Have your expectations for a successful season changed post Purdue game?

I'll be fine with 3 losses max.
1st let's take a look at the teams they feasted on.

New Mexico (1 - 4) lost to FIU 21 - 7

Western Ill (0-5) lost to SD State 34 to 10

Colorado (0 - 5) lost to Arizona 20 to 43

Mich St (2-3) lost to Maryland 27 to 13

Gopher's, in a division where all teams are 1 - 1 except Wisconsin (0 - 2), could potentially lose 3 to 4 more games.. Illinois, Penn State, Iowa with Nebraska and Wisconsin a toss up.

One thing that was proven yesterday is that the West is up for grabs…I think teams will continue to beat each other up. Plenty of hope for the Gophers. If we get Floyd and keep the Axe we’ll all be giddy again.

I still think they can get get to 8 wins during the season.

Even as bad as the Gophers played Purdue was only slightly better. Disappointing that you could have stolen one but didn’t get it done.

B1G West is wide open. Gophers were the one week favorite. Now it appears Illinois is the best team in the West. After next week it might be another team considered the favorite. 🤷‍♂️

Good Lord, everyone - chill. Did I forget to wear my lucky shirt yesterday? Yes. Am I truly sorry? Absolutely. Will I never again forget to wear said lucky shirt on Gopher game days? You betcha. We'll be OK. I had a funny feeling about this game anyways. Regardless, both Sconnie and the Chickenhawks got depantsed yesterday, so there's that :)

Well, now that they've shown both how good and how bad they can be, I don't have any expectations. Why? Because just like virtually all Gopher teams (or Minnesota teams in general), they obviously can't handle high expectations of any kind. So, I no longer have any expectations for this team. Honestly, they can beat anyone or find ways to lose to anyone left on the schedule. That much is pretty obvious.

Um… what?

Very simple. If we were 11-1 after the regular season, then a loss (possibly a pretty close one) in the Big Ten championship game would still leave us with an 11-2 record, a high bowl placement with a chance to get a 12th win in the bowl. A 9-3 Gopher team going into the Big Ten championship is likely to get stomped by Ohio State and have a 9-4 record afterward with possibly a lower bowl placement than they might have received with a 9-3 record.

Very simple. If we were 11-1 after the regular season, then a loss (possibly a pretty close one) in the Big Ten championship game would still leave us with an 11-2 record, a high bowl placement with a chance to get a 12th win in the bowl. A 9-3 Gopher team going into the Big Ten championship is likely to get stomped by Ohio State and have a 9-4 record afterward with possibly a lower bowl placement than they might have received with a 9-3 record.
At the worst, an expected loss against Ohio State at 9-3 to go to 9-4 would take us from an average bowl game to another average bowl game. Saying you don't want to play for the conference championship because 9-4 looks worse than 9-3 is some absolute defeatist mentality. I can confidently tell you that making it to Indy would move the recruiting needle far more than having one extra loss.

At the worst, an expected loss against Ohio State at 9-3 to go to 9-4 would take us from an average bowl game to another average bowl game. Saying you don't want to play for the conference championship because 9-4 looks worse than 9-3 is some absolute defeatist mentality. I can confidently tell you that making it to Indy would move the recruiting needle far more than having one extra loss.
While my other posts may make you think I'm totally negative on the Gophers I would love to see them in Indy. But one has to be realistic and understand it's a long shot.

While my other posts may make you think I'm totally negative on the Gophers I would love to see them in Indy. But one has to be realistic and understand it's a long shot.
I completely agree. The post I was responding to was saying that they'd prefer to not make it to Indy as a 9 win team, which is ridiculous to say as a fan.

Top Bottom