How to measure success

He's shown he can recruit. He's not really shown he can coach (and I blame Thorson on this as well especially for the defense.) We need to see on-court progress as well or the recruiting won't save you. If we go 0-20 and get blown out in 17 of them, "wait til you see next year's recruits" will become completely hollow.

Recruit !!!
I'm not sure about that, everyone talks highly of every 1st year recruit a coach brings in, I'll wait a year to see how they buy in to the system , whatever that is in year 2.

They say some players never even met with the new staff.
Wonder if "They" specify which players "They" are talking about and who's choice was it to not meet with the new staff.

I bring up the second point because I recently talked to a female player locally that transferred. The coach that recruited her left for a new job at a higher level. The player never bothered to meet with the new coaching staff. She'd played her freshman and sophomore seasons (starter) at her hometown school (play-off team) and when the coach left, she decided she wanted to try a new school away from home. The team she chose included a high school friend of hers, who said the environment was nurturing and the coach was good to play for. She's thriving with her new team.

She never gave the new staff at her old school a chance to meet with her to try and convince her to stay. I'm sure some of the old school's fans are wondering how the new coach could let one of the teams best players leave with-out even talking to her! The player made the call and never gave the new staff a shot.

According to 24/7, Gabe entered the portal on 4/1. CBJ was officially named coach on 3/21. It’s possible he had already determined he was leaving and told CBJ that. But at least from this information, he left a week and a half after CBJ took over. That one was pretty damning to me, as he left a guy that had recruited him out of HS, as well as his former HS coach to go to a place that was well closer to rock bottom than MN was when he left. Both places he would have gotten plenty of playing time. We can debate whether Gabe would have translated to additional wins last year and this year, but that was the first thing (after the initial hiring which surprised me) that raised the red flag with me. Just from a narrative/appearances standpoint, it didn’t engender a ton of confidence given the history between CBJ/Thorson and Gabe. At a minimum, you had to ask, “does Gabe know something we don’t”?
Gabe left because he was tired of the criticism here constantly about his shooting. He wanted to get away and try to enjoy the game again as he was mentally shot his last year here. The fact that Ben/Thorson got hired here was the only reason he almost considered coming back. I know this one from people who talked directly to Gabe.

Gabe left because he was tired of the criticism here constantly about his shooting. He wanted to get away and try to enjoy the game again as he was mentally shot his last year here. The fact that Ben/Thorson got hired here was the only reason he almost considered coming back. I know this one from people who talked directly to Gabe.
Criticism from who? Fans?

I would guess there was a fair amount of criticism from isu fans last year as well.

Last edited:

Criticism from who? Fans?

I would guess there was a fair amount of criticism from isu fans last year as well.
When you win more and a fan base appreciated your defense it’s different. Also different when it’s not your hometown and your family doesn’t need to deal with it daily.

According to 24/7, Gabe entered the portal on 4/1. CBJ was officially named coach on 3/21. It’s possible he had already determined he was leaving and told CBJ that. But at least from this information, he left a week and a half after CBJ took over. That one was pretty damning to me, as he left a guy that had recruited him out of HS, as well as his former HS coach to go to a place that was well closer to rock bottom than MN was when he left. Both places he would have gotten plenty of playing time. We can debate whether Gabe would have translated to additional wins last year and this year, but that was the first thing (after the initial hiring which surprised me) that raised the red flag with me. Just from a narrative/appearances standpoint, it didn’t engender a ton of confidence given the history between CBJ/Thorson and Gabe. At a minimum, you had to ask, “does Gabe know something we don’t”?
There could have been multiple reasons for Gabe leaving that had nothing to do with CBJ.

It’s all conjecture at this point and based on the results, Gabe did what was best for Him - He improved it - Bully for him!

When you win more and a fan base appreciated your defense it’s different. Also different when it’s not your hometown and your family doesn’t need to deal with it daily.
So Mn fan base didn't appreciate his defensive skills? Don't buy that for a minute. His defense was discussed here as nauseum. In a very positive light.

Hope he has thicker skin than what you suggest. Life can be a real bitch at times.

So Mn fan base didn't appreciate his defensive skills? Don't buy that for a minute. His defense was discussed here as nauseum. In a very positive light.
He got blamed a ton for losses because of his shooting woes. There’s more to it than gopherhole.
Hope he has thicker skin than what you suggest. Life can be a real bitch at times.
He has plenty thick skin. He just saw an opportunity for something different and away from media and other types having to continually read negative crap written or being said about him. You’re doing a good job of proving the point by calling him thin skinned. Guy came here, overachieved his ranking, and was a solid teammate (unlike Carr and some others who were about themselves). A player leaving for a more positive situation isn’t being soft or thin skinned, many times it’s just smart

He got blamed a ton for losses because of his shooting woes. There’s more to it than gopherhole.

He has plenty thick skin. He just saw an opportunity for something different and away from media and other types having to continually read negative crap written or being said about him. You’re doing a good job of proving the point by calling him thin skinned. Guy came here, overachieved his ranking, and was a solid teammate (unlike Carr and some others who were about themselves). A player leaving for a more positive situation isn’t being soft or thin skinned, many times it’s just smart
Life can get tough at times, even whilst in college. His choice, for sure. Good for him.

A lot of times you can't run away from challenges. He could. This time.

Overall goal:

Go at least 10-10 in making games competitive (6 points or less under 16:00).

Go at least 7-13 in making games a coin flip (3 points or less under 5:00). Win at least 2 B1G games.
The Northwestern and Rutgers games were both blowouts. Now 5-6, 5-6, 1-10

I think Ben deserves an additional .5 years for each 30pt+ blowout.

He got a raise last year. I can only believe that Coyle is leaving within 6 mos and is derping everything

Overall goal:

Go at least 7-13 in making games a coin flip (3 points or less under 5:00). Win at least 2 B1G games.
The Iowa game was within 6 at 16:00 at least.

Now 6-7, 5-8, 1-12.

Overall goal:

Double moral victory against PSU.

Now 7-7, 6-8, 1-13.

"Moral victories" in general. Bah. AKA "losses."

"Moral victory", against PENN STATE FFS, at home....pathetic.

Reactions: MRJ

Overall goal:

No moral victories against Illinois.

Now 7-8, 6-9, 1-14.

Overall goal:

Another embarrassing and not close loss to Maryland. Even these low bars might be too high.

Now 7-9, 6-10, 1-15.

Overall goal:

Full victory against Rutgers after partial moral victory vs. Nebraska.

Now 9-9, 7-11, 2-16.

Last edited:

Overall goal:

Double moral victory against Wisconsin, but sadly, no 3rd win.

Final tally: 10-9, 8-11, 2-17. The bars were very low, but they did hit all 3 of them.

Top Bottom