I still support Pitino.

Good for you. He is a good man and a good coach who will succeed somewhere if not here. I think he is in serious trouble here, as he has not gotten it done yet, but I 100% support him.
If he is back I believe he can get the job done. If not, I will be hopeful that the next guy does and I'll be 100% behind him as well. We all want to win.

I don’t wish him any ill will, he seems like a good guy, he’s probably got his best coaching staff since he’s been there. Keeping him wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I really don’t see him taking a big leap forward anytime soon either. I’d prefer they cut ties and give someone else a shot.

Ive been on board with pitino since he was hired. This year looked like a rebuilding year with a team that was framed as a much better shooting team. a difficult schedule to start the season was not ideal with 7 new players. Pitinos teams have historically improved as the season has progressed leading to a lot of optimism early in the btn slate when they had a couple upset victories. This team did not improve as season progressed. Due to the lack of player development we had no consistent help from the bench. The shooting has been woeful for a team that was framed as much improved. We have 3 sophomore players play the majority of game minutes and the pressure was on them to perform all game ,every game. Teams focused on them and wore them down in my opinion and that caused the late game issues.

Pitino does have a BTN coach year and one btn season above .500 Out of 7

Next year looks promising with everyone back with one big caveat named Oturu.

there is one scholarship banked - maybe a center/ power forward grad transfer?

if Pitino goes I’m OK with it, if he is given another year I hope there’s a miracle and Oturu stays.

He's a good guy, but anyone who is arguing he is a good coach is completely lost.

I don't like him as a coach and I don't understand why so many think he's a great guy. I think he was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple. He also treated multiple players like shit over the years for no really good reason.

Pitino does seem like a pleasant person and never throws his players under the bus but his BIG W/L during his time here for multiple reasons has been dismal.
If MN is OK with mediocre teams and a gym rarely filled keep him.
The problem as always is the position attractive and where are the $$?
Those are the reasons MN got a very young coach with minimal HC experience.

I don't like him as a coach and I don't understand why so many think he's a great guy. I think he was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple. He also treated multiple players like shit over the years for no really good reason.

I can't really think of any players he has treated like shit.

I also don't blame someone for being born on third base, he's fortunate in life but I am not going to hold that against someone.

Good for you. He is a good man and a good coach who will succeed somewhere if not here. I think he is in serious trouble here, as he has not gotten it done yet, but I 100% support him.
If he is back I believe he can get the job done. If not, I will be hopeful that the next guy does and I'll be 100% behind him as well. We all want to win.
He might be a good man. Appears to be, at least. But he's not a good coach, and He's not getting another D1 head coach job.

He's not getting another D1 head coach job.

I'm ready to move on but you're incredibly wrong on this. He may not get another P5 job, but if wants to coach at a mid major he absolutely will get hired somewhere. I'd actually be suprised if he doesn't make the tourney at some point in his career at some smaller school and conference .

I can't really think of any players he has treated like shit.

I see both sides of this. I can name 1 guy I think he treated like crap or unfairly, however you want to frame it. Elliott Eliason.

To counter that, I respect Pitino for not running off 3 guys who received 12 years of scholarships (Konate, Diedhiou, Hurt), and basically were never Big Ten players, though Bakary had a few decent moments. A lot of coaches would’ve run them off after realizing their mistake(s).

But along with that, that’s why IMO his biggest issue has been roster management. Speaking strictly on the basketball (read: business) side of things, that’s 12 years of wasted scholarships on guys who absolutely at best were # 9 or #10 guys in the rotation. That has limited the roster so much, and even more so when you throw in injuries (esp. Curry) and an early departure (Coffey) that caught you off guard.

Why don't people believe what their own eyes see?
Because it is natural to believe what you want instead of what is. People pick the safest,fastest way of feeling safe. Makes them feel safe to say he is a great guy without actually ever meeting him, that he is a really good coach with 7 years of mediocrity and that it will get better. The last part is true but that part is pretty low. I do think he will be back and i will support him if his is but a know several large boosters who are done with it.

Just remember there are two sides to player coach relationships. If the player is unwilling to be coached, is listening to dad or his AAU coach versus his team’s coach, has discipline issues that aren’t public, has an attitude that’s toxic to most everybody etc etc
The guy who often takes the hit is the coach.

Just remember there are two sides to player coach relationships. If the player is unwilling to be coached, is listening to dad or his AAU coach versus his team’s coach, has discipline issues that aren’t public, has an attitude that’s toxic to most everybody etc etc
The guy who often takes the hit is the coach.
All true. How he treats people is not my concern, how he runs a practice and how he teaches are.

Wow... you got anger issues

Pitino’s coaching tenure is similar to leidner at qb. Avg at best.

47-80 is pretty far below average.
Yeah agreed but Coyle is certainly not worried about the career record. He's worried about where he thinks this program is now and in the future. Pitino has shown that he is a very mediocre coach the last few seasons. I am very confident that if we rolled with him for the next few years, you'd have similar results to this season. A game or two under .500 with the occasional blip of 12 wins. That's not good enough. Pitino may have been terrible early on, but he is average/mediocre now.

I still support the coach and the team and leave any decisions to the AD. There are plenty of other threads for those of you who don’t care for Pitino to post so why not leave this thread alone. I get tired of reading your broken record comments.

He’ll be fine after we move on.
I worry about what is best for the program. Pitino is building with a young team and has promising incoming talent. After a coach reset, I feel it is unlikely the next coach would ever get back to where we are now. A one year absence from winning an NCAA tournament game is not a big deal with such a young team. I think disappointment that we lost some close games with a young team is being confused with underachievement and bad coaching.

I still support the coach and the team and leave any decisions to the AD. There are plenty of other threads for those of you who don’t care for Pitino to post so why not leave this thread alone. I get tired of reading your broken record comments.
Do not read them, skip them or block them. I blocked one particular poster and it made the board a thousand times more enjoyable.

I worry about what is best for the program. Pitino is building with a young team and has promising incoming talent. After a coach reset, I feel it is unlikely the next coach would ever get back to where we are now. A one year absence from winning an NCAA tournament game is not a big deal with such a young team. I think disappointment that we lost some close games with a young team is being confused with underachievement and bad coaching.
You’re worried that a a new coach won’t get the program back to where it is now?

The program is at 47-80 within the conference. Pitino has had 7 years to build and that is what he has achieved. A new coach isn’t going to have a problem getting the program back to where it’s at now.

I wonder how many college coaches in the history of basketball, have had a bad losing conference record (47-80) over 7 years, and then turned the program into a winning program? I would guess zero. This has been a 7 year sample size, and this is what you get with Pitino. If the administration likes where the program is, then keep him. But you can't expect different results in the future, by keeping him.

Top Bottom