Harbison Transfer?

Its tough to make an immediate impact after an ACL injury, especially without previous college game experience. I still think he will be a very good receiver. Dang. Best of luck to him.

Damn. He looked really good in spring ball and had an awesome spring game. Wish him the best.

If you someone could get video of his 2 yards rushing against UNLV in 2012 we could make a montage. I keed.

Its tough to make an immediate impact after an ACL injury, especially without previous college game experience. I still think he will be a very good receiver. Dang. Best of luck to him.

From being suspended for a couple games, I don't think this has anything to do with his injury.

For those of you who don't use Twitter, this is what he tweeted:

Jamel Harbison @jamel_duce
Iama miss all my homeboys and the relationships that I've built on and off the field good luck to the gophers next year

(Question for him) Steve Montgomery JR @_TopFlight16
@jamel_duce u transferred or sum?

(Reply) @jamel_duce
@_TopFlight16 yea transferred

Barker, Mcdonald, Crawford Tufts, Harbeson and the Engel ACL injury, just decimation

Bummer. Wasn't his dad tweeting earlier in the year telling him to transfer?

Melvin Holland Jr. we need you!!!

Damnit. Seemed like a good kid when I talked to him (for less than a minute). I was really excited to see what he could do here.

Next man up.

Best of luck Jamel. No matter where you land, work hard, and get your degree.

Although I hate to see him go, beings that we are desperate at WR, yet he was a lil undersized for a B1G receiver, much as
Brandon Green or KJ Maye, who never really got a lot of passes thrown their way when you can rather throw to a larger
Wolitarsky or Maxx Williams.

As I have high hopes for Eric Carter, he's in a similar size category, I just hope he can be shifty and find the open zone
and can be easily seen by our shaky/break down and run QBs

Barker, Mcdonald, Crawford Tufts, Harbeson and the Engel ACL injury, just decimation

Serious question here, at what point do we need to wonder if the WR Coach Poore is not getting the job done? That is a lot of players at that position to epically fail. I know some of it is bad luck and some is on the players but it might be time to start wondering if there is a coaching issue here, or am I off base?

Serious question here, at what point do we need to wonder if the WR Coach Poore is not getting the job done? That is a lot of players at that position to epically fail. I know some of it is bad luck and some is on the players but it might be time to start wondering if there is a coaching issue here, or am I off base?

Barker and Engel became pretty decent wideouts, so his coaching seems strong there. Who knows how to interpret the others.

I think it is certainly a fair question to raise. Some of it is certainly out of his control. But, I will hold off my judgement a little while longer to see how are next crop, (i.e. Jones, wolitarsky) preform this spring/fall.

These are utter ugly bad breaks for the Gophers at WR.

With a run heavy offensive scheme, will this hinder the recruiting efforts or enhance it knowing immediate playing time is a great possibility? The larder needs to be stocked at any level including JC and PWOs.

We need fresh bodies to compliment Williams, Jones, & Wolitarski. Barring injuries, these guys are only going to get better. But, they need good backup depth.

It is weird.

Can't prove it at all but I'd say off base

We are talking wide receivers. Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant, Plaxico Burress, Percy Harvin, Keyshawn Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and on and on. Wide receivers are the most high maintenance people on the football team.
Wide receivers have the biggest egos on the football team. Yeah, all generalizations and sterotypes but the list is endless to develop the concept. I'd start with the wide receivers themselves before the coach.

Looking at the roster, we have a bunch of walk ons with decent to good size, but I haven't heard about any of them standing out. Going in to next year we have:
Isaac Fruchete at 6'3 204 most experienced returner at the position
Donovahn Jones at 6'3 190 who is undoubtedly are best chance for a playmaker at WR
Drew Wolitarsky at 6'3 220 who was more consistent than Jones but doesn't appear very fast or quick for the position
KJ Maye 5'10 (allegedly) 197 who seems to not be quick/fast enough to overcome his size to this point
Logan Hutton 6'1 181 hopefully he's the surprise contributor? Made some big plays on punt coverage
Cameron Wilson 6'3 215 I don't hold out much hope for a RS Senior who wasn't played a snap on offense to my knowledge
Devon Wright 6'0 196 similar to Wilson, but have no idea how the position switch has worked for him.

