Hilarious SCum rumor on the MSU board

Reaction score
My brother is a Spartan alum, and he sent me this from the Spartantailgate board:

Ok guys, here's the scoop I heard today. As some of you know, my good friend has a close associate from his days with the Pistons who now works in the scUM athletic department.

Yesterday, the news I got to share with everyone was UM's potential interest in Glen Mason. Well, there is still smoke coming from the Mason story within UM circles. The word I am getting is that it is highly unlikely that Hoke gets this job. The emerging number one target is Les Miles (as I see is being discussed here already). However, Miles will not speak with scUM until after the bowl game Friday night - but it sounds like he will speak with them, which seems to make him a great possibility. Mason is quietly hanging in the wings, and if Miles is not hired, I would put my money on Mason before Hoke right now.

Now, as we learned from our recent coaching search, any post that starts out with "My good friend works at..." is almost certainly BS. And if these bozos insist on hiring a "Michigan Man", I really doubt they hand the reins to a guy who lettered under Woody Hayes. But it is possible that the Hoke and Miles factions in their power base cancel each other out. Not that Glen has a snowball's chance in hell. And given how crappy SCum's defense has been these past 3 years, Mason is the last guy you'd want rebuilding the team.

Geez. I wouldn't know what to do with Mason as head of Michigan. My heart is already overflowing with hatred for Iowa and Wisconsin. I've despised Nebraska for as long as I can remember, but old Mase might top all of those. He was a great offensive coach. Too bad he couldn't be bothered with the other essential duties of a college coach.

Man I wonder how many great michigan recruits get pushed away to MSU if he gets hired due to the fact that he only recruits ohio and low key in state kids? lol oh booooy!

If this ended up true would Mase try and use Michigan as a stepping stone to try and put himself in line for the Ohio State gig if Tressel ever left?

how well would that go in Ann Arbor to hire a coach that was fired from Minnesota? Would recruit better just because of the school, but was not a great recruiter to begin with and would take 3 years to turn the offense into his system. The defense this year was as bad as anything Brewster ever put out there and since that was not a strong point I think it would take 4 or 5 years to get 10 wins. Michigan will not be that patient.

May not be as far fetched as it sounds. Carr is a big Mason fan and copied his zone running scheme after getting beat in '05. He lost steam here (after year 7 or 8) but might find more motivation in a new job. He's a known quantity and could succeed at scUM.

how well would that go in Ann Arbor to hire a coach that was fired from Minnesota? Would recruit better just because of the school, but was not a great recruiter to begin with and would take 3 years to turn the offense into his system.

When Mason cares, he's a good coach and actually can recruit alright. I think he'd actually do decent at Michigan. But like you said, that's a bad look on Michigan's part. They'd be furious with that one lol.

I can already hear the compassion's to Bo. Both have tOSU ties, good run games, and strong def.... whoops that's where the comparison ends.

Well, the truth is that aside from the fact that he is too old, and the casual fans would go beserk, they could do a lot worse.

He probably would have them near the top fairly soon. With all the advantages Michigan has he would easily get much better players than he had at Minnesota, especially on Defense. We all know his staff could develope offensive linemen and create huge numbers.

The running game took care of itself and created huge opportunities for big pass plays. At Michigan he would be able to get a top receivers, but even at Minnesota Wheelwright, Logan Payne, Ellerson and others put up better numbers than receivers of the Brewster era other than Decker ever did.

At Michigan, if he found a decent D co-cordinator and kept him on board he would compete for the title very soon.

He was close at Minnesota a few times with much less going for the program relative to Michigan. With the talent and advantages Michigan will always have, an overwhelming running game, combined with elite receivers will get you in competion for the Big Ten title with a so so defense. If your defense becomes very good, then anything is possible, even for Glen Mason.

When Mason cares, he's a good coach and actually can recruit alright.

Agreed and this is why I felt Mason had to go at Minnesota. I believed he still cared (some), but it sure didn't look like it from the outside. He just didn't appear motivated and if you're getting over a million dollars a year, you can afford a few lessons from charm school.

