Is Fleck’s agent actively looking for other coaching jobs?

I don't want PJ to be canned, I want him to change his ridiculous ways.

When you coach scared........ you set the tone for the ENTIRE PROGRAM.

Don't throw the ball.
Don't return punts.
Don't return kicks.
Don't use backups in blowouts.
Don't change the offensive playbook.
Don't use anything with trickery or imagination.
Don't snap the ball till that damn play clock is almost at zero.

The "play to not screw up" helps get you wins against teams that you are physically superior to (Northwestern, Rutgers, etc). But it's not a winning formula (always coaching scared or conservative), when you're trying to break through to another level as a program, and beat the teams even with you or slightly above you.

Go ahead and coach scared. It feeds right down through the locker room.

Change your ways. Change your best.
We need better WRs
We did return punts
We did return kicks
He limited the use of some backups due to trying to get them records. Used them in many other positions though.
see point one
You use what works best and until the other teams stops it.
Keeps our defense off the field. Wouldn't change that at all.

While it is boring sometimes, all that matters is winning. Exciting losses do nothing for anyone.

If you do it that way for P5 next year but assume MN beats Eastern Michigan
4-1 headed into Michigan game
5-3 headed into Illinois game
5-6 headed into Wisconsin game

Gophers win 7 or 8 next year is my prediction.
Nebraska
Eastern Michigan
Northwestern
Lafayette

Plus 3 or 4 of:
Illinois - will be worse next year
Purdue - will be worse next year
Michigan state - will be better next year
Wisconsin - will be questionable next year based on how portal goes post coach hiring
Iowa - will be better next year
North Carolina - will be worse next year

Probably don’t beat Michigan or Ohio state. I think Michigan is better next year than they are this year. I assume Ohio state doesn’t fall too far back.
Luckily ULouisiana has fallen off quickly with Napier gone to Florida. Eastern Mich won't be an easy one, but agree should win.

UNC away, I don't know. I thought they were supposed to be worse this year with losing their stud QB, but they're better this year than last year. Having another stud QB helps I guess.

Hope for Ill, Purdue being down, and MSU at home.

Not sure on the rest. If we get those 4, just gotta get 2 more for the low bowl and Fleck is safe.

Luckily ULouisiana has fallen off quickly with Napier gone to Florida. Eastern Mich won't be an easy one, but agree should win.

UNC away, I don't know. I thought they were supposed to be worse this year with losing their stud QB, but they're better this year than last year. Having another stud QB helps I guess.

Hope for Ill, Purdue being down, and MSU at home.

Not sure on the rest. If we get those 4, just gotta get 2 more for the low bowl and Fleck is safe.
Fleck is safe at any win level next year. It would take absolute disaster like what Texas A&M is going through or an off the field Incident. Fleck’s seat isn’t even warm nor should it be.

Next year could put him in a warm seat for 2024 though

I think you’re very wrong that he is.
I would be willing to bet someone I know money that there is a 0% chance fleck is fired at the end of the 2023 season.

Bet on here seems like too much of a hassle.

I think you’re very wrong that he is.
I would be willing to bet someone I know money that there is a 0% chance fleck is fired at the end of the 2023 season.

Bet on here seems like too much of a hassle.
I wouldn't bet on it, I'd probably lose. I can only state what my gut says.

My gut is very often wrong. It might even be an anti-predictor. :cool:

You fire guys when they lose the players, fans, and program. I don't see that happening. I have them at least Bowl eligible again next year.
Lot will be forgiven if we beat Wisc on Sat.

But lose to Wisc, then don't get bowl-eligible next year losing to Iowa again and finishing with losing to Wisc again ...... I'm telling you ....... people are going to be done.

What has he done at MN that would merit an AD who needs a program rebuild to consider Fleck?
Where would he find another place that would tolerate his schtick?
The current AD chose him and barring a complete collapse next year and the year after is not going to look for a replacement.
I think we are looking at this the wrong way. What coach would take a job from with program that has been mediocre at best for the better part of 70 years, and fired their winningest coach in that time frame. The only serious candidates would be up and coming coordinators or also ran coaches looking for a second/ third chance at a P5 program.

But lose to Wisc, then don't get bowl-eligible next year losing to Iowa again and finishing with losing to Wisc again ...... I'm telling you ....... people are going to be done.
You’re right. If the team next year has the worst record it’s had since 2017 next year people will be upset. No one has disputed that.

You say “I’m telling you”

But you don’t have to. People already know.

Let me ask you, if the team hypothetically won 10 games next year including 2 rivalry games…do you think the fans would be happy? I’m telling you they would be.

^this is what you’re doing but in reverse.

