Have your expectations for a successful season changed post Purdue game?

Still Indy or bust. Was hoping for a special bowl but the trip to Indy is more important for me. Since this is likely the last year we’ll be able to do it before they drop divisions.

if they finish in a tie, Purdue wins the tiebreaker on head-to-head.
True, if it’s a two-team tie. False, if three or more teams tie for first. By the looks of the division right now, a logjam for first sure seems to be a real possibility.

Not really.

One game is not the season.
One game is not, but it's such an eye opener. Purdue is an average defense at best that was supposed to be struggling against the pass.

We looked helpless today on offense.

We are going to see much better defenses than this. Our receivers could not get separation for the most part, and our offensive line did not control the line of scrimmage. This is very depressing for me going forward.

Last edited:

It appeared that the Gophers were dispirited, maybe because of Ibrahim's absence, but even more distracted. That opening play had to be deflating after all the rushing success this year. Late hit out of bounds? Dropped pass in the endzone that hit the received in the chest? Missed 28 yard FG? Not the discipline we've seen this year nor the kind that inspires hope for a special season.

I'm lost why people keep calling this Bowling Green all over. So anytime the offense lays an egg going forward it's Bowling Green 2.0? Very weird. Yes, with elevated expectations you have to win these but it's not like Purdue is a terrible team. I didn't see Illinois looking this good, and i think that has me second guessing us taking the West more than this loss.

Yes! Not because we got this one loss but saw how we played and how terrible our O is without a running game.

We were exposed today.

ILL - L
PSU - L
Rutgers - toss up
Neb - toss up
NW - toss up
Iowa - L
WI - toss up

Very likely we’d be 4-8

We seriously sucked today! Worse than FAU! 🤷🏻‍♂️ Without a healthy Mo = 4-8 👍

Yes! Not because we got this one loss but saw how we played and how terrible our O is without a running game.

We were exposed today.

ILL - L
PSU - L
Rutgers - toss up
Neb - toss up
NW - toss up
Iowa - L
WI - toss up

Very likely we’d be 4-8

We seriously sucked today! Worse than FAU! 🤷🏻‍♂️ Without a healthy Mo = 4-8 👍

Lol you can't be serious with this post.

Before the season, I thought a 9-3 team with chance of getting a 10th win in a bowl game would be a baseline level of success. I still think that's well within the range of possibilities but my confidence that the team will achieve that mark has taken a bit of a hit. After this game, I don't expect the team to exceed 9 regular season wins.

I think at this point, I'd prefer not to win the West. All it would be is a smackdown by Ohio State and another loss to our record. I wouldn't care if the team had an 11-1 or even 10-2 record going into that game but a 9-4 record after wouldn't be worth it.

The Pinstripe Bowl Committee just called...

In 2018 Purdue started the season 0-3 then went on to beat #2 OSU 49-20 in late October.

That OSU team went on to win the Rose Bowl.

Last year Purdue beat #2 Iowa 24-7 on the road the week after losing to Minnesota at home.

Iowa played in the B1G championship game last year.

Won't know what to make of this game until after the season is over.

Not really.

One game is not the season.
This is the biggest key, people blow so hot and cold about the result of one game when there are still 7 more conference games that will determine how the season turns out.

Today sucked, we played poorly and lost a game we should have won. It happens, the story of the season will be told by how we respond. Lots of football still to be played and anything can and probably will happen over the next couple months.

4-8 with the defense the gophers have, REALLY???

Yeah. That's idiotic. As poor as the Gopher's offense played today, and it was very poor, they were a dropped pass and missed chip shot field goal away from having 20 points and the lead in the fourth quarter.

My expectations changed from 12-0 to 10-2, but hey still good, we are gophers fans after all, we don’t get nice things constantly

Before the season, I thought a 9-3 team with chance of getting a 10th win in a bowl game would be a baseline level of success. I still think that's well within the range of possibilities but my confidence that the team will achieve that mark has taken a bit of a hit. After this game, I don't expect the team to exceed 9 regular season wins.

I think at this point, I'd prefer not to win the West. All it would be is a smackdown by Ohio State and another loss to our record. I wouldn't care if the team had an 11-1 or even 10-2 record going into that game but a 9-4 record after wouldn't be worth it.
Um… what?

Today the Gophers replicated Bowling Green and Illinois from last year. Bielema will be tougher this year at home; Nebraska looked good tonight; Penn State and Wisconsin on the road will not be easy, despite the Badgers having an off-year; Iowa is always tough. . Gophers were a total dud today with 47 yards rushing. Even with Mo in the game it might have been under 100 - though he may make the difference if healthy in whether Gophers can challenge for the West. Purdue would seem to be in the driver's seat now, but there could be four teams in the hunt, including the Gophers.

I'm lost why people keep calling this Bowling Green all over. So anytime the offense lays an egg going forward it's Bowling Green 2.0? Very weird. Yes, with elevated expectations you have to win these but it's not like Purdue is a terrible team. I didn't see Illinois looking this good, and i think that has me second guessing us taking the West more than this loss.

the "Bowling Green" reference has to do with the Gophers pulling a no-show.

It's one thing to play well and get beat by a better team. That didn't happen against Purdue. The Gophers played - by far - their worst game of the year, at a time when expectations had been raised. that, to me, is what "Bowling Green" represents. a loss where the team gave a poor effort.

I thought they were an 8 win team for sure and would have been happy with nine. I didn’t buy into the big time hype after beating MSU so no they didn’t change. Although I did think they would win today.

Top Bottom