I'm absolutely shocked at some of the reactions here

Again, how many of the coaches mentioned above took over a team that went bowling the year before? Who cares what crappy bowl it was, it just means the team was roughly .500 not a 1 or 2 win nightmare.

I know what you're saying but it is misleading because the 2007 team lost a lot from the 2006 team. Even the 2006 was a statistical anamoly to finish as a 6-7 team; we led DI in turnover margin and still managed to finish below .500. I challenge you to find another team that has done that.

Our 2005-2007 recruiting wasn't on par with being a bowl caliber team because of the contract situation Mason was in prior being renewed on the eve of the Music City Bowl. Even if we were a bowl team the talent assembled to carry that on was probably on par with Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern when Alvarez, Ferentz, and Barnett took over.

I know what you're saying but it is misleading because the 2007 team lost a lot from the 2006 team. Even the 2006 was a statistical anamoly to finish as a 6-7 team; we led DI in turnover margin and still managed to finish below .500. I challenge you to find another team that has done that.

Our 2005-2007 recruiting wasn't on par with being a bowl caliber team because of the contract situation Mason was in prior being renewed on the eve of the Music City Bowl. Even if we were a bowl team the talent assembled to carry that on was probably on par with Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern when Alvarez, Ferentz, and Barnett took over.

You could also say the 2006 team was a questionable Pass Interference Call away from 7 wins.......

The 2006 team was not as bad people think but they were not that good. Had Cupito finished off that last drive against Purdue that team had a shot at 8 games.......

Mason's time was up...but Maturi might've made a mistake.......

I just can't for the life of me understand how anyone could dare to say this program is going backwards. Backwards from what? It's even if anything, and with better recruiting the chances of improvement get better. It's bigger than on field records people. It's about rebuilding a program from the bottom up. That starts with recruiting, selling the program to younger fans and students, improved depth, and finally on field records. We've gotten 1-3, 4 will come, be patient.
The deal is if we indeed are 5-6,6-6, even 7-5 depending IN 2011 Brew should go. Not sooner.

Defense exponentially better? WTF are smoking?

Total Defense: 10th in the B10
Scoring Defense: 8th in the B10

How is that better?

:confused:
Do you watch football or do you read stats? It's honestly impossible to argue with people who clearly have NO understanding of the game. The reason our Defensive stats are mediocre is because the D is on the field all game long. The single thing that Mason excelled at most was Time Of Possession. Defensive statistics are also related to how long the Offense has the ball.
Now that that is out of the way I'm wondering if you watch Gopher games? Do you watch the ones that occurred in the past? Do you have any ability to make comparisons based on what you see on the field as opposed to knee jerk whining based on statistics? Have you noticed that the athletes the Gophers have on D are far faster, and much more athletic than what they fielded in the past? In my 20 years of watching Gopher football they have never had linebackers like Lawrence and Triplett. Cooper is a rising star with unbelievable potential. The Gophers could improve a bit in the D-backfield, but the loss of Brock was devastating for a team that hasn't had enough recruiting classes to build depth. Minnesota's young D-linemen look dynamic and promising. Minnesota's O-line is terrible which leads to lots of 3 and outs. Minnesota's Defensive statistics are more a function of that then how the Gophers are playing on the field.

The Gophers have a much faster, more athletic and competitive Defense than they ever had under Mason. Anyone who has ever played or closely watched Gopher football would agree with that.

All this "Screw you, go away, we don't need you" is as ridiculous as some of the bitching on the other side. This program needs every fan it can get.

All this "Screw you, go away, we don't need you" is as ridiculous as some of the bitching on the other side. This program needs every fan it can get.

Thank you...

People say things like "the fans who leave early should be ashamed" and stuff like that. Do you blame them? At least they showed up...if they didn't come at all would you really like that?

n
No, I understand Minnesota had no business winning those two games, but it's the way they looked against PSU and OSU that says a lot about Brewster's coaching style. Too many penalties, under-achieving "blue-chip" recruits and arguments with coaches. It was downright pathetic. Don't forget the troubling loss at home against the Badgers and the late-season collapse last season. His body of work is atrocious. The man is promising Rose Bowls and his teams don't even look like they belong on the same field as Penn State on Ohio State.

we looked like we belonged vs psu. it should have been 6-0 @ half and we should have recovered a fumble near our 20 and maybe we score a td maybe we kick a field goal but the game could have been a lot different...bad calls are part of the game we will get it our way soon, and by saying the bad calls deal...no I don't believe we would have beat them regardless but it would have changed the perspective a little bit to make things look better on the scoreboard!

we looked like we belonged vs psu. it should have been 6-0 @ half and we should have recovered a fumble near our 20 and maybe we score a td maybe we kick a field goal but the game could have been a lot different...bad calls are part of the game we will get it our way soon, and by saying the bad calls deal...no I don't believe we would have beat them regardless but it would have changed the perspective a little bit to make things look better on the scoreboard!