If that happens, you are probably right... and now I need to dig into the depth charts of all teams to see what next year will look like :) :drink:

Fleck is safe at any win level next year. It would take absolute disaster like what Texas A&M is going through or an off the field Incident. Fleck’s seat isn’t even warm nor should it be.

Next year could put him in a warm seat for 2024 though

This is correct.

And for the looney tunes who think PJ could or should be fired, Minnesota ain't paying 10 million this year, or 7 million next year to fire their best coach in 50 years.

There is something really off about the program. I started to notice it last year
I’m not sure exactly what it is, but it seems related to team chemistry

To make that statement, I assume you are close to the program? What did you start to notice?

I think we are looking at this the wrong way. What coach would take a job from with program that has been mediocre at best for the better part of 70 years, and fired their winningest coach in that time frame. The only serious candidates would be up and coming coordinators or also ran coaches looking for a second/ third chance at a P5 program.
Anyone looking to make millions of guaranteed dollars would be interested in the job. Just like Fleck himself was interested in the job.

You fire guys when they lose the players, fans, and program. I don't see that happening. I have them at least Bowl eligible again next year.
Losing the rival games doesn’t help.

If you do it that way for P5 next year but assume MN beats Eastern Michigan
4-1 headed into Michigan game
5-3 headed into Illinois game
5-6 headed into Wisconsin game

Gophers win 7 or 8 next year is my prediction.
Nebraska
Eastern Michigan
Northwestern
Lafayette

Plus 3 or 4 of:
Illinois - will be worse next year
Purdue - will be worse next year
Michigan state - will be better next year
Wisconsin - will be questionable next year based on how portal goes post coach hiring
Iowa - will be better next year
North Carolina - will be worse next year

Probably don’t beat Michigan or Ohio state. I think Michigan is better next year than they are this year. I assume Ohio state doesn’t fall too far back.
I think Sparty is going to be a complete and utter Wild card year after year. Depends how they do in the Portal

No, I don’t.
See 2019 game plans against Iowa and Wisconsin. We punted it from Wisconsin’s 37 yard line on fourth and 2. And yet here we are, years later hoping he will change his best.
I don’t think you understand what gameplan means.
In 2019 against Iowa gophers threw 39 times for 368
Ran 30 times for 63 yards including Morgan’s 7 Carries for -23 some of which were sacks.

I think Sparty is going to be a complete and utter Wild card year after year. Depends how they do in the Portal
Agree but I think they’ll be better than this year (where I think they’re very bad)
I’m banking on them being a 6-7 win team next year.

They’re going to be a 5 win team this year even with a win they pulled out their butt against Wisconsin

Agree but I think they’ll be better than this year (where I think they’re very bad)
I’m banking on them being a 6-7 win team next year.

They’re going to be a 5 win team this year even with a win they pulled out their butt against Wisconsin
That's fair, I like our chances against them at home next year though

To make that statement, I assume you are close to the program? What did you start to notice?
I’m not close to the program. Been a diehard fan since 1960.
What I noticed was a certain unexpected level of disconnect in the BG game.
Bizzarro World Gophers in that game.
WTF?

He has won 5, 7, 11, 9, and 7 (with 2 to play)

When the previous coach won 6 and 9
And the coach before that won 3, 6, 8, 8
And the coach before that won 1, 7, 6, 3

He would be a pretty good get for any tier 2 program.
I do agree that he hasn’t done enough to land a top 10-15 type job.
He has not done enough to land a top 30 job

That's fair, I like our chances against them at home next year though
I agree

Next year there are 4 games I think we win.
There are 2 games I think we don’t win.
There are 6 games I think we win 4/6
That’s one of my 6

I would think Iowa would be my west favorite next year with probably Minnesota number 2
Can Illinois replace Devito?
Can Purdue replace their QB and charlie daniels?
Is Wisconsin back to old Wisconsin or is this the new normal?
Nebraska will be better but not good.
Northwestern might be the worst power 5 team next year if Hull transfers (they might already be)

Anyone looking to make millions of guaranteed dollars would be interested in the job. Just like Fleck himself was interested in the job.
Okay, fair enough. Would it be an upgrade/ someone we'd want? Would we pay Coach Flecks buyout as well?

Are we still paying any other Coaches in the department buyouts?

I think this is a premature discussion.

Because there is a LOT riding on the last two games of the season.

Beat Wisconsin, win the Bowl game, go 9-4, and there is a better feeling going into the off-season.
split the next two games, go 8-5, and the heat gets turned up a notch.

Lose to Wisconsin, lose the Bowl game, go 7-6, and the heat gets turned up a lot.

Now IF Fleck, for whatever reason, was open to considering other job offers, he has to go 9-4.
Unless he wants to do a Jerry Kill and take over one of the worst D1 programs, he's not getting offers for a lateral move or a move up without at least going 9-4 this season.

Top Bottom