Hot Music Takes!

Paul Simon is better than all those guys. Here he is making fun of them.

nope-dont-like-that.gif

Paul Simon is better than all those guys. Here he is making fun of them.

That really does not seem outlandish at all to consider Simon above any and all of them.

By coincidence, I listened to Graceland this weekend. What a brilliant piece of work.

A hot film take about a hot music take: Ishtar is actually a pretty good movie, and some of its best charm is the characters' devotion to Simon and Garfunkel and their mistaken belief that they can be the next Simon and Garfunkel.

With all due respect to REM, I think Jason Isbell & the 400 Units cover version of Nightswimming is better than the original.

I also really dig their version of Driver 8, but to say that one is better is a bridge too far.

In Utero is better than Nevermind.
I bought both of the remastered versions of these albums this spring. Having given both multiple re-listens, I stand by this statement.

With all due respect to REM, I think Jason Isbell & the 400 Units cover version of Nightswimming is better than the original.

I also really dig their version of Driver 8, but to say that one is better is a bridge too far.

Flaming hot take. This cover of Driver 8 is not good at all.. It pains me to say this because of how much I love Isbell but it absolutely sucks the drama from the song. In particular the absence of the arpeggio guitar during the transition from the chorus (the "but it's still a ways away" part) leaves this song...flaccid.

Flaming hot take. This cover of Driver 8 is not good at all.. It pains me to say this because of how much I love Isbell but it absolutely sucks the drama from the song. In particular the absence of the arpeggio guitar during the transition from the chorus (the "but it's still a ways away" part) leaves this song...flaccid.
Any other thoughts on Georgia Blue?

Overall I like it, but not as much as really any of his albums of original stuff. I was only familiar with about half the songs prior. The different guests (including Amanda) all are good, but kind of gives the album even more of a compilation feel than a regular studio album.

Any other thoughts on Georgia Blue?

Overall I like it, but not as much as really any of his albums of original stuff. I was only familiar with about half the songs prior. The different guests (including Amanda) all are good, but kind of gives the album even more of a compilation feel than a regular studio album.
Honestly, I need to really listen to it. I gave it a brief listen at work and then got sidetracked. Good reminder. I know he can do great covers when he quiets them down, as evidenced by this cover of GBV. First the original, then the cover. Edited to add something I came across another version I saw when linking to this. Kudos to the coolest choir teacher ever

The three greatest guitar solos ever are all by Richard Thompson and they are all in ONE SONG!

The three greatest guitar solos ever are all by Richard Thompson and they are all in ONE SONG!

The Hot Take portion isn't bestowing the best guitar solo to Richard Thompson. Jerusalem on the Jukebox does indeed shred.

Can't Win tops it, in my opinion.

In 1994 I was fortunate to get a comp ticket for his Mirror Blue tour at 1st Ave. No opener. 2 sets.

They played essentially the same version of the song in the YouTube clip. Solo was outer worldly.

I was really only familiar with that current album at the time and Shoot Out the Lights, plus whatever was on his tribute album. After it was over, walked out of that show transformed into huge fan.

Top Bottom