How serious of a canidate will Glen Mason be for OSU?

I don't expect any changes to the coaching staff for this 2011 season. However as more allegations and more dirty laundry is aired the next few months concerning THE OSU program, do any big name coaches want to take on a program that perhaps has not bottomed out?

I believe Glen Mason is one person they would love to take over. He is an OSU grad, ex-asst coach, has run clean programs, and is still respected bu OSU fans. If he did accect it, he should do so for nothing under 5 year contract. I feel he will be a candidate if he is indeed interested.

I can't believe all of the boosters of Mike Leach are not boosting him for this job.

Maybe Paul Chryst and Marc Trestman will become candidates.

If Tressel wants to coach FB again, he probably better go the route of Carroll for a few years as an Assistant in the NFL. At least until everything gets addressed and settled. Then he might want to coach some sort of Mid-level or lower division school. I have trouble seeing any of the Helmet schools even taking a chance on bringing him in.

personally I suspect he is going to try and discover a life outside of football.

The creeps, jerks and slugs that inhabit William's Arena couldn't understand the incredible tax and penalties that made it impossible to compete during the first five or six years after the haskin's scandal and what a vulnerable position the hoops program at the U was still in after 7...8...9...10 years after haskins did his deed how the heck do you people think anyone will ever survive the "caretaking gig" with Ohio State Football?????????? Man, those people who inhabit the Horseshoe are crazy, rabid and will ONLY tolerate winning and winning BIG. If you throw some new nobody in there, he won't last two seasons. And, I have a hunch that the first couple seasons post tressel won't be too bad for the Buckeyes. I think they will still beat MOST Big Ten teams in 2011 and maybe into 2012.

BUT, it is going to take two to three years most likely for the NCAA to even make a ruling. I look for Ohio State to plead guilty as early and as often as they can and believe they will try to go the "self-imposed" ban on post-season play, maybe a few token scholarship losses, etc. They will want get started so it doesn't hold things up. No big name coach wants to screw their record in an impossible situation. THE osu fans can be nasty.

Being tOSU announced the interim coach for next season will be Luke Fickell, there is zero chance Mason will be considered. Mason would be 62 years of age when the following season starts and will have been out of coaching 5 years.

Unless there are allegations that Fickell was involved or he lays an egg as a coach, I'd be surprised if he isn't named the permanent coach during or shortly after the season. But tOSU has hired head coaches from other universities going back to Wes Fessler in the 1940's, so they may go after someone else's coach. But I can't imagine a scenario that Mason becomes coach.

+1

Bob, how young do you believe they might look at? Someone in their 40's?

I guess it depends. It will need to be determined how much a guy like Fickel knew, but even he could have a chance. He is an tOSU guy, Columbus native, and he might just be the exact kind of guy that is perfect for this type of situation. He is only 37.

I think the key factor in determining who their next coach is going to be is how far removed from Tressel are they wanting to get.

If they don't want anyone with any ties to Tressel, forget about Mark Dantonio (who would've been a nice pick), Fickel, possibly Mason (coached together at tOSU), even Urban Meyer coached with Tressel.

So I do wonder how far away from the Ohio State family they will be looking or if they will look for a good candidate within that circle of coaches.

My guess is that they will go after:
(1) Meyer
(2) Pelini (played at tOSU)
(3) Stoops (from Ohio)
(4) Patterson (great coach, start fresh without tOSU connections)
---
After that list i'd guess it comes down to how far removed they want to look. I think Fickel could make sense, Dantonio (might have too strong of ties to Tressel)

Hmm....brash statement when you consider.....

He won't. Next thread.

Everybody and his uncle wanted Mason before "sweater vest" except the AD. Mason has alot of big alumni from tOSU that like him. The great thing for Mason is he won't have to do much recruiting as the kids just flock to Ohio State. Give Mason the Ohio State type of recruits at Minnesota and he would have won the Big Ten and we would have gone to the Rose Bowl.

Take Meyer out.

I guess it depends. It will need to be determined how much a guy like Fickel knew, but even he could have a chance. He is an tOSU guy, Columbus native, and he might just be the exact kind of guy that is perfect for this type of situation. He is only 37.

I think the key factor in determining who their next coach is going to be is how far removed from Tressel are they wanting to get.

If they don't want anyone with any ties to Tressel, forget about Mark Dantonio (who would've been a nice pick), Fickel, possibly Mason (coached together at tOSU), even Urban Meyer coached with Tressel.

So I do wonder how far away from the Ohio State family they will be looking or if they will look for a good candidate within that circle of coaches.

