If football is pushed to spring, does that impact the start of the 2021 traditional fall season?

Not true, I saw the Alvarez interview and he said Chryst is opposed to a spring then fall season.

Urban Meyer also said no chance. Chryst is probably the only coach that has direct experience with players trying to play two seasons in the same year. He was involved with this when he coached in the World Football League and then it went under and many of those players were absorbed into the NFL. He said a lot of those players broke down physically and struggled to do it.

Spring ball makes much more sense without butts in the seats.

Not saying it will happen but take fans out of the math and possibly add vaccine...seems more likely.

Contact testing has failed in many areas for multiple reasons.
One is the absence of a readily available, rapid response, accurate test.
Please define what rapid antigen testing is and how it differs from what is available and why and who are "policy makers" that refused to accept it.
There has not been enough federal money to states to hire and train contact tracers.
In some locales the nvast number of positive tests overwhelmed the system.
Those are just a few reasons.

There are reams of stories on rapid testing. More are on fast track development. The testing paradigm is changing.

Here are a few point of care tests

Last edited:

Yup, 5 minute testing with results is here. It just needs to ramp up.
Vaccine before the end of the year seems likely.
But, even with both of those advancements, I’m skeptical there will be a spring Big Ten football season of even 6 games. Coaches do not seem in favor but had no voice in the decision to cancel. Finances could possibly force a spring season if majority of the Presidents felt desperate. Best decision seems to wait until fall.

I’m having trouble following the logic of being worried about players health from playing 2 seasons in 2021, but not being worried about their health by playing in the middle of a pandemic in 2020.

There is a pretty good chance there is no football in 2021

If we are waiting on a vaccine to be widely distributed we are likely playing spring 2022 at the earliest

This is not true. We will play in 2021 with or without a vaccine. It is beginning to be a numbers game. The effects of Covid will last for a couple years but lock downs, stopping the economy will cease by nature of how pandemics play out.

Stop the spring crap and lets just get ready for fall 2021.

There is a pretty good chance there is no football in 2021

If we are waiting on a vaccine to be widely distributed we are likely playing spring 2022 at the earliest
Such a liar.

Pissed off and bitter that you lost the war of ideas/culture on this, so you're trying to sow misinformation and fear. Pretty damned sad.

This is not true. We will play in 2021 with or without a vaccine. It is beginning to be a numbers game. The effects of Covid will last for a couple years but lock downs, stopping the economy will cease by nature of how pandemics play out.

Stop the spring crap and lets just get ready for fall 2021.
I agree with this mostly, but I would also be OK with a short spring season.

Simply restart next fall but we will need rules in place regarding who may compete. No super seniors. I have a dog in the hunt with my kid coming into a program. We cannot start shuffling the new kids cuz the oldsters want to play more.

Simply restart next fall but we will need rules in place regarding who may compete. No super seniors. I have a dog in the hunt with my kid coming into a program. We cannot start shuffling the new kids cuz the oldsters want to play more.
Bryce Witham was going to be a super-senior (6th year) in 2020. Guessing no one had a problem with him "displacing" playing time or back-up time of a true freshman TE coming in.

Sorry, but I just can't get on board with telling seniors to be in 2020 "sorry, life sucks, bye!". Not gonna do it for me. Gotta work something out.

I think if you started playing games in March you could play 8-10 games and then play 8-10 games starting mid-to-late September. That is 16-20 games in 9 months.

For comparison:
Clemson LSU played 15 games from 8/29-1/13- 137 days (1 game every 9,1 days)
LSU played 15 games from 8/31-1/13 - 135 days (1 game every 9 days)
NDSU and James Madison played 16 games from 8/31-1/11 - 133 days (1 game every 8.3 days)

If you do a 10 game schedule from March 20 through May 22 and then a 10 game schedule from September 25 ending on Thanksgiving - 252 days - that is 1 game every 12.6 days. If you add two bowl games it is an average of 1 game every 11.4 days.

Now with all that being said, I wouldn't bet a lot of money on spring football in 2021.

Not true, I saw the Alvarez interview and he said Chryst is opposed to a spring then fall season.

Ok, I found the quote from Alvarez:

In Wisconsin, Badgers football coach Paul Chryst and athletics director Barry Alvarez tried to look at what comes next. Here's what they told madison.com with a mix of optimism and caution.

Alvarez cautioned against expecting two full seasons in the spring and then the fall: “(Chryst) said two full seasons back-to-back like that is too much. So, taking that into consideration, my natural thinking is six, eight games, something like that, if you do something this spring.
Chryst on what a spring season could look like: “I think there’s some things you could do in the spring. You could do some games against other opponents, almost like preseason games in the NFL, play against teams you’ve never played against before and have great matchups.”

If they played in the spring I'd be all right with each division only playing the other teams in it's division, so 6 games. Could throw in a title game between the champs.

There is not going to be spring college football.
That was put out to divert the wrath of those who think their lives will end if they cannot watch their favorite team play this fall.

fwiw; I think Plato is right, but Bill Connelly's article on spring football raised some good points:

I don't think there will be a spring football season because Urban said so.

I don't necessarily like this solution, because I'm against fall 2021 being delayed. But I'll give props to anyone for not complaining and trying to come up with a solution. Nice job coach Brohm.

By "they", who are you referring to?
The NCAA. They increased the roster limit but not the number of scholarships. Not a counter sport, so a little different. Maybe with the counter sports they will add, but I'd be surprised. I'm not sure most schools want 100ish scholarship players after a year of severely decreased revenue (if any).

Also, the U of M and B1G overall enacted a policy which didn't allow spring seniors to come back. Another hard precedent to go back on now.

Last edited:

The U of M, B1G overall had same policy. Didn't allow seniors to come back. Told them they could use their eligibility elsewhere.
That’s not correct. Coyle told softball players they could come back, by would not allow the scholarship limit to be expanded. That’s my recollection anyway.

Down here in Rochester it's been reported that a couple of fcs caliber high school players are moving to South Dakota so they can play a fall season.

Down here in Rochester it's been reported that a couple of fcs caliber high school players are moving to South Dakota so they can play a fall season.
Hopefully they’re grateful that they’re privileged to be born into families that can afford to do that. Many others cannot.

And they won’t be allowed to double-dip and play the Minnesota spring season, which is correct.

I'm surprised about the reported push back regarding a spring season.

I'm a little skeptical about the idea that it would be a serious health risk?

How many players in a given season are injured to the extent they wouldn't be available a few months later?

Hopefully they’re grateful that they’re privileged to be born into families that can afford to do that. Many others cannot.

And they won’t be allowed to double-dip and play the Minnesota spring season, which is correct.

They are indeed fortunate to be born into families whose parents have made decisions over the years to allow themselves options.

They are indeed fortunate to be born into families whose parents have made decisions over the years to allow themselves options.
Always a good decision to decide to be born into inherited wealth! I recommend it.

Always a good decision to decide to be born into inherited wealth! I recommend it.

Always a bad decision to blame someone else's ancestors for all your problems. I dont recommend it.

???? No one was doing any such thing. Yikes

You said they didnt have options because they werent born into inherited wealth. That is blaming someone else rather than accepting responsibility. Yikes!

Top Bottom