He might do alright at Michigan, but it would be a PR nightmare for the Wolverines.

Now it would seem that Michigan is hiring a search firm. That reeks of Brandon thinking Harbaugh was in the bag and having literally no back-up plan. It seems a little late to be just hiring the firm?

Now it would seem that Michigan is hiring a search firm. That reeks of Brandon thinking Harbaugh was in the bag and having literally no back-up plan.

I would say it more likely reflects a missed judgement on the interest level of Les Miles rather than Harbaugh.

It would actually be a good hire, but the AD might not make it to his 1st game alive. The reality is Mason hasn't coached in 4 years and was fired by one of the worst programs in the conference. That would go over like a lead balloon if there ever was one. But Mason's main flaw was he didn't like to work very hard at recruiting. At Michigan, you don't have to. I think he would win big there.

For Michigan, Hiring a search firm pretty much assures that if they don't have a top 10 finish in the first 3 years the AD will be fired.
This whole situation was handled terribly by the AD, makes me glad we have Maturi (not sarcasm, comparatively maturi has been a lot better).

The happiest guy in the country right now?
John B (Michigan Basketball Coach)
All of the turmoil pretty much assures he can't be on the hotseat for quite a while.

It would actually be a good hire, but the AD might not make it to his 1st game alive. The reality is Mason hasn't coached in 4 years and was fired by one of the worst programs in the conference. That would go over like a lead balloon if there ever was one. But Mason's main flaw was he didn't like to work very hard at recruiting. At Michigan, you don't have to. I think he would win big there.

I think the days of Michigan not having to work very hard at recruiting have fallen by the wayside. There is only one school were you dont' have to work hard to recruit, Texas. There you just have to select correctly, which is easier said than done.

Mason had a good system that worked for him and the places he coached, but he isn't the greatest in game coach. I would guess this rumor is being pushed by Mason's people as this is the level of program he feels is the appropriate place for him to be coaching.

Wow... If that actually happened, it would boost my hatred for scUM, by a lot. Not enough to pass Wisky, but might leapfrog Iowa..

Mason is actually a decent choice. Given his age he would be a filler for 4-5 years and then Michigan can hire from strength. If he doesn't do well he could be canned at any time. Michigan is in a desperate position right now and needs someone to right the ship. mason could do that though I would be a little worried that he has not been coaching for 4 years.

AD is going to get fired over this no matter what.

Geez. I wouldn't know what to do with Mason as head of Michigan. My heart is already overflowing with hatred for Iowa and Wisconsin. I've despised Nebraska for as long as I can remember, but old Mase might top all of those. He was a great offensive coach. Too bad he couldn't be bothered with the other essential duties of a college coach.

Wow... If that actually happened, it would boost my hatred for scUM, by a lot. Not enough to pass Wisky, but might leapfrog Iowa..

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone dislike Mich over this?? We fired him years ago, it isn't like they'd be stealing him or anything. I think it would be a wise hire by Mich. The type of lineman that RR needed for his offense are similar to what Mase liked, recruiting a 5star QB and a 5star RB to come in and immediately start at Michigan should be a slam dunk. This would limit the 'rebuild' time needed.

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone dislike Mich over this?? We fired him years ago, it isn't like they'd be stealing him or anything. I think it would be a wise hire by Mich. The type of lineman that RR needed for his offense are similar to what Mase liked, recruiting a 5star QB and a 5star RB to come in and immediately start at Michigan should be a slam dunk. This would limit the 'rebuild' time needed.

IALTO!

To all the Mason bashers...relax...it's not going to happen.

BUT, it would be the smartest thing that Michigan could do to get back to the top of the conference and to have a chance to compete with OSU again.

Michigan NEEDS to be able to run the football and control the clock. That IS what Michigan football is all about. When Michigan can RUN the football, they can also hit some home runs with the pass to their All-American ends. And, with the running backs that Michigan can attract, they can take it to the house with 60 yard bursts and with a LOT of authority once or twice a game or they can ram 15 play drives down the oppositions throats when needed.

The lines on both offense and defense have typically been good to excellent.

