I thought they hired this coach cause he could recruit? So where are the players?

No one is making excuses....why can't we wait until a game is played, next years team is put together, and Ben Johnson has his first actual recruiting class before before we call it a failure? Many of the most successful coaches in college basketball history didn't have head coaching experience before their first big head coaching job. You and others have no idea whether it is going to be successful or not, but almost every thread has been made unreadable by about 8-10 posters on this board with their constant complaining....it's almost as annoying as MplsGopher was before he got banned.

I also disagree about the program being in dire straights. I think things are looking up, and my guess is in the next 8 months you will begin to realize that. The last 8 years were dire straights. You must not have noticed the crowd sizes shrinking by about 25%. There are many of who are excited about the future of the program.
I understand this based on hope, but I do not understand it based on evidence. Now it's way too early to say the verdict is in, but based on evidence to this point things are not looking up. I hope that changes.

I understand this based on hope, but I do not understand it based on evidence. Now it's way too early to say the verdict is in, but based on evidence to this point things are not looking up. I hope that changes.
What is happening with Gopher basketball right now is one of the hardest scenarios for fans to deal with. A lot of fans really struggle with the "wait and see" aspect of coaching changes. They want to know it is all going to work out right away and that just isn't possible (even when an established coach is hired).

Knowing it might take 2-3 years to start seeing a payoff from the hire is really hard for the instant gratification crowd to deal with. They obsess over every thing that happens and try to read way too far into every move that is made or not made.

There are still fans on this forum that are worried about how well the team is going to do record wise during the 21-22 season. The idea that the on the court results next year don't really matter is a tough thing for some to grasp.

What is happening with Gopher basketball right now is one of the hardest scenarios for fans to deal with. A lot of fans really struggle with the "wait and see" aspect of coaching changes. They want to know it is all going to work out right away and that just isn't possible (even when an established coach is hired).

Knowing it might take 2-3 years to start seeing a payoff from the hire is really hard for the instant gratification crowd to deal with. They obsess over every thing that happens and try to read way too far into every move that is made or not made.

There are still fans on this forum that are worried about how well the team is going to do record wise during the 21-22 season. The idea that the on the court results next year don't really matter is a tough thing for some to grasp.

I don't believe its the wait and see aspect. I think it's taking a less proven commodity than what we had when Pitino originally came on board, combine that with the unprecedent roster exodus (if you want to argue whether Ben pushed them out or not, nobody here knows) plus an influx of players who besides Fox and Battle, no other P5 program really wanted.

That's what fans are struggling with.

If you didn't drown on the last couple ships (Monson, Tubby, Pitino), you should be able to stay afloat on this one for 2 years at least.
Yep. At Minnesota, you aren't boarding an ocean liner cruise ship. Instead, you hope you're boarding a navy destroyer...with the fear that it might be a pirate ship and the crew will get caught and punished for their crimes.
This has been the nature of Minnesota basketball going back at least to Musselman. It is what it is. Roll the dice and hope it doesn't come up snake eyes...

I don't believe its the wait and see aspect. I think it's taking a less proven commodity than what we had when Pitino originally came on board, combine that with the unprecedent roster exodus (if you want to argue whether Ben pushed them out or not, nobody here knows) plus an influx of players who besides Fox and Battle, no other P5 program really wanted.

Loewe had multiple p5 opportunities and Sutherland mentioned Oregon State was recruiting him. I know you are trolling but please stop making up stuff.

Yep. At Minnesota, you aren't boarding an ocean liner cruise ship. Instead, you hope you're boarding a navy destroyer...with the fear that it might be a pirate ship and the crew will get caught and punished for their crimes.
This has been the nature of Minnesota basketball going back at least to Musselman. It is what it is. Roll the dice and hope it doesn't come up snake eyes...

Doesn't a ship need a full crew of sailors?

Loewe had multiple p5 opportunities and Sutherland mentioned Oregon State was recruiting him. I know you are trolling but please stop making up stuff.

I also had multiple p5 offers, too bad you'll never find them with a google search.

And for Sutherland, as others have mentioned, did he have an offer or were they just talking

I also had multiple p5 offers, too bad you'll never find them with a google search.

And for Sutherland, as others have mentioned, did he have an offer or were they just talking
What does even mean? How many transfers openly talk about who is recruiting them?

I'm sure you still think Ben has no idea what style he will play because he didn't go into specifics during a press conference.

Ben didn't deliberately push 10 guys out. That narrative is ridiculous. No one would do that. He gets a partial mulligan in that this is an unprecedented situation.