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda...we lost 20-0 and had 38 yards at the end of the 1st Half...we looked confused and helpless.......

Defense exponentially better? WTF are smoking?
lity!

fire brew...the guy can't coach...hire me I know more about football from watching it on tv then a guy who has played big time football as well as coached it...fire him now so we can start rebuilding again next year and this madness can start over....we will only give 3 years to any new coach who leads the gophs, if they don't have a big ten title and a national championship during that span they too will be fired cause they won't know what they are doing! and we will always be a horse sh*t program thanks to idiots like you and your philosophy!

I hope you can read sarcasm! brew is doing a good job...and I remember clearly how the majority of gopher fans thought our half time adjustments to equally talented teams were outstanding since we shut down a lot of teams during the 2nd half!

You make some good points. I predicted 6-6 this year and will be happy with that. Almost no one expected the Gophers to beat Cal, Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa - and Wisconsin was obviously going to be close. A new coach needs five years to see what he can do (and some, like Rich Brooks at Oregon, took a lot longer than that). Roof and Cosgrove have improved the defense and Gray and other younger players hold promise for the offense (I definitely feel Gray should be playing more - something happened to Weber this year and I can't figure it out). Scheduling didn't have to be this tough this early, and Brew is a rookie coach, so he's learning the hard way, but this is no time to bail out. If the Gophers can win at home against Illinois and SD State, they make 6-6 and a bowl with a tough schedule. If they pull a Halloween surprise, all the better.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda...we lost 20-0 and had 38 yards at the end of the 1st Half...we looked confused and helpless.......

so the offense looked bad and the defense looked very tough....your right we don't belong on the field with psu-put your anger aside and look big picture...your for sure a glass is half empty guy-i bet life is fun with that attitude!

I'm a glass half full, but more important I never thought we were talented enough to dominate th big ten and make the rose bowl like you and your moronic homeboys!

I doubt anyone who cares about Gopher football so much they post or read a message board is going to not be a fan anymore because someone tells them to "go away."

It would be hilarious if that actually happened, though. I mean, can you actually imagine someone who would do this?

Timmy: "Johnny, why didn't you get season tickets this year?"
Johnny: "Well Timmy, Gopherfan1234 told me one of my opinions on Gopherhole was wrong and told me to go away. It really hurt my feelings and I don't like the Gopher football team anymore."
Timmy: "I understand Johnny. Those anonymous online posters are so mean!!!"

so the offense looked bad and the defense looked very tough....your right we don't belong on the field with psu-put your anger aside and look big picture...your for sure a glass is half empty guy-i bet life is fun with that attitude!

I'm a glass half full, but more important I never thought we were talented enough to dominate th big ten and make the rose bowl like you and your moronic homeboys!

My point is we're still not a complete team so I'm not shocked that we aren't able to compete with good complete teams.......

You could also say the 2006 team was a questionable Pass Interference Call away from 7 wins.......

The 2006 team was not as bad people think but they were not that good. Had Cupito finished off that last drive against Purdue that team had a shot at 8 games.......

Mason's time was up...but Maturi might've made a mistake.......

That PI call wasn't even questionable, it was a horrible call. However, at the same point they would have lost to NDSU if they had a kicker so you could say it evens out on the record. Cupito had a great season and really carried that team to a bowl game. I personally think Cupito was the biggest loss from 2006 to 2007. Starting a RsFR QB in a new offense is the single biggest reason for the turnover margin differential which is probably the single biggest factor in going from 6-7 to 1-11.

I'm glad to hear your OK with mediocrity. Where will that get you? This man (Brewster) has taken the program backwards since taking over THREE years ago. It's not the losses to OSU and Penn State that have angered fans on here, it's the way the Gophers have played in these games that has people infuriated. Minnesota doesn't even look like they belong on the same field as the Buckeyes and Lions. All people ask is for the program to remain competitive against the big boys, and that's hasn't even come to close to happening.

I'm curious, what was the score the last time a Glen Mason coached team went to the Horseshoe? Just wondering. You must know, since you think he was such a great coach.

