I'm absolutely shocked at some of the reactions here

There is a DIRECT correlation between recruiting rankings and victories between MN, IA, and WI the past 10 years. Talent wins almost every time. Forget this nonsense about Ferentz winning with average players. Thats is crazy. Iowa out recruited Mason every single season he was here. So did Wisconsin. We were last between these three teams every single year. And people wonder why we sucked.

Look at this Iowa team now. They average 22.5 years of age on the OL and all of the players except Bulaga were redsirted. Two years ago when they were sophomores, they sucked. Yet, posters here want to hold Brewster accountable for true sophomores and redshirt freshmen not playing well. Duh.

Changing coaches again is dumb and short-sighted. Who do you think is going to take this job? An A.D. that won't even let you lose with the players you recruited. A fan base that expects 40 years of failure to be corrected in 2.5 years or goodbye? The past two years Brewster has beat Iowa and Wisconsin in recruiting rankings. 4 years of good classes, if history repeats itself like it usually does, means MN will outperform WI and IA. Of course unless impatient trigger happy dolts intercede.

coach

lets get Lou Holtz back, he turned the program in a flash. The last 'real' bowl we've been to

So what flavor is your Koolaid?

I guess I would expect to be ripped on for being a Koolaid drinker from an iowegian or a wisky fan, but not from a fellow Gopher fan. What I want to know is what's so wrong with me being a koolaid drinking homer? I've said this before on here, I love my team, I love my state, and I HATE wisconsin. It makes no sense to me that my fellow fans would rip me because I have hope that my team will someday head to the rose bowl. Say what you want, but if you were a true fan you wouldn't rip me for being behind the coaches decisions (he's IS the coach) and wanting to watch my team play every week. Even when they get blown out (see Saturday) I'm still looking forward to campus next Saturday and will be in the stands till it's over. Why do people rip that?

I guess I would expect to be ripped on for being a Koolaid drinker from an iowegian or a wisky fan, but not from a fellow Gopher fan. What I want to know is what's so wrong with me being a koolaid drinking homer? I've said this before on here, I love my team, I love my state, and I HATE wisconsin. It makes no sense to me that my fellow fans would rip me because I have hope that my team will someday head to the rose bowl. Say what you want, but if you were a true fan you wouldn't rip me for being behind the coaches decisions (he's IS the coach) and wanting to watch my team play every week. Even when they get blown out (see Saturday) I'm still looking forward to campus next Saturday and will be in the stands till it's over. Why do people rip that?

There's a difference between a Fan & a Blind Fan........

I support Brewster but he deserves some of the criticism he's receiving........

"The past two years Brewster has beat Iowa and Wisconsin in recruiting rankings."

For the record, I'm not in the "fire Brew" camp, it's too early for that nonsense. But to the above statement I would respectfully ask,

"Who's winning on the football field"?

The Gophers have zero wins against their chief rivals in 2+ years, including an embarrassing 55-0 drubbing. That's what would trouble me the most as a Gopher fan.

Am hoping like heck Iowa is 11-0 going into the Gopher game. What more could the Gopher program ask for? A chance to knock off one of your chief rivals when they have everything on the line, while at the same time it offers a golden opportunity for Brew's first signature win. And it's not like Iowa is a team that's going to blow you out (see UNI, Arkansas State, MSU, etc.). I would expect the Gophers to compete their tails off in Iowa City.

There's a difference between a Fan & a Blind Fan........

I support Brewster but he deserves some of the criticism he's receiving........

Answer the question. Why does it bother you that I'm a homer? I could also argue that there's a difference between a true fan and a fair weather fan.

Outside of one down year Iowa has actually recruited very well. Wiscy did until recently. Things are finishing up pretty much where they should. Iowa is out performing their talent, Illionis underperforming. Otherwise no suprises.

I just have a hard time with people bashing the team after we lose games we were expected to lose. It's like they expect it to be all pretty. Losing is almost always ugly. Especially with such a large talent disparity. Brews done pretty much what was expected. Lost to the heavily favored teams. Won against the teams we were heavily favored against. Lost one we were slightly favored in, and won won we were slight underdogs in.

I just have a hard time reconciling the stupidity I see on these boards after getting beat by PSU and OSU on the road. It's very disturbing that my fellow gopher holers are so ignorant.

I can't wait for the meltdown next week after the team that was suppose to finish third or fourth in the Big Ten does what they'll probably do and we're a likely 4-5.

While I agree the roster was deeply flawed no one is arguing that the team was a "gimme to be amazing next year". That's a blatantly dishonest representation of the arguments you're opposing here.

But neither you nor eagle have any comments for my first 2 points? Is that because those are spot on or because they just aren't worth your precious time. The only point you have an argument for is the one where I got a little over zealous? And with your comments about the roster being deeply flawed what should our record have been all knowing Khaliq?:rolleyes:

"The past two years Brewster has beat Iowa and Wisconsin in recruiting rankings."