What does even mean? How many transfers openly talk about who is recruiting them?

I'm sure you still think Ben has no idea what style he will play because he didn't go into specifics during a press conference.

and there's your answer. Loewe had no other P5 offers, but if you want to make stuff up in your head, go for it. It's a free country.

Ben didn't deliberately push 10 guys out. That narrative is ridiculous. No one would do that. He gets a partial mulligan in that this is an unprecedented situation.

I don't think he did either, but some ppl think he did.

If Ben had a history of turning around struggling programs, it would be a lot easier to accept this season "not mattering". Everyone would be excited if that were the case. Unfortunately, our last 2 seasons essentially didn't matter since they didn't qualify for postseason play. With so many unknowns, it is harder to look forward to the potential of a 5-10 win season AT THIS POINT. Once games are played, they could be fun to watch regardless of outcome and I really hope that is the case. The idea that some don't understand why there is frustration right now, is a really tough thing for me to grasp. If Pitino signed these players he would be getting ripped. With Ben it's just "trust the plan, next year doesn't matter". Some of us want it to matter!

and there's your answer. Loewe had no other P5 offers, but if you want to make stuff up in your head, go for it. It's a free country.
How many transfers list out who offers them? Go look an interview with him he talks about who was recruiting him.

The less proven commodity and the wait and see idea are the exact same thing. With a less proven commodity you have to trust the powers that be know what they are doing and are working with better information than the fans have.

As for the players. If the goal was to build a championship team for next season, then yeah, it would be time to panic. But that clearly isn't the goal. They are taking on a lot of one year guys so that they can field a team but also not saddle themselves with players that will tie up scholarships for multiple seasons. Thus leaving those scholarships free for incoming freshman or potential other better transfers down the line.

Anyone stressing about the current makeup of the roster has their sights set on next season and they are almost certainly going to be disappointed. Of course the flip side to that is that we have no clue what we are going to get out of all the new faces and while it seems likely the team is going to really struggle it is not a guarantee and we might be pleasantly surprised by what we see from the team next year. All boils down to how you choose to look at things....

I have no clue how this hire is going to work out. But I am willing to give Johnson time and to trust that Coyle saw something in him that makes him believe it will work out long term, even if the short term is a little dicey.

If Pitino signed these players he would be getting ripped. With Ben it's just "trust the plan, next year doesn't matter". Some of us want it to matter!

If Pitino had signed the transfer guards as immediately eligible short-term players, I wouldn't have ripped him for that. I think those players were reasonably good choices.

I think Ben may have erred by focusing too much on recruiting a stable of experienced guards at the beginning. While he was successful doing that in a short time period, the front court needs seemed to be left for later and, unfortunately, there were fewer quality players available then and an intense competition for recruiting them. Certainly this newest recruit's record of accomplishment is underwhelming.

If Ben had a history of turning around struggling programs, it would be a lot easier to accept this season "not mattering". Everyone would be excited if that were the case. Unfortunately, our last 2 seasons essentially didn't matter since they didn't qualify for postseason play. With so many unknowns, it is harder to look forward to the potential of a 5-10 win season AT THIS POINT. Once games are played, they could be fun to watch regardless of outcome and I really hope that is the case. The idea that some don't understand why there is frustration right now, is a really tough thing for me to grasp. If Pitino signed these players he would be getting ripped. With Ben it's just "trust the plan, next year doesn't matter". Some of us want it to matter!
You have to separate what has happened in the past and what is happening now. The last two seasons have nothing to do with Johnson. And the fact that Pitino would get ripped for signing the same players as Johnson is irrelevant because the goal for a team in year 9 is not the same as what you are dealing with for a team in year 1.

You can want next year to matter all you want but it isn't fair to ask a new coach to take over a struggling program and turn it around in one year. Just doesn't happen. If your evaluation of the program is totally driven by the won/loss record next year then you are likely setting yourself up to be disappointed.

The less proven commodity and the wait and see idea are the exact same thing. With a less proven commodity you have to trust the powers that be know what they are doing and are working with better information than the fans have.

As for the players. If the goal was to build a championship team for next season, then yeah, it would be time to panic. But that clearly isn't the goal. They are taking on a lot of one year guys so that they can field a team but also not saddle themselves with players that will tie up scholarships for multiple seasons. Thus leaving those scholarships free for incoming freshman or potential other better transfers down the line.

Anyone stressing about the current makeup of the roster has their sights set on next season and they are almost certainly going to be disappointed. Of course the flip side to that is that we have no clue what we are going to get out of all the new faces and while it seems likely the team is going to really struggle it is not a guarantee and we might be pleasantly surprised by what we see from the team next year. All boils down to how you choose to look at things....