I'm curious, what was the score the last time a Glen Mason coached team went to the Horseshoe? Just wondering. You must know, since you think he was such a great coach.

What about PSU? See how Selective Perception works?

:confused:
Do you watch football or do you read stats? It's honestly impossible to argue with people who clearly have NO understanding of the game. The reason our Defensive stats are mediocre is because the D is on the field all game long. The single thing that Mason excelled at most was Time Of Possession. Defensive statistics are also related to how long the Offense has the ball.
Now that that is out of the way I'm wondering if you watch Gopher games? Do you watch the ones that occurred in the past? Do you have any ability to make comparisons based on what you see on the field as opposed to knee jerk whining based on statistics? Have you noticed that the athletes the Gophers have on D are far faster, and much more athletic than what they fielded in the past? In my 20 years of watching Gopher football they have never had linebackers like Lawrence and Triplett. Cooper is a rising star with unbelievable potential. The Gophers could improve a bit in the D-backfield, but the loss of Brock was devastating for a team that hasn't had enough recruiting classes to build depth. Minnesota's young D-linemen look dynamic and promising. Minnesota's O-line is terrible which leads to lots of 3 and outs. Minnesota's Defensive statistics are more a function of that then how the Gophers are playing on the field.

The Gophers have a much faster, more athletic and competitive Defense than they ever had under Mason. Anyone who has ever played or closely watched Gopher football would agree with that.

C'mon man....You've gotta come up with a better excuse than that. If the Gopher D is on the field too much, then here's an idea. STOP SOMEBODY ON 3RD DOWN FOR CRYIN' OUTLOUD! Is that the offense's fault too? At the end of the day, all that matters is stats (i.e. points allowed) and there is zero improvement. You don't get points for being "faster, more athletic, and competitive" than past teams. OSU just put up 38 points and 500+ yards. Yeah, a couple TD's were on short fields but they still racked up over 500 yards and there were a slew of stupid mistakes. The team is poorly coached with a glorified team manager running the offense. That is not a recipe for success...

Grunkie:

Just wanted to let you know that your points in this thread have been spot-on. I don't like arguing with folks on message boards, because honestly I do understand their frustrations--they're passionate, committed fans who want to see wins. That said, I do appreciate people like you making thoughtful, reasoned arguments that exactly mirror what I'm thinking. Rome wasn't built in a day...and neither have great football programs been resurrected from the ashes in a season or two (or three). The coaches/programs you mentioned (Alvarez, Barnett, Ferentz, Frank Beamer, Gary Pinkel, Mike Belotti, Mike Leach) just absolutely nailed that point home. And the point you brought up about our young talent--who are contributing as TRUE freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores (Kirksey, Edwards, Allen, Gray, Cooper, Tinsley, Wilhite, Stoudamire, Green, McKnight, Whaley) really speaks to how great a job Brewster has done recruiting--and just how empty the cupboard was left by Mason's staff. Honestly, we shouldn't see this many young players contributing...but they're the best we have at this point.

Anyway, great job...I for one am excited by the direction of the program and am convinced we'll see 10 wins by 2011.

I hope Brewster is going to need at least 7 next year to be the coach who gets 10 in 2011.

I honestly believe that firing Brewster at the end of this year would do more damage to the program than 5 years of Brewster ever could. Why? Recruiting.

Marquee players like Gray stated that the reason they came to Minnesota over other programs was Coach Brew. Brew gets canned, and the pipelines he's establishing disappear immediately

Naysayers - sit down, shut up and let things play out here. Stop being so reactionary. Its been 2.5 years. Hardly enough time to gauge things. Grunkie's stats on other Big 10 Championship winning coaches first couple years should be all that is needed to keep you quiet for now.

For those of you predicting doom and gloom, screw you. Whoever posted 5-7 and 5-7 next year. Just quit. Give up on the program. We don't need you, want you, care about what you have to say, or give a damn how long you claim to have been a fan.

Come on Ole, you're better than this. To say that people can't predict losing seasons or they have no credibility? We all know that's ludicrous. So you're saying that in order to be a "true" fan you have to predict 6-6 or better season? It makes no sense - predictions have nothing to do with whether or not someone supports a team or wants a team to win. I can understand the desire to want positivity on the board, but to say that everyone has to predict good outcomes? Wow. :confused:

What about PSU? See how Selective Perception works?

Last Glen Mason squad @ OSU? Lost 44-0 in '06.