For the record, I'm not in the "fire Brew" camp, it's too early for that nonsense. But to the above statement I would respectfully ask,

"Who's winning on the football field"?

That's the whole point, SS. No one's saying we're better than either team right now. What he's saying is, if history holds true, we should be able to beat those two teams more often than not when these recruiting classes are our juniors and seniors 2-4 years from now. You're missing the point by playing devil's advocate for the Hogeyes and Fadgers.

Put down the pipe dude. Mason left the cupboard completely empty. I've never seen ANY NCAA team that devoid of talent. Even Mason knew damn well they were in trouble which is why he had frantically scoured the Juco ranks and had 7 (?) coming in for 2007, many of whom were expected to start immediately. Once the coaching change happened we lost all those players so not only were expected starters lost but a lot of depth as well. Then we lost our best defender and starting CB in Dom Jones, the other probable starter at CB in Keith Massey, plus Alex Daniels who was expected to see time at DE along with EJ Jones (? The RB) who would have seen the field all to a sexual assault case. Oh, and Robert McField was arrested for armed robbery (Nice work vetting the kid Mason. The frickin charge was PENDING when he was recruited!). Oh, and we also started a Freshman QB. Oh yeah, then our starting RB was injured for most of the year. Vince Lombardi couldn't have coached 3 wins out of those mules. We lost to North Dakota St not because we were outcoached, but because laughably we were outclassed in the talent department.

+1

I just have a hard time with people bashing the team after we lose games we were expected to lose. I just have a hard time reconciling the stupidity I see on these boards after getting beat by PSU and OSU on the road. It's very disturbing that my fellow gopher holers are so ignorant.
QUOTE]

Maybe it's becuase your "stupid" (your term, not mine) fellow gopher holers have read this thread...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10160

So then let's compare 3rd years to 3rd years...or is that unfair?

Let's compare Brewster's third year to Mason's fourth year. Or is that unfair? Mason regressed slightly to 6-6/4-4. After beating OSU (that "signature win that everybody here wants), we gave up 51 points to Indiana, 41 to Northwestern and 41 to Wisconsin in three consecutive losses. Then, in Mason's fifth year we regressed further, going 4-7/2-6. If you're looking for specific records or victories on a specific timetable that's fine, but they're unlikely to prove too much. You're still working with a lot of players left over from the previous regime.

By the way, Mason was 8-4/5-3 in his third season. Brewster can accomplish that, although it's unlikely. But this is a big weekend for Brewster. Win this one and the next two, which should be expected, and we finish 7-5/4-4. Not too far off from your guy Mason in year three, basically identical to year four and far better than year five. And, yes ... with a better defense.

"No one's saying we're better than either team right now."

Fair enough. But certainly in Wisconsin's case, I seem to remember most everyone before the season expecting the Gophers to beat Wisconsin, myself included. Iowa, not so much, and that's panning out so far with the season the Hawkeyes are having.

Let's compare Brewster's third year to Mason's fourth year. Or is that unfair? Mason regressed slightly to 6-6/4-4. After beating OSU (that "signature win that everybody here wants), we gave up 51 points to Indiana, 41 to Northwestern and 41 to Wisconsin in three consecutive losses. Then, in Mason's fifth year we regressed further, going 4-7/2-6. If you're looking for specific records or victories on a specific timetable that's fine, but they're unlikely to prove too much. You're still working with a lot of players left over from the previous regime.

By the way, Mason was 8-4/5-3 in his third season. Brewster can accomplish that, although it's unlikely. But this is a big weekend for Brewster. Win this one and the next two, which should be expected, and we finish 7-5/4-4. Not too far off from your guy Mason in year three, basically identical to year four and far better than year five. And, yes ... with a better defense.

In Mason's 3rd Year he didn't lose to Ohio State by 35 points either...if I remember it was a 3pt loss.......

+1
And adding to that a tougher schedule than Mason ever had.

I just have a hard time with people bashing the team after we lose games we were expected to lose. I just have a hard time reconciling the stupidity I see on these boards after getting beat by PSU and OSU on the road. It's very disturbing that my fellow gopher holers are so ignorant.
QUOTE]

Maybe it's becuase your "stupid" (your term, not mine) fellow gopher holers have read this thread...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10160

Or maybe it's because they are over reacting. Maybe it's because they aren't seeing anything anybody else is seeing but can't use any semblance of perspective in analyzing. Maybe it's because we're doing pretty much what was expected and while frustration should follow when we don't live up to hope, certainly team bashing and coach firing rants shouldn't. Maybe it's because anybody with a brain knows that what Brewster brings to the table more than our competition is his recruiting ability and those recruits aren't mature enough as college athletes to make a deciding impact yet. Maybe it's because I'm just tired of people acting like spoiled little kids who didn't get the toy everytime we lose to a team that is better than us.

