Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

If three point shooting is your biggest strength, 32% isn't very good. Maybe he will improve though. I think Gabe could be a really solid player so I'm hoping they transfer here.
Yeah I was surprised it was 32% and only 63% free throws. Coach trusted him though and often played him down the stretch over a starter in the AAC tournament. He helped to space the floor and keep the defense honest while others drove. Reminds me of Gabe, he's a 3 point shooter, but he's not

Need to keep:
Gabe
Robbins
Williams
Mash
Mitchell
Ihnen

Then bring i what the new staff can add. Not old Pitino recruits.
Those are all Pitino recruits. Take that for what it is worth, but they are. Gabe can leave. He was good as a Freshman, but only got worse from there. This team is better off without him.

Those are all Pitino recruits. Take that for what it is worth, but they are. Gabe can leave. He was good as a Freshman, but only got worse from there. This team is better off without him.
Lol, you watch the defense after Gabe went down? Gabe is an elite perimeter defender. Just watch him on the defensive end. He is really good at moving his feet and staying in front of his man. He also does a great job fighting through screens.

Lol, you watch the defense after Gabe went down? Gabe is an elite perimeter defender. Just watch him on the defensive end. He is really good at moving his feet and staying in front of his man. He also does a great job fighting through screens.
Yes, I agree that he is a very good defender. We can find someone that defends players.

If Gabe entered the portal every P6 team would want him. Yeah, let's give up that kind of talent.
Every P6 team would want a very good defender? Yes. Every P6 team would want an alleged 'shooter' that shoot 35% from 2-point and 30% from 3-point? I would still pass. Sorry if that offends you.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree that he is a very good defender. We can find someone that defends players.
Apparently not, considering the post you replied to laid out in pretty simple terms that the start of our defensive collapse last year was when Gabe went down.

Gabe also brings tons of intangibles. He's a leader that is respected in the locker room. He's also a DE guy and came here because of Ben Johnson. He ain't going anywhere, but I bet you see him be better with Ben here.

Seriously! Gabe was the only truly good overall defender the Gophers had last season. On-Ball, Off-Ball, Through and around screens, Team Defense, always took and almost always handled the other teams best offensive player. Believe it or not, you can't always just find another guy like that. Physically maybe, but those of us who've paid attention to that side of the ball, it's extremely difficult to find a player with both the ability and the mindset to really play good D consistently.

Apparently not, considering the post you replied to laid out in pretty simple terms that the start of our defensive collapse last year was when Gabe went down.

Gabe also brings tons of intangibles. He's a leader that is respected in the locker room. He's also a DE guy and came here because of Ben Johnson. He ain't going anywhere, but I bet you see him be better with Ben here.
I hope so. He shot 24.5% from 3-point last year. Hard to be worse. Gabe seems like a great kid, but the last two years he has been a detriment on the offensive side of the ball. The stats show that. If he is here, I hope he is shit tons better than he has been.

I hope so. He shot 24.5% from 3-point last year. Hard to be worse. Gabe seems like a great kid, but the last two years he has been a detriment on the offensive side of the ball. The stats show that. If he is here, I hope he is shit tons better than he has been.
Last year sure. The year before, he was still valuable offensively even if his shooting percentages were down. He was the eye of most defenses and created space for Carr and others. Value goes beyond just a simple shooting percentage.

In what respects?

Why? What will Johnson do differently if you are referencing shooting %?

KyKy Tandy 6'1" CG 4*
CJ Wilcher 6' 6" SG 4*
Daniel Ramsey 6' 8" PF 3*

All these guys are in the portal from Xavier, recruited by our new coach. Add in Jamison Battle who went to DeLaSalle and you have some pretty good leads for our new coach to go after.

KyKy Tandy 6'1" CG 4*
CJ Wilcher 6' 6" SG 4*
Daniel Ramsey 6' 8" PF 3*

All these guys are in the portal from Xavier, recruited by our new coach. Add in Jamison Battle who went to DeLaSalle and you have some pretty good leads for our new coach to go after.
All good, need a couple 6'10" dudes though. Not like Ben Johnson wouldn't understand that, so I'm sure he's all over it. Battle would be great, but he'll look a little like Brandon Johnson, who gave his all but cannot make up for the lack of height other than Robbins.

Really? Either you're exaggerating or you didn't say that with a straight face.

It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but mostly because not EVERY P6 team needs someone at Gabe's position. But you can bet that coaches - much more than most on a message board like this - would look at intangibles and defense a lot more than 3pt %. Gabe would definitely have interest from 20+ P6 teams.

All good, need a couple 6'10" dudes though. Not like Ben Johnson wouldn't understand that, so I'm sure he's all over it. Battle would be great, but he'll look a little like Brandon Johnson, who gave his all but cannot make up for the lack of height other than Robbins.

I think by far our greatest needs are in the backcourt. Assuming no one else of significance transfers (and I think someone more likely than not would have entered his name by now if that was his intention), we have Robbins, Johnson (he indicated that he would like to come back and experience a real Big Ten season), Ihnen, Freeman, maybe Mitchell, and the two incoming freshmen (one who definitely has D1 post size at this point). I think that group should be adequate to good already and I think all of those players deserve a chance to see what they could do under a new coach. I could see recruiting a decent small forward/big guard.

Meanwhile, in the back court, we have Gabe, Gach, and Williams. I believe we have 3 openings (the temporary rules allow the Gophers to fund more than 13 scholarships if they wish for players who are opting for an additional year - that would apply to Johnson so we could have 4 openings). At minimum we need two points guards and we really could use another guard who actually can shoot well from the outside.

In what respects?

Why? What will Johnson do differently if you are referencing shooting %?

Great question. I think Ben will run an offense with more movement and something not so ball screen dominant. I also think Ben is looking to get up and down the floor a little more. Also Gabe will be more comfortable and happy playing for Ben.

Bragging about "tons of intangibles" is just a way to justify playing someone who is not contributing in the stats. I fully understand that excelling at sports includes doing all of the little stuff that isn't always noticed by the fans. But you need to carry your weight in a B1G roster and you can't afford to play someone just because they are a nice guy...

I am not saying this defines Gabe, I was just responding to the intangibles comment in general.

I am not saying this defines Gabe, I was just responding to the intangibles comment in general.

When I think of "intangibles," I think of leadership ability or the great locker room guy who keeps his teammates loose and upbeat. I don't see Gabe as either of those. I guess I would also think of the guy who just has a knack/instinct for being that really good team player on the floor who helps at the right moment, instinctively finds the open man, or regularly dives on those loose balls. I don't think he's all that much on that dimension either.

Battle is a wing, not a PF. Also, Johnson was pretty damn good for us. Not his fault we didn't have a competent center behind Robbins. If BJ wants to come back and play another year, I would love to see him in Maroon and Gold again.

Top Bottom