High School spring practice

B. Number of Practices: During the Summer Coaching Waiver period (June and July) an individual or team may not participate in more than eleven days of practice as defined above, with no more than four practices may be a “Contact Practice” (as defined above). Days and practices at a team camp count toward these limits.

The policy about limiting practices was put in place about 6? years ago with the follow up that ALL other sports would be facing the same restrictions. Of course, that's never happened. They only limit football.
Legit question about B above. How many teams would have actually issued equipment so that contact practices could even take place? I'm assuming guys have to turn in their gear at the end of the season like we did back in the day?

Legit question about B above. How many teams would have actually issued equipment so that contact practices could even take place? I'm assuming guys have to turn in their gear at the end of the season like we did back in the day?
Oh you would be shocked to know how many teams reissue equipment and have padded practices against other schools. And I'm talking from small outstate schools. I am sure the metro is no different. I know of a school we play during the season that scrimmages 4-5 other teams during the summer and also goes to padded team camp for a full week.

There was another school in the same part of the state where the coach got suspended for a couple of games because he held practices at the beginning of August. And that team did pretty well this season.

Year your training in Speed, Strength and Agility is happening already. Some do it through the school and others will do it by going to a training center like ETS.
Spring football will not happen as they already have summer "training camp" . Some schools will do that for quite a bit of the summer and others for a few weeks.
Why didn't this argument apply to hockey, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, etc. where year-round clubs have taken over??

You could just do all training for those sports through the school, right? But families don't do that (anymore).

The basis of my argument is really no more complex than: just because, for some reason that to me is not apparent and has not been explained by anyone here (I don't know if it is really explainable), it hasn't happen so far in football, is not proof that it cannot happen in football.

Why didn't this argument apply to hockey, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, etc. where year-round clubs have taken over??

You could just do all training for those sports through the school, right? But families don't do that (anymore).

The basis of my argument is really no more complex than: just because, for some reason that to me is not apparent and has not been explained by anyone here (I don't know if it is really explainable), it hasn't happen so far in football, is not proof that it cannot happen in football.
Those sports/ clubs don’t just train, they play games and lots of them. That isn’t ever going to happen for football due to the nature of the sport and also due to the structure of it.
Training in football is year round and has been for quite some time. It’s games that are limited to the fall. Although as Gopherwatcher stated during the summer most if not all schools will scrimmage others at team camps or other means.

at the risk of being simplistic:

football is by nature a more 'violent' sport with the amount of contact. so (I believe) football has more limitations imposed to limit risk to athletes including injuries.

sure, injuries happen in other sports. you can have concussions and torn ACL's in basketball, etc. but if football teams were playing 25 to 30 games a year like basketball does, the amount of injuries would only go higher.

for other "year-round" sports, there is increasing concern about 'range-of-motion' injuries such as girls volleyball players with rotator cuff issues from swinging repeatedly at the ball. add the more violent nature of football, and I think that limitations are reasonable especially when you are talking about 15, 16, 17-year old kids who are still growing and maturing.

Spring/summer/winter football practice is pretty much worthless for high school kids except QB's and WR's. And the good ones play 7 on 7 summer passing leagues. Fall season alone is fine so we can now end this thread

Nearly 100% of schools issue equipment sometime in very early June for the vast majority of their fall athletes.

Top Bottom