I still support Pitino.

My recommendation to cure your incurable malaise: identify and support a college team that, you know, has a history of winning. Quit expecting the chubby kid to win the 100m race. Ain't gonna happen.
My recommendation to cure MY malaise is for you to pack YOUR bags, and find another also-ran to mindlessly support. You, and those like you who cant even conceive of a successful men's basketball program at the University of Minnesota are a huge reason we dont have one.

GTFO.

Good guy, good coach, bad recruiter. Time to move on. It didn't work here.

I agree with you 100%. Is this team competitive? Sure it is. We lost 9 games by 8 points or less. Not bad in my estimation for a team made up of mostly freshman and sophomores.

The fact that we are 7 years in and made up mostly of freshman and sophomores is the problem.

It's time for a change, when you take into consideration that he had a losing B1G record last year it takes a bit of a bite out of the NCAA win. It's the whole body of work and it has been atrociously bad, this collapse is the last straw for me.
Which collapse?? Sorry, couldn't resist..

The fact that we are 7 years in and made up mostly of freshman and sophomores is the problem.
Coffey would have been a senior. Curry if available would have been a junior. With those two the roster balance would have been fine.

Next year they will be sophomores and juniors with new freshman coming in. Seems like things are moving in the right direction

My recommendation to cure MY malaise is for you to pack YOUR bags, and find another also-ran to mindlessly support. You, and those like you who cant even conceive of a successful men's basketball program at the University of Minnesota are a huge reason we dont have one.

GTFO.
You're seriously going to blame a poster on GH for our basketball team sucking? Do you know how dumb you sound right now?

He may be a great guy but that and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee. I don't know how he runs his practices as I've never attended but his teams are underachievers. After 7 years, we should be seeing more. AND he needs to get some Minnesota recruits to stay home. He doesn't have to get them all, but he should get 1 or maybe 2 a year. He has failed miserably at this. A new coach needs to understand that Minnesota has turned into a hotbed of high school basketball talent that he will need to tap into it. The elephant in the room is the fact that Pitino has NOT been able to do that. I don't know if it is his relationship, or lack thereof, with the high school coaches in the state, or if it's his relationship with his players, but something is going on that nobody is talking about. His players look like they don't have any interest in playing for him. Contrast that with what is going on in the football program - "night and day". Again, this is just my perception as a fan. I definitely think a change is needed and my bet is that Coyle already has a "hit list" of possible hires come the end of March. If not, it's going to be a long next couple of years.

He may be a great guy but that and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee. I don't know how he runs his practices as I've never attended but his teams are underachievers. After 7 years, we should be seeing more. AND he needs to get some Minnesota recruits to stay home. He doesn't have to get them all, but he should get 1 or maybe 2 a year. He has failed miserably at this. A new coach needs to understand that Minnesota has turned into a hotbed of high school basketball talent that he will need to tap into it. The elephant in the room is the fact that Pitino has NOT been able to do that. I don't know if it is his relationship, or lack thereof, with the high school coaches in the state, or if it's his relationship with his players, but something is going on that nobody is talking about. His players look like they don't have any interest in playing for him. Contrast that with what is going on in the football program - "night and day". Again, this is just my perception as a fan. I definitely think a change is needed and my bet is that Coyle already has a "hit list" of possible hires come the end of March. If not, it's going to be a long next couple of years.
Are his teams underachieving or did he do a poor job of recruiting?
His players don't look like they want to play for him? I beg to differ. They have played extremely hard for him and I have not seen an ounce of give up in them.
I will say this, he has not recruited enough good players to get through the injuries, transfers and early exits for the pros that do happen in college basketball. I think he is getting better but it may be too little too late.

His players don't look like they want to play for him? I beg to differ. They have played extremely hard for him and I have not seen an ounce of give up in them.
I will say this, he has not recruited enough good players to get through the injuries, transfers and early exits for the pros that do happen in college basketball. I think he is getting better but it may be too little too late.