(1) Meyer
(3) Stoops (from Ohio)
---
After that list i'd guess it comes down to how far removed they want to look. I think Fickel could make sense, Dantonio (might have too strong of ties to Tressel)

He has a bad ticker.

Glen Mason to OSU

Glen Mason really! Boy I bet that would get the Buckeye football faithful all charged up if they hired the football coach fired by Minnesota. Get real people!

Everybody and his uncle wanted Mason before "sweater vest" except the AD. Mason has alot of big alumni from tOSU that like him. The great thing for Mason is he won't have to do much recruiting as the kids just flock to Ohio State. Give Mason the Ohio State type of recruits at Minnesota and he would have won the Big Ten and we would have gone to the Rose Bowl.

It's a completely different world now than it was when tOSU hired Tressel.

Mason was only 51 when he was a candidate before Tressel. It was also before he had been unable to get over the hump at the U. He was a MUCH better candidate then then than he is now.

Think about it this way, could you imagine Dantonio being considered a high end coach in the year 2020 if the next few years consist of 20-28 Big 10 football and a couple years on the Big 10 network? And Mason never won at the same level of Dantonio to begin with.

There is really not a chance that Mason gets hired at tOSU.

(1) Meyer
(3) Stoops (from Ohio)
---

My cousin who writes for the Buckeye Planet says Tressel has been grooming Fickel to be the next OSU coach. He believes Fickel will be the next coach.

My cousin who writes for the Buckeye Planet says Tressel has been grooming Fickel to be the next OSU coach. He believes Fickel will be the next coach.

I can't believe they would go with an in-house candidate after all of this.

You're right Schlic Daddy

I can't believe they would go with an in-house candidate after all of this.

That whole staff will exit left. Just this morning on Sirus radio ( College Chalk Talk) Mason was mentioned as a viable candidate for all the reasons some of us have posted.

I doubt they go with a big name coach like Meyer, it will be someone like Mason an Ohio State guy or a younger guy who has been successfull at other levels. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Petersen.

How many are left from the Ohio State Coaching Tree...

That whole staff will exit left. Just this morning on Sirus radio ( College Chalk Talk) Mason was mentioned as a viable candidate for all the reasons some of us have posted.

Who actually DID play for Woody? Mason did. How many others, would anyone have an idea or could possibly name any others? I'm sure there must be some more besides Mason...but maybe not too many.

1) They should have hired him the first time. They obviously did not do a good job of checking out JT's record at Youngstown State, where there were issues.
2) He should be a candidate. He has a clean record and is a very good offensive football coach.
He will always look good and look like what most people think a head football coach should look like. For a program with national title aspirations, that is a big deal.
3) The issues he had here with defense can be solved with money at OSU, the player talent issue of lack of speed on d will never be an issue at OSU.
4) They can trust him, he won't cheat, he is a pretty tough guy and he has planty of ego to deal with the transition through sanctions.
5) Building enthusiasm for the program is not necessary in Columbus. He does not have to sell anything at that school, but I would guess he has learned a lot anyway, for one he got fired and attitude had more to do with it than field performance. I would guess he understands that now. He sells now professionally, and seems to do okay.
6) He would do it and prosper, despite the sanctions. He has experience in having to overcome disadvantages versus competition. Some of the other candidates for the job probably would not be willing to do it until they know what the penalties will be. One can say it is worth taking the job for the period after the sanctions, but that is easy to say when you are not the guy being graded every Saturday. Coaches lose their "MO" when they take a job with a lot of sanctions, the clock starts immediately, not two years after the sanctions are over as Lane K will find out at SC in about two years. OSU fans will still expect to win every Saturday.
7) I can't see how they can give the job to anybody on the current staff even on a temp basis and say they know they are changing the culture. The compliance guy has to go. He had to know there was more going on than they reported. He is either complicit or incompetent, or both.

Who actually DID play for Woody? Mason did. How many others, would anyone have an idea or could possibly name any others? I'm sure there must be some more besides Mason...but maybe not too many.

It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter whether someone played for Ohio St. (let alone Woody), but one active coach I can think of who did is Fred Pagac. There are probably others, but it is likely a very short list given that Woody was fired in 1978, meaning you'd have to be at least 51 years old to have ever played for him, and generally much older than that.

They need someone willing to work through whatever sanctions the NCAA will pop them with...Mason would actually be a descent candidate to get them through that. Otherwise not really concerned one way or another. If he does become there HC, no reason not to think his teams will not be similar to what he ran in MN. Maybe a little better athletes, but run game with porous defense.

Wrong. Unlike the situation at Minnesota, Mason would have plenty of 4 and 5 star talent on BOTH sides of the ball, and he would have a defensive coordinator who makes more than $130,000 / year.

