In celebration of Rodney coming back next year...

Two sure things about the dunk/layup debate:

1) If a guy misses a dunk, most will say "all he had to do was lay it in."

2) If a guy misses a layup, most will say "why didn't he just go up and dunk it?"

Which is why you should always shoot from behind the arc! I bet VMI doesn't have this problem!

Two sure things about the dunk/layup debate:

1) If a guy misses a dunk, most will say "all he had to do was lay it in."

2) If a guy misses a layup, most will say "why didn't he just go up and dunk it?"

Fair point. I guess my stance is that if a D1 basketball player is alone with a hoop, the ball sure as heck better find its way into the basket.

Bo Ryan at Wisconsin; 11 yrs, 11 yrs in ncaa tournament, never finished below 4th place in Big Ten.

How many of the victories are due to style points.

Bo Ryan at Wisconsin; 11 yrs, 11 yrs in ncaa tournament, never finished below 4th place in Big Ten.

Depends on what you define as style points.

If a high-flying dunk qualifies as style points, then certainly a raving, ranting, lunatic sideline madman act would classify, no?

Kentucky and Kansas are playing in the national championship. How many of the victories are due to style points? Lot more than Wisconsin.

Kentucky and Kansas are playing in the national championship. How many of the victories are due to style points? Lot more than Wisconsin.

I think there may be other reasons why UK and KU have advanced further than Wisconsin. Ya think.

Safe to say we do not recruit the same types of players or employ the same types of coaches. We don't play the same game they do, if we wanted to run the Badgers system with our guys it would be like watching the stanford game on repeat for the whole year, not something I'm interested in.

All of this is just hyperbole, comparing apples to oranges...

Dunking the ball, if you can, is easier than shooting a layup, plain and simple. If you miss a dunk it can kill a team's momentum and drain precious energy out of the building. If you make a spectacular dunk it can have the reverse effect.

At the end of the day its how many points you had vs how many points they had. Get as many as you can, and for my money, with as many dunks as possible. Puts butts in the stands, makes high kids excited about watching the team and creates a much more fun environment.

JUST DUNK THE DAMN BALL!

I think there may be other reasons why UK and KU have advanced further than Wisconsin. Ya think.

Ha I know, although I do think that a lack of athleticism is a big part of the reason why Wisconsin struggles to take that next step and compete for Final Fours even thought they're one of the better teams year in and year out. Obviously a game isn't determined by style points, I never claimed that. I just think a nice dunk here and there can give your team a nice, temporary boost, which can be helpful in close games. It's also pretty entertaining, which ultimately is the reason I watch sports. I'd rather watch an athletic team than an unathletic one.

1. Some of Rodney's dunks are just for show.
2. Without his athleticism, many of the alley-oop and put-back dunks would not have been possible.
3. Some times, defenders get out of the way of him because of his athletic ability. Other less-athletic players would have been contested, blocked or fouled in those situations.

1. Some of Rodney's dunks are just for show.
2. Without his athleticism, many of the alley-oop and put-back dunks would not have been possible.
3. Some times, defenders get out of the way of him because of his athletic ability. Other less-athletic players would have been contested, blocked or fouled in those situations.

Exactly. Sums it up pretty well. I don't think anyone claimed this in this thread, so I'm not calling anyone out here, but it boggles my mind that some people think dunks are comletely unnecessary. Yes, sometimes it's for show, but like you said, some points simply wouldn't be scored if the player doesn't elevate high enough and go up strong enough to throw it down. Indisputable fact.

Exactly. Sums it up pretty well. I don't think anyone claimed this in this thread, so I'm not calling anyone out here, but it boggles my mind that some people think dunks are comletely unnecessary. Yes, sometimes it's for show, but like you said, some points simply wouldn't be scored if the player doesn't elevate high enough and go up strong enough to throw it down. Indisputable fact.

+1

Top Bottom