Have your expectations for a successful season changed post Purdue game?

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
We had high expectations entering this fall. I still think for a successful season we should win the west. For me that hasn't changed and I still think Its possible. I had us 10-2 before the season started and Im sticking to that.

My expectations for the season have changed from winning the West and challenging OSU in Indy to hoping to maybe win a few more B1G games and limp into a crappy bowl. So yeah. And worse, I think this single game has changed the trajectory of the entire program from a hot team with a huge future to one that suggests that 2019 will be the program’s pinnacle. This was an inexcusable, devastating day for the program that will have ramifications for years to come, and feels much more like post-game Michigan 2003 than I’d ever thought could be possible.

We had high expectations entering this fall. I still think for a successful season we should win the west. For me that hasn't changed and I still think Its possible. I had us 10-2 before the season started and Im sticking to that.
I thought this team had a shot to go undefeated but I got caught up by early success. The head coach obviously doesn’t learn from past stupid decisions and I forgot that Morgan sucks. 8-4 at best with a chance to be worse if Mo is more hurt than what they say. So disappointing.

My expectations for the season have changed from winning the West and challenging OSU in Indy to hoping to maybe win a few more B1G games and limp into a crappy bowl. So yeah. And worse, I think this single game has changed the trajectory of the entire program from a hot team with a huge future to one that suggests that 2019 will be the program’s pinnacle. This was an inexcusable, devastating day for the program that will have ramifications for years to come, and feels much more like post-game Michigan 2003 than I’d ever thought could be possible.
You sound like me after last years Bowling Green game. Same problems popped up today. Those are the same problems that popped up in 2019 against Iowa and WI.

I’m not as pissed today because at least we lost to a Big Ten team, not a 31 point underdog MAC team, but yeah…

Three games where I’ve had the same reaction as you’re having now:
Michigan 2003
Iowa and Wisconsin 2019 (we just were flat and out coached and conservative)
Bowling Green last year.

I don’t have room for another and will let this one go.

Not at all. I predicted 9-3 before the season started. Still can achieve that or better.

You sound like me after last years Bowling Green game. Same problems popped up today. Those are the same problems that popped up in 2019 against Iowa and WI.

I’m not as pissed today because at least we lost to a Big Ten team, not a 31 point underdog MAC team, but yeah…

Three games where I’ve had the same reaction as you’re having now:
Michigan 2003
Iowa and Wisconsin 2019 (we just were flat and out coached and conservative)
Bowling Green last year.

I don’t have room for another and will let this one go.
Michigan 2003 was a way bigger gut punch then this game. For me at least

The Gophers were overhyped and they disappointed. Again. I’m 48. I’ve been thru this so much with this team that it hardly phases me anymore. Had a blast tailgating and the weather was nice. 🤷‍♂️

The Gophers were overhyped and they disappointed. Again. I’m 48. I’ve been thru this so much with this team that it hardly phases me anymore. Had a blast tailgating and the weather was nice. 🤷‍♂️
Had a good time at tailgate with the wife and kids. I need to stop convincing myself this team is turning a corner.

No. Going in to the season I thought they would lose to Michigan State and beat Purdue. They did the opposite. Division will still be decided final week of the season.

Bye week comes at a perfect time now. Rest up, Get Mo back, move on.

Expectations lowered more for the Mo injury then just the loss. I was hoping for a 2-loss team. If Mo is dinged up, this is a 4-loss team at best. Illinois replaces Wisconsin as the team to beat. Purdue and Illinois currently with head-to-head wins in the West.

Game Day on campus and going up 7-0, on Wisconsin was the peak of the Fleck era, I'm afraid. Or maybe beating Auburn, but I'll stick with the first one.

Anything 8 wins or more pre bowl is success

Anything short of a west division title is disappointing

It is possible to be successful and disappointing at the same time
This is correct.

Game Day on campus and going up 7-0, on Wisconsin was the peak of the Fleck era, I'm afraid. Or maybe beating Auburn, but I'll stick with the first one.
i mean I’ll be plenty satisfied if the program can be a consistent 9-game winner. the point, today anyway, is that this team seemed to be way better than merely a good B1G team through four weeks, and then transformed into a middling team in the first few minutes of toda’s game, and never adjusted except for the game-tying drive (immediately going back to what wasn’t working thereafter). It was just a stunning example of opportunity lost.

Really didn't expect that much of a drop-off without Mo.

So, my expectations remain high when 24 can play but drop substantially when 24 is out...

Speaking of #24, he was lobbying hard in the 1st Quarter to go out but his limp was obvious. Helmet on and engaging one of the medical staff I would guess. Helmet came off in the 2nd Quarter and did not come back on. Interstingly, there were a number of sideline offensive huddles that he did not participate in. Not the case last season where he was in practically every one but of course out for the season.

i mean I’ll be plenty satisfied if the program can be a consistent 9-game winner. the point, today anyway, is that this team seemed to be way better than merely a good B1G team through four weeks, and then transformed into a middling team in the first few minutes of toda’s game, and never adjusted except for the game-tying drive (immediately going back to what wasn’t working thereafter). It was just a stunning example of opportunity lost.
In two years, the degree of difficulty to reach the B1G championship/Rose Bowl goes up dramatically. Next year, we will not have a 6th year senior/QB/RB etc. If they were ever going to do it, this was the year. And they went a long ways towards blowing it today. Yes, some of their goals and an overall successful season can still be reached, but the Rose Bowl is dead and the others look doubtful.

They are just not deep enough on offense to beat even decent teams without Autman-Bell and Mo, that is clear. And they really should be. The lack of depth at RB and WR isn't excusable IMO.

A successful season imo means winning the west. So my expectations have not changed.

Now....if Mo were ruled out for an extended period of time.....that's a whole different thing. Mo is one of the best running backs in the nation....and him being out is SIGNIFICANT.

Jesus man. Get a grip.

Too early. This time last year people thought the Gophers might lose every remaining game (because if they were worse than BG no chance to win B1G games) and they were still there on the last day of the season with a good shot at the West title and with the Axe in hand.

I was frustrated with the game today. After thinking about it, I still think the team has everything ahead of them. A bye week and 7 more games, with no one in the West with more than 1 conference win. I hope Mo can be healthy and the OL can learn how to control the line of scrimmage again. If they do, they have what it takes to beat their rivals and win the West.

Yes, my expectations have changed.

This was Bowling Green all over again, only worse - because the stakes were higher.

Now, there is no more margin for error.

Purdue and the Gophers are each 1-1 in the conference. Purdue's toughest remaining games on paper are vs WI, IA and Ill. The Gophers have to play WI, IA, Ill and Penn State.

if they finish in a tie, Purdue wins the tiebreaker on head-to-head.

Before today, I thought the Gophers were the favorites to win the West. If I had to bet today, I would not bet on the Gophers winning the West.

No. Win the Big Ten West. We've come so close twice in the last few years. It's not a successful season at this point unless we can hit that mark.

Top Bottom