Has this recruiting cycle for Coach Fleck been successful thus far?

Kill/Claeys recruited 2 - 4* composite recruits total over their 6 years here, Coughlin and Jeff Jones, and Jones never played.

Fleck has 7 - 4* composite recruits on this upcoming roster alone, after having 9 - 4* recruits on last year's roster. He has 1 committed so far in this class, with the potential for more.

As of today Fleck has recruited 14 composite 4*s to Minnesota while the previous staff only recruited 2. That's on top of all of the lower 3* recruits he has developed. Not only has the talent increased on paper, it's obvious it has increased by just watching how much the gap has closed between Minnesota and Wisconsin/Iowa.
Do you mean on the field?

Who recruited these guys?

2020Antoine Winfield Jr.DB2nd (45th)Tampa Bay
Tyler JohnsonWR5th (161st)Tampa Bay
Kamal MartinLB5th (175th)Green Bay
Carter CoughlinLB7th (218th)New York Giants
Chris WilliamsonDB7th (247th)New York Giants
2019Blake CashmanLB5th (157th)New York Jets
2017Jalen MyrickDB7th (222nd)Jacksonville
Oh good lord, move on. Those 2020 guys may have committed to Kill/Claeys for the most part but they spent nearly their entire careers developing under and playing for Fleck.

Tyler Johnson specifically does not become the player he became under the old coaching staff because that coaching staff had no clue how to coach WRs.

Fleck is bringing in more talent than Kill/Claeys did.....and we know that because the team is doing better on the field. Still room for improvement which we will hopefully see over time but if you don't see an improvement in recruiting under Fleck then you are working really hard not to see it.

Question - depending on which side wins the argument, does that mean the Gophers will win more games this season?

Hey - I was a Kill/Claeys guy. but at some point, you have to move forward. My beef was with the U of MN AD and administration for the way they handled the situation. I can't blame Fleck for that.

Fleck is the Gophers coach. the better Fleck can recruit, the better it is for the program.
as long as Fleck is the Gophers coach, I want him to succeed.

and some day, assuming I am still alive, and the Gophers have a different coach, I will want that coach to succeed. if I'm dead, then I won't give a sh*t.

Dude, again, what is your point? We both know who recruited who. You quoted me saying Kill/Claeys had seven drafted between 2017-2022, so why are you asking me who recruited those guys?
because you were arguing earlier that players drafted after 2016 don't count. If we are talking about how many recruits per coach got drafted then it's factually accurate to give credit to Brew, Kill and PJ for who they recruited and then eventually got drafted. it's hysterical how you will turn facts into support for PJ at every turn when we are literally just talking about who recruited who. I've never said PJ was bad at recruiting I was simply pointing out the results from recruits who were eventually drafted are very similar. Don't worry, I'm done with this conversation. It's like asking my kids if they brushed their teeth and getting the run around as to the meaning of brushing teeth instead of straight answer.

Question - depending on which side wins the argument, does that mean the Gophers will win more games this season?

Hey - I was a Kill/Claeys guy. but at some point, you have to move forward. My beef was with the U of MN AD and administration for the way they handled the situation. I can't blame Fleck for that.

Fleck is the Gophers coach. the better Fleck can recruit, the better it is for the program.

and some day, assuming I am still alive, and the Gophers have a different coach, I will want that coach to succeed. if I'm dead, then I won't give a sh*t.
Once in a blue moon some guys talks about MASON even.

Like who carries a torch for Gen all these years like that?

I like Glen to some extent, but man ...

I have trouble beliving some of these folks ever watched those coaches and were happy with say the Kill era offense ... Mason ... insanity ... and so on.

It's weird, it used to be when a coach, or manager or such moved on most discusion does too. But something changed with sports discussion now where folks go on about the old regime. Some places the Vikings discussion during the off-season is all about Zimmer and the last GM ... like guies move on.

Next topic: New Coke, Yay, or Nay?

Well, considering Mason was our best coach in the last 40 years, being better than Mason would be a good thing.

You're conveniently leaving out all of the other "move the goal post arguments" people make.

