Henley in portal

Any commitment is a 2-way street. A coach can leave whenever they want. If they have a better situation, they can leave. If they are fired, they get guaranteed money. A college kid wants to leave for a better situation and people melt down.

These kids are not getting married, they are trying to figure out what they want to do in life. I am about as committed and loyal as they come. However, I think you are reading far too much into kids pursuing the best path for themselves.

I may write a book on society breaking down, but college kids transferring has no section in it. If anything, people are far too loyal to stupid.
Well, I mean, they do have to pay the buyout.

Would you be cool with scholarships having buyouts?

It's 100% fact that the U NILs will not offer NIL to incoming recruits or transfers. They will tell them that there are opportunities for them once they get established here. But it's not used as a recruiting tool. Do some research on it or listen to Derek Burns on a podcast explain it. It's all very available info.
Fact?

E
I guess we know why Evans left. Henley called him and said "you can still come here but I wont be here when you arrive"

Evans left for 500,000+ reasons via a back-alley offer while he was signed to an LOI with the Gophers.

I agree that Samuels didn’t offer much but Henley was a hot mess for a while and probably needed his minutes cut back some. I think it maybe took a little pressure off him and he played much better late in the season. Unfortunately in todays transfer portal world you can’t bench a player without risking him leaving the program.
Good point and interesting as another poster talked about how Carr, per them, appears to love accountability.

Some on here wanna play both sides of the fence😟

It's 100% fact that the U NILs will not offer NIL to incoming recruits or transfers. They will tell them that there are opportunities for them once they get established here. But it's not used as a recruiting tool. Do some research on it or listen to Derek Burns on a podcast explain it. It's all very available info.

None of that refutes that there are more NIL opportunities than people think here. There are plenty of people who still think that number is zero, which is completely false.

None of that refutes that there are more NIL opportunities than people think here. There are plenty of people who still think that number is zero, which is completely false.
I don't think it's zero, but I think other schools are using it more...effectively shall we say.

We can't outbid any other team. That is what I've been told at least.
We take a more "equitable" approach, I hear. I can see both sides of the philosophy. It's a mess.

I don't think it's zero, but I think other schools are using it more...effectively shall we say.

95% of the league is playing by the same rules we are. The 5% that aren't are the same 5% that have always been ignoring the rules. And for several of them, it's not even working out that well.

It’s like some parents making their kids do their chores in order to get their allowance, while others just give their kids the money without requiring any effort. Most kids, if given the choice, would take the latter parents. Our NIL system is the former.

It’s like some parents making their kids do their chores in order to get their allowance, while others just give their kids the money without requiring any effort. Most kids, if given the choice, would take the latter parents. Our NIL system is the former.
Losing builds character.

Losing tends to create excuses, the finger rarely turns inward.
"When things go wrong in your command, start wading for the reason in increasing larger concentric circles around your own desk.” -General Bruce Clarke

I agree completely. Coaches should also be allowed to cut players and move on from them without any issue (which they have already sort of been doing). I can't blame a kid for going wherever he wants and getting money (if that's part of it). I don't blame the player.
As you said, coaches have been moving on from players for a long time. Now it's payback time and everybody but the players are pissed about it.

No I don't. I do what I commit to doing. If I give you my word, sign a letter to that effect- then I'm doing it. You on the other hand probably do what you feel like. That is much of what is wrong with people these days.
Ok, Dennis.
In my experience the more somebody tells me how much they honor their commitments the more I know that I better be careful.

As you said, coaches have been moving on from players for a long time. Now it's payback time and everybody but the players are pissed about it.
Yeah, I agree. I think we should just completely open it up.

Schools should be able to offer contracts without "buyout" (you can transfer without sitting out) or offers with "buyouts" (where you have to sit out a year after you transfer).

Yet, a month ago legions of posters were hoping Henley would leave. Said there was no hope of him ever being a Big Ten player.
I was/am one that doesn't really care about losing him a a player. I think he is easily replaced talent wise. My thing is Ben was brought here to build a foundation and recruit and keep kids and it was a slow build so expect rough spots. Yah that's all BS. He's an awful coach who has now had essentially a mass exodus 3 straight years. Looks more like a destroyer not a builder.

How do we handle it?

We don't write contracts guaranteeing high school kids certain amounts of NLI money before they arrive on campus. We offer them a chance to join a collective once they are an actual student-athlete on campus and the collective helps align them with NLI opportunities.

You do get that there are certain schools doing the former - which was not the intent of NLI - and some doing only the latter. Each university interprets the rules on their own.

again, it all comes down to this:

Can the Gopher Coaches find a way to replace the departed players with better players?

if the new players are better than the old players, that makes the team better. (at least theoretically)
If the new players are not better than the old players, that makes the team worse.

If nothing else, this does give Johnson an opportunity to re-balance the roster. Of course, this brings up two related questions: Does he want to re-balance the roster? and If yes, is he able to re-balance the roster?

again, it all comes down to this:

Can the Gopher Coaches find a way to replace the departed players with better players?

if the new players are better than the old players, that makes the team better. (at least theoretically)
If the new players are not better than the old players, that makes the team worse.

If nothing else, this does give Johnson an opportunity to re-balance the roster. Of course, this brings up two related questions: Does he want to re-balance the roster? and If yes, is he able to re-balance the roster?
If by balancing the roster you mean equally spread between classes, I think that is close to irrelevant in the free transfer era. If you mean balancing by position, that is an important goal.

We don't write contracts guaranteeing high school kids certain amounts of NLI money before they arrive on campus. We offer them a chance to join a collective once they are an actual student-athlete on campus and the collective helps align them with NLI opportunities.

You do get that there are certain schools doing the former - which was not the intent of NLI - and some doing only the latter. Each university interprets the rules on their own.
The manner MN uses isn't working. Change.

Is the money then split evenly among the players or can one get far more than the others?
You do get that there are certain schools doing the former
I do get that- yes.
- which was not the intent of NLI - and some doing only the latter. Each university interprets the rules on their own.
Always get a tax accountant that interprets the tax rules in your favor- never do anything illegal but take all it gives you. If we are not taking the grey area in an era where the rule book looks like this- we are losing.

Top Bottom