I still support Pitino.

My recommendation to cure MY malaise is for you to pack YOUR bags, and find another also-ran to mindlessly support. You, and those like you who cant even conceive of a successful men's basketball program at the University of Minnesota are a huge reason we dont have one.

GTFO.
I've got a lot on my plate and don't live or die by how 19 year olds do on the basketball court. Gophers will be fine next year. Lighten up for Jesus sake.

Are his teams underachieving or did he do a poor job of recruiting?
His players don't look like they want to play for him? I beg to differ. They have played extremely hard for him and I have not seen an ounce of give up in them.
I will say this, he has not recruited enough good players to get through the injuries, transfers and early exits for the pros that do happen in college basketball. I think he is getting better but it may be too little too late.

Pitino is still really young and is going to be a successful high D1 coach for a long time. My preference is that it is at Minnesota but if he gets canned or decides to bail to a warmer climate, it will be somewhere else, obviously.

This team has played well this year from my perspective but not enough depth to overcome loss of Coffey and Curry and the unexpectedly poor shooting from Gabe and Payton. I think they'll be better next year with or without DO.

Lil' Ricky has shown to be a really bad bench X/O coach. Among the worst in the country from what i've seen. That's my biggest criticism.
Among the worst in the country is quite an accomplishment. Please expand on why you feel he is such a bad bench X/O coach or is that just a talking point you Pitino bashers like to repeat.

Among the worst in the country is quite an accomplishment. Please expand on why you feel he is such a bad bench X/O coach or is that just a talking point you Pitino bashers like to repeat.

I'm sure the reasoning will include a bunch of strong data points and proof. Plenty of things to bash Pitino on, his X's and O's offensively probably are not it.

Hiring Craig Smith or whoever the f*ck you want would not make us better next year. We would lose Mashburn Jr. as well. And if the new coach doesn't start winning B1G titles in 3-4 years you'll be calling for his head too and we'll be back to square one.

You're the same dude blaming GopherHole posters for our team being subpar but I guess you know what's best for this program huh? ?
I KNOW hiring "Craig Smith or whoever" probably doesnt make "us" better.

I'm the guy who said in the poll thread that "only fire Pitino if you get coach X" is not a valid response. You CANT KNOW in advance of a coaching hire how that guy will do. Hell they could hire Mike K away from Duke, and there's no guarantee he'd win here.

But that doesnt mean you just keep paying the guy who has PROVEN he wont be successful.

And for the record, it's unlikely any coach will be successful next season, because this teams roster is going to be tough to win with. Virtually impossible if Oturu bolts.

I'm the guy who said in the poll thread that "only fire Pitino if you get coach X" is not a valid response. You CANT KNOW in advance of a coaching hire how that guy will do. Hell they could hire Mike K away from Duke, and there's no guarantee he'd win here.

But that doesnt mean you just keep paying the guy who has PROVEN he wont be successful.

And for the record, it's unlikely any coach will be successful next season, because this teams roster is going to be tough to win with. Virtually impossible if Oturu bolts.
There are known coaches that would win here.

not that many coaches can squeeze blood from a turnip

So you think he has recruited a bad squad? You should talk to builtbadger- he likes this roster.

So you think he has recruited a bad squad? You should talk to builtbadger- he likes this roster.
I do. Tons of coaches win big with Oturu, Carr surrounded by role players but we simply are not elite defensively. If we were just top 20 defensively we would be near the top of the conference.

I played two years of D1 basketball and actually watch most Gopher games in person. Ask builtbadgers, he may be a little more PC but he will attest to Lil' Ricky being a pretty bad bench coach.

I'm sure the reasoning will include a bunch of strong data points and proof. Plenty of things to bash Pitino on, his X's and O's offensively probably are not it.
:) You are exactly right. I am pretty sure that the addition of Coffey would have made this squad a contender. Sometimes you have to catch a break to turn the corner. I definitely want the next coach to be luckier. He has had too many recruiting misses which has made him susceptible to depth issues and injury. He's a good coach.

I played two years of D1 basketball and actually watch most Gopher games in person. Ask builtbadgers, he may be a little more PC but he will attest to Lil' Ricky being a pretty bad bench coach.
I am probably spoiled as hell and believe that greatness is seen right away. We had a moron for a athletic director and a pig of a person who simply did not know who to talk to and what to look for.

:) You are exactly right. I am pretty sure that the addition of Coffey would have made this squad a contender. Sometimes you have to catch a break to turn the corner. I definitely want the next coach to be luckier. He has had too many recruiting misses which has made him susceptible to depth issues and injury. He's a good coach.
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. He couldn’t even diagram an inbounds play to get the ball in bounds against a press the other night. While the team is young I will give you that and suffers from no depth, he does not design or call good plays out of timeouts to get buckets. Watching some of the timeouts I just don’t see where he commands the timeout and instills some confidence that what he has called will work.

To me it just depends on what you consider X’s and O’s. I think his sets that he runs are fine and his game plans are solid. Now I’m ok with critiquing his D and in game adjustments.

I do. Tons of coaches win big with Oturu, Carr surrounded by role players but we simply are not elite defensively. If we were just top 20 defensively we would be near the top of the conference.

I agree and have liked this roster from the beginning. I thought they would defend better and shoot a higher percentage from 3. Oh Well I guess

Pitino is still really young and is going to be a successful high D1 coach for a long time. My preference is that it is at Minnesota but if he gets canned or decides to bail to a warmer climate, it will be somewhere else, obviously.

This team has played well this year from my perspective but not enough depth to overcome loss of Coffey and Curry and the unexpectedly poor shooting from Gabe and Payton. I think they'll be better next year with or without DO.
What is successful to you ? Will he win a conference title at a power 6 school ? Seems as though his best chance is here as who will hire him in a power 6 job with nothing on the resume' that is impressive.

What is successful to you ? Will he win a conference title at a power 6 school ? Seems as though his best chance is here as who will hire him in a power 6 job with nothing on the resume' that is impressive.
Not true. Pitino. ?

Not true. Pitino. ?
Good one but that name lost a lot of luster. His father's ending brought up all the other things he did. One great recruiter and teacher as well as a gracious loser.

Sorry to disappoint all the turkey buzzards. I expect they will keep circling though, especially after any loss.

Hiring Craig Smith or whoever the f*ck you want would not make us better next year. We would lose Mashburn Jr. as well. And if the new coach doesn't start winning B1G titles in 3-4 years you'll be calling for his head too and we'll be back to square one.

You're the same dude blaming GopherHole posters for our team being subpar but I guess you know what's best for this program huh? ?
What in the absolute hell are you talking about?

Top Bottom