"Why doesn't he beat Nebraska?"
"Why can't he even beat Purdue and Northwestern?"
"Why can't he win a Bowl Game?"
"Why can't he beat a top 20 team?"
"Why can't he schedule and win some games against Power Five teams?"

Why, because he's done all of those things in 5 short years.
I see you conveniently left out Fleck's record vs Iowa.

LOL

Difficult to recruit to Minneapolis, and with minimal NIL. Fleck is doing pretty well considering the circumstances. I'm worried he will move on it's so hard to be competitive here.

I see you conveniently left out Fleck's record vs Iowa.

LOL

Says, the guy who says "we" when referring to the Gophers even though he's a clear Hawk. Which is fine. But stop with "we" when talking about Minnesota.

because you were arguing earlier that players drafted after 2016 don't count. If we are talking about how many recruits per coach got drafted then it's factually accurate to give credit to Brew, Kill and PJ for who they recruited and then eventually got drafted. it's hysterical how you will turn facts into support for PJ at every turn when we are literally just talking about who recruited who. I've never said PJ was bad at recruiting I was simply pointing out the results from recruits who were eventually drafted are very similar. Don't worry, I'm done with this conversation. It's like asking my kids if they brushed their teeth and getting the run around as to the meaning of brushing teeth instead of straight answer.
No I did not argue that. I was comparing the first 6 years of the old regime to the first 6 of Fleck, and what Fleck would need to do to match the old regime going forward. Why would we compare 6 years of Fleck to 12 years of the old regime?

PJ has the brand new indoor facility and the upgraded student-athlete dining, studying, weights and care facility to recruit to, which is nice.

PJ, I believe, is the first coach to have the option of official visits in the summer, which is very nice.

The University (and the State) and private investors continue to sink tons of money into improving the appearance of the campus, which is nice. It has never looked better.

The improved dorms and private housing options are much nicer to sell. Dinkytown and Stadium Village and the West Bank have been just about totally remade. That whole area from the Stadium to Surly has created a whole new entertainment/residential area. Has to help recruiting.

Minnesota seems to be turning out more D1 athletes. Seeing more racial diversity throughout the suburbs and outstate areas. This seems to be helping. New wave of immigration impacting Minnesota talent base, similar to what Iron Range, packing plants once did in Bierman era.

Illinois has sucked which has helped recruiting that area. Nebraska has never had a worse run of football since the 60's...which helps some.

The money from TV continues to increase, which has allowed Minnesota to at least stay somewhat more competitive in staff salaries, which is nice.

Player payments are now quasi-legal, which I'm not sure helps or hurts. Minnesota has been a stickler on compliance, so maybe helps? Maybe not.

The athletic director, President, and Regents seem to all be on the same page in supporting football to be successful...that has been a struggle for many times during last half century.

PJ has had to deal with George Floyd and rioting in the streets, and increased crime on campus, which likely hurts, in different ways. PJ has had to deal with COVID, which had to be a challenge.

Kids quitting football to focus on hockey via the academy route or juniors or national team seems to be increasing, which doesn't help. Kids who would be great football players deciding on focusing on basketball similarly a hurdle with success of guys like Suggs. Wrestling remains a big deal in Minnesota. Now we have lacrosse.

Iowa State has been more attractive option lately, which hurts. Northwestern had a nice run, which hurts.

Last edited:

PJ has the brand new indoor facility and the upgraded student-athlete dining, studying, weights and care facility to recruit to, which is nice.

PJ, I believe, is the first coach to have the option of official visits in the summer, which is very nice.

The University (and the State) and private investors continue to sink tons of money into improving the appearance of the campus, which is nice. It has never looked better.

The improved dorms and private housing options are much nicer to sell. Dinkytown and Stadium Village and the West Bank have been just about totally remade. That whole area from the Stadium to Surly has created a whole new entertainment/residential area. Has to help recruiting.

Minnesota seems to be turning out more D1 athletes. Seeing more racial diversity throughout the suburbs and outstate areas. This seems to be helping. New wave of immigration impacting Minnesota talent base, similar to what Iron Range, packing plants once did in Bierman era.

Illinois has sucked which has helped recruiting that area.
Nebraska has never had a worse run of football since the 60's...which helps some.