Mason would win and win BIG at Michigan. He get along just fine with the people who matter. At Michigan ALL you have to do is stay toward the top of the conference, beat OSU at least half the time and win a Big Ten Championship about every third season.

Michigan's big problem right now is that there aren't enough couches out there who remember Bo...and...Woody. There aren't enough coaches who truely understand that Ann Arbor...Columbus tradition of football. It is different at both of those schools. It IS Big Ten tradition. It is played toward the end of November in all of the elements and it is all about being able to run the ball and to stop the run.

The traditions are all being lost. Michigan even decided to trash the tradition their program built by going with richrod and his spread. Well...Michigan found out that richrod was NO Bo...was NO Woody...was NO Lloyd Carr. Michigan crapped out and their teams became crap under richrod.

Mason would be an excellent choice to bring Michigan back into the Big Ten. But, don't worry Mason bashers...the current ad at Michigan is too "badger joel macturi"-like.

Mason could keep Michigan from becoming the next Notre Dame. Michigan NEEDS to return to the Big Ten style of football that made them great. They need to be a "tailback-U." For decades, a lot of the great tailbacks played there. They always seemed to have one...or two...with a couple more just waiting their chance as they pounded their way toward THE GAME and the chance to play for the championship in either Ann Arbor or Columbus. They need to run the ball and stop the run. However, the current administration in Ann Arbor is not capable of doing the right thing any longer. They are taking their cues from South Bend and from a place to the west of Ann Arbor that used to play Big Ten Football with the best of them a half-century ago. Mason KNOWS what the Ann Arbor/Columbus fans know as THE GAME is all about. He understands the mutual hate/respect/rivalry/tradition and passion involved in that game. Hehas been a part of it as a player and as a coach. Not everybody "gets" that. Mason does.

Don't worry Mason bashers...Ann Arbor is going to do what Ann Arbor is going to do. Mason will not be hired there.

Can't speak for Formo, but I already don't like Michigan. I'm not a guy who cheers for other teams in the conference. I hate Glen Mason 10x more than I do Brewster and Mason did far more good than harm for the program. I don't care for arrogance and I sure as hell don't like it when you're arrogant without anything to back it up. Mason's smugness rubs a lot of people the wrong way. It doesn't matter where he ends up coaching again (if he ever coaches again), I won't be pulling for him.

Well, breaking the plane: any coach worth a crap doesn't want you pulling for them any way. Some charmer you are... I'll forever be thankful for Glen Mason and what he did for our program AND for what he did to push the idea that the Gophers needed to return to campus. Also, for selling the naming rights deal to Cooper at TCF BANK, even the name of our stadium will always remind us that Glen Mason was at the Unviersity of Minnesota and that he did the University of Minnesota a hell of a lot of good. He's certainly the ONLY available coach out there who played such a big part in returning the "lost in the wilderness" Golden Gopher Football Program" back to a Big Ten on campus stadium. Not many coaches have managed to have played a key role in MOVING a Big Ten Football Program to a Big Ten Campus and still be living in 2011.

; 0 )

You don't think it would be a slam dunk that the winningest program in college FB history would be able to recruit the elite level QB's and RB's in the country with the offer of immediate playing time??