Last Glen Mason squad @ PSU? Lost 44-14 in '05.

For kicks, last Glen Mason squad @ Wisconsin? Lost 48-12 in '06.

Ah, let's just throw in another. Last Glen Mason squad @ Iowa? Lost 52-28 after trailing 45-7 in '05.

It's becoming more and more clear that there is a large portion of our fanbase that are either mentally ill, or have serious agendas against the current program.
Fire Brewster Now! are you fing kidding me? Why? Because he's headed towards a another middle of the road season? I'd really like to dig up some of the preseason predictions of the annoyingly vocal critics. You know who you are and have been quite proud of yourselves lately.
Go for it, if you think brew is gone after say a 6-6 season with wins against Ill and SDSU, what were your preseason predictions?

For those of you who want Weber benched and burned, and Gray to lead us to a miraculous 2009 NC
you should be especially ashamed. This kid has done nothing but put himself on the line for every game of his career. Fighting through injury after injury, leading young and talentless teams through the arguably the toughest years in the program's history. He's been humble, hard working, shows great determination and grit. Yet when there are 5 drops in the first half and blocking worthy of a bull fighter, all most of his toughest critics can point to is one bad throw on 3rd and 4. Wow. Congrats, you sure know football.

This program was gutted after the 06 season, due to years of rot and mismanagement at the hands of a egomaniac and his bobos. There is still no quality Jr Sr depth, little opportunity to RS and develop talent, few quality 4 or 5 year guys in the trenches.
You people pretend like this was a quality program when Brew took over, in fact, everything needed to be redone, HS coaches needed to be won over, younger fans and students needed to be brought into the fold. Recruiting needed to fill countless needs right away and down the road. Brew's done all these things very well, and the on field results will come.

For those of you predicting doom and gloom, screw you. Whoever posted 5-7 and 5-7 next year. Just quit. Give up on the program. We don't need you, want you, care about what you have to say, or give a damn how long you claim to have been a fan.

+100 Brewster has done everything you would want a head coach to do. I am so sick of the "know nothings" who post on this board. Did you watch the first half of the Ohio State game. Weber can't throw AND catch the ball. In the second half Weber was worse. Why was that? The coaches must have given him a stupid pill at half time. It COULDN'T have been the score let Ohio State put on a full bore rush could it? Nah, it must be all Webers fault.

Players with long dreadlocks, ect something needs to change.

Trim those sideburns! Where do these posters come from? The ten post idiots come out of the woodwork after the losses.

I doubt anyone who cares about Gopher football so much they post or read a message board is going to not be a fan anymore because someone tells them to "go away."

That doesn't mean it's not ridiculous.

Last Glen Mason squad @ OSU? Lost 44-0 in '06.

Last Glen Mason squad @ PSU? Lost 44-14 in '05.

For kicks, last Glen Mason squad @ Wisconsin? Lost 48-12 in '06.

Ah, let's just throw in another. Last Glen Mason squad @ Iowa? Lost 52-28 after trailing 45-7 in '05.

Being Selective again? Cuz I remember 28-27 in 2006.......

At the end of the day, all that matters is stats (i.e. points allowed) and there is zero improvement. You don't get points for being "faster, more athletic, and competitive" than past teams. OSU just put up 38 points and 500+ yards. Yeah, a couple TD's were on short fields but they still racked up over 500 yards and there were a slew of stupid mistakes.

:eek:
So the short answer was yes, you acknowledge the fact that you don't know anything about football? Because if you can't see the difference in athleticism and ability of the players we have on Defense, or realize that it takes more than 2 full recruiting classes to build depth, (especially on the lines), then there is no point in arguing with you. Anyone who has ever played, coached, or critically watched football at the college level understands this. Clearly, you are not one of those people. :pig:

Being Selective again? Cuz I remember 28-27 in 2006.......

He asked the last to go to OSU. So I assumed you were referring to the last time they went to Penn State, which was in '05. That next year was at home, which was a good effort.

Look, I appreciate what Mason did for the program here, he got us back to at least respectable again. But people make it sound like we were right in the mix with the best in the Big Ten until Brewster got here. I wholeheartedly disagree, we garnered an upset or two along the 10 years, but especially late in his tenure, we were woefully uncompetitive, especially on the road, moreso than we were these last two games we just played. Maybe we are a little more undisciplined than those other teams that would get killed, but it's undeniable that we sucked against any good team on the road on most occasions.

Hopefully that will change in the future.

Top Bottom