The money from TV continues to increase, which has allowed Minnesota to at least stay somewhat more competitive in staff salaries, which is nice.

Player payments are now quasi-legal, which I'm not sure helps or hurts. Minnesota has been a stickler on compliance, so maybe helps? Maybe not.

The athletic director, President, and Regents seem to all be on the same page in supporting football to be successful...that has been a struggle for many times during last half century.

PJ has had to deal with George Floyd and rioting in the streets, and increased crime on campus, which likely hurts, in different ways. PJ has had to deal with COVID, which had to be a challenge.

Kids quitting football to focus on hockey via the academy route or juniors or national team seems to be increasing, which doesn't help. Kids who would be great football players deciding on focusing on basketball similarly a hurdle with success of guys like Suggs. Wrestling remains a big deal in Minnesota. Now we have lacrosse.

Iowa State has been more attractive option lately, which hurts. Northwestern had a nice run, which hurts.
I don't think that there is more instate talent. And Illinois is never consistently good for any real stretch of time. I guess Fleck does have to deal with Bielema locking it up Illinois now though...

Illinois has sucked which has helped recruiting that area. Nebraska has never had a worse run of football since the 60's...which helps some.

Surly helps recruiting? Freshmen love 99 IBU IPAs?

Minnesota HS football is not as big as other states, including Iowa and Wisconsin. Hockey players on the most part never liked playing football, they usually are smaller. Minnesota still has one Division 1 program, Iowa has three and JC. Wisconsin does not have Div. II, Div. III is pretty big in Minnesota. St. Thomas in the Pioneer is equal to a good Div. III conference. Minnesota should have a team or two in the valley.

The Anti-PJ people really are fighting hard on this one. Kudos to you for being as selective in your memory as you can be to best suit your argument.

PJ was brought in for recruiting because part of the reason Coyle mentioned Claeys was on his was out was due to recruiting.

Prior to Claeys being let go (with less than a month to signing day) Cleay's class was on target to be a low-60 class.

Fleck by brining over guys like John Michael Schmitz from Western U commit list got us to a composite 59 ranking.

So apples to apples, Fleck was already better than the one potential class from Tracey Claeys. And that's the end of that story.

You guys are really in the weeds on this one. Other than elite 5 stars it is hard to evaluate 3 &4 stars accurately. To whit, Michigan State made a living recruiting Cincinnati 3 stars. Most played in the big Catholic league with 4 all boys schools. Football Programs with 200-300 boys. These schools play 5-6 games a year against competition that is better than any team in Minn. There are a lot of good solid players with D1 talent and a select few elite players. They are well coached and disciplined. These schools have 15 coaches on average in their program. Ohio State gets the cream, Penn State and Michigan State get a lot. Lately, Kentucky has gotten a few. Minnesota should be combing that talent pool which they don’t. These kids are used to playing top competition. Cleveland also has some big programs too. 3 stars from these areas don’t make their bones by beating up on baby seal teams. Google St Edward’s 2021 state championship game. Play close attention to their lines and you will know what I mean.

You guys are really in the weeds on this one. Other than elite 5 stars it is hard to evaluate 3 &4 stars accurately. To whit, Michigan State made a living recruiting Cincinnati 3 stars. Most played in the big Catholic league with 4 all boys schools. Football Programs with 200-300 boys. These schools play 5-6 games a year against competition that is better than any team in Minn. There are a lot of good solid players with D1 talent and a select few elite players. They are well coached and disciplined. These schools have 15 coaches on average in their program. Ohio State gets the cream, Penn State and Michigan State get a lot. Lately, Kentucky has gotten a few. Minnesota should be combing that talent pool which they don’t. These kids are used to playing top competition. Cleveland also has some big programs too. 3 stars from these areas don’t make their bones by beating up on baby seal teams. Google St Edward’s 2021 state championship game. Play close attention to their lines and you will know what I mean.
Glen Mason used to get a lot of Ohio kids. Kill and Fleck haven’t focused on it quite so much.

Tell him to hurry up and get an outright Big Ten title before the Grimm Reaper comes to give me a ride in his boat.

Top Bottom