I have no clue how this hire is going to work out. But I am willing to give Johnson time and to trust that Coyle saw something in him that makes him believe it will work out long term, even if the short term is a little dicey.

The biggest concern for me is not the W/L record for 21/22. It is the apparent inability of BJ to sell the vision for the program to enough highly regarded transfers or even the players who were ON the roster - who are all now transferring out. Obviously many teams go through a mass exodus with a new coach, but seriously, only Ihnen is staying?? The only way that is acceptable is if Ben has a major influx of talent coming in and he was actively encouraging these guys to leave. We have to assume he was trying to convince Gabe, Tre, Mash, Robbins, Brandon Johnson, even Freeman to stay, right? And he's 0 for all of them, they've scattered to the winds and NOT to upgraded conferences or programs. If he can't keep even the bench players on a bottom 4 Big 10 program here, what makes us think he's going to suddenly get all the top high school players from Minnesota next year?

That's where my criticism and concern is coming from. I know every situation is different and we aren't Indiana, but Mike Woodson at IU convinced 4 of the 6 guys who had entered the portal to stay. Other new coaches come in and articulate their vision and convince potential transfers to stay at their program and grow into something special. Ben has done that with exactly one player, but lost all the rest. Something is wrong with the sales pitch.

No one is making excuses....why can't we wait until a game is played, next years team is put together, and Ben Johnson has his first actual recruiting class before before we call it a failure? Many of the most successful coaches in college basketball history didn't have head coaching experience before their first big head coaching job. You and others have no idea whether it is going to be successful or not, but almost every thread has been made unreadable by about 8-10 posters on this board with their constant complaining....it's almost as annoying as MplsGopher was before he got banned.

I also disagree about the program being in dire straights. I think things are looking up, and my guess is in the next 8 months you will begin to realize that. The last 8 years were dire straights. You must not have noticed the crowd sizes shrinking by about 25%. There are many of who are excited about the future of the program.
I haven't called anything a failure at this point. The excuses have been flowing since the hire, wether you recognize it or not.

Long time, diehard fans are apathetic. A few from GH that I never thought would be at this point. Yet, they are.

I have been a part of the shrinking crowds, witnessing it first hand. Steady decline from the Clem years when the Barn was THE place to be. Does that meet your standard of crowd size recognition?

I hope Ben Johnson is the second coming of Tony Bennett. Gopher BB is my favorite sport, and has been for 5 decades. Coyle mad the hire, now the results will follow. I certainly hope your 8 month prediction is realized. What specifics do you assign to "things looking up"?

Not possible to prove we couldn’t get someone for four million. Not possible to prove a negative.
you’re the one making a positive claim. Prove we could get him for 4, heck prove we could get him for 5.
So you cant.

Many of the fans you cite have been down this road for decades. If you think these are instant gratification fans, you are mistaken.

Yes, some of us are worried about the results for next season. And last season, and the season before. And the 2022-23 season. Getting your ass handed to you is a problem, first year of the new HC or not. Not winning games is a problem on many fronts, one is recruiting with appears to be a major issue at MN.

The biggest concern for me is not the W/L record for 21/22. It is the apparent inability of BJ to sell the vision for the program to enough highly regarded transfers or even the players who were ON the roster - who are all now transferring out. Obviously many teams go through a mass exodus with a new coach, but seriously, only Ihnen is staying?? The only way that is acceptable is if Ben has a major influx of talent coming in and he was actively encouraging these guys to leave. We have to assume he was trying to convince Gabe, Tre, Mash, Robbins, Brandon Johnson, even Freeman to stay, right? And he's 0 for all of them, they've scattered to the winds and NOT to upgraded conferences or programs. If he can't keep even the bench players on a bottom 4 Big 10 program here, what makes us think he's going to suddenly get all the top high school players from Minnesota next year?

That's where my criticism and concern is coming from. I know every situation is different and we aren't Indiana, but Mike Woodson at IU convinced 4 of the 6 guys who had entered the portal to stay. Other new coaches come in and articulate their vision and convince potential transfers to stay at their program and grow into something special. Ben has done that with exactly one player, but lost all the rest. Something is wrong with the sales pitch.
Totally agree with you on this. The Pitino haters are getting their due. Pitino had issues but they were the same things that people complained about with Tubby, Monson, and yes even the mighty Haskins.