Obviously this group is in need of some immediate help. It doesn't seem like that long ago that a McDonald/Harbison receiving duo looked pretty good on paper for 2014.

Looking at the roster, we have a bunch of walk ons with decent to good size, but I haven't heard about any of them standing out. Going in to next year we have:
Isaac Fruchete at 6'3 204 most experienced returner at the position
Donovahn Jones at 6'3 190 who is undoubtedly are best chance for a playmaker at WR
Drew Wolitarsky at 6'3 220 who was more consistent than Jones but doesn't appear very fast or quick for the position
KJ Maye 5'10 (allegedly) 197 who seems to not be quick/fast enough to overcome his size to this point
Logan Hutton 6'1 181 hopefully he's the surprise contributor? Made some big plays on punt coverage
Cameron Wilson 6'3 215 I don't hold out much hope for a RS Senior who wasn't played a snap on offense to my knowledge
Devon Wright 6'0 196 similar to Wilson, but have no idea how the position switch has worked for him.

Obviously this group is in need of some immediate help. It doesn't seem like that long ago that a McDonald/Harbison receiving duo looked pretty good on paper for 2014.

Not apretty sight. It could be bad luck, but we appear 3-4 years behind in recruiting and depth at WR versus most other positions. This will hamper us. I don't see losing Harbison as much of an issue because he never really contributed anything. The only good news is we have immediate playing (and probably starting) time to sell.

Did Iowa fire their RB coach after their long string of injuries? Last year everyone was freaking out about the center position. This year it's wide receiver. Harbison didn't feel the need to follow the rules and there was a mutual parting of ways.

Did Iowa fire their RB coach after their long string of injuries? Last year everyone was freaking out about the center position. This year it's wide receiver. Harbison didn't feel the need to follow the rules and there was a mutual parting of ways.

Yep. This was about rules.

I didn't say we should fire anyone, just wondering if the Coach has any accountability here by not managing his position group better to date and wondering if there may be an issue with these players that are transferring and moving on butting heads with Poore and not wanting to stick.

Combine that with KJ Maye and Fruechte being less than impressive and it's time to examine things a little closer. Hopefully we start hitting on some recruits and hopefully Poore can be better at evaluating some talent that will want to stick it out and actually contribute.

I pretty much wrote him off after his latest suspension (even though many of you said not to), so this isn't that big of a deal to me. We really need Drew and Donovanhn to take the next step next year.

I didn't say we should fire anyone, just wondering if the Coach has any accountability here by not managing his position group better to date and wondering if there may be an issue with these players that are transferring and moving on butting heads with Poore and not wanting to stick.

Poore's name has never come up in any discussion. Harbison and McDonald had school/off the field issues. Barker had an off the field issue. Tufts wanted to run track and focus on that.

I pretty much wrote him off after his latest suspension (even though many of you said not to), so this isn't that big of a deal to me. We really need Drew and Donovanhn to take the next step next year.

I had also given up hope on getting anything out of him after all his issues this season but it is still a blow to the overall depth at an already razor thin position heading into next season. For this offense to really work the passing game has to be good enough to keep teams honest in the secondary. We don't need a stable of elite talent at WR but we do need guys that can consistently get open and make teams at least have to account for them. When teams feel they can cover our receivers without safety help it allows those guys to work in run support and makes it a whole lot tougher to move the ball on the ground.

Right now we are really banking on Jones being the guy, he certainly has the athletic ability, just have to hope he proves to have the skills needed to be a successful receiver at this level.

I think you're off base. Barker and DCT were already on the team before we hired Kill/Poore. Barker was a head case who no one wanted after he left, DCT struggled mightily and decided to run track, and Engel tore his ACL. Not sure what any staff or position coach could have done differently in those situations.

As for McDonald, we all knew there would be some challenges with him. But everyone was still thrilled to land him, as we should have been, because the risk vs. reward payoff was enticing. So the McDonald outcome, while disappointing, shouldn't be a complete surprise to anyone.

Harbison is the head scratcher. He seemed like a good, hard-working kid who would be successful coming into this season. Color me surprised by what happened.

Why haven't we looked at bringing in any JUCO WRs? Seems like it would make a lot of sense with most of our contributors being freshman and sophomores. And the fact we don't have a WR in this class yet.

Top Bottom