I'm gonna say 20 wins for a tournament invite

Thanks. I miscounted and saw 4. I really think the Gophers can go 4-1 against those teams. That is a huge help when trying to get to 10+ wins.
Penn State and Nebraska are bad. Northwestern is on the bubble so far, so it might be a mistake to lump them in with the other two.

I believe you did ask a sincere question. In all seriousness....I think it will be difficult for the Gophers to make the tournament. They need to get to at least 9 B1G wins. That will be difficult. They also need Michigan, Mississippi State, WKU and other teams we have played to do well. They lack depth and size and in the B1G those are things you need.

Regardless....I’m excited for the future. One thing people aren’t talking about....I’m not sure they will be better next season than they are this year....even though we will be gaining some much needed younger talent. Replacing Willis, Loewe, Stephens and Sutherlin isn’t going to be as easy as we might think. they have experience and know how to play basketball. When they are gone....I’m going to miss watching them play.

On a side note....I appreciate you being more positive. I know you are a huge Gopher fan and if i came across as questioning your loyalties I apologize. I guess I felt the negativity from many posters wasn’t fair to Coach Johnson and wasn’t respectful to the players who made the decision to take the risk and come and play for the U. I can also understand your frustration if you felt the hire wasn’t the correct choice.
It's going to be tough down the stretch in mid February and March, with the lack of depth it's pretty tough to play at their highest level for that long. Anybody that has ever run Marathon's knows you have a 10-12 week period to build up and exert at maximum effort level, after that you either take a break, don't exert yourself at the highest level, or get injured. Playing nearly 40 minutes a game will have an impact.

Penn State and Nebraska are bad. Northwestern is on the bubble so far, so it might be a mistake to lump them in with the other two.
I think northwestern sucks from what I’ve seen. I could be wrong though.

Updated the original post with the UTAMCC win.

I think 20 wins will be tough, but we'll see how it goes.
I don't know if we know how good this team is yet. A few more Big Ten games should tell us if the talent is there to beat Big Ten teams with some regularity.

I wish people would make it clear if they are going off résumés or projections. This must be a mix of both, otherwise there are some real head scratchers.
Lunardi has been doing this for god knows how long. thing he is beyond explaining his methodology in a tweet at this point

Nice post Menno! This is still pre-Xmas. Plenty of time for the Gophers to be exposed for lack of talent.
So far, it appears they won’t be exposed for bad play. Which is refreshing! Here is to their continued success. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!
February is for predictions on the post season. Wait to open your presents.
I mean you don't have to read it...

Too early to say....but I'd probably agree with this. Think 9-11 along with two Big Ten tournament wins would get us in. One and it's a sweat on selection sunday.

We already have a few good wins built up. Michigan and Mississippi State are both likely to make the tournament. Both true road games. Princeton is a solid team and has a decent shot to win the Ivy League. Western Kentucky is another good team who could potentially win the C-USA. Did anyone see that they absolutely dismantled Ole Miss 71-48?
And the announcers on Tuesdays game indicated that TAMUCC should contend for the Southland Conference title

Updated the original post with the UTAMCC win.

I think 20 wins will be tough, but we'll see how it goes.
I don't know if we know how good this team is yet. A few more Big Ten games should tell us if the talent is there to beat Big Ten teams with some regularity.
The bar has been raised due to BJ's coaching and the level of play that the guys have shown thus far.
There is more talent on this squad than anticipated.

The BIG is a tough gig and full of very good players and coaches who will expose weakness's. But I think we are capable in that area as well.

This team has some warts but far fewer than most of us anticipated. Making the tourney? I think that is a stretch at this point. But stay tuned!!!

If we make the tourney Ben is National Coach of the Year! And as it is laid out..it almost seems possible. Lots of things need to fall in place for it to happen.

I maintain what I said in the other thread about 19-12 getting us in. 19-11 with a win in tht B1G tournament and we probably avoid Dayton at that point.

With that said, with the way things are going, I'd be surprised if we got our games in. Shit sucks.

I maintain what I said in the other thread about 19-12 getting us in. 19-11 with a win in tht B1G tournament and we probably avoid Dayton at that point.

With that said, with the way things are going, I'd be surprised if we got our games in. Shit sucks.

I agree.
19 wins with a BTT or as I'm saying, win 20 and don't worry about the BTT.

I don't think they make the tournament myself, but we can track it as we go. This team looks like it's well on a pace to exceed my expectations.

