Is It Realistic to Move On From Johnson This Year?

skiumah1

Reaction score
Many opinions on this and discussion in other threads, but does anybody actually feel that the administration would seriously move on from Johnson after this year? What would it take to do that / is he guaranteed at least 3-4?

Many opinions on this and discussion in other threads, but does anybody actually feel that the administration would seriously move on from Johnson after this year? What would it take to do that / is he guaranteed at least 3-4?

Q1: I don't believe that.

Q2: At least 3 I think; possibly 4. I don't think he can make 5 without showing some level of success.

So the difference between your thread and the other 5 on this topic is that bolded seriously?

Sure.

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

Doubtful.

There’s the many answers given on this topic already many times over.

It’s clear there isn’t a chance at decent recruits now. It’s time to move on. Ben got his chance and couldn’t do it. Having a healthy Fox and Ihnen would not have made this team better than the bottom of the conference.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a thread like this.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In the end you will be the only non racist here. Kudos.

9d4f95a5-8a34-4365-bb37-8f005523af37_text.gif

One has to take a step back and look at this rationally. Why would you keep him? Why would you fire him? What are the consequences--short and long term--of those actions?

Key is the first question: why would you keep him? In another thread I brought up the sunk cost fallacy. Cost is more than dollars. In this case, one cost of this situation has been time. The sunk cost fallacy would say that, because I've invested this much time in him, I need to invest MORE time or the time I've already spent has been in vain. This is, in essence, doubling down on a bet to recover what you've lost. If the reason we would keep him is that we need to make good on the two years we've already invested...

We're never going to recover the lost time and opportunity. That's spent. We're also bearing the growing cost of the deterioration of the program and the fan base.

The performance on the floor does not indicate that the future is promising. The talent he has brought in should win more than one big ten game. However, collectively, they do not play well on either end of the floor. That is coaching. In just the last game there were at least 20 points we gave up that was the result of just terrible defensive play - 101 kind of defense. One example was Battle stood in front of the man he guarded as he took a three (no real contest) and then turned and watched the shot. His man just went around him, grabbed the ball and laid it in. Over and over there were easy layups because no one helped out, they just watched a guy go in for an uncontested layup.

Williams Arena is awful this year. The last time I remember it being like this was Monson's final year. No one cares. I actually remember when you couldn't get a ticket to Williams Arena, where we expected to win every game. There is no reason to go to the games right now, and every year Coyle let's this continue the deeper the hole gets with fans.

As hard as it might be, unless the team really shows something and picks up a couple wins, at least one in regular season and one on Weakling Wednesday, I don't know how you can bring him back. To end the year on a 15+ game losing streak?!? There will be zero enthusiasm for the program among fans, and coaches and parents of recruits cannot be impressed with what they see on the floor right now. The team just does not look well-coached.

I say all this and I had so much hope for Ben. I wanted and still want him to be successful. I don't understand how the team can look so poorly coached game after game. Let's hope the lightbulb turns on a little and we pick up a win today against Nebraska!

Last edited:

They won't, but they absolutely should.

Massive mistake. He'll be fired, the only questions are when, and how much damage until then.
This. We aren't going to fire him because of national optics but the longer they wait the worse it will be. Pretty clear he's absolutely lost. He can either sit at the end if the bench as an asst or coach D2 but that's about it

One has to take a step back and look at this rationally. Why would you keep him? Why would you fire him? What are the consequences--short and long term--of those actions?
This sums it up, 100%.

On one hand, absolutely, it seems like a very, very quick trigger to dump a Head Coach in two years like this.

But honestly, he's dead-man-walking at this point. There is no real reason NOT to move on, the sooner the better seems most logical. The likelihood of recovering from what he's done since he got the gig seems microscopic

Theres zero chance he is fired this year unless there is a mass exodus of players or some scandal comes to light. The upcoming transfer portal is absolutely vital to any chance he has to build some momentum. If he can’t bring in a decent point guard and probably a shooter I think he’s probably let go after next season.

I'd also factor that Coyle had no plans going into this year of Ben even being on the hot seat so not sure how much work has been put in to who that replacement would be.

But I'd imagine now / early March is when you can still put some feelers out and be ok with the timeline there.

I'd also factor that Coyle had no plans going into this year of Ben even being on the hot seat so not sure how much work has been put in to who that replacement would be.

But I'd imagine now / early March is when you can still put some feelers out and be ok with the timeline there.
A responsible AD always has a short list on hand.

The biggest thing Johnson has going for him is the 4 freshman. My god Battle, Cooper, and Garcia have been terrible today. If he can keep the 4 fresh here, and that’s a big if, he’s got a chance to get things turned around.

The biggest thing Johnson has going for him is the 4 freshman. My god Battle, Cooper, and Garcia have been terrible today. If he can keep the 4 fresh here, and that’s a big if, he’s got a chance to get things turned around.
It sounds like Henley is as good as gone. Hopefully the other 3 stay.

What are you seeing that makes you so confident in these freshman? I'm not seeing it.

It sounds like Henley is as good as gone. Hopefully the other 3 stay.
I’m hoping that’s just fan speculation. I would think if Ben had any inkling Henley wouldn’t be playing this much. But then I guess who would play in his place?

I’m hoping that’s just fan speculation. I would think if Ben had any inkling Henley wouldn’t be playing this much. But then I guess who would play in his place?
It sounds like informed speculation. Kool-aid is out on us.

What are you seeing that makes you so confident in these freshman? I'm not seeing it.
Have you watched the game today? The freshman are the only reason they aren’t down by 30. The upper class men have been terrible

Enough already from u guys. Ben gets at least 5 years. Book it.

Theres zero chance he is fired this year unless there is a mass exodus of players or some scandal comes to light. The upcoming transfer portal is absolutely vital to any chance he has to build some momentum. If he can’t bring in a decent point guard and probably a shooter I think he’s probably let go after next season.

Agreed. Nice to see some rational takes on the bball board every once in a while.

So the difference between your thread and the other 5 on this topic is that bolded seriously?

Sure.

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

Doubtful.

There’s the many answers given on this topic already many times over.
Cool, what else should we talk about with the Gopher basketball?

Top Bottom