on the floor. Instead they are the ones turning it over and forcing shots.
Ben gets one more chance. He has to keep the core youth, go get a couple winners and then not stand for sloppy play.

They weren't suspended for the year. They were suspended after the 27th game of the season. They missed 3 regular season games and the Big Ten tournament game.
Ok so we were just a bad team that year.

Many opinions on this and discussion in other threads, but does anybody actually feel that the administration would seriously move on from Johnson after this year? What would it take to do that / is he guaranteed at least 3-4?
My opinion is
He stays as long as he wants and will only leave when he wants.
We are Minnesota !!

I'm pissed about it, but fine give him a 3rd year.
Without staff shakeup or more than just a couple of so so portal players next year is likely more of the same. I think the better question is if it is reasonable to not move on from Johnson. This team absolutely has not improved one bit this year. Yes you see Payne doing some things and sometimes Henley can but play as a whole has been terrible all year and has not improved. That’s coaching.

If he keeps the core together (Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Henley, Carrington, and probably Cooper; I hope Battle leaves), brings along two of this year's sit-out guys, keeps Christie, and recruits a couple guys from the portal who have ability, I think they have a chance to hit 8 Big Ten wins.

If they can go 9-2 in the non-conference, that's 17-14 regular season. That might be enough for him to get a 4th year. I certainly could be wrong but I don't think there will be a big exodus at the end of the year if the coach is retained.

Top Bottom