Na, we'll be fine. Thank Christ college football/hoops aren't pointlessly testing healthy athletes all the time.

Normally Selection Sunday does this, but in absence of a thread, I'll stick my neck out a bit.

Generally around a 0.500 Big Ten record gets you in. Last year two teams with 9-11 records got in. I think the Big Ten was viewed as strong and deeper last year, but it's not a slouch this year with the strongest conference RPI. From what I see from the Gophers NET and RPI so far.

Gophers currently at 8-1 /1-1 in Big Ten. With 21 games left, I think we need 12 more wins and we'd be safe going into the BTT.

Easiest 7 (need 7 wins)
December 14, 2021 (Tuesday) Home Texas A&M - Corpus Christi - Won

December 22, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Green Bay
December 29, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Alcorn State
January 22, 2022 (Saturday) Home Rutgers
February 9, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Nebraska
February 12, 2022 (Saturday) Home Penn State
March 2, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Maryland

Middle 7 (need 5 with no steals)
January 9, 2022 (Sunday) Away Indiana
January 16, 2022 (Sunday) Home Iowa
January 19, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Penn State
February 6, 2022 (Sunday) Away Iowa
February 19, 2022 (Saturday) Home Northwestern
February 27, 2022 (Sunday) Home Indiana
March 6, 2022 (Sunday) Away Northwestern

Opportunities to steal (Need zero, opportunities to steal)
January 2, 2022 (Sunday) Home Illinois
January 12, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Michigan State
January 27, 2022 (Thursday) Home Ohio State
January 30, 2022 (Sunday) Away Wisconsin
February 2, 2022 (Wednesday) Home Purdue
February 15, 2022 (Tuesday) Away Ohio State
February 23, 2022 (Wednesday) Home Wisconsin

I don't know each of these teams well enough to say what appears easy will be easy or what appears tough will be tough in March, but from this, the Gophers would need to win 5 more road games or steal some at home against WI, Purdue, OSU, etc.

I decided to do this by month as well. I'm using grey font for games we need to win. Yellow for the 5 wins needed out of 7. Red/maroon for the games we would be stealing a win to get to 20. (

December (Need to go 3-0 to have 11 wins end of 2021)

December 22, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Green Bay (Win 10 of 20)

January. Tough schedule. (Need 3 wins to be at 14 wins)
January 2, 2022 (Sunday) Home Illinois - L
January 9, 2022 (Sunday) Away Indiana - L
January 12, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Michigan State - L

February (Need 5 wins to get to 19 total by end of February)

March (need 1 win)

Last edited:

7-5 and best win is Nebraska?

I think they have too much talent to suck but they are overrated in the minds of some
Wouldn’t be the first really talented team to struggle through a season.

Struggle through a season is very different than “suck” to me
Well they are 7-5 with no impressive wins and some not good losses.

You’re looking at the name, not the results. If Penn State had their resume you’d think they suck.

Well they are 7-5 with no impressive wins and some not good losses.

You’re looking at the name, not the results. If Penn State had their resume you’d think they suck.
I don’t really think anyone in the big ten sucks apart from maybe Nebraska but even they don’t have a really bad loss

Updated.

Was really hoping to steal this one. Such a bummer.
Good news, we are done playing MSU and Illinois until BTT.

Normally Selection Sunday does this, but in absence of a thread, I'll stick my neck out a bit.

Generally around a 0.500 Big Ten record gets you in. Last year two teams with 9-11 records got in. I think the Big Ten was viewed as strong and deeper last year, but it's not a slouch this year with the strongest conference RPI. From what I see from the Gophers NET and RPI so far.

Gophers currently at 8-1 /1-1 in Big Ten. With 21 games left, I think we need 12 more wins and we'd be safe going into the BTT.

Easiest 7 (need 7 wins)

December 22, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Green Bay

Middle 7 (need 5 with no steals)
January 9, 2022 (Sunday) Away Indiana

Opportunities to steal (Need zero, opportunities to steal)
January 2, 2022 (Sunday) Home Illinois
January 12, 2022 (Wednesday) Away Michigan State

I don't know each of these teams well enough to say what appears easy will be easy or what appears tough will be tough in March, but from this, the Gophers would need to win 5 more road games or steal some at home against WI, Purdue, OSU, etc.
I think we beat Sconny once this season and if we're at full strength we can beat OSU on Thursday (excluding Ramberger and his broken paw).

Top Bottom