Important trivia question

Again, a list that includes all of the best coaches in the league.

It includes virtually every great coach in the history of the Big 10.

And if you analyze it, all of those coaches were positioned to succeed in the Big 10 because of their experience and connections. So maybe that's worth considering.

OK. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge in regards to the Big 10's most heralded coaches, with which you have concocted a seemingly fool-proof formula. Employ the formula. Who is our next coach?

He can't because he knows if he names someone we will point all the holes in his suggestion.

OK. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge in regards to the Big 10's most heralded coaches, with which you have concocted a seemingly fool-proof formula. Employ the formula. Who is our next coach?

That's Maturi's job. I'm just saying to consider what has worked in the past at the highest level.

I mean there are people around the midwest that would have some good answers to that question..... I would hope Maturi could get in touch with them, but I'm not so sure I could............

I'm just saying to consider what has worked in the past at the highest level.

Oh, you mean hiring coaches from virtually every different background? And having those coaches succeed or fail despite their variety of backgrounds?

You're really giving some valuable insight, Ballwacker.

Oh, you mean hiring coaches from virtually every different background? And having those coaches succeed or fail despite their variety of backgrounds?

You're really giving some valuable insight, Ballwacker.

ALL OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE BIG 10 TODAY, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERY LEGENDARY COACH IN BIG 10 HISTORY, COACHED IN THE MIDWEST FOR GOOD PROGRAMS BEFORE BECOMING A HC.

They all had very similar backgrounds.

ALL OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE BIG 10 TODAY, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERY LEGENDARY COACH IN BIG 10 HISTORY, COACHED IN THE MIDWEST FOR GOOD PROGRAMS BEFORE BECOMING A HC.

Which "good" team did Fitzgerald coach for? The 2000 squad that set a blistering 8-4 pace? Or perhaps the 2005 squad that set the NCAA ablaze with its 7-5 mark?

Joe Paterno - has coached in PA his entire career. Last I checked, PA is not in the Midwest.

Hayden Fry - coached in TX and AR previous to Iowa. Again, those are not in the Midwest.

Murray Warmath - TN, MS, NY. None in the Midwest.

Bernie Bierman - MT, LA, MS. None in the Midwest.

Gary Barnett - CO. Not in the Midwest.

I could keep going for quite some time, but I'll just summarize by saying "You are a dumbass."

They all had very similar backgrounds.

This statement is so stupid and ill-founded, I don't even know where to begin.

Dpodoll68, your head must be shaped just like the tip of a big, giant penis.. because you can't write a single post without sounding like an enormous d*ckhead.

Dpodoll68, your head must be shaped just like the tip of a big, giant penis.. because you can't write a single post without sounding like an enormous d*ckhead.

Nice contribution.

I can't help it that I'm smarter than most people (present company definitely included).

Pennsylvania is in Pennsylvania. Paterno knew his area, clearly, which is the whole point. Don't call someone a dumbass if you can't understand that.

So my list certainly includes Paterno, and it's a hell of a lot better than yours.

Pennsylvania is in Pennsylvania. Paterno knew his area, clearly, which is the whole point. Don't call someone a dumbass if you can't understand that.

So my list certainly includes Paterno, and it's a hell of a lot better than yours.

So what would happen if we hired someone from Penn State's staff? They would "know" the Big Ten but not the Midwest.

Come on, Wackerball. Go on and make a venture about who it should be. You've spent most of the day spewing the same crap over and over about how it should be someone with ties to the region and conference. Throw out some names. You've had plenty of time to think about them.

The reality is that the prerequisite for this job opening should be BCS Head Coaching experience. So if you can think of one person who fits that category as well as your all-important requirement, do please share with us unwashed masses.

Pennsylvania is in Pennsylvania. Paterno knew his area, clearly, which is the whole point.

No, your point was:

"ALL OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE BIG 10 TODAY, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERY LEGENDARY COACH IN BIG 10 HISTORY, COACHED IN THE MIDWEST FOR GOOD PROGRAMS BEFORE BECOMING A HC."

Which is clearly, and demonstrably, false.

Don't call someone a dumbass if you can't understand that.

I understand perfectly. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. And when proven wrong, repeatedly, by multiple posters, you don't acknowledge it, but rather veer off in a different tangent in a foolhardy attempt to have some sort of point.

How does it include Paterno? He's never coached for a Midwest institution in his life.