We had a good and developing roster last year and with incoming recruits would have been even better. Pitino did not develop the bench (which he admitted later was a big mistake) but at least the players liked playing for him. It is clear that they were here because of him. Not the case with Johnson.

All the players Ben has gotten are second class to those players that we had last year. It will be MANY years before we even get back to what we had last year. Although it was a disappointing year there were many good parts of it and there was a path to success.

Big mistake by Coyle.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Just because this team is not comprised of all 4 and 5 star recruits does NOT mean that they cannot be competitive as a TEAM. One of the most compelling story lines in sports is to watch the underdog prevail. Let's see whether this coaching staff can get this team to create a few stories of their own. If sports were always won by the highest rated team, there would be no need to play the games.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Just because this team is not comprised of all 4 and 5 star recruits does NOT mean that they cannot be competitive as a TEAM. One of the most compelling story lines in sports is to watch the underdog prevail. Let's see whether this coaching staff can get this team to create a few stories of their own. If sports were always won by the highest rated team, there would be no need to play the games.
"Once games are played, they could be fun to watch regardless of outcome and I really hope that is the case." - Me in the message you replied to. I will be rooting for the Gophers regardless of underdog status, so that aspect doesn't really matter. The Gophers have essentially been underdogs my entire life anyway. NO ONE was expecting 5 star recruits, I think it would be fair to have expected maybe one impact "4 star" type player considering the credit Ben is given for recruiting. That could still happen I suppose. Most defenses of Ben so far have just been straw man attacks against GH'ers with apparent unreasonable expectations and clichés about doing less with more. All of those with low/pessimistic expectations would LOVE to be surprised this season.

As has been discussed here ad nauseam, NONE of us know what conversations Ben had with the players. NONE of us have a quote from any player stating that they didn't like Ben or Ben's sales pitch. I will gladly eat crow if anyone can find anything negative about Ben from a PLAYER.

Once the NCAA decided to offer an unprecedented chance for a free transfer, I imagine the thought process for most went something like this in approximately this order...
  1. Mpls. was the site of the George Floyd murder and ensuing protests/riots last summer which highlighted racial inequities in this community. (Am I in the right place? Am I safe?)
  2. Players just played an abbreviated season during a COVID pandemic with stress and concerns about their own health and well-being and that of their families. (What happens if I get COVID? I have family members with health problems... I hope that they are OK.)
  3. The one clear star of the program was leaving the program to pursue their NBA dreams. (Wow... Marcus really was awesome for us this year! If he leaves, we won't have another guy who can create his own shot and win the game for us.).
  4. The squad just played a full season during a pandemic in an arena that is magical when full but dull and lifeless when empty. (Man... I feel like basketball is getting me down. I love balling... I wonder what it is like somewhere else.)
  5. The players have not gotten an opportunity to get to know anyone outside of their squad due to virtual classrooms. (I am so lonely. I need to see more than just the same 15 players, coaches, and trainers.)
  6. The collapse over the last half of the season was devastating. (That sucked... I wonder if I can go somewhere where I can play more and win.)
  7. A new coach is hired and the remaining players have to add a new stress to their lives and consider playing for someone who they have no relationship with. (I don't know this guy... will he like my game. He really loves D and that's a lot of work. What if he doesn't play me?)
  8. The new coach does not retain the second best player's uncle as Ass't. and he opts to transfer to follow his uncle. (Oof... the cupboard is bare... this is going to be rough.)
  9. A solid guard after facing a couple of years of increased scrutiny from fans opts to explore new options. (Gabe was a solid dude. After Jarvis left, I don't feel like I know anyone from MSP anymore.)
  10. Three first or second year players from the south transfer to more moderate climates after a winter with all of the above baggage and stress wearing them down while knowing that they they have now lost their top 3 players and are likely going to lose even more in the next year. (I gotta get out of here... at least I won't have to face the cold... that was brutal!)
  11. A couple of first year transfers see the writing on the wall, have nearly NO relationships with anyone in the program or community, and opt to go home and/or explore other options. (I'm out... I might as well go find somewhere else.)
Put yourselves in each of the players' shoes and think about when you would have jumped ship in this scenario?

Woodson works for a storied program that was not losing its star players. They were not facing the stress of racial inquity in their face for months on end and do not have a polar winter to face. The situation at IU is completely different from here.

