Injuries

AlldayGoph

Reaction score
Sounds like Harbison may have suffered a knee injury. Also several posts about a potential Wells concussion. Any clarification would be appreciated.

as far as wells the discussion has been purely speculative. He took a good head shot.

From Justin Gaards post-game notes:

- There was nothing official announced on Thursday, but all signs point to a serious right knee injury for freshman receiver Jamel Harbison. His pads came off pretty quickly after team doctor Pat Smith looked at the knee. Trainers and teammates alike came over to console Harbison, who was obviously dejected after being told he wasn’t going back in. You hope for the best in this situation, but it appears to be pretty serious.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/pages/gophers.html?article=10386083#ixzz258J4yfCM

as far as wells the discussion has been purely speculative. He took a good head shot.

Not quite true. He was very, very slow to get up, and staggered a bit on his way to the sidelines. He showed, at the very least, all the classic signs of "having his bell rung," which we take far more seriously these days. Hopefully he's fine, though.

Well, at the very least, we could still redshirt Harbison after this. Silver lining.

Not quite true. He was very, very slow to get up, and staggered a bit on his way to the sidelines. He showed, at the very least, all the classic signs of "having his bell rung," which we take far more seriously these days. Hopefully he's fine, though.

It seems that Wells is just fine. In one of his quotes after the game, he cracks a joke about running back that last interception. I would think someone who was concussed would not have responded in such a logical way. Lets hope this is the case anyways, he really brings some solid energy for the D.

Well, at the very least, we could still redshirt Harbison after this. Silver lining.

Just to make it clear, since he played, we (as in the Gophers) cannot redshirt him. You would think it would be a slam dunk for a medical redshirt if it is a serious injury, but ultimately it is up to the NCAA.

Sorry about the technicality, just think some people don't understand how that works.

I think Wells turned out to be fine. Harbison on the other hand will most likely need to wait till Tuesday. Gotta be a long wait for that kid. Hoping for the best. Maybe it'll turn out to be like that time Adrian Peterson got hurt against the packers and only missed two weeks few years back. Everyone was saying ACL when it was a simple sprain.

It seems that Wells is just fine. In one of his quotes after the game, he cracks a joke about running back that last interception. I would think someone who was concussed would not have responded in such a logical way. Lets hope this is the case anyways, he really brings some solid energy for the D.

Concussed does not equal dementia. :rolleyes:

Any word on Harbison's knee yet? Minnesota sports curse strikes again. Peterson, Mbakwe, Rubio...

Even further, I think someone that was concussed, wouldn't have participated in the media session.

Just to make it clear, since he played, we (as in the Gophers) cannot redshirt him. You would think it would be a slam dunk for a medical redshirt if it is a serious injury, but ultimately it is up to the NCAA.

Sorry about the technicality, just think some people don't understand how that works.

Not positive but I am pretty sure a player can play in an early season game and still get a redshirt. I am sure someone who knows where to find it can look up the exact rule but I am pretty sure that is correct. If it is a serious injury that is a shame. The receivers looked ok in the UNLV game but it is not a position we can afford to lose depth.

Not positive but I am pretty sure a player can play in an early season game and still get a redshirt. I am sure someone who knows where to find it can look up the exact rule but I am pretty sure that is correct. If it is a serious injury that is a shame. The receivers looked ok in the UNLV game but it is not a position we can afford to lose depth.

I don't think that is the case. You play one play in one game, and you can't get a regular redshirt. But if you play less than 20% (I believe) of games, and get hurt, you can get a medical redshirt. But you have to apply for it.

I don't think that is the case. You play one play in one game, and you can't get a regular redshirt. But if you play less than 20% (I believe) of games, and get hurt, you can get a medical redshirt. But you have to apply for it.

I thought it was 30% of the games, but not sure. Gopher Warrior will eventually give us the lowdown.

The technical term is a Medical Hardship Waiver.

A redshirt can only be used on someone who has not played at all.

Determining the Medical Hardship Waiver is really just a mathematical formula. There is very little speculation involved when it comes down to this rule (it's much more speculative trying to figure out what the NCAA will do on applying for 6th years).

The rule is that a player is eligible for a Medical Hardship Waiver if they've played in a contest in the first half of the season but if they played in less than 30% of the total games. Harbison would absolutely qualify for a medical hardship waiver and he'd be a RS-FR next season.

It's official: he's out for the year.

"@GophersNow: Kill said WR Jamel Harbison is out for year with ACL injury."

Tough break for the youngster. I am assuming that he will confide in and rehab with players that went thru this same scenario and come back next year a better man.

Hopefully Jamel confides with Marcus Jones and his teammates for support throughout his rehab.

Time to show some resilience and have the next man step up! Ski-U-Mah!

!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^$@ DAMMIT!

The one positive is that he will receive a medical hardship and therefore will be able to play one more year than expected. Basically, but not technically, it is the same as if we had red shirted him this year. Therefore those of you who wanted to see him red shirted this fall you got your wish. I am not saying that is good or bad, only time will tell. The unknown in this whole thing is just how well and how long the ACL injury will take to heal.

Hopefully Jamel confides with Marcus Jones and his teammates for support throughout his rehab.

Time to show some resilience and have the next man step up! Ski-U-Mah!

Hence the need for Coach Kill's goal of building depth.

Top Bottom