There is no list. That's the whole point.

You continue to not get it.

So what would happen if we hired someone from Penn State's staff? They would "know" the Big Ten but not the Midwest.

Where does Penn State recruit? Can Minnesota recruit there? That would be the important question.

You would think respected coaches at strong midwestern programs would have connections in the area UM should best be able to recruit, which is why that's what I've been arguing for.

No, your point was:

How does it include Paterno? He's never coached for a Midwest institution in his life.

There is no list. That's the whole point.

You continue to not get it.

No. You don't get it.

The "MIDWEST" thing is because 10 of the 11 institutions are located in the midwest. All of the coaches I listed had experience in the midwest. They knew the area they were competing in.

Paterno had experience in PENNSYLVANIA before working at PENN STATE. While not in the midwest, it is the exact same principle.

Let me ask you this. Who is the best Big 10 coach of the last 50 years who doesn't fit this profile?

Yeah, you could pick a Big 10 assistant or midwest D2 coach and he could suck. Still think your chances are better than Rich Rod 2 or Zook 2. Where's the historic success with that type of hire?

It's common sense. HIRE A GUY WHO KNOWS THE TERRAIN YOU EXPECT HIM TO NAVIGATE.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about or have a point. Ron Zook was a DB Coach for Ohio State and then left for Florida to be the DC/DB Coach.

Would Tressel, who previously coached at OSU and Youngstown St in Ohio?

Ferentz? He was Iowa's OL coach for nearly a decade.

Dantonio, who had worked at Ohio, Purdue, Ohio St, Akron, MSU and Cincy?

Bielema, who had been at Iowa and Wis?

Fitzgerald's done a great job with NW's limitations, he had been LB coach at NW before being hired.

ZOOK AND RODRIGUEZ WERE THE "SPLASH" HIRES, AND THEY ARE NOT ON THIS LIST

Why does Tressel's time at Ohio State count but Zook's time at OSU doesn't count?

Wow. Lots of stupid in this thread.

I'd be willing to bet 90% of Big Ten coaches that have been hired in the last 50 years have Big Ten ties. In fact, of the 11 head coaches that started the season 10 of the 11 were previously an assistant at a Big Ten school (assuming we're calling PSU a Big Ten school even though it wasn't when Paterno was an assistant). The only one that wasn't was a head coach at school in an adjacent state (West Virginia).

By cherry picking successful hires when 90%+ of the hires overall have Big Ten experience you're assuring that your "formula" intersects with successful coaching hires. When you alter your criteria to include coaches coming from the MAC because the geography overlaps you are probably including over 95% of the coaching hires.

I'd be more impressed if you could come up with a long list of coaching hires that didn't have Big Ten ties and examined the success level of those hires. The only ones I can think of in the last 20 years that didn't fit that criteria are Jim Wacker, Gary Barnett and Rich Rodriguez. Wacker was a failure, Barnett had 2 Rose Bowls and RRod's tenure has started out rocky but it isn't over yet so he could still turn it around.

Wow. Lots of stupid in this thread.

I'd be willing to bet 90% of Big Ten coaches that have been hired in the last 50 years have Big Ten ties. In fact, of the 11 head coaches that started the season 10 of the 11 were previously an assistant at a Big Ten school (assuming we're calling PSU a Big Ten school even though it wasn't when Paterno was an assistant). The only one that wasn't was a head coach at school in an adjacent state (West Virginia).

By cherry picking successful hires when 90%+ of the hires overall have Big Ten experience you're assuring that your "formula" intersects with successful coaching hires. When you alter your criteria to include coaches coming from the MAC because the geography overlaps you are probably including over 95% of the coaching hires.

I'd be more impressed if you could come up with a long list of coaching hires that didn't have Big Ten ties and examined the success level of those hires. The only ones I can think of in the last 20 years that didn't fit that criteria are Jim Wacker, Gary Barnett and Rich Rodriguez. Wacker was a failure, Barnett had 2 Rose Bowls and RRod's tenure has started out rocky but it isn't over yet so he could still turn it around.

Don't waste your time with him. I've pointed out all the holes in his argument and he won't shut up.

Wackerball: ... correlation isn't causation...

I love the new terminology in today's college kids. As an old timer...correlation is beer in the fridge. Causation is drinking that beer. I prefer plenty of correlation to cover lots of causation.

Top Bottom