Important trivia question

Hayden Fry never set foot in Iowa before becoming the head coach there. Woody Hayes?

Hayden Fry is the answer I was looking for. He is the best exception I can think of in modern history. He doesn't hold up that well against some of the other examples I've presented, either, but the main point is he's one guy against a pretty impressive group of names.

Again, Woody Hayes was hired from Miami of OHIO. He previously worked at Dennison, in OHIO. There's no doubt that he knew the landscape.

Penn State was an independent moron. Your quote:All of them worked as assistants for Big 10 teams before getting the HC job. Not one of them was a "splash" hire from a different part of the country. They all had experience and connections in the region.

By the way Mike Leach coached at Iowa Wesleyan for 3 years.

Penn State was an independent moron. Your quote:All of them worked as assistants for Big 10 teams before getting the HC job. Not one of them was a "splash" hire from a different part of the country. They all had experience and connections in the region.

Well you nailed me on that technicality gloved. Great job. Tell me, did Paterno know Pennsylvania pretty well after working as an assistant at PSU for a decade and a half?

Well you nailed me on that technicality gloved. Great job. Tell me, did Paterno know Pennsylvania pretty well after working as an assistant at PSU for a decade and a half?

I don't know are you trying to say every Head Coach in the county needs to have previous experience in the region they coach in?

I maintain that most of those coaches listed benefited from factors external to where they came from before they became head coach. I'd agrue that one cannot attribute their success solely, or even mainly, to their previous coaching locations.

I don't know are you trying to say every Head Coach in the county needs to have previous experience in the region they coach in?

Sure helps, unless your name and personal charisma are so magnetic that the recruits flock to you regardless.

Let's face it, you have 4-5 years to build a winner in this day and age. Hard to build local connections from scratch.

You can't talk about building a program in 'this day and age' and still include Alvarez, Paterno, and Schembechler.

Wackerball- Great information. I would have never known any of that and it saved me the time of looking any of it up. I agree that the person needs some midwest/big ten ties, but not MN ties. I like Bellotti, but I'm confused why he isn't coaching now. I want someone committed.

Sure helps, unless your name and personal charisma are so magnetic that the recruits flock to you regardless.

Let's face it, you have 4-5 years to build a winner in this day and age. Hard to build local connections from scratch.

Well of course it helps but it is far from required. Urban Meyer didn't have ties to Florida and is not vary charismatic. He can coach and that is why recruits flock to Florida.

Quick, name the five best coaches in the Big 10.

Ruralgopher is pointing out that Alvarez, Paterno, and Schembechler didn't build programs in 'this day and age. Paterno would not be in my list of the 5 best present head coaches.

Ruralgopher is pointing out that Alvarez, Paterno, and Schembechler didn't build programs in 'this day and age. Paterno would not be in my list of the 5 best present head coaches.

Would Tressel, who previously coached at OSU and Youngstown St in Ohio?

Ferentz? He was Iowa's OL coach for nearly a decade.

Dantonio, who had worked at Ohio, Purdue, Ohio St, Akron, MSU and Cincy?

Bielema, who had been at Iowa and Wis?

Fitzgerald's done a great job with NW's limitations, he had been LB coach at NW before being hired.

ZOOK AND RODRIGUEZ WERE THE "SPLASH" HIRES, AND THEY ARE NOT ON THIS LIST

That's great but you can't say it is because they all had Big Tens ties. There are so many other factors at play.

the college football landscape has changed and if we use 30 yr old hiring standards we stand to get bit the way we did when trying to copy 1992 UW.
Forward think this one or prepare for failure.

That's great but you can't say it is because they all had Big Tens ties. There are so many other factors at play.

OK. That's fair, correlation isn't causation.

That being said, find another factor that correlates so well with so many great Big 10 coaches.

Doesn't it make sense? A smart, experienced guy who knows his terrain and knows the competition is going to beat the bigger name who doesn't, unless the bigger name is just THAT good or THAT appealing to recruits. Most guys like THAT, already have jobs.

Would Tressel, who previously coached at OSU and Youngstown St in Ohio?

Ferentz? He was Iowa's OL coach for nearly a decade.

Dantonio, who had worked at Ohio, Purdue, Ohio St, Akron, MSU and Cincy?

Bielema, who had been at Iowa and Wis?

Fitzgerald's done a great job with NW's limitations, he had been LB coach at NW before being hired.

ZOOK AND RODRIGUEZ WERE THE "SPLASH" HIRES, AND THEY ARE NOT ON THIS LIST

You do know that Zook coached at Cincy, Kansas and Ohio St, right?

Can you explain why Gary Barnett was able to reach the Rose Bowl without ties to Northwestern?

That being said, find another factor that correlates so well with so many great Big 10 coaches.

Previous coach's winning percentage at the school:

Ferentz(.606) : Hayden Fry(.616)
Tressel(.821) : John Cooper(.721)
Bielema(.750) : Barry Alvarez(.618)
Carr(.753) : Gary Moeller(.772)
Paterno(.751) : Rip Engle(.684)

Obviously you can eff up the hire (see: Rodriguez, Rich), and you can bring yourself out of the doldrums with the right hire (see: Dantonio, Mark), but for the most part, the guys you listed took over programs that were already doing well and continued to steer the ship in the same direction.

Can you explain why Gary Barnett was able to reach the Rose Bowl without ties to Northwestern?

OK, hold out for a Fry or a Barnett. They represent the gold standard, not Paterno, not Hayes, not Tressel, not Schembechler, not Carr, not Alvarez. Not the litany of other coaches I could cite.

There are no guarantees! You can learn from history and still fail! Does that mean you shouldn't study history?

Previous coach's winning percentage at the school:

Ferentz(.606) : Hayden Fry(.616)
Tressel(.821) : John Cooper(.721)
Bielema(.750) : Barry Alvarez(.618)
Carr(.753) : Gary Moeller(.772)
Paterno(.751) : Rip Engle(.684)

Obviously you can eff up the hire (see: Rodriguez, Rich), and you can bring yourself out of the doldrums with the right hire (see: Dantonio, Mark), but for the most part, the guys you listed took over programs that were already doing well and continued to steer the ship in the same direction.

What does it tell you that the greatest programs in the Big 10 follow this formula consistently? And that when they don't (Rich Rod), they fall on their face?

It tells me that they're not in the position we're in, and haven't been for decades? Our search is different than a search to find a replacement at an Ohio State or Michigan. We don't have something recent to build on.

OK, hold out for a Fry or a Barnett. They represent the gold standard, not Paterno, not Hayes, not Tressel, not Schembechler, not Carr, not Alvarez. Not the litany of other coaches I could cite.

There are no guarantees! You can learn from history and still fail! Does that mean you shouldn't study history?

So no you can't explain it than.

It tells me that they're not in the position we're in, and haven't been for decades? Our search is different than a search to find a replacement at an Ohio State or Michigan. We don't have something recent to build on.

And this has nothing to do with the people OSU and Michigan have chosen to hire over the years?

My point is that guys who stepped into successful programs and maintained success have no bearing on what we need, which is someone to raise a program from ashes.

Golden has a (brief) history of that at a lower level.

Leach has a prolonged history of that at a similar level, with inherent limitations.

Top Bottom