"Once games are played, they could be fun to watch regardless of outcome and I really hope that is the case." - Me in the message you replied to. I will be rooting for the Gophers regardless of underdog status, so that aspect doesn't really matter. The Gophers have essentially been underdogs my entire life anyway. NO ONE was expecting 5 star recruits, I think it would be fair to have expected maybe one impact "4 star" type player considering the credit Ben is given for recruiting. That could still happen I suppose. Most defenses of Ben so far have just been straw man attacks against GH'ers with apparent unreasonable expectations and clichés about doing less with more. All of those with low/pessimistic expectations would LOVE to be surprised this season.
As I've said... recruiting is about relationships. Not every recruit that Ben talked to in previous years is in the portal. Ben is building as fast as he can. He is working the portal to field a team but recruiting the HS kids who will be the backbone of the program for the foreseeable future. Obviously something happened with TX A&M Assistant Coach Jamie McNeilly or we would have two new starters. We will likely never know but this stall forced Ben to tap the brakes a bit on his work in the portal likely impacting who was available when it was finally known that McNeilly was not coming.

As has been discussed here ad nauseam, NONE of us know what conversations Ben had with the players. NONE of us have a quote from any player stating that they didn't like Ben or Ben's sales pitch. I will gladly eat crow if anyone can find anything negative about Ben from a PLAYER.

Once the NCAA decided to offer an unprecedented chance for a free transfer, I imagine the thought process for most went something like this in approximately this order...
  1. Mpls. was the site of the George Floyd murder and ensuing protests/riots last summer which highlighted racial inequities in this community. (Am I in the right place? Am I safe?)
  2. Players just played an abbreviated season during a COVID pandemic with stress and concerns about their own health and well-being and that of their families. (What happens if I get COVID? I have family members with health problems... I hope that they are OK.)
  3. The one clear star of the program was leaving the program to pursue their NBA dreams. (Wow... Marcus really was awesome for us this year! If he leaves, we won't have another guy who can create his own shot and win the game for us.).
  4. The squad just played a full season during a pandemic in an arena that is magical when full but dull and lifeless when empty. (Man... I feel like basketball is getting me down. I love balling... I wonder what it is like somewhere else.)
  5. The players have not gotten an opportunity to get to know anyone outside of their squad due to virtual classrooms. (I am so lonely. I need to see more than just the same 15 players, coaches, and trainers.)
  6. The collapse over the last half of the season was devastating. (That sucked... I wonder if I can go somewhere where I can play more and win.)
  7. A new coach is hired and the remaining players have to add a new stress to their lives and consider playing for someone who they have no relationship with. (I don't know this guy... will he like my game. He really loves D and that's a lot of work. What if he doesn't play me?)
  8. The new coach does not retain the second best player's uncle as Ass't. and he opts to transfer to follow his uncle. (Oof... the cupboard is bare... this is going to be rough.)
  9. A solid guard after facing a couple of years of increased scrutiny from fans opts to explore new options. (Gabe was a solid dude. After Jarvis left, I don't feel like I know anyone from MSP anymore.)
  10. Three first or second year players from the south transfer to more moderate climates after a winter with all of the above baggage and stress wearing them down while knowing that they they have now lost their top 3 players and are likely going to lose even more in the next year. (I gotta get out of here... at least I won't have to face the cold... that was brutal!)
  11. A couple of first year transfers see the writing on the wall, have nearly NO relationships with anyone in the program or community, and opt to go home and/or explore other options. (I'm out... I might as well go find somewhere else.)
Put yourselves in each of the players' shoes and think about when you would have jumped ship in this scenario?

Woodson works for a storied program that was not losing its star players. They were not facing the stress of racial inquity in their face for months on end and do not have a polar winter to face. The situation at IU is completely different from here.
We all recognize that the situation is difficult, you know you have the right person when those situations are overcome. If we wanted someone to explain why overcoming is hard we would have just kept Pitino.

it seems like the excuses are going to be fast and furious.

We all recognize that the situation is difficult, you know you have the right person when those situations are overcome. If we wanted someone to explain why overcoming is hard we would have just kept Pitino.

it seems like the excuses are going to be fast and furious.
"An excuse exists to justify, blame or defend a fault…with the intent to absolve oneself of accountability." I have never offered excuses.

"Reason implies that fault is sincerely recognized and accepted…" and that you step up and take accountability for your actions. I am all for acknowledging and owning the facts and determining ways to overcome to achieve positive results.

Many of the posters on the board are seemingly fixated on the past versus the facts. We are NOT going to get a replacement for Ben after 2 months so stop whining about it. We are NOT going to be able to resign the student-athletes that have signed with another team so quit hand-wringing over it.

If you are upset and have a solution, DO SOMETHING. I welcome people who work their way out of problems and don't just complain about them.

Top Bottom