I don’t agree with Fleck “We got closer, and you’ve got to get closer before you can get over it."

People get worked up about what the coach says or doesn’t say. I don’t care about any of that. I focus on what they do or don’t do. Do the themes of this season stick with Fleck going forward, or can the young coach grow and make improvements and build this program up?

More excuses to appease a disappointed fan base.

Fleck must think Gopher fans are idiots who would believe that drivel.

Newsflash, coach. Only the apologists will buy it.

People get worked up about what the coach says or doesn’t say. I don’t care about any of that. I focus on what they do or don’t do. Do the themes of this season stick with Fleck going forward, or can the young coach grow and make improvements and build this program up?
Young coach? He's been a head coach for 9 seasons. He should probably be all grown up by now.

It was a good game, we simply didn't have the horses to win.

I don't know if anyone really wants to understand the context of what he might mean by this.
But if you are going to play in a lot of games with Iowa, and many are 22-27 with lead changes, you're going to win some of those over time.

If you are going to fall behind by 2-3 TD's every time you play a team, then you probably are going to lose the majority of those games and may never win any.

Yeh, losing to IA for whatever number straight years is not the result you want, but the fact you physically matched up with Iowa for the first time, and that your talent levels across the roster are probably as similar as they've been in 10 years, is a good thing and is a step in the right direction.

Still think the QB / OC needs a second look however.

I don't know if anyone really wants to understand the context of what he might mean by this.
But if you are going to play in a lot of games with Iowa, and many are 22-27 with lead changes, you're going to win some of those over time.

If you are going to fall behind by 2-3 TD's every time you play a team, then you probably are going to lose the majority of those games and may never win any.

Yeh, losing to IA for whatever number straight years is not the result you want, but the fact you physically matched up with Iowa for the first time, and that your talent levels across the roster are probably as similar as they've been in 10 years, is a good thing and is a step in the right direction.

Still think the QB / OC needs a second look however.

Iowa's offensive line is young, specifically the tackles. Iowa played their back up quarterback. Iowa's entire team is young.

Did you watch gap blocking?

Being close was a function of Iowa's inexperience, and possibly lack of talent upfront more than Minnesota's improvement.

Fleck inherited a 9-4 team, and if go 2-1 (won’t beat WI unless Fleck dramatically changes things), the best you can say he has done in five years is hold serve, barely. He has not dramatically improved the program as he likes to tell us. He won in 2019, and that’s great. He capitalized on talent he inherited, and added talent to that. Now, we will end this year most likely 8-5 or 7-6. We are in the same place we were, at best, as we have had two awful losses this year and the West is mediocre at best. Which direction does he go now? Will be interesting to see if he is willing to make changes.

When Kirk Ferentz and Jerry Kill both throw shade, there is fire in all that smoke.

Hey Fleck, Minnesota beat Iowa 3 of the 7 seasons before you got here. We've gotten further away from beating Iowa since you arrived. 1-8 in Rivalry games since you got here? About to be 1-9, and after 5 seasons you say we are getting closer? What happened to you, who stole your swagger? You are currently a shell of the guy we hired. No longer acceptable to say we are getting there. You are in year 5.

Aristotle said, of motion, that before one gets to a destination, one must get halfway there. Zeno pointed out the paradox of this incrementalism = progress. If you get half way there, you are at a new starting point; if you get halfway there again, you are 3/4s of the way to the goal; if you get halfway there again, you are 7/8s of the way to your goal; if you get halfway there again, you 15/16s of the way to your goal. The paradox is that you never actually get there in half measures. You have to forget incremental steps and make a leap forward. You need to approach such a task by charging forward boldly, not gingerly; aggressively, not conservatively. Or you will keep getting closer but never reach the goal.

When Kirk Ferentz and Jerry Kill both throw shade, there is fire in all that smoke.
I think we all know PJ Fleck will rub some people the wrong way.

I like him as our coach, I'd hate to be like on a couple's vacation with him and his wife.

I think we all know PJ Fleck will rub some people the wrong way.

I like him as our coach, I'd hate to be like on a couple's vacation with him and his wife.
On the recruiting trail, he's been rumored to do some pretty low class things. When I say "rumored", it's more than rumored.

It could get uglier. We lose a lot of guys. PJ told us This Is The Year, almost preparing us for an off year next year. Now that the dream team is setup to go 6-6 or 7 and 5….what will next year look like?

Only way I see we could hope to get to the same level or higher next year we are at now is a new and much improved OC and/or vastly superior QB play. And maybe some of the OLine guys return for yet another season.

I believe we need Callahan, Rossi and Simon to stay or we’re in bigger trouble.
Not a lot of money to entice asst coaches to stay, especially when the big dog is at $5 million. Worries me how much loyalty there’ll be with a mediocre season.
Losing/under performing consistently doesn’t look good on resumes. Could be three years in a row.

This is on the same level as after the BG game he said something like "Oh, well we're missing starters and all conference running back" as if that was a good excuse for losing to BG.

This is on the same level as after the BG game he said something like "Oh, well we're missing starters and all conference running back" as if that was a good excuse for losing to BG.
Bowling Green got blown out at home yesterday by Toledo. the Toledo Rockets scored 50 points on them.

I mean WTF?

Arizona got closer to Utah. Reason for optimism in Tucson.............

Fleck inherited a 9-4 team, and if go 2-1 (won’t beat WI unless Fleck dramatically changes things), the best you can say he has done in five years is hold serve, barely. He has not dramatically improved the program as he likes to tell us. He won in 2019, and that’s great. He capitalized on talent he inherited, and added talent to that. Now, we will end this year most likely 8-5 or 7-6. We are in the same place we were, at best, as we have had two awful losses this year and the West is mediocre at best. Which direction does he go now? Will be interesting to see if he is willing to make changes.

No, he didn't.

It could get uglier. We lose a lot of guys. PJ told us This Is The Year, almost preparing us for an off year next year. Now that the dream team is setup to go 6-6 or 7 and 5….what will next year look like?

Only way I see we could hope to get to the same level or higher next year we are at now is a new and much improved OC and/or vastly superior QB play. And maybe some of the OLine guys return for yet another season.

I believe we need Callahan, Rossi and Simon to stay or we’re in bigger trouble.
Not a lot of money to entice asst coaches to stay, especially when the big dog is at $5 million. Worries me how much loyalty there’ll be with a mediocre season.
Losing/under performing consistently doesn’t look good on resumes. Could be three years in a row.

The Gophers return more than enough to contend for the west next season.

Top Bottom