Glen Mason really! Boy I bet that would get the Buckeye football faithful all charged up if they hired the football coach fired by Minnesota. Get real people!

So you are telling us that Minnesota was smart in firing Glen? Do you think football pundits outside Minnesota think firing Glen when we did was smart? Your underlying assumption is that decision makers at the University of Minnesota were clever and wise. Do you actually believe that?

So you are telling us that Minnesota was smart in firing Glen? Do you think football pundits outside Minnesota think firing Glen when we did was smart? Your underlying assumption is that decision makers at the University of Minnesota were clever and wise. Do you actually believe that?

Minnesota should have fired Mason a year earlier before giving him the final contract extension. The fact that Brewster didn't work out as his replacement changes nothing about the rationale for firing Mason.

The rest of the football world believes Minnesota should be satisfied with 6-6 records and trips to minor bowl games. Most Gopher fans have higher aspirations than that for their favorite football team.

The bottom line now is that the oppertunity with the new stadium was completely waisted so the firing of Mason was a mistake. We will never know how big of a mistake.

The bottom line now is that the oppertunity with the new stadium was completely waisted so the firing of Mason was a mistake. We will never know how big of a mistake.

No. That is a hiring issue, not a firing issue. Mason's time at Minnesota was done, there is no question. In fact, it should have been done a year or two earlier, when he was into full-on shutdown mode after being passed over for the OSU job. Just because Brewster was not the right hire to lead us into the new stadium does not mean that Mason should not have been fired. And yes, it is absolutely ridiculous and asinine that we're discussing this 4.5 years after the fact.

NO dopodoll: the firing of Mason has been a COMPLETE...

failure so far. The ONLY saving grace, at all would be IF Kill can bring the Gophers back at least to the level of Mason and then EXCEED Mason's Big Ten record. IF Kill can't do that, you people will drive him out in 3 or 4 years and YOU people will claim that Minnesota fans have higher expectations.

Well, fans: here is the deal. You can have ALL the expectations you want...but...IF you have to keep buying out contracts and bringing in new coaches to meet and exceed your expectations, and it doesn't happen...then you have been really stupid, out of touch with reality and you deserve to lose and lose and lose.

Believe me, I HOPE Kill can get the job done and get us back to at least the Mason level. But I will ONLY believe it when I see it. And IF we don't get there...and soon, it will be ALL because the "expectations" of the bunch that wanted Mason ditched were totally unrealistic and just drunken pipe dreams of people who tailgate too much and start thinking they they deserve more just because they stand around in their little groups, drink a hell of a lot, get smashed and think that some "savior" is going to "discover" this sleeping giant of the Big Ten Conference.

Given the Conference members, the fact that even the team on top of the Big Ten Conference cheats like hell and is institutionally our of control re; what they allow to go on in their football program...it is entirely possible that Glen Mason will be the best coach you people with all your expectations will EVER see in YOUR lifetimes.

Sometimes expectations can be nothing but a pile of crap and a bunch of b.s. You may think you deserve better, but, there are 11 other programs in the Big Ten who are going to kick you and your program upside the head any time and every time they can. It is damn hard to climb the rungs of success in the Big Ten Conference. the team on top is going to cheat and do everything to buy success that they can...and they have more money and more fans and more ability to cheat a heck of a lot better then your "expectations" for the U of M program will allow in the year 2006...2010...2030...

I'd say that you people and your stupid expectations messed up big time in 2007. I don't know how long it will take to even get back to where we were any more. We now know how much the teams ahead of us cheat...and...the conference just added Nebraska...virtually another Ohio State in so many regards.

Don't you people see? It starts with a drunken rant here and THEN A drunken rant THERE...it ALL ads up! Wren GETS LIQUORED up off WILD TURKEY and then RANTS and RAVES till he vomits all over the KEYBOARD. Don't pay ANY attention TO what he RANTS about BECAUSE he's so soaked in BOOZE that he's about to spontaneously COMBUST.

Human-Spontaneous-Combustion.jpg

it will be ALL because the "expectations" of the bunch that wanted Mason ditched were totally unrealistic and just drunken pipe dreams of people who tailgate too much and start thinking they they deserve more just because they stand around in their little groups, drink a hell of a lot, get smashed and think that some "savior" is going to "discover" this sleeping giant of the Big Ten Conference.

I have never tailgated in my life. I also drink very rarely (maybe once a month, three or four drinks per time on that occasion). What else you got?

In the post Mason era, that consists of four seasons, there have been 3 Big Ten home wins accomplished by brewster and one Big Ten home win accomplished by Coach Horton.