Good lord what have I created!?:cry:

I'm truly regretting starting this thread, really, my apologies to the board.

Or maybe it's because they are over reacting. Maybe it's because they aren't seeing anything anybody else is seeing but can't use any semblance of perspective in analyzing. Maybe it's because we're doing pretty much what was expected and while frustration should follow when we don't live up to hope, certainly team bashing and coach firing rants shouldn't. Maybe it's because anybody with a brain knows that what Brewster brings to the table more than our competition is his recruiting ability and those recruits aren't mature enough as college athletes to make a deciding impact yet. Maybe it's because I'm just tired of people acting like spoiled little kids who didn't get the toy everytime we lose to a team that is better than us.

Or maybe there is just lots of grey area that is worth discussing. Not everything is love/hate, awesome/horrible, fire him/extend his contract....there is plenty of grey area to discuss. Bash away on people whining and calling names but please don't do so just becuase they have concerns about the program. And you may notice I havne't even been a part of this discussion - I was just shamelessly plugging the statistics thread! ;)

Fair enough then. I will be drinking more koolaid this weekend. I must say that is a hillarious pic of paulus, nobody can argue that.

The "Favre Treatment" they were going him during the game made this pic that much more *EPIC*...it's my Macbook's Wallpaper, lol.........

In Mason's 3rd Year he didn't lose to Ohio State by 35 points either...if I remember it was a 3pt loss.......

Not to mention he didn't win against Penn State until his third try. But hey whatever. Oh and only won 2 out of 11 trophy games his first three years, both against Iowa. And lost to Ohio State his first three years 2 of them being blowouts. was there this many people calling for his head 2.5 years into his tenure?:rolleyes:

The "Favre Treatment" they were going him during the game made this pic that much more *EPIC*...it's my Macbook's Wallpaper, lol.........

I don't blame you there. If you look close enough you can see his and the ESPN announcers' world come crashing down to reality.

Outside of one down year Iowa has actually recruited very well. Wiscy did until recently. Things are finishing up pretty much where they should. Iowa is out performing their talent, Illionis underperforming. Otherwise no suprises.

I just have a hard time with people bashing the team after we lose games we were expected to lose. It's like they expect it to be all pretty. Losing is almost always ugly. Especially with such a large talent disparity. Brews done pretty much what was expected. Lost to the heavily favored teams. Won against the teams we were heavily favored against. Lost one we were slightly favored in, and won won we were slight underdogs in.

I just have a hard time reconciling the stupidity I see on these boards after getting beat by PSU and OSU on the road. It's very disturbing that my fellow gopher holers are so ignorant.

I can't wait for the meltdown next week after the team that was suppose to finish third or fourth in the Big Ten does what they'll probably do and we're a likely 4-5.

As has been pointed out already, there's a big difference between simply losing and losing as badly and as ugly as they have. I think that's the issue here. At least it is with me.

People bash Mason around here more than they bash Bielema and Ferentz combined.

I think everyone here needs to follow Mark McGwire's advice and not talk about the past but focus on talking about the present.

People bash Mason around here more than they bash Bielema and Ferentz combined.

I think everyone here needs to follow Mark McGwire's advice and not talk about the past but focus on talking about the present.

I don't think there would be as many Mason bashers on here if it weren't for the people comparing Mason to Brew.:horse:

Correct. He waited until Year 6 to approach that kind of loss to OSU, losing 34-3 in 2002. The got shutout 44-0 in Year 10.

Sure, he had a few closer losses. I'm just saying that these kind of comparisons, looking at one specific season or a few specific opponents, are mostly pointless.

As has been pointed out already, there's a big difference between simply losing and losing as badly and as ugly as they have. I think that's the issue here. At least it is with me.

No it's a small difference. One that doesn't support the team bashing and coach firing rants.

There's a difference between spotting areas in need of improvement and sports discussion and the crap that is being spewed here by so called fans.

I thought we'd be around .500 this year. I always go into a season thinking cautiously. I thought the offense would be better though. If we finish 6-6 with an offense that has performed this poorly, I'll actually be somewhat satisfied.

Thank you hatesmonikers for posting the post-OSU upset record after Mason's signature win way back when. I don't want to dump on Mason, but I can't see why anyone would want him back. Maybe Brewster isn't the guy, but Mason clearly wasn't the guy either. He had played out his string.

Not to mention he didn't win against Penn State until his third try. But hey whatever. Oh and only won 2 out of 11 trophy games his first three years, both against Iowa. And lost to Ohio State his first three years 2 of them being blowouts. was there this many people calling for his head 2.5 years into his tenure?:rolleyes:

If that makes you feel better about 38-7 then proceed... :D

Top Bottom