I agree that it seems this year the team does play hard on the defensive end. I don't know if its true or not but I heard a rumor that one of the first things he did when he arrived on campus was that he alienated the HS coaches association so that could be a reason. I'm in HS gyms all winter and I rarely see him or any staff member. Not sure if that means anything or not...

Like a lot of others on here, I like and supported Pitino. But the rebuilding excuses must stop. It's year 7.

Chris Beard took over for Tubby at Texas Tech and they went to an Elite Eight in year 2, and were in the championship game in year 3. He is now in a rebuilding year in year 4, with a young team, but they will still likely be in the NCAA tournament. With what they return, they will likely be a preseason top 10 team next season.

It's not any easier to build a program at Texas Tech than it is in Minnesota. It should be easier in Minnesota, with the talent in this area, and our upgraded facilities. This years Gophers have enough talent to be in the NCAA tournament. This is not good enough and Pitino has been given more than enough time. It's time for a change.

[/QUOTE]
Quite possibly both...

Wisconsin played less than us last night.
Really the same because we had two guys split what their 8th guy played and got the same production. One game does not make a season. Our team falls apart down the stretch. Not sure what the reasons are.

My recommendation to cure your incurable malaise: identify and support a college team that, you know, has a history of winning. Quit expecting the chubby kid to win the 100m race. Ain't gonna happen.
That may be true but it wasn't long ago that the chubby kid was Duke and Gonzaga. You find the right coach and things change. Enjoy the rest of this losing season.

Really the same because we had two guys split what their 8th guy played and got the same production. One game does not make a season. Our team falls apart down the stretch. Not sure what the reasons are.

Yeah the depth this is almost impossible in todays games imo. On a Rob Dauster podcast this week he was praising Wright for only have 9 eligible guys and having open scholarships and transfers so that all his guys are happy. Musselman has came out and said it too. Now I do wish Tre Williams and Jarvis would give us more or had Pitino's trust to play more, but that's earned.

As far as the team falling apart down the stretch, it's one of the major reasons why I've finally jumped off the boat. My requirements this year were to see improvement on the defensive side of the ball (little has been seen, but not much) so that's a no imo, recruit with more of a purpose (I say yes to this one), and win more games in the conference (a no). So I'm out.

So if oturo comes out and say he will come back if Pitino stays, gone if he gets fired? what is your opinion.
Fire his ass. Not firing a known loser because a player says he will play 1 more season?

How is that even a question?

Fire his ass. Not firing a known loser because a player says he will play 1 more season?

Depends who we replace him with. Could have a very good team next year if Oturu comes back.

Depends who we replace him with. Could have a very good team next year if Oturu comes back.
Emphasis on “could”. In other threads there has been discussions on his almost non starter on kids from the AAU system. That to me is a huge red flag. Those are some of the best ballers in the state and he can’t get in the front door even if he kicked it down. I’ve been a fan going on 40+ years. This program has the facilities, the fan base, etc, there is no reason it should not perform better than it does. If you people are satisfied with it, I’m not sure what to say to you. The conference record tells me all I need to know, it is time for new blood and a new direction.

Emphasis on “could”. In other threads there has been discussions on his almost non starter on kids from the AAU system. That to me is a huge red flag. Those are some of the best ballers in the state and he can’t get in the front door even if he kicked it down. I’ve been a fan going on 40+ years. This program has the facilities, the fan base, etc, there is no reason it should not perform better than it does. If you people are satisfied with it, I’m not sure what to say to you. The conference record tells me all I need to know, it is time for new blood and a new direction.
I'm sick of the narrative that people on this board are okay with our current level of success. Literally NOBODY is happy with how our program is performing. However, I personally think if we get Walton to commit Pitino should get an 8th-year. The 2020 class could very well be in the discussion for Pitino's best during his tenure here. Pump the brakes a little is all I'm saying.

