If his name wasn't "Tubby Smith" would your opinion change?

Any chance u guys can shorten up your posts - Two\Three paragraph answers are not needed.

Any chance u guys can shorten up your posts - Two\Three paragraph answers are not needed.

Is this better?

"Me love team but we history not been very good all time. Me love program still."

GophersInIowa said:
Is this better?

"Me love team but we history not been very good all time. Me love program still."
Perfect!

My list doesn't jump all over the place. All the teams I mentioned have been to the NCAA tournament more than the gophers. Tubby has been there twice in 4 years... about to be 3 in 5 years. You guys have never been 3 times in a row.. ever. It's not that the Gophers have had zero success but your successes have been tainted by ncaa sanctions. Which gives the appearance you've only been good when you've cheated. Not saying that is the case but it's the lack of consistent success that I'm refering too. It's not to say you don't have good fans and proud tradition. I think that's obvious but don't confuse that success. But an outdated arena and no practice facility doesn't give the appearance of wanting to advance the program into the modern college basketball era. You have a great coach, good attendance at games but you're way behind in facilities.

In judgement of Tubby's 4 1/2 years, he's been pretty successful compared to the history of the program. He'll end up with the best winning % of any coach you've ever had. If that's not sucess I don't know what is.

There's a huge difference between Georgia Teach and Auburn. Minnesota is closer to the former than the later. I think most of us think it's reasonable to replicate the results we got from 1989-1999 without cheating. You can focus on NCAA appearances as your only measuring stick, but Minnesota had a great program from about 1970-1982 and made what 2? Not the same pre-1985.

Auburn is not a bad job at all. I don't think they'll ever be at the top of the SEC consistently but certainly should be able to make the ncaa tournament consistently. Great campus, lots of local and regional talent, good facilities and a cash cow football program, something the gophers don't have. The only teams standing in their way are Kentucky, Vandy, Florida, Alabama and Arkansas. Now it's going to get tougher with Mizzou and Texas A&M coming in but there's no reason why Auburn can't be 4 or 5th in the SEC every year. They just need a good coach.

It's not at the top of the SEC because it's at the bottom. A football school with no fan support. Maybe the arena will help, but how much? Not only are they behind UK, Florida, Arkansas, and Vandy, but Alabama, Miss. St, Tennessee, South Carolina, LSU and soon Mizzou and Texas A&M. Being the 11th/12th best job in a football conference is not 'good'.

They do have a chance to get to the tournament this year.. it's just more likely than not that they won't.

Buzz.. no chance. He's got a nice setup in Milwaukee, but if he were to go anywhere it would be to somewhere in your state. (Crappy game today though... ugh. I'm going to the MU @ DePaul game Monday... can hardly wait.)

Golden Eagle (or is it Gold now?) guy is right. Buzz has a great setup in Milwaukee. He's the head coach of the only real athletic program in the school, he is only responsible for maintaining profit levels commensurate with schools like Penn State and South Carolina, and he can ensure that sexual assaults (plural) by his players never see the light of day.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ses-20111028,0,4057558.story?page=1&track=rss

The Big Ten is certainly not a good fit for a superstar coach like Buzz. I wonder where he'll be when The Gold are back in a C-USA type of league?

It also better than Iowa and NC State. Better than St. John's, UVa or GT? Debatable, but on the same level.

Based on what? The poster is talking historically. Almost every possible piece of evidence at one's disposal indicates that NC State, Iowa, St. John's, UVa, and GT are better programs historically. We have a skewed sense of our own history.

And, frankly, I don't see any unbiased evidence that says we'll be better than any of those programs looking forward. Hell, Iowa beat us twice this year, will likely have a better Big Ten record than us this year, has a much higher ranked recruiting class for next year, has a new $46 million practice facility, and a renovated arena. And, historically, they've been better than us and it isn't all that close.

Based on what? The poster is talking historically. Almost every possible piece of evidence at one's disposal indicates that NC State, Iowa, St. John's, UVa, and GT are better programs historically. We have a skewed sense of our own history.

And, frankly, I don't see any unbiased evidence that says we'll be better than any of those programs looking forward. Hell, Iowa beat us twice this year, will likely have a better Big Ten record than us this year, has a much higher ranked recruiting class for next year, has a new $46 million practice facility, and a renovated arena. And, historically, they've been better than us and it isn't all that close.

My only point in naming a bunch of schools that are better historically than Minnesota is even though I believe that's true. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be, to become relevant again. I think Minnesota is on the verge of being relevant again, but nc state, iowa, st johns, uva and GT have been irrelevant for a long time besides the one final 4 for GT

GT is in Atlanta, St. Johns is in New York City. Do you know many good basketball players live in those 2 cities? How hard could it be right? Apparently it's pretty freakin hard. Now take MN. Not a lot of good players in the state compared to the 2 above. Yet you have a guy that's taken you to the ncaa tournament twice and about to about 3 times.

notagopherfan said:
My only point in naming a bunch of schools that are better historically than Minnesota is even though I believe that's true. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be, to become relevant again. I think Minnesota is on the verge of being relevant again, but nc state, iowa, st johns, uva and GT have been irrelevant for a long time besides the one final 4 for GT

GT is in Atlanta, St. Johns is in New York City. Do you know many good basketball players live in those 2 cities? How hard could it be right? Apparently it's pretty freakin hard. Now take MN. Not a lot of good players in the state compared to the 2 above. Yet you have a guy that's taken you to the ncaa tournament twice and about to about 3 times.

I agree with your overall point, but MN only competes in state with MN. St. Johns and GT compete with a whole lot of D1 schools in their area.

I'd be interested to see 5/4/3-star recruits per D1, BCS, school in their state for MN, NY, and Georgia.

They do have a chance to get to the tournament this year.. it's just more likely than not that they won't.

Buzz.. no chance. He's got a nice setup in Milwaukee, but if he were to go anywhere it would be to somewhere in your state. (Crappy game today though... ugh. I'm going to the MU @ DePaul game Monday... can hardly wait.)

Why do you post here?

Why do you post here?

Post here? They let him publish his cute little game previews and pimp his sh!tty twitter account on the front page.

Plans are in place to convert this place to a Minnesota based mark-ette fan site that occasionally talks about the inferiority of Gopher basketball.

I agree with your overall point, but MN only competes in state with MN. St. Johns and GT compete with a whole lot of D1 schools in their area.

I'd be interested to see 5/4/3-star recruits per D1, BCS, school in their state for MN, NY, and Georgia.

2011. MN had a total of 4 3Star recruits.. coleman being in the top 150 and of course he went to MN. GA- 1 5 star who went to GA. 5 4 stars.. none went to GA or GT 15 3 stars 1 went to GT, 2 didn't qualify.

Post here? They let him publish his cute little game previews and pimp his sh!tty twitter account on the front page.

Plans are in place to convert this place to a Minnesota based mark-ette fan site that occasionally talks about the inferiority of Gopher basketball.

Step 1: Trash any players who have left Marquette and call them criminals. Check.
Step 2: Constantly trash any coaches who have left Marquette and belittle his team. Check.
Step 3: Change the website's colors to Marquette's colors. Coming soon...

Top Bottom