I'm absolutely shocked at some of the reactions here

Many here seem to feel on a more rational basis...

that losing "less badly" or "less ugly" would demonstrate that the Gs are becoming more competitivve vs their biggie BT opponents. Generally true. Iowa defeated MSU by a point...they are essentially the same team in many ways, but IA got some favorable bounces and capitalized on them. Usually, the point gap does indicate the differential in competitive match-up (LV etc makes a living at it) and the Gs haven't made much progress based on that stat alone vs the BT "upper tier."

But for the BBs/BHs GHers, the point gap is really meaningless. In their view, if the Gs lose in a blowout to a superior opponent, that proves TB is an idiot and should be run out of town along with his dumb boss. If they lose a close game to a superior opponent, that also proves he's an idiot because he's a salesman and can't finish. If they win a game by some reasonable point spread, he's still an idiot because he hasn't done it "right", left too many points on the field and just got "lucky" because his game plan was flawed vs something Mase would have implemented more effectively.

For more positive, forward-thinking GHers, one important factor to keep in mind is that the BBs/BHs GHers belong to a tribe of GN that thrives in a cloud of immature negativity and pessimism. They are not "dumb", they can identify problems, but they cannot tolerate anything but extreme solutions: "fire them", "sack them", "run them out of town". By persona, they're oppositional and contrarian. That's their comfort zone, just like TB thrives in a cloud of positivity and optimism. In this case, the opposites do not attract...they repel each other rather aggressively.

More positive GHers have referred to the BBs/BHs as "dumb", "stupid", "childish" etc, but my take is that although that may be true from an adult perspective, these posters are simply stuck in a cloud of negativity most of the time featuring blaming, criticizing, whining and complaining. Since change to a better outcome in life sometimes involves some intermediate emotional pain, the impatient BBs/BHs can't tolerate that because it contradicts their fundamental need for instant gratification, thus the constant whining, blaming and yearning for the simple answer of extreme solutions.

That said, I find that one of the useful functions of the BBs/BHs is that they keep the mostly positive GHers in a place of reality while looking toward the longer-term rebuilding objectives. Given the general goodwill toward TB on this board, it is easy to slip into denial regarding some real problems that need to be addressed on a weekly basis by a HC: stupid penalties, player discipline, third down failures etc and others that have been well documented here. Yes, GHers will probably have to continue to tolerate the "stupidities" from the negative GHer bashers, but I do believe it results in a more interesting, lively and useful discussion board in the long-run IMHO.

Mostly you can't talk about the areas of needed improvement. It's just turns in to an opportunity for these negatives to bash the team and coach. It's not that we don't see it, or are ignoring it. It's just that there is no place for level headed discussion.

Mostly you can't talk about the areas of needed improvement. It's just turns in to an opportunity for these negatives to bash the team and coach. It's not that we don't see it, or are ignoring it. It's just that there is no place for level headed discussion.
Well, you can't control what other people post all you can do is be constructive yourself. To me the irrational voices will filter out over time so long as people demand they substantiate their claims. If we just get into mud slinging matches then none of us will run out of ammo.

No it's a small difference. One that doesn't support the team bashing and coach firing rants.

There's a difference between spotting areas in need of improvement and sports discussion and the crap that is being spewed here by so called fans.

Well, just because you disagree doesn't make it so. I think it's a big difference. You don't. We disagree. You're a fan. I'm a fan, even though you are apparently now referring to me as a "so-called fan" because my definitions and expectations are different than yours.

Good lord what have I created!?:cry:

I'm truly regretting starting this thread, really, my apologies to the board.
Ole:

Your original comments in the thread were outstanding and combined with the message from Mr. Wills gave me pause for reflection. First, this is college football where very few who compete ever make it to the NFL. Second, D-1 football is an incredible committment for 18-23 yr. old boys/men. Third, this is OUR state University that most of us choose to support and hold out hope for a return to football competing for championships.

The predictably negative who rag-remember it doesn't matter who the coach is because it is the same song and dance-will always rag because they are all like Debbie Downer.

So Go Gophers and I look forward to a QB combination of Weber/Gray leading us over MSU on Halloween night in an awesome college football environment. The small idiotic morons who think they are professional football scouts/coaches should pass out candy and rag on the fact that there are too many kids trick or treating this Halloween.

What's amazing to me is that the "positive" posters on this message board seem to be far, far more negative than the "negative" posters.

N.F.L. or bust

Ole:

Your original comments in the thread were outstanding and combined with the message from Mr. Wills gave me pause for reflection. First, this is college football where very few who compete ever make it to the NFL. Second, D-1 football is an incredible committment for 18-23 yr. old boys/men. Third, this is OUR state University that most of us choose to support and hold out hope for a return to football competing for championships.

The predictably negative who rag-remember it doesn't matter who the coach is because it is the same song and dance-will always rag because they are all like Debbie Downer.

So Go Gophers and I look forward to a QB combination of Weber/Gray leading us over MSU on Halloween night in an awesome college football environment. The small idiotic morons who think they are professional football scouts/coaches should pass out candy and rag on the fact that there are too many kids trick or treating this Halloween.

All though most young men who are in a d-1 program are not going to make it to the league... the fact is most of the N.F.L. comes from d-1 programs...and if you are a d-1 player you are by default an N.F.L prospect. and it is also a fact that most kids want to go to d-1 schools to be N.F.L prospects other wise why not go to pork n bean county university and play ball and get your education paid for. what i see from Brewster s recruits is most of them have the potential to be N.FL.prospects which translates in to better talent who practice and play hard because their possible futures are decided by it which translates into winning seasons and better bowl games and big 10 championships.

Top Bottom