Wow...it took you this long to show up and bow down before your bronzed statue of Glen?
BUT, it would be the smartest thing that Michigan could do to get back to the top of the conference and to have a chance to compete with OSU again.
Michigan NEEDS to be able to run the football and control the clock. That IS what Michigan football is all about. When Michigan can RUN the football, they can also hit some home runs with the pass to their All-American ends. And, with the running backs that Michigan can attract, they can take it to the house with authority about once a game.
This assumes Glen could survive the fan hatred of the losses that would accompany the transition to his system from RichRod’s spread.
The lines on both offense and defense have typically been good to excellent.
Not recently.
Mason would win and win BIG at Michigan. He get along just fine with the people who matter. At Michigan ALL you have to do is stay toward the top of the conference, beat OSU at least half the time and win a Big Ten Championship about every third season.
Um, no. Staying towards the top of the conference won’t cut it. They have to be winning the conference or be in contention to win the conference almost every year for their fan base to be happy. Anything else is a disappointment. Ask Carr about that.
Michigan's big problem right now is that there aren't enough couches out there who remember Bo...and...Woody. There aren't enough coaches who truely understand that Ann Arbor...Columbus tradition of football. It is different at both of those schools. It IS Big Ten tradition. It is played toward the end of November in all of the elements and it is all about being able to run the ball and to stop the run.
So the horrendous defense isn’t their biggest problem? A part of the team that isn’t Glen’s strong suit? If they make “tradition” the number one issue then I hope they enjoy joining Notre Dame in the list of “helmet” schools that can’t cut it anymore.
The traditions are all being lost. Michigan evan tried to trash tradition by going with richrod. Well...Michigan found out that richrod was NO Bo...was NO Woody...was NO Lloyd Carr. Michigan crapped out and their teams became crap under richrod.
Yes, the reason they crapped out was because RichRod didn’t know who the #1 jersey was supposed to be reserved for. His historically inept defense had nothing to do with it.
Mason would be an excellent choice to bring Michigan back into the Big Ten. But, don't worry Mason bashers...the current ad at Michigan is too "badger joel macturi"-like.
I agree that he could get them back to being competitive. How much fire he had in his belly would determine whether he got them to the top or if he’d be gone in Year 4 when the fans and boosters revolt over the early losses he’d take during the system transition.
Mason could keep Michigan from becoming the next Notre Dame. Michigan NEEDS to return to the Big Ten style of football that made them great. They need o be a "tailback-U." They need to run the ball and stop the run. However, the current administration in Ann Arbor is not capable of doing the right thing any longer. They are taking their cues from South Bend and from a place to the west of Ann Arbor that used to play Big Ten Football with the best of them a half-century ago. Don't worry Mason bashers...Ann Arbor is going to do what Ann Arbor is going to do. Mason will not be hired there.
You're right about one thing. Mason won't get hired their. Something tells me everyone in AA is relieved by this.

Nice job finishing strong with empy drivel btw. I’m impressed. :eek:

Michigan would never hire an OSU man. Heck, they have a hard time hiring a non-Michigan man. Also, I've heard Mason talk enough about his love for all things OSU that I'm not even sure he'd betray his loyalties and work for his alma mater's hated rival.

Stranger things have happened (Favre in Purple) but history says this won't come close to happenning. It just doesn't come close to adding up.

Wow...it took you this long to show up and bow down before your bronzed statue of Glen?

I'm surprised, too. Though when your posts ramble on as long as Wren's do, I suppose it takes a while to jot everything down.

If Mason is such a great hire, why hasn't anyone hired him? Do university presidents and athletics directors all over the country know so much less than some poster on a message board? Mason's offense might work, but if you fire RR because of his bad defense, wouldn't you want to hire a coach who has a reputation for good defenses?

And coaches do in fact understand the Michigan - Ohio St rivalry. It's no different than the Minnesota - Iowa rivalry or any other rivalry. The only real difference is that more people pay attention to the Michigan - Ohio State rivalry.

You don't think it would be a slam dunk that the winningest program in college FB history would be able to recruit the elite level QB's and RB's in the country with the offer of immediate playing time??

You didn't say elite, you said five star. According to Rivals there are 3 five start running backs and 0 five star quarterback's in this year's recruiting classes.

College football is mainly what have you done for me lately. If you notion of winningest program carried weight Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden would be playing in the national championship game every year. Maybe a blue chip kid from Michigan cares about returing the school to the glory days, but it doesn't matter to kids outside the state unless they have a Michigan connection.

RichRod ran an offense that was very friendly to highly athletic running backs and QB's. Where was his immediate impact 5 star running back. If they hire a coach who runs a similiar style offense (and Les Miles most certainly would) there probably won't be playing time at the QB position for two years.

Michigan would never hire an OSU man. Stranger things have happened (Favre in Purple) but history says this won't come close to happenning.

You do know that Bo Schembeckler was an assistant at tOSU under Woody right?

Top Bottom