here is all that needs be considered

unable to exceed performance of past coaches with perceived shortcomings
  1. Monson - picking up the pieces recovering from one of the worst scandals in history; did just as well as the current coach.
  2. Tubby - gave a half-hearted effort; outperformed the current coach (5/6 seasons with 20 wins; 2 NCAA bids; 1 NCAA win)
Current Coach resume
  1. only 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years
  2. 2020 bracket projects 10 bids for a conference named the Big 10 and we are not one of them (likely to miss NIT also)
  3. unable to field a usable full roster after 7 seasons of recruiting (no backup PG)
  4. poor recruiting of local talent (including poor reputation)
  5. 3 wasted scholarships on current roster that coach doesn't trust to play (Hurt, Greenlee, Freeman)
  6. excuse computer in constant overdrive (we are so young, better shooters than we show, injuries, early-departures, etc)
easy decision to move on

I keep seeing people saying that next year will be better, and I don't see it.

Ihnen has shown some flashes of ability, but he has a long way to go to be a complete player. Freeman may have some potential - hard to tell in the limited minutes he has played. I think Tre Williams has room to improve. Carr and Willis are what they are - both are three years into their careers. Omersa - is what he is. energy guy who can't score and gets in foul trouble. Kalscheur is a question mark - does he get back to shooting the way he did as a FR, or more of what we saw this year. Curry - who knows? Maybe he helps - maybe not.

If Oturu comes back, then maybe they have a chance to be better. If Oturu does not come back, I cannot see any scenario where this team improves.

Sure, maybe the recruits will jump right into the rotation and produce. But you can't count on that. with all due respect, I think Pitino tends to over-sell his recruits. Which makes me suspicious of how much they'll be able to contribute.

I'm sick of the narrative that people on this board are okay with our current level of success. Literally NOBODY is happy with how our program is performing. However, I personally think if we get Walton to commit Pitino should get an 8th-year. The 2020 class could very well be in the discussion for Pitino's best during his tenure here. Pump the brakes a little is all I'm saying.
LOL. You're not happy, but you want more of it.

You sir, are part of the problem here.

Dreaming here: Mark Few would be nice and it would tick off Mr. Suggs

I keep seeing people saying that next year will be better, and I don't see it.

Ihnen has shown some flashes of ability, but he has a long way to go to be a complete player. Freeman may have some potential - hard to tell in the limited minutes he has played. I think Tre Williams has room to improve. Carr and Willis are what they are - both are three years into their careers. Omersa - is what he is. energy guy who can't score and gets in foul trouble. Kalscheur is a question mark - does he get back to shooting the way he did as a FR, or more of what we saw this year. Curry - who knows? Maybe he helps - maybe not.

If Oturu comes back, then maybe they have a chance to be better. If Oturu does not come back, I cannot see any scenario where this team improves.

Sure, maybe the recruits will jump right into the rotation and produce. But you can't count on that. with all due respect, I think Pitino tends to over-sell his recruits. Which makes me suspicious of how much they'll be able to contribute.
I doubt Oturu comes back but there is zero doubt in my mind that we would be better next year if he returns. I honestly have no idea how anyone could think differently unless you are thinking that the loss of Hurt and Demir is going to be earthshaking.

I agree I don't understand that point. I get the argument it just isn't a good one.

LOL. You're not happy, but you want more of it.

You sir, are part of the problem here.
Hiring Craig Smith or whoever the f*ck you want would not make us better next year. We would lose Mashburn Jr. as well. And if the new coach doesn't start winning B1G titles in 3-4 years you'll be calling for his head too and we'll be back to square one.

You're the same dude blaming GopherHole posters for our team being subpar but I guess you know what's best for this program huh? ?

Hiring Craig Smith or whoever the f*ck you want would not make us better next year. We would lose Mashburn Jr. as well. And if the new coach doesn't start winning B1G titles in 3-4 years you'll be calling for his head too and we'll be back to square one.

You're the same dude blaming GopherHole posters for our team being subpar but I guess you know what's best for this program huh? ?

With the world or transfers this isn't necessarily true. Maybe some come with him from Utah State and we don't have a mass exodus? Either way it's not a guarantee except for USAF having an issue or only being around when things are going bad.

Lil' Ricky has shown to be a really bad bench X/O coach. Among the worst in the country from what i've seen. That's my biggest criticism.

Top Bottom