There were 3 Big Ten road wins accomplished by brewster and one Big Ten road win accomplished by Coach Horton.

Other than the 1 month that Coach Horton led the program, the post Mason era has been a TOTAL and COMPLETE bust.

I hope for the VERY best for Coach Kill. However, only time will tell. I have NO blind faith left for the football program run by this badger joel macturi caracter. So far, the three home Big Ten wins that TCF BANK STADIUM has been host to have been an incredible disappointment. That works out to 96 million per Big Ten win in that 288 million dollar stadium during it's first two years. Coach Kill will have the great opportunity to add to that home Big Ten win total in our beautiful new stadium. Nebraska, iowa, wisky and Illinois will be coming to call in Minneapolis in 2011. Which Big Ten games will the Gophers win at home in 2011? Zero would be a really big blow. One would help. Two would be outstanding. Three would be incredible. Four would bring our average cost per Big Ten win in TCF BANK STADIUM...lifetime down to 48 million per win! We really do need to average at least two Big Ten wins per year at home...and hopefully closer to three home Big Ten wins each year. This program under Mason averaged 2 Big Ten home wins per season for ten seasons. It will HAVE to win at least two home Big Ten games a season just to get to the Mason level. THAT has to be the minimum expectation, doesn't it expectation dudes and dudettes out there? Hell, Mason did that even playing in that stinking dome.

Wacker averaged 1.0 home Big Ten wins per season. Gutty averaged 1.67 Big Ten home wins (plus one tie.) hoax averaged 2.0 home Big Ten wins in his 2 Big Ten seasons. Salem averaged 0 home Big Ten wins in his two years in the dome and during his 3 seasons in MEMORIAL STADIUM, he averaged 2.33 home Big Ten wins per season. Stoll averaged 2.43 home Big Ten wins per season playing entirely at MEMORIAL STADIUM, outside and on campus.

So, playing all our games in TCF BANK STADIUM, outside and on campus, perhaps the minimum acceptable standard for home Big Ten wins per season should be around 2.5 home Big Ten wins per season! The home field advantage playing outside and ON campus in a beautiful stadium that should not allow the visiting team to half fill the stadium SHOULD be good for at least .5 home Big Ten wins per season...otherwise it was one mighty expensive little toy...

; 0 )

There we have the standard. Now, we shall see what we shall see. Good luck and best wishes to Coach Kill! Will that kind of a home Big Ten win increase translate to higer finishes within the Big Ten Conference and keep you people of such great and high "expectations" from wanting to ditch Coach Kill after a few seasons? What do you do if he doesn't average 2.5 Big Ten home wins per season? How about if he doesn't average 3.2 Big Ten wins per season? Certainly, he should be able to average two times as many home Big Ten wins as road Big Ten wins. IF he can make his home average, certainly his Big ten average should be at least 3.75 Big Ten wins per season! You know, that really would be a nice increase in total Big Ten wins over a ten year period of time...that would mean that he would win 37 Big Ten games in ten years! those extra five Big Ten wins MIGHT mean the difference in having a GREAT run some year. That 3.75 Big Ten wins per season looks like a pretty fair expectation...don't you people of high and mighty expectations think...

Will OSU and the other powers in the conference still be cheating as much as they have been for the past ten years? That will make a difference... When the best teams in the conference are running crooked programs, how the hell is a team that has struggled for decades supposed to make a run up in the standings? Mason almost made it, but you people of such exceedingly high expectations got rid of him. Welll, at least I got to watch ten decent years of Gopher Football in the process. I might die tomorrow...I'm getting older...BUT, on the other hand, my Dad has his 94th birthday a few months ago. Maybe I've got the genes to tack a few more birthdays on if I am lucky and will try to stick around as long as possible just to try to help keep the high expectations crowd in line...I'll let you know when and IF the administration around here EVER hires a coach who was as decent a coach as Mason...I really do hope Coach Kill can deliver the goods. I'll believe it AS I see it. I'll call it like it is... We HAVE to keep the pressure on...you know!!!!!

; 0 )

Best Picture Ever of Wren

The man is on fire! No wonder he babbles so much. He is just hoping to create enough wind with his tirades to put out the fire.

Wrong. Unlike the situation at Minnesota, Mason would have plenty of 4 and 5 star talent on BOTH sides of the ball, and he would have a defensive coordinator who makes more than $130,000 / year.

Lets wait to see what they look like after the punishment is issued...

BTW - I think they did a wise thing in having one of the assistants named as interim for the year, so long as that assistant is not tied to the scandal that is.

Top Bottom