In celebration of Rodney coming back next year...

GophersOnTheRise

Reaction score
I decided to make a short highlight video for him of some of his best dunks from this season. Purely for entertainment. Only watch if you enjoy watching dunks.

OK, I missed it...when did Rodney guarantee that he's coming back?

If so, great news!

I decided to make a short highlight video for him of some of his best dunks from this season. Purely for entertainment. Only watch if you enjoy watching dunks.

Lots of spectacular, yet meaningless dunks by Rodney over the past 3 years.

The planets could align for next season, though...

Sounds like someone is upset about his dinky thing. There are no meaningless dunks in bball. Great video. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

It continues to amaze me how some people believe most of his dunks come in uncontested and undefended situations.

It continues to amaze me how people consider a dunk "just two points" and think players should "just lay it in instead"

Great Job! Any chance you could make a football one of Gray or anything?

Thank you everyone, and in regards to a Gray video, if his highlights get posted on Youtube (I downloaded most of the raw footage from there), then it's a possibility. Never made a football video before, but I guess there is a first for everything.

It continues to amaze me how some people believe most of his dunks come in uncontested and undefended situations.

That's because they don't understand that people find ways to not be around the hoop when they see him slashing. No one wants to end up in these videos.

Awesome...the power and ease in his dunks is epic!

OK, I missed it...when did Rodney guarantee that he's coming back?

He could get drafted around 40 and develop in the D-League. A big year next season, and he has a guaranteed NBA contract, that seems like the better goal in my mind.

Cory Joseph got drafted 29th, which still amazes me, but it was good for his pockets.

See Andre Ingram.

+1

A dunk is just two points. Rodney's dunks are impressive because he is frequently doing them over a defender who could otherwise block a lay-up or because he is going to get an alley-oop pass and bringing it down. If it is just a player and the basket, I want the player to do whatever gives the ball the best chance of going down the hoop.

He could get drafted around 40 and develop in the D-League. A big year next season, and he has a guaranteed NBA contract, that seems like the better goal in my mind.

Cory Joseph got drafted 29th, which still amazes me, but it was good for his pockets.

I'd bet money Cory is never a NBA starter for the majority of a season. I give it a 2% chance.

___

Wally Ellenson - Damn, just watched this for the first time.

Wally Ellenson 6'5" Committed to University of Minnesota, State High Jump Champion Ranked 10th nationally at 6'11" Jump. This team is going to jump out of the gym.

See Andre Ingram.

Andre Ingram would do best to use the backboard to lay in the rest of his dunk opportunities.

That ridiculous miss right before half against Stanford sucked any of the Gophers' momentum right out of the building.

Cue the 50's basketball fan guy to make his annual point that a dunk doesn't count for more than 2 points.

+1

A dunk is just two points. Rodney's dunks are impressive because he is frequently doing them over a defender who could otherwise block a lay-up or because he is going to get an alley-oop pass and bringing it down. If it is just a player and the basket, I want the player to do whatever gives the ball the best chance of going down the hoop.

This is a statement made by people who have never dunked in a basketball game and have never played on a team with someone who could dunk. Momentum and adrenaline are valuable things in a basketball game, and that's exactly what these types of monster dunks give to your team. Andre Ingram missing dunks is a reason that Andre Ingram should lay it in, not other people. Rodney doesn't miss dunks like that, so why should he lay it in just because someone else does? I don't see the logic. Mbakwe would probably miss a lot of three pointers if he attempted them. Does that mean Andre Hollins shouldn't attempt them? That's basically the same logic.

This is a statement made by people who have never dunked in a basketball game and have never played on a team with someone who could dunk. Momentum and adrenaline are valuable things in a basketball game, and that's exactly what these types of monster dunks give to your team. Andre Ingram missing dunks is a reason that Andre Ingram should lay it in, not other people. Rodney doesn't miss dunks like that, so why should he lay it in just because someone else does? I don't see the logic. Mbakwe would probably miss a lot of three pointers if he attempted them. Does that mean Andre Hollins shouldn't attempt them? That's basically the same logic.
+1 A dunk does a lot more for the team than just give them 2 points. Anyone remember Rodney's 360 against USC? Crowd was dead, team wasn't playing with much energy. Rodney gets the ball in the open floor, boom place erupts and the crowd is pack into it.

A spectacular dunk definately energizes a team and crowd and a missed dunk definately deflates a team and crowd so both points have some validity.

I never said Rodney shouldn't dunk, I said a dunk is worth just two points. I am fine getting excited watching him dunk. I agree with you that "momentum and adrenaline are valuable", but points are more valuable. At the end of the game, they tally up the points, not the momentum or the adrenaline, and if you miss one shot that you could have made by doing something simpler, that is one too many. If players playing a team sport need to watch a dunk to get into the game, they are doing something wrong.

I never said Rodney shouldn't dunk,

That was in response to the previous poster who mentioned Andre Ingram. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I agree with you that "momentum and adrenaline are valuable", but points are more valuable. At the end of the game, they tally up the points, not the momentum or the adrenaline

Yes, they tally up the points, but momentum and adrenaline can lead to you scoring more points and getting more stops on defense. A lot of defensive lapses are due to fatigue, and a big-time dunk can give you that extra boost you need to get a defensive stop. The best cure for fatigue is adrenaline. I've experienced this myself a lot, as I'm sure anyone else who has played sports here has too.

Two sure things about the dunk/layup debate:

1) If a guy misses a dunk, most will say "all he had to do was lay it in."

2) If a guy misses a layup, most will say "why didn't he just go up and dunk it?"

Top Bottom