If both are healthy, who do you wan to start: Gray or Shortell?

• Gray

Votes: 90 61.6%
  • Shortell

Votes: 56 38.4%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

I really don't care. I'd be fine with both of them at this point. However, we shouldnt be having this discussion because Gray won't be healthy till the homecoming game. We're gonna have to roll with Shortell for 2 games I think.

SHORTELL........there should not even be a question. If you can't pass in today's football you can't win. Gray can't pass, period.

Maximus and it aint close. Q is a below average passer and he is going to get killed with all the Qb delayed runs they were using today.

SHORTELL........there should not even be a question. If you can't pass in today's football you can't win. Gray can't pass, period.
This. Gray is a great athlete and a good QB, but our offense is not diverse enough with him in there. Gotta be able to pass and run to drive the field and I don't know if there is enough confidence in his passing game to do that.

Hard to tell for sure when we haven't passed much with Gray in there the past two games.

Gray. He brings a dynamic that Max doesn't. Now, if he's gimpy, Shortell all the way. Until then, I want Gray as our QB. Hopefully the offensive playbook opens up a bit, though.. We can't win many more if defenses keep throwing 8-9 in the box against Gray.

We can't win many more if defenses keep throwing 8-9 in the box against Gray.

Exactly what WMU did today. They took away the read option from Gray and dared us to pass and we were not willing to do so. Gray healthy and playing today, we would have lost.

I've said it before, MG is a much better athlete but Shortell is a better QB, especially with how most teams have evolved into a much more pass oriented game. If we did not have, what appears to be developing, a very dangerous receiving corps, I would say start MG, but as the team stands now I would go with Shortell. That being said, I want MG back healthy and contributing to more Gopher wins as soon as possible.

For those in support of Shortell:
It's clear that when MG is healthy we can't leave him on the bench. What do we do with him? He's our best athlete, he needs to go somewhere. Is he too rusty at WR to go back?

My gut tells me that if Gray had not gotten hurt and based on the play calling, up to the point Q that got hurt, we lose the game. I just don't see the coaches willing to open up the passing game with Q as qb.

Exactly what WMU did today. They took away the read option from Gray and dared us to pass and we were not willing to do so. Gray healthy and playing today, we would have lost.

I was going to say the same thing.

Which means our coaching staff needs to make adjustments. The question is, would they have done so if Gray didn't get hurt?

Just plain stupid. You must see the future!

And who fault is that? The coaches play calling or Gray's? How can you succeed if you aren't given the chance?

Gray played awful against one of the worst pass defenses in the country in UNLV, threw 10 times against NH because we didnt need him. 3-6 29 yards into the second quarter today and he cost us 7 points with his fumble.

For those in support of Shortell:
It's clear that when MG is healthy we can't leave him on the bench. What do we do with him? He's our best athlete, he needs to go somewhere. Is he too rusty at WR to go back?

This is the conundrum.

Shortell played great.
But he was playing against a gray gameplanned defense.
Looked great off the bench last year too, then we managed to not get a 1st half 1st down against Michigan.

Let's keep our pants on.
First 9 throws 7/9 with 3tds. Finished 3/8 with a pick after western Michigan made some adjustments.

Just remember, it's not like Shortell lit it up in the 2nd half either. More conservative play calling with the lead, you see the results. I think he had just 2 completions in the 2nd half.

Shortell played great.
But he was playing against a gray gameplanned defense.
Looked great off the bench last year too, then we managed to not get a 1st half 1st down against Michigan.

Let's keep our pants on.
First 9 throws 7/9 with 3tds. Finished 3/8 with a pick after western Michigan made some adjustments.

If Max plays and he keeps under throwing his receivers and stretching them up over the middle Shortell better learn to run too. That's because there won't be anybody healthy enough to throw to by the middle of the season.

I'd like to see them both start...Shortell throwing and Gray catching.

If both are at 100%, it's not even close who you would put in. It's Gray all the way!!

I absolutely hate running QBs who cannot pass. I don't even care how good of a runner you are, if you can't pass the ball accurately I will not be a fan.

Well the poll speaks for itself. Almost 2:1 in favor of Gray.

If Gray actually does have a high ankle sprain, it's a moot point because he won't be back for at least a month.

We know what Gray can do. We have a little over a year of him running the offense. Looks like Shortell will likely get the start with Gray out for the next couple. Let's give him a few starts before we decide who should be starting. The offensive play calling isn't exactly Gray's fault, but we know he has some accuracy issues. Shortell was slinging great passes for a good portion of his time out on the field with the exception of a couple misfires.

The receivers definitely did their job to catch most of what was thrown, even the difficult catches. Funny that they were one of our biggest worries heading into the season. Right now they would appear to be one of our stronger groups.

Thank goodness we have a decent backup option with Shortell. I agree he makes the offense more dynamic and potent. I would hate to see us get behind by 10 with Gray at QB as I don't think we could mount a comeback.
That being said, Gray has not been bad enough to get the starting position pulled away from him. Since he's a senior and unless this team is undefeated when he is healthy, he gets the starting position back.

Thank goodness we have a decent backup option with Shortell. I agree he makes the offense more dynamic and potent. I would hate to see us get behind by 10 with Gray at QB as I don't think we could mount a comeback.
That being said, Gray has not been bad enough to get the starting position pulled away from him. Since he's a senior and unless this team is undefeated when he is healthy, he gets the starting position back.

Being a senior means there is more expected of you in terms of leadership, poise and consistent play. It doesn't mean you get to keep starting if there is a better option.

If Gray misses 5 games and our record 7-1, I doubt he comes back